Author Topic: STANDING SHOULDER BARBELL PRESS. YAY OR NAY????????????????  (Read 44208 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Who here does standing shoulder barbell presses? Are they better than seated? Will they make me have massive, wide shoulders? Cannon ball delts?

At 40 seconds, Pudzianowski does standing shoulder barbell presses. Though, he does them to the back and he uses a lot of leg momentum to get the weight up. Obviously, he is using a lot more weight than me and is doing them for a different purpose.  I do them to the front and only use legs when I am trying to force out a few more reps.

X

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
Re: STANDING SHOULDER BARBELL PRESS. YAY OR NAY????????????????
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 07:53:51 PM »
Standing barbell press is my favorite for shoulders some people disagree that the OHP is essential in a good shoulder routine but that's not me I believe any body in good health should include some type if not all types of OHP in their routine for shoulders only reason not to do these  r if you have already ruined your shoulders

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 08:24:43 PM »
Standing barbell press is my favorite for shoulders some people disagree that the OHP is essential in a good shoulder routine but that's not me I believe any body in good health should include some type if not all types of OHP in their routine for shoulders only reason not to do these  r if you have already ruined your shoulders

Agreed. Ive read people with rotator cuff injuries dont do overhead presses, but as long as you can, one should always include OHP!
X

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 08:46:47 PM »
Standing, yay.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 10:41:09 PM »
have done them a few times, but for bb'ing, don't see making them a priority necessary. Great for functional strength however.
?

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 12:28:34 AM »
Great exercise, prefer standing but also like the seated without back support version

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 01:08:02 AM »
Great exercise, prefer standing but also like the seated without back support version
back supported is not that bad actually. Is very strict. I do back supported mainly with DBs though.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 02:37:41 AM »
When you get to a decent weight on these they start to be hard work on your lower back, propper meat and potatoes full body movement

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 09:59:46 AM »
If u have good thoracic mobility yes
If not I'd be careful
w

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 10:00:25 AM »
With back support it's alot stricter movement.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 10:23:03 AM »
A big triple YAH!

The gentleman is actually doing jerk presses behind the neck (or behind the neck jerk presses...whatever). A very advanced movement, which a lot of Olympic/strongman lifters include in training. If new to this exercise, would not recommend doing this style. The regular/standard  version, when getting the proper form can be vital. It is an exercise that one has to learn to do correctly....like most exercises.

Some have a problem with the PBN because they lower the bar too low behind the back (at the nap of the neck is the usually stop position...not lower...some stop a bit below ear level), use too wide a hand grip for body type (extra wide is not advised) or try using way too much weight without a proper warmup. Light warmups can be very important in this movement.  After a while, if having trouble with the lower back (with any form of OHP'ing) than place one foot ahead of the other, with a slight bend at both knees). Should relieve any lower back tension.

The front press is another ultra mass builder for the whole shoulder girdle. Like the PBN, can use the jerk press if wanting to include that. Might suggest pressing the bar (in any style..front/behind) from a PR/cage/supports...etc.  Now a lot of guy's can clean 205+ when getting ready for rep'ing out  presses, but most BB'ers will be better served if using a rack of some sort.

If your born with a wide to extra wide shoulder structure..than lucky you. If born with regular, to narrow, shoulder structure than working hard on both these shoulder presses can make up for a lot that genetics never gave you. Seen guy having to buy larger size shirts after following a focuses OHP scheme. Seems to add mass at a fairly good rate for most. Presses and jerk presses have been a staple for many large athletes.

There are also Push Presses, with a lesser actual grip and the weight resting mostly on the heel of the palm. Exceptional pressing exercise, which some bencher's also use, from time to time.

Good Luck

F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 10:29:08 AM »
A big triple YAH!

The gentleman is actually doing jerk presses behind the neck (or behind the neck jerk presses...whatever). A very advanced movement, which a lot of Olympic/strongman lifters include in training. If new to this exercise, would not recommend doing this style. The regular/standard  version, when getting the proper form can be vital. It is an exercise that one has to learn to do correctly....like most exercises.

Some have a problem with the PBN because they lower the bar too low behind the back (at the nap of the neck is the usually stop position...not lower...some stop a bit below ear level), use too wide a hand grip for body type (extra wide is not advised) or try using way too much weight without a proper warmup. Light warmups can be very important in this movement.  After a while, if having trouble with the lower back (with any form of OHP'ing) than place one foot ahead of the other, with a slight bend at both knees). Should relieve any lower back tension.

The front press is another ultra mass builder for the whole shoulder girdle. Like the PBN, can use the jerk press if wanting to include that. Might suggest pressing the bar (in any style..front/behind) from a PR/cage/supports...etc.  Now a lot of guy's can clean 205+ when getting ready for rep'ing out  presses, but most BB'ers will be better served if using a rack of some sort.

If your born with a wide to extra wide shoulder structure..than lucky you. If born with regular, to narrow, shoulder structure than working hard on both these shoulder presses can make up for a lot that genetics never gave you. Seen guy having to buy larger size shirts after following a focuses OHP scheme. Seems to add mass at a fairly good rate for most. Presses and jerk presses have been a staple for many large athletes.

