Author Topic: NBA free agency thread.  (Read 11254 times)

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
Re: NBA free agency thread.
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2010, 06:27:54 PM »
maybe this never would've happened if your pistons weren't dumb enough to select darko over two of these guys ::)

E

We got a title out of it, cannot complain. Watch the idiots on ESPN right now.  :D
D

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2010, 06:35:12 PM »
yeah while darko was on the bench

i think he shot an airball when game 5 was out of reach for the lakers ::)

pistons win at least 3 if they took wade, bosh, or carmelo

this miami thrice probably wouldn't be happening either

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2010, 06:55:19 PM »
Hindsight.  They could have taken Carmelo, but he plays the 3 and they were happy with Prince.  But like Doug said, they won a championship after drafting Darko.

He is a colossal bust though.   

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2010, 07:27:40 PM »
Hindsight.  They could have taken Carmelo, but he plays the 3 and they were happy with Prince.  But like Doug said, they won a championship after drafting Darko.

What did Darko just get?? 20 million or more for like four years..... ::) ::) ::)
D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2010, 07:51:36 PM »
What did Darko just get?? 20 million or more for like four years..... ::) ::) ::)

That's what happens when you're a moderately skilled 7 footer.  You can always get paid. 

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2010, 08:40:45 PM »

they could've drafted me and still won that title, winning then doesn't change how much of a mistake he was

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2010, 02:29:52 PM »
Fish staying in LA.  Very happy about that. 

Doesn't look like LA has a chance with Mike Miller, who is supposed to sign with Miami, but others on the radar are Raja Bell, McGrady, and Barnes.  Any one of them would be good bench players. 

Interested to see how Miami fills out its roster. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2010, 03:04:53 PM »
Just one blunder after another. 

Interviewer was on LeBron's payroll

LeBron James paid the "journalist" who interviewed the hoops megastar for the ESPN special that revealed his decision to sign with the Miami Heat, it was revealed yesterday. Jim Gray, a freelance sports reporter, was paid by an entity set up by James' marketing team, not by ESPN -- a fact not disclosed to the sports network's viewers during Thursday's softball interview, CNBC reported.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/203771-interviewer-was-on-lebrons-payroll

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2010, 03:07:35 PM »

Doesn't look like LA has a chance with Mike Miller, who is supposed to sign with Miami, but others on the radar are Raja Bell, McGrady, and Barnes.  Any one of them would be good bench players. 

I was going to say fisher is to old, but the dude is clutch every freaken year, he should retire a laker, buss should employ him later on.

Im going to say this and watch this happen, wade, lebron and bosh will NOT last..one will be traded, not this season but next season, most likely bosh, he will complain about lack of plays and his averages will drop...lebron is tradeable as well.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2010, 03:10:43 PM »

who the fuck is doing PR for lebron??? he/she or the company needs to be sacked and shamed, horrible, lebron probably has no control of what goes on as everyone assumes, he is just a puppet..he went from being loved to be loathed in a matter of days.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2010, 03:25:21 PM »
I was going to say fisher is to old, but the dude is clutch every freaken year, he should retire a laker, buss should employ him later on.

Im going to say this and watch this happen, wade, lebron and bosh will NOT last..one will be traded, not this season but next season, most likely bosh, he will complain about lack of plays and his averages will drop...lebron is tradeable as well.

Fish is clutch.  Can't guard my mother during the regular season, but he is tough and always shows up in the playoffs.  He did a phenomenal job on Ray Allen in the Finals.  

I'm reserving judgment on the Miami situation.  That is an incredibly talented trio.  I do question whether they can win a ring, but that is as good a foundation as you can get in today's NBA.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2010, 03:26:33 PM »
who the fuck is doing PR for lebron??? he/she or the company needs to be sacked and shamed, horrible, lebron probably has no control of what goes on as everyone assumes, he is just a puppet..he went from being loved to be loathed in a matter of days.

Tell me about it.  They only way he redeems himself is by winning a championship. 

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2010, 04:57:06 PM »
Tell me about it.  They only way he redeems himself is by winning a championship. 
if he wins a ring and finals mvp then all is forgiven

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2010, 05:46:09 PM »
one title won't be enough, there is now more pressure on him to win big

anything less than multiple titles, i'd say at least 3 in the next 5 years, this "3 kings" thing will be considered a bust

E

E

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2010, 05:27:56 AM »
one title won't be enough, there is now more pressure on him to win big

anything less than multiple titles, i'd say at least 3 in the next 5 years, this "3 kings" thing will be considered a bust

E

nah man, dont fall for the hype, bosh aint shit now, he has to become a role player, i tell u what though with lebron and wade there going to keep other teams in foul trouble.

This is not guaranteed to work, it may go awry, they said shaq,kobe,payton and malone was a favourite..Wrong, i know malone and payton were old and busted.

they need more players, they need a 3pt shooter to spread the floor and a centre.

