Author Topic: Documentaries - Discussion - Which should I watch?  (Read 384812 times)

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
Re: Documentary Thread
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2015, 09:10:45 PM »
From the documentary on Woodstock:

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2015, 08:10:16 AM »
When you're in a certain frame of mind, this can be a good watch. It sort of rambles and drifts along, just like the subject. It's about people that wander the American West:

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2015, 08:14:05 AM »
Going the opposite way, Louis Theroux visits a prison (San Quentin) to get an idea of what goes on there:

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2015, 11:10:06 AM »
TU: Here's one for when you're bored (you may need to brace yourself for a few of the scenes, though). It's kind of a downer, but there are some surprises thrown in to make it interesting. It's about a murder case in Texas:

That picture, good lord.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2015, 11:12:39 AM »
Going the opposite way, Louis Theroux visits a prison (San Quentin) to get an idea of what goes on there:

Tried this one several times the other day, but it wouldn't play. Works fine here, though, thanks.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2015, 12:19:14 PM »
Tried this one several times the other day, but it wouldn't play. Works fine here, though, thanks.

Good timing, then. Great minds think alike!

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2015, 12:27:00 PM »
That picture, good lord.

Lol, it's life. But I know what you mean.

;D

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2015, 04:38:14 PM »
Louis Theroux visits a mega-church and a few other places. Interesting people, with Louis doing his usual thing. A good watch:

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2015, 08:01:57 PM »
Louis Theroux visits a mega-church and a few other places. Interesting people, with Louis doing his usual thing. A good watch:

Think I've seen this one, but I'll give it a few minutes to be sure. You introduced me to Theroux in this thread, and I've since tried to track down all his stuff. Riveting programs, most of them.

And sorry I came at you like a dick earlier. Been doing that more and more lately and I'm not sure why. No excuse for that nonsense.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2015, 10:13:25 PM »
TU: Here's one for when you're bored (you may need to brace yourself for a few of the scenes, though). It's kind of a downer, but there are some surprises thrown in to make it interesting. It's about a murder case in Texas:

Wild story, she definitely spilled over a bit.

800 lbs. later, though:

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2015, 08:55:07 AM »
Think I've seen this one, but I'll give it a few minutes to be sure. You introduced me to Theroux in this thread, and I've since tried to track down all his stuff. Riveting programs, most of them.

A while back, I went through the same thing. I tracked down every bit of his work and watched all of it over the course of a few months.

He's a smartass and you have to watch out for BS editing when he meets his match, but I don't know of anyone else that's done what he's done with so many topics.

And sorry I came at you like a dick earlier. Been doing that more and more lately and I'm not sure why. No excuse for that nonsense.

Wasn't that a few days back? I'd already forgotten about it. ;D

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2015, 08:56:55 AM »
...and you weren't being a dick at all. I appreciate you taking a stand for that guy.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2015, 09:04:02 AM »
Wild story, she definitely spilled over a bit.

800 lbs. later, though:

:o

Wow, I hadn't seen that pic. I noticed something about her surgery, but figured it might be too *yuck* to post the clip.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2015, 01:04:53 PM »
:o

Wow, I hadn't seen that pic. I noticed something about her surgery, but figured it might be too *yuck* to post the clip.

Found the after pic online, wasn't in doc.

Also, figured out I'd already seen the San Quentin one, but still watched it again. Can't find his program on the black nationalists, though, maybe the only one left I haven't seen.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2015, 01:25:31 PM »

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2015, 06:43:29 PM »
Louis Theroux looks at "swinger" culture in suburbia and elsewhere. A good watch:

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2015, 07:08:17 PM »
This one shows the incredible lengths taken to harvest psychoactive honey in Nepal. Serious business for these guys, it looks like:

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2015, 12:42:23 PM »
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2bs0hl_louis-theroux-weird-weekends-s02e03-black-nationalism_shortfilms .

Damn thing keeps freezing on me. Corrects itself and restarts just do the same thing all over. Probably my computer.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2015, 08:21:51 PM »
Damn thing keeps freezing on me. Corrects itself and restarts just do the same thing all over. Probably my computer.

What about using a downloader?

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2015, 01:35:02 AM »
What about using a downloader?

Not sure what that is. This is exactly how stupid I am, I'm afraid.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2015, 08:21:58 AM »
Btw, if you check out keepvid, be aware that it tries to trick you into clicking ads/bs dowloads. So look carefully at what you're clicking.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2015, 10:25:01 AM »
Thank you, sir. Didn't think to try Firefox, but I will.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2015, 05:12:55 PM »
It's easy and worth it. If you plan/planned to transfer the data anyway by watching it, you may as well have a copy of it. There's a slim chance of having issues with someone for doing it, but almost nonexistent. It's how these things resurface on Youtube etc if they've been taken down (like BB's Shauna Grant doc earlier).

There are probably hundreds of ways to do it - and other people know better than me on it, I'm sure. I hope they chime in. But there is keepvid .com for one thing. There are also many downloaders on Firefox browser (look in tools, add-ons...then search 'download').

It's worth going through the initial hassle to get your DL method down, because you won't have to deal with the streaming failures of dailymotion etc (and actually dailymotion has a fuckload of docs that youtube doesn't. Great site).

BTW: The reason you'd do this is because dailymotion isn't streaming well. So the best way to do it is to download, then delete after you watch it. That's how you'd remain consistent with the problem of streaming (and DM does have mucho problemos).

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2015, 06:02:43 PM »
Here's kind of an unusual one. I remember seeing it years ago and it may have been the first doc I'd ever seen. The guy that made it says he set out to do a certain thing, but it turned into something different. So don't get fooled by the title. I'll tell you that it's sort of like American Nomads (couple posts up) in that it is a drifter.

I liked it years back, but will watch it again before saying anything else. Note the length, though, so maybe treat it like a book and come back to it a couple times in order to finish.

(It may be currently unavailable to stream on youtube. It's called Sherman's March and it is by Ross McElwee.)