Author Topic: Chest workout  (Read 4192 times)

cypher

• Getbig II
Chest workout
« on: January 15, 2008, 03:24:08 PM »
Lately Ive noticed my chest fatigues more intensely then it used to.

Ive been lifting for about a year. And when I started I would do flat first then incline and I wouldnt have trouble.

Now, whichever I do second takes a major hit in the amount of weight I can put up. ie. Flat first I can get the 70s for 6.. if i do it second i can barely get 60s for 8.. and vice versa. Lately ive been trying to build up my upper chest, so Ive been doing incline first, and Im just wondering how can i prevent this fatigue. Or should I split upper and lower chest on diff days?

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
Re: Chest workout
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 04:52:22 PM »
If you have only been lifting for a year, you are worried far too much about details that don't matter.

Squat 500+ pounds, then worry about your chest.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 02:13:12 AM »
Lately Ive noticed my chest fatigues more intensely then it used to.

Ive been lifting for about a year. And when I started I would do flat first then incline and I wouldnt have trouble.

Now, whichever I do second takes a major hit in the amount of weight I can put up. ie. Flat first I can get the 70s for 6.. if i do it second i can barely get 60s for 8.. and vice versa. Lately ive been trying to build up my upper chest, so Ive been doing incline first, and Im just wondering how can i prevent this fatigue. Or should I split upper and lower chest on diff days?

I wouldn't worry about anything like that - just concentrate on doing the best you can do in each workout and trying to better what you did in the previous one - if you're getting stronger, then you're onto a winner. Keep your chest workout the same for a while, and I mean the same exercises in the same order. Do inclines first followed by flat on exercises that you prefer but just look to make improvements on the strength side of things - the rest will follow.

Tombo

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 02:50:55 AM »
If you have only been lifting for a year, you are worried far too much about details that don't matter.

Squat 500+ pounds, then worry about your chest.

::)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 05:38:05 AM »

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 01:25:18 PM »
Simply alternate them weekly.

Flat heavy one week,with higher rep inclines,then the next week heavy inclines,with higher rep flats.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 02:30:19 PM »
Actually with progressive weight training, the whole idea is to fatigue a specific muscle group.  As a general rule you should be using more weight (percentage wise) on the first exercise for any muscle group (there are exception of course with more advance ways of training). So if a good set of Inclines taxes the chest muscles the next sets of flats will require that the weight used be reduced somewhat. Vice versa if the exercises are changed around. That is the point and that is what you are after, proper fatigue of a muscle group. But not to the point of overtraining,  which could delay proper recovery time.

In my view, it really does not matter if Inclines or flat benches are first in a chest workout. With Inclines, the higher degree the bench is the more the anterior (front) delts will come into play anyway, even at the expense of working the upper pecs. With flats, the chances are most of the pec area (even upper) will be  worked better if a wider grip and the bar lowered nearer the upper chest/neck area. That is, when a bar is used rather than DB's. With DB's, either when doing Incline or flat, keep the elbows wide out and the DB's inline with the upper chest/neck area.

Another Example: If you want to try the Pre-Exhaust system than do a set of Pec Decks followed immediately by Inclines or flat benches. Which ever appeals to you at the time. If the Pec Deck at your gym is one where the elbows are placed on pads (rather that gripped way out with the hands) you are in luck.You want the point of resistance on the elbows, better direct focus/leverage on the pec's themselves. DB's and even cables (though getting a great pump,it can be misleading...a pump will not insure actual muscle growth) are a  second choice when it comes to a more direct focus on the pec's (upper and lower of this single muscle group) with most versions of the Pec Deck.

If you have a need to take it one more click up than start with a set of Pec Decks, than flat benches and end with Incline presses. All in a Tri Set matter. Keeping the rest to zero between exercises. Try two, or three cycles at the mos, of any Tri Set.

Pre-Exhaust is when a extension exercise is done before a major press/pull exercise. Like Pec Deck/Flys before chest. Laterial raises before delts. Straight arm pullovers ( or bentover rear raises) before back. Leg extensions before squats. ETC, etc, etc.  Good Luck.
F

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 03:03:37 PM »
Okay.
I wasn't the only one.

I'll add one
 ::)

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 07:57:18 PM »
Silly me.

You guys definately want to focus on your inner upper chests instead of squatting more.  Squatting more is hard.  Plus, you can always have the excuse that your routine isn't right to get bigger, and you can keep buying your glossy magazines for this months alliterative workout.

Most lifters make their training far more complicated than necessary, and most try to follow routines that are best used by people FAR more advanced.

Unless you are a National level competitor, there's no reason to even have a "chest" workout.  Add weight to 6-8 basic lifts, repeat those lifts frequently, and you'll get where you want to be.

If people don't stop and stare at you on the street, you aren't big enough yet to worry about a bodypart.

