Author Topic: Power rack  (Read 2950 times)

KSA

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Power rack
« on: July 28, 2006, 06:17:29 AM »
I expect to get a power rack to squat at home.

What do you think of this power rack from Body Solid :

http://fitnessfactory.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=489&ItemLabel=GPR378%3a+Body-Solid+Power+Rack

or the Powertec one is better  ???

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
Re: Power rack
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 07:05:06 AM »
there both similar, take the one with better shiping rate and cheaper, either way it should last a long time since there commercial grad and your going to use it less then a gym.good luck.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 08:38:15 AM »
check if you can do chins and dips on it as well, might be nice to have
Z

JackCheze

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 08:37:19 AM »

looks like there are chin and dipping bars on it, the only reservation I have is that the front side is only connected at the top. I don't know how much you expect to squat (and it's probably fine for most people) and I'm probably high, but it seems like it might be a weak point. Of course, I think I'm probably wrong

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 12:42:38 PM »
If possible check it out in real life, so you know what you're looking for in terms of build quality, it suiting your height etc
Z

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 07:00:29 PM »

definatly! especially for at home.
bodybuildersreality.com

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 02:02:01 AM »
definatly! especially for at home.

I built mine myself.I know what you are thinking..home made piece of shit.Not true.I have access to steel tubing at cost and have a significant amount of metal fabricating equipment.They are very easy to build.I used a Bridgeport mill to put the holes in it. Mine has twenty holes in each post for the safety bars...this is where you need a bridgeport to make certain the holes are exactly the same distance apart to avoid having the bars bind up and not slide through. It is actually just as nice as the store bought ones. I have just under 100 bucks and a weekends time in it.Best money I ever spent.

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 05:16:28 AM »
I built mine myself.I know what you are thinking..home made piece of shit.Not true.I have access to steel tubing at cost and have a significant amount of metal fabricating equipment.They are very easy to build.I used a Bridgeport mill to put the holes in it. Mine has twenty holes in each post for the safety bars...this is where you need a bridgeport to make certain the holes are exactly the same distance apart to avoid having the bars bind up and not slide through. It is actually just as nice as the store bought ones. I have just under 100 bucks and a weekends time in it.Best money I ever spent.

most things if you have the tools and skill are better built at home since you can customize and you know the bolts or welds are done correctly and can reinforce as you like.good for you.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 07:44:30 AM »
Pretty close; price might be the biggest factor. I like the Body Solid stuff because the machining & finish are slightly better but it's a minor differene. Plus you have the option of getting a weight stack, to which extra free weight can be added.

If you can try to find and try them before deciding.

Building at home only makes sense for someone familiar with this kind of work.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 08:54:11 AM »
A friend of mine built a PR out of 4X4  support timber (bracings for shiping heavy equipment parts....don't know what type of wood, but very hard and tough) more than ten years ago. He, and others, are still using it. I didn't think it would hold up, I was wrong. Used treated steel as the pin's (got from a fab shop) and a heavy drill bit to make the hole spacings. He mounted the bottom 4X4's in cement forms about 8-10 inches deep and braced the top part of the rack with cross sections. It's been in his backyard workout area all these years, rain or shine. He coat's it with wood seal from time to time. The only real expense was the rented power drill & power saw, cement, center bit and the steel pin's (two set's of pin's). I got the heavy packing timber for him, from where I used to work at (surface mining plant). They junk the wood anyway after a large boxed  shipment of machinery/parts arrive.

He's got dipping bars, chinning bar, lat machine, etc, all removable, on the PR.  600lb + plus has been use on those pins, so this home made equipments has answered the call to duty many times over. With a little know how and common sense, that PR was pretty simple to make. Hint: make a drawing of the general plans before you start building from ground zero. Good Luck.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 04:16:33 AM »
Building at home only makes sense for someone familiar with this kind of work.

I agree.