I thing bosh is great trade bait.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2010, 05:06:11 PM »
 :D

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2010, 05:16:28 PM »

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2010, 05:36:05 PM »

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2010, 06:15:07 PM »
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2010, 04:17:48 PM »
It was after LeBron James signed with Miami Heat that he really burned the Cleveland Cavaliers

Published: Saturday, July 17, 2010, 10:36 PM     Updated: Saturday, July 17, 2010, 10:57 PM
Brian Windhorst, The Plain Dealer

LeBron James would make no promises to players the Cavaliers were trying to recruit to Cleveland, but now he's taking an active role in trying to bring players to Miami.

LAS VEGAS, Nev. — Many people described LeBron James going on national television to announce his divorce from the Cavaliers as pouring salt in a new wound.

That may be how many fans feel but the salt to the Cavs in the entire ordeal was not the TV show. That came in the ensuing 10 days when they saw the type of contract James signed, and his actions after he left Greenwich, Conn.
When James signed his last contract with the Cavs, as is well-known, he opted to take less than the maximum contract and settled for three years so that he would be a free agent this summer. Though that may seem like a long time, from a development standpoint in the NBA, it isn't.

The Cavs were "on the clock" as it were, especially during the past two seasons as it was obvious teams like the Knicks, Nets and Heat were clearing cap space to get ready for a shot at James. The team bet "short" on a lot of roster moves in an effort to keep the team as competitive as possible at that instant.

This included making trades for older players like Ben Wallace, Shaquille O'Neal and Antawn Jamison, all deals that James pushed for because he wanted to win a title as soon as possible.

Zydrunas Ilgauskas is heading to Miami after talking with LeBron James.

During the past two summers when free agents the Cavs were interested in called James, he was non-committal about his future. He hoped players would come play with him but he was not on the front of the recruiting lines. He was also unwilling to give any sign he was going to be in Cleveland long term.

These tactics cost the Cavs several players, most notably Trevor Ariza last summer, who did not sign with the Cavs after not getting a commitment from James.

Like leaving in free agency, this is absolutely James' right as a premier player. Forcing his team to spend money and stay competitive in the short term is him looking out for his best interests. The Cavs gladly accepted the gamble and nearly every other team in the league would have accepted the same circumstances to have a player like James.

But then James signed a six-year contract with the Heat and instantly began recruiting other free agents. He called up former teammates Zydrunas Ilgauskas and Jawad Williams.

Ilgauskas signed a free-agent contract with the Miami Heat on Saturday and will now play for a team other than the Cavaliers for the first time in his NBA career.

James also pitched friend Mike Miller. He waited at the airport for Derek Fisher's private jet to land so he could make a personal plea for him to come to Miami.

There's probably been a lot more that has not become public.

Again, this is of course his right and prerogative. A star player should want players to come to his team. And now that he's signed for six years, the free agents are comfortable in coming. It is no wonder Miller signed for five years.

What the Cavs want to know is why, despite doing everything James asked and attempting to trade for as many top players as they could, they were not afforded anywhere near the same opportunity as James is already giving a team he's been with for less than two weeks.

In his comments in ESPN's "Sunday Conversation" last weekend, James blamed Cavs owner Dan Gilbert for not considering the long term.

What the Cavs wanted to scream at the TV and have been seething about privately all during the Vegas Summer League is how could they when James himself had them shackled to the short term.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/07/it_was_after_lebron_james_sign.html

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2010, 06:11:07 PM »
blah blah blah. like anyone else i would leave my current job/career/position to better myself and family.

It's not like he voided his contract or demanded a trade, he was free and left on is own terms, thats how life should be, fuck, NBA owners trade players all the time, uprooting families and kids from there schools and no one talks about that..I have changed my tune, Im with lebron on this one.

Who would play for dan gilbert after his tirade.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2010, 08:22:42 PM »
blah blah blah. like anyone else i would leave my current job/career/position to better myself and family.

It's not like he voided his contract or demanded a trade, he was free and left on is own terms, thats how life should be, fuck, NBA owners trade players all the time, uprooting families and kids from there schools and no one talks about that..I have changed my tune, Im with lebron on this one.

Who would play for dan gilbert after his tirade.

For me, leaving isn't the issue.  I could care less if he stayed in Cleveland, went to NY, Miami, or wherever.  It's how he handled the whole process that I have a problem with. 

I agree owners can be cutthroat, but this isn't the NFL where most of the contracts aren't guaranteed.  The vast majority of NBA players get paid whether they get cut or not.

Cleveland treated LeBron like a "king."  Gave him whatever he asked for.  Paid him millions.  Brought in Shaq and Jamison just for him.  In return, he did resurrect the franchise, but he also (as the article points out), cost Cleveland several very good FAs because he wouldn't just say whether he was staying or going, and treated them with no class during the latter stages of the process. 

