Author Topic: Without gym for a while  (Read 5569 times)

Notomorrow

• Getbig IV
Without gym for a while
« on: October 16, 2018, 09:30:48 PM »
Wont have a gym for a while. Out of country and just difficult. Been training 20 years, and just really want to maintain and train. basically need straight Prison style workout. Been lifting my suitcase with handle for bicep curls and one arm tricep extensions..actually got pretty sore...shocked muscle.

Two areas that are really hard are upper chest and biceps brachialis. My bis are thin and what really helped was a lot of reverse grip and hammer curls across body. Just really hard to do without weights. Even pull ups hit bis but not really outer. Pissed because my arms suck and with a lot of hard work on the brachialis I finally got happy with my progress and now no gym. Also weak upper chest so a ton of incline stuff that again is hard to replicate out of gym.

Any well balanced upper body no gym workout anyone knows?...Like many who train I just feel like Im shrinking and need a gym. But any home type, no gym equipment workout advice appreciated..especially arms and upper chest..thanks...Be back to gym in month.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
Re: Without gym for a while
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 05:38:52 AM »
Body weight squats or pistol squats or lunges
Single leg calf raises
Pushups or dips or handstand pushups
Pull-ups (palms away) or chin-ups (palms facing)
Lifting heavy objects off ground (sandbag, rocks, etc.)
Sit-ups, leg raises, stomach vacuums

You don't really believe all that BS about isolating parts of muscles do you?

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 03:14:25 PM »
Monday-Wednesday-Friday

pushups: hands close together, hands far apart, hands medium shoulder width apart, reverse pushups

vary the speed and sets reps every 2 weeks

Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday

bodyweight squats:  same as with pushups

You probably will lose very little if any muscle on your time off lifting.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 03:29:46 PM »
Wont have a gym for a while. Out of country and just difficult. Been training 20 years, and just really want to maintain and train. basically need straight Prison style workout. Been lifting my suitcase with handle for bicep curls and one arm tricep extensions..actually got pretty sore...shocked muscle.

Two areas that are really hard are upper chest and biceps brachialis. My bis are thin and what really helped was a lot of reverse grip and hammer curls across body. Just really hard to do without weights. Even pull ups hit bis but not really outer. Pissed because my arms suck and with a lot of hard work on the brachialis I finally got happy with my progress and now no gym. Also weak upper chest so a ton of incline stuff that again is hard to replicate out of gym.

Any well balanced upper body no gym workout anyone knows?...Like many who train I just feel like Im shrinking and need a gym. But any home type, no gym equipment workout advice appreciated..especially arms and upper chest..thanks...Be back to gym in month.

Invest in a TRX suspension trainer and some heavy duty jump bands. Use these right, and you won't lose anything.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 07:27:57 PM »
Below is a good book. The TRX system that the Coach recommended is another. Having a door way chinning bar along with portable dip bars will go a long way. Do a google search of portable gym bars. Doesn't the hotel you are staying at have at least a minimum gym? If you can't bring a portable chinning bar and dipping bar a play ground in the off hours could be the way to go. There you can dip and chin.

Try doing this:

1.Body weight squats. Go all the way down but don't drop like a cross fit person. Use good form. Don't worry if you squat with hundreds of pounds you will feel these.

2.Split leg jumps. One foot forward and one back. Jump for height and land with the back foot forward.

3.Body weight lunges. Do theses with deep form and you will wonder why you ever used weight before.

4.Stand on one leg locked and reach down and come up. Switch legs.

5.Pull up with a chin bar. One set hands facing forward and the other supinated.

6.Set the chin bar low with your feet raised on something and do body weight rows

7.Push ups

8.Do a push up with feet raised.

9.Dips with portable dipping bars or two chairs.

10.body weight single leg calf raises. You would be surprised how many guys can use big weights with a machine but can't keep their leg locked for 20 single leg calf raises. After doing each leg use both legs for a final burn out.

11.Burpees. Excellent conditioning exercise.

Ab exercise of your choice. leg raises, situps and crunches.

neck bridges on a towel front, back

After doing a routine like this you might find you are looking better than you ever did lifting weights.

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 09:43:20 AM »
If you've been seriously training for a long time, taking a break won't matter at all.
It'll take 2-3 months untel you will notice atrophy in your muscles.
And when you start back training, you'll grow like a spring chicken.

Well, that's what I experienced after a serious accident and a few months away from the gym. Naturally of course.

Says Dr Dutch