Author Topic: I discovered something re hypertrophy yesterday and today.  (Read 43436 times)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
I discovered something re hypertrophy yesterday and today.
« on: March 19, 2015, 08:35:06 PM »
We all assume that putting mechanical tension on a muscle if done intensely enough and for long enough will cause hypertrophy. The next day that muscle is usually quite sore which indicates damage and hence possible growth.

Yesterday I had to shift two heavy wardrobes. Getting them into my ute was the easy part. Delivering them to my daughter's pad was a challenge. It was a long walk and the tension from the stretch was severe.

We did two trips and at the end it felt like a biceps workout. Today my biceps are quite sore. I had an arm workout three days ago so this must have been more intense.

It appears that it doesn't matter how we put mechanical tension on a muscle whether stretching or doing training. Of course, I remember the studies done on the chickens where a weight was attached to one wing.

The load was increased over a time and the hypertrophy in the weighted wing was impressive. Well, the only thing is stretching a muscle isn't exactly pleasant or fun. But I suppose if you held the weight in a stretched

position in curls, for example, that would help increase the amount of mechanical tension.

ritch

• Getbig V
Re: I discovered something re hypertrophy yesterday and today.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 08:37:25 PM »
if only you had wings, you could fly away, lol...
?

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 08:40:38 PM »

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 08:41:50 PM »
So you just discovered that Isometric Exercise can grow muscles? Cutting edge Dude!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 08:44:07 PM »
So you just discovered that Isometric Exercise can grow muscles? Cutting edge Dude!

I knew that in 1965 when I used the York isometric program to put a half inch on my arms in a week.

Stretching is different from Isometric contractions but I agree they are similar.

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 08:48:56 PM »
I knew that in 1965 when I used the York isometric program to put a half inch on my arms in a week.

Stretching is different from Isometric contractions but I agree they are similar.

Stretching isn't similar to isometric contractions at all. You can't lift something by stretching.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 08:53:54 PM »
Stretching isn't similar to isometric contractions at all. You can't lift something by stretching.

You don't lift anything doing an isometric contraction, either.

We lifted these heavy wardrobes and had to hold them up and negotiate a twisting path for several minutes. It was tough.

Then repeat. The point it the biceps were under several mechanical tension in that position. Doesn't matter what you call it.

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 09:00:16 PM »
You don't lift anything doing an isometric contraction, either.

We lifted these heavy wardrobes and had to hold them up and negotiate a twisting path for several minutes. It was tough.

Then repeat. The point it the biceps were under several mechanical tension in that position. Doesn't matter what you call it.

All stabilizer muscles are in isometric contraction mode to stabilize any lift. Stretching is relaxing your muscles. If you contract any of your muscles much in stretching, then you are doing some serious damage to your tendons and ligaments. So, yeah, it matters what you call it.

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 09:01:31 PM »
We all assume that putting mechanical tension on a muscle if done intensely enough and for long enough will cause hypertrophy. The next day that muscle is usually quite sore which indicates damage and hence possible growth.

Yesterday I had to shift two heavy wardrobes. Getting them into my ute was the easy part. Delivering them to my daughter's pad was a challenge. It was a long walk and the tension from the stretch was severe.

We did two trips and at the end it felt like a biceps workout. Today my biceps are quite sore. I had an arm workout three days ago so this must have been more intense.

It appears that it doesn't matter how we put mechanical tension on a muscle whether stretching or doing training. Of course, I remember the studies done on the chickens where a weight was attached to one wing.

The load was increased over a time and the hypertrophy in the weighted wing was impressive. Well, the only thing is stretching a muscle isn't exactly pleasant or fun. But I suppose if you held the weight in a stretched

position in curls, for example, that would help increase the amount of mechanical tension.

Pics of your daughter lifting heavy things and straining from the exertion.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 09:04:54 PM »
Wow so manual labor builds muscles who knew, nice discovery vanceassill
A

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 09:07:02 PM »
Wow so manual labor builds muscles who knew, nice discovery vanceassill

For a guy supposed to be interested in advancing science I expect a more intelligent response or a contribution even. Then again, maybe not.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 09:10:14 PM »
X

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 09:11:03 PM »

Now are you going to build a 10'x10' isometric "machine"? Lol

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 09:15:52 PM »

X

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 09:17:11 PM »
should place two speakers on the top of that bad boy bicep machine and have them blast only Chris Isaak.

?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 09:22:01 PM »
should place two speakers on the top of that bad boy bicep machine and have them blast only Chris Isaak.

Vince is in his 70's, looks horrible, and is still chasing hypertrophy lol.  Don't senior citizens have better things to do with their time?
X

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 09:24:03 PM »
For a guy supposed to be interested in advancing science I expect a more intelligent response or a contribution even. Then again, maybe not.
maybe if u do manual labor 2 whole days in a row u will see crazy gains vince
A

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 09:24:28 PM »

Somewhere Chris Isaak is looking at Google images and muttering to himself, "you've got to be fucking kidding me".

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 09:29:42 PM »
Somewhere Chris Isaak is looking at Google images and muttering to himself, "you've got to be fucking kidding me".

hahaha, oh, that was so funny...
Should be a good thread to wake up to tomorrow this one...
?

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 09:38:54 PM »
Vince is in his 70's, looks horrible, and is still chasing hypertrophy lol.  Don't senior citizens have better things to do with their time?
soon will get the girls! Manual labors for!
A

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 09:43:13 PM »
soon will get the girls! Manual labors for!

He just needs to get those 19" arms to get the girls.
X

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 09:50:50 PM »
Now are you going to build a 10'x10' isometric "machine"? Lol

Ok, smartass, what you have invented? I have built a whole gym of original equipment.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2015, 09:54:49 PM »
Ok, smartass, what you have invented? I have built a whole gym of original equipment.

Um, but the question is: The machines you have invented, are they currently being used in todays gyms? Are they being utilized to change physiques? The answer is most likely, "no." Thus, who gives a crap abut your useless inventions if they don't do anything.

Either way, Coach is doing more in the fitness industry than you will ever do, even with your shitty inventions.
X

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 10:03:57 PM »

time under tension, and also i doubt you are curling loads as heavy as a wardrobe.  kind of the same "new soreness" when you try a new routine. different stress

mdef48

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2015, 10:05:44 PM »
yawn