I don't think Gilbert will have trouble getting players to come.  At the end of the day, your typical NBA player (average, good, great) is not going to turn down a multimillionaire dollar guaranteed contract. 

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2010, 12:19:41 AM »
For me, leaving isn't the issue.  I could care less if he stayed in Cleveland, went to NY, Miami, or wherever.  It's how he handled the whole process that I have a problem with. 

I agree owners can be cutthroat, but this isn't the NFL where most of the contracts aren't guaranteed.  The vast majority of NBA players get paid whether they get cut or not.

Cleveland treated LeBron like a "king."  Gave him whatever he asked for.  Paid him millions.  Brought in Shaq and Jamison just for him.  In return, he did resurrect the franchise, but he also (as the article points out), cost Cleveland several very good FAs because he wouldn't just say whether he was staying or going, and treated them with no class during the latter stages of the process. 

I don't think Gilbert will have trouble getting players to come.  At the end of the day, your typical NBA player (average, good, great) is not going to turn down a multimillionaire dollar guaranteed contract. 

If anything it shows how dumb clevelands managment was, he did not tell other players he was staying if anything thats a tell tale right there, the players that want to stay just sign and move on like Durant and Kobe,

I remember in earlier posts you said he was staying, and i said he was leaving, why would he and espn hold a hour special to say "Im staying". If i could see what was going on as a spectator why couldnt the cavs see it, unless he told gilbert " Im staying, you have my word" then i would understand.

Lebron really wants a ring, shaq and jamison were flops, players need not to manage a team,  for chrissake michael jordan picked kwame brown as the 1st pick in the draft and ruined the wizards for years.

every star player get what they want on there respective teams, they all get millions etc, Cleveland showed me nothing special on why they thought they deserve lebron more.

The one hour special was the dagger to Clevelands heart, i can see why gilbert lost it, but his old enough to not act bitch like.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2010, 12:27:19 PM »
If anything it shows how dumb clevelands managment was, he did not tell other players he was staying if anything thats a tell tale right there, the players that want to stay just sign and move on like Durant and Kobe,

I remember in earlier posts you said he was staying, and i said he was leaving, why would he and espn hold a hour special to say "Im staying". If i could see what was going on as a spectator why couldnt the cavs see it, unless he told gilbert " Im staying, you have my word" then i would understand.

Lebron really wants a ring, shaq and jamison were flops, players need not to manage a team,  for chrissake michael jordan picked kwame brown as the 1st pick in the draft and ruined the wizards for years.

every star player get what they want on there respective teams, they all get millions etc, Cleveland showed me nothing special on why they thought they deserve lebron more.

The one hour special was the dagger to Clevelands heart, i can see why gilbert lost it, but his old enough to not act bitch like.

To me it shows that the franchise was loyal to LeBron.  In hindsight it was dumb to allow him to walk all over the franchise, but they really didn't know he was doing to rip their hearts out on national TV. 

I didn't think he was going to leave after announcing his hour-long TV special, because I didn't think he would be that heartless/classless.  I was wrong. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2010, 12:30:18 PM »
Jordan's take:

Jordan wouldn't have called Magic, Bird
ESPN.com news services

Michael Jordan led the Chicago Bulls to six titles. And while he had Scottie Pippen, there is little question the Bulls were Jordan's team.

There's no way, with hindsight, I would've ever called up Larry, called up Magic and said, 'Hey, look, let's get together and play on one team.'

-- Michael Jordan

So what does Jordan, one of the best-ever in the NBA, think of LeBron James joining with All-Stars Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh to form a super team in Miami?

"There's no way, with hindsight, I would've ever called up Larry, called up Magic and said, 'Hey, look, let's get together and play on one team,' " Jordan said after playing in a celebrity golf tournament in Nevada. The interview aired on the NBC telecast of the event. "But that's ... things are different. I can't say that's a bad thing. It's an opportunity these kids have today. In all honesty, I was trying to beat those guys."

James, who played his first seven seasons with his home state Cleveland Cavaliers, was part of one of the most celebrated free agent classes in history this summer. He met with the Cavs, Chicago Bulls, Los Angeles Clippers, Miami Heat, New York Knicks and New Jersey Nets.

James let the world know he was taking his talents to South Beach in an hour-long TV special on July 8.

TNT analyst Charles Barkley said James' decision may change his legacy.

"He'll never be Jordan," Barkley told 790 the Ticket in Miami earlier in the week. "This clearly takes him out of the conversation. He can win as much as he wants to.

"There would have been something honorable about staying in Cleveland and trying to win it as 'The Man' ... LeBron, if he would've in Cleveland, and if he could've got a championship there, it would have been over the top for his legacy, just one in Cleveland. No matter how many he wins in Miami, it clearly is Dwyane Wade's team."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5391478