There are also Push Presses, with a lesser actual grip and the weight resting mostly on the heel of the palm. Exceptional pressing exercise, which some bencher's also use, from time to time.

Good Luck

. So interesting

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 11:25:44 AM »
With back support it's alot stricter movement.

Yes I agree and believe they are a great variation, just personal preference due to not having a bench that adjusts upright for the first 15 years or so of training. Now when I try the back support I feel I'm leaning too far back and can't drive the bar directly overhead and it feels more of a very steep incline press

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 12:48:21 PM »
Most of those benches labeled Shoulder Press Benches are actually at a steep incline as Bass Generator suggest. Need a true 180 degree back support bench for OHP's of any kind. This style bench also works very well with most forms of DB pressing. One of more important points is to keep the butt/lower back tight against the board....most tend to slouch after a few reps.

Seem a lot of guy's claim 300+ shoulder press, but are really doing steep angle inclines, with more help from the pec/delt tie-in. Makes a difference with the amount of weight pressed overhead.  True shoulder press benches (assuming a 180 degree position) are great for lateral/front raises and even DB curls.  Also Lap BB curls, another  movement not seen very much anymore.

Shoulder Press Benches are good for an alternate way to OHP from time to time, but to me the Push or Jerk press are tops for adding power & mass in a relative short period of time.  

(Personal view only, please do what may be best for you......have always preferred overhead pressing, rather that benching, for power and mass. To that extent, have always preferred
weighted dips over benching any time)

Good Luck.
F

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 12:53:00 PM »
Mark Rippetoe addresses shoulder impingement issues concerning the standing barbell press @ 6:30

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2015, 01:11:13 PM »
My gym has an adjustable seat/rack with a full height back for seated presses, almost always it's leaned back a few holes that makes it more of an incline press. I always move it upright to get the vertical position.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2015, 08:03:02 PM »
Standing Dumbbell Press is has become my favorite exercise

Just did them one day when the gym was crowded and couldn't get a bench and now it's the only pressing that I do for shoulders

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2015, 08:12:24 PM »
Standing Dumbbell Press is has become my favorite exercise

Just did them one day when the gym was crowded and couldn't get a bench and now it's the only pressing that I do for shoulders
You ever try one arm at a time? DB push presses are awesome too.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2015, 08:15:24 AM »
So true, DB presses are exceptional.

As Chaos suggest, try them one arm at a time for better focus. Can brace the free hand against something for better support. Also the one arm side press, where the body bends somewhat away from the pressing arm. Can work up to some impressive weight this way. Side presses were a favorite of old time strongmen (as was the one arm bent press...a real strongman movement, almost like a corkscrew movement...guys doing 300+ was not unheard of,  mostly done with a regular BB).

If wanting to join a special class of weight men, than try cleaning two DB's from the floor and then pressing/jerking them overhead. Use to having lifting events with this style of lifting.

Had workout with a lifter from Italy, who would clean & press a pair of DB's while on his knees. Also would sit on the floor, legs stretches out ahead of him, and clean & press two DB's that way. If remembering right, got up to a pair of 120's-130's in his workouts. He said it developed much more lower back and upper body strength that normal DB pressing ever would. I believe that.

Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2015, 08:40:00 AM »
 The Standard Military press is still used because it works. Also the clean and press is a great lift. I also like cleaning the bar from waist height and pressing.  

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2015, 09:43:14 AM »
The Standard Military press is still used because it works. Also the clean and press is a great lift. I also like cleaning the bar from waist height and pressing.  
Very few do a proper military press, most people use a slight push press.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2015, 09:59:32 AM »
Very few do a proper military press, most people use a slight push press.

In my gym, and throughout the nation, I have been known to use a slight push press. But its all good. I still have cannon ball delts.
X

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2015, 11:05:33 AM »
The original idea of the military press was for it to be done in a military manner....hence the name.

Heels together, knees locked tight, back ramrod straight and starting the press slow and controlled...... and lowering it the same way. No jerking, knee action..only relying on the shoulder/tricep strength..Believe some of the old Prussia or German military 19th century guide books had the overhead press included in their training text.

Want by the book...than try this style of strict press and let us all know the outcome. May have a value, most everything does to a certain degree.

Good Luck.
F

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2015, 11:56:03 AM »
The original idea of the military press was for it to be done in a military manner....hence the name.

Heels together, knees locked tight, back ramrod straight and starting the press slow and controlled...... and lowering it the same way. No jerking, knee action..only relying on the shoulder/tricep strength..Believe some of the old Prussia or German military 19th century guide books had the overhead press included in their training text.

Want by the book...than try this style of strict press and let us all know the outcome. May have a value, most everything does to a certain degree.

Good Luck.

It's much more difficult than a looser form with a little knee movement.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2015, 12:27:11 PM »
It's much more difficult than a looser form with a little knee movement.
Do it seated like most bodybuilders its just as strict