N8

• Getbig I
  • I go through and I don't care what happens
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 01:04:55 PM »
I've been doing Incline BB 5x5's.  Adding 5 pounds a week as I progress.  I also do Incline DB, Flat DB, and mix in flat flyes and incline flyes (all straight sets 3x8 or so).  My strength is really progressing but my chest size has been stuck at 47" for a while.  I don't do a lot of BB flat (maybe every other week or so) because I tend to feel to much shoulders in it.

I'm probably doing too many sets, but to get a really good pump it takes more in my case.
Any suggestions on gaining more size?   

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 03:39:10 PM »
Silly me.

You guys definately want to focus on your inner upper chests instead of squatting more.  Squatting more is hard.  Plus, you can always have the excuse that your routine isn't right to get bigger, and you can keep buying your glossy magazines for this months alliterative workout.

Most lifters make their training far more complicated than necessary, and most try to follow routines that are best used by people FAR more advanced.

Unless you are a National level competitor, there's no reason to even have a "chest" workout.  Add weight to 6-8 basic lifts, repeat those lifts frequently, and you'll get where you want to be.

If people don't stop and stare at you on the street, you aren't big enough yet to worry about a bodypart.

You must be quite a beast.
No doubt about it...

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 03:56:52 PM »
I've been doing Incline BB 5x5's.  Adding 5 pounds a week as I progress.  I also do Incline DB, Flat DB, and mix in flat flyes and incline flyes (all straight sets 3x8 or so).  My strength is really progressing but my chest size has been stuck at 47" for a while.  I don't do a lot of BB flat (maybe every other week or so) because I tend to feel to much shoulders in it.

I'm probably doing too many sets, but to get a really good pump it takes more in my case.
Any suggestions on gaining more size?   

you feel too much shoulders on flat bb and not incline bb??? something sounds wrong there....are you flaring your elbows out alot?? try bringing the bar down to about the nipples and focus on tucking your elbows in....

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 05:21:22 PM »
"Unless you are a National level competitor, there's no reason to even have a "chest" workout."

^^^^^  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
X

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 08:52:28 PM »
"Unless you are a National level competitor, there's no reason to even have a "chest" workout."

hahaha, unless the world stops and stares at how huge you are you shouldn't train rear delts.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 06:53:31 AM »
hahaha, unless the world stops and stares at how huge you are you shouldn't train rear delts.

Exactly. Might as well never train calves or better yet legs all together since no one is going to hike up your pants and look at your legs either!
X

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 10:10:30 AM »
I don't think you understand.  Not suprising.

You train your entire body.  There is no need to train a specific bodypart to the exclusion of others unless you are a high level competitor.

You train more than just your quads when you squat.  More than just your hamstrings when you deadlift.  More than just your chest when you bench.

Unless you have a very impressive physique, however, there is no need to have a 'chest workout'.  That doesn't mean you don't train a lift that develops your chest.

So yes, if you are not big enough that people stop and stare at you, there's no reason to have a chest workout, or a rear delt workout, or a bicep workout.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 10:21:15 AM »

You train your entire body.  There is no need to train a specific bodypart to the exclusion of others unless you are a high level competitor.

You train more than just your quads when you squat.  More than just your hamstrings when you deadlift.  More than just your chest when you bench.

Unless you have a very impressive physique, however, there is no need to have a 'chest workout'.  That doesn't mean you don't train a lift that develops your chest.

So yes, if you are not big enough that people stop and stare at you, there's no reason to have a chest workout, or a rear delt workout, or a bicep workout.

is it me or was anything mentioned about disregarding all other body parts? 

Squats aren't the end all, be all of a workout.  Sounds like PJ is the one disregarding all but squats.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 10:31:08 AM »

LOL agreed this is silly. Work that chest!

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 10:33:36 AM »

"So yes, if you are not big enough that people stop and stare at you, there's no reason to have a chest workout, or a rear delt workout, or a bicep workout. "

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) :: ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
X

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 12:07:28 PM »
I really don't think you understand what I'm saying.

I didn't say just do squats.  I said there is no reason to have a 'chest' workout if you are not very advanced.

You should absolutley have a horizontal press in your routine. 

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 12:09:31 PM »

I didn't say just do squats.  I said there is no reason to have a 'chest' workout if you are not very advanced.

The OP has been lifting for a year, and is certianly not advanced.  So his focus shoudl not be on his 'chest', it should be on his everything.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 12:14:18 PM »

what planet are you from?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 12:28:33 PM »

since you seem like you know what you are talking about ::), please post a picture of yourself?
X

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2008, 12:42:10 PM »
since you seem like you know what you are talking about ::), please post a picture of yourself?

I bet Pjs a regular ol mass monster

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2008, 12:43:54 PM »

I bet Pjs a regular ol mass monster

Of course he is. Anyone that posts such vital information like that, has to be HUGE!!!!  ::)  ::) ::)
X