Author Topic: Changing to HIIT  (Read 7822 times)

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
Changing to HIIT
« on: August 10, 2015, 04:39:57 AM »
Changing over to a 4-(5 at most)day a week split HIIT style. The plan is legs, chest w bicep, back , shoulder w tricep. Burnt out with volume and it has been suggested to me that I will progress faster with this style of training I hit legs yesterday like this!!! Very refreshing to me but its actaully a lot harder to go to actual failure than I realized putting 100 % all u have I into one set is not easy. Does anybody have experience changing from volume to HIIT and how were the gains?
I can already tell I'm going to feel better and pay closer attention to my routine and progress his way vs just pumping out sets after sets... Will share results if anybody cares to see how it affects me not changing diet either for now since recently adding in more carbohydrates doing well on it now.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: Changing to HIIT
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 04:45:51 AM »
Changing over to a 4-(5 at most)day a week split HIIT style. The plan is legs, chest w bicep, back , shoulder w tricep. Burnt out with volume and it has been suggested to me that I will progress faster with this style of training I hit legs yesterday like this!!! Very refreshing to me but its actaully a lot harder to go to actual failure than I realized putting 100 % all u have I into one set is not easy. Does anybody have experience changing from volume to HIIT and how were the gains?
I can already tell I'm going to feel better and pay closer attention to my routine and progress his way vs just pumping out sets after sets... Will share results if anybody cares to see how it affects me not changing diet either for now since recently adding in more carbohydrates doing well on it now.
Rich(oldtimer1) is a big fan of this type of training seems to work well for him.

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 05:08:35 AM »
It really does take a lot more mentally to go to real Failure for me is a huge change hoping for gains!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 05:38:26 AM »
It really does take a lot more mentally to go to real Failure for me is a huge change hoping for gains!
I like what Bill Pearl always said, leave the Gym with Gas in the Tank. you gotta try everything though.

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 06:06:23 AM »
Well I need a change, and  this way will sure enough leave me with more recovery time is what I'm banking on that I need to grow some more

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 06:14:39 AM »
Well I need a change, and  this way will sure enough leave me with more recovery time is what I'm banking on that I need to grow some more
How much Cardio do you do on Off days if you have them. I know you write on the Training Board so i think you are serious and not like some on here. As you know Recovery is key.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 09:59:22 AM »
Actually HIIT was designed for fat loss, along with superior cardio benefits,  with keeping (or even increasing slight muscle mass) rather than a prime goal on gaining max muscle mass. With training periods twice or three times a 7 day week (sometimes a training week can be sectioned to a 9 day training week...even longer extensions can be done). Never want to do any cardio between workout days on this style system. Too much of a good thing can lead to failure on many an over ambitious BB'er. A 8 weeks program, to the extreme 12 weeks, is usually the limit on such intense style programs.

If you don't mind, could you give a general outline of your individual workout days. And would you be training with weights/machines only? Is BB'ing and advanced muscle mass the main purpose here? Or getting surprisingly ripped. Like if you have 17" guns, and have them fall (with HIIT, etc) to 16 1/2..which will look that more muscular and impressive without any extra fat on those guns.

Athletes use interval (HIT, HIIT, Tabata and other versions) protocols to adjusted to personal needs & goals. All are great ways to increase the Vo2 max (fat burning, higher level of metabolism/upping testosterone levels also) for the average trainee. In either case, the stamina (strength+ endurance) becomes sky high. Tabata uses the 2:1 (20 seconds max effort)...... 1 (10 seconds rest/pause between efforts). HIIT, and other version, may use a different work/rest pattern. All work well, depending on your training ambitions.

Good Luck.
F

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 10:00:55 AM »
How much Cardio do you do on Off days if you have them. I know you write on the Training Board so i think you are serious and not like some on here. As you know Recovery is key.
well now cardio is 20 mins stair machine up to 5xweekly seldom do treadmill but may add some cardio to make up for the sweat time I'm missing with my volume workouts

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 10:10:30 AM »
Actually HIIT was designed for fat loss, along with superior cardio benefits,  with keeping (or even increasing slight muscle mass) rather than a prime goal on gaining max muscle mass. With training periods twice or three times a 7 day week (sometimes a training week can be sectioned to a 9 day training week...even longer extensions can be done). Never want to do any cardio between workout days on this style system. Too much of a good thing can lead to failure on many an over ambitious BB'er. A 8 weeks program, to the extreme 12 weeks, is usually the limit on such intense style programs.

If you don't mind, could you give a general outline of your individual workout days. And would you be training with weights/machines only? Is BB'ing and advanced muscle mass the main purpose here? Or getting surprisingly ripped. Like if you have 17" guns, and have them fall (with HIIT, etc) to 16 1/2..which will look that more muscular and impressive without any extra fat on those guns.

Athletes use interval (HIT, HIIT, Tabata and other versions) protocols to adjusted to personal needs & goals. All are great ways to increase the Vo2 max (fat burning, higher level of metabolism/upping testosterone levels also) for the average trainee. In either case, the stamina (strength+ endurance) becomes sky high. Tabata uses the 2:1 (20 seconds max effort)...... 1 (10 seconds rest/pause between efforts). HIIT, and other version, may use a different work/rest pattern. All work well, depending on your training ambitions.

Good Luck.
Slight Muscle Mass ? what are you talking about ? Mr America/Universe Bob Gadja used it. Do you know what PHA Training is and ever tried it?

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 10:13:26 AM »
Primary goal here is to add size and recover more with the HIIT and stay lean and get massive as hell

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 10:18:13 AM »
Primary goal here is to add size and recover more with the HIIT and stay lean and get massive as hell
My advice is speak to Oldtimer. He is well schooled on this. I like Bob Gadja his approach was pumping blood up the body from lower and upper body exercises..never 2 exercises for a single muscle group. Indeed he was very fit and won titles.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 10:22:40 AM »
Congrats on seeing the light and doing the almighty hit.
I do the exact same split you listed here and every time I deviate from it, I lose gains.
?

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 10:52:27 AM »
Lol ritch I was worried about the same thing to deviate from what has got me here, then lose size or conditioning but mainly focusing on size now.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 10:53:35 AM »
Congrats on seeing the light and doing the almighty hit.
I do the exact same split you listed here and every time I deviate from it, I lose gains.
How long are you training on this system ? and how often do you deviate?

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 10:56:32 AM »
Lol ritch I was worried about the same thing to deviate from what has got me here, then lose size or conditioning but mainly focusing on size now.

You even have the split in the exact same order as me, so today is leg day, huh? Ah, good ol' leg day. The feeling of excitement/anxiety/fear one has knowing you have to face heavy weights, but know damn well if you don't push it as hard as you can, you will leave feeling disappointed/ashamed knowing you could have done more.

Total love/hate affair...
?

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 10:59:54 AM »
How long are you training on this system ? and how often do you deviate?

Ever since reading POF book, I knew I had something good. The style of training appealed to me and luckily, it's what I respond to best. I must have been 18 or so when I read that, maybe 17.

Against my better judgement, I try new things 3-4 times/year. But I'm done with that shit now...

But not like I'm gonna get any bigger, I just can't stomach the stupid amount of cals needed nor do I feel like it anymore.
?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 11:04:02 AM »
You even have the split in the exact same order as me, so today is leg day, huh? Ah, good ol' leg day. The feeling of excitement/anxiety/fear one has knowing you have to face heavy weights, but know damn well if you don't push it as hard as you can, you will leave feeling disappointed/ashamed knowing you could have done more.

Total love/hate affair...
The split(training principle) you use is of no use unless you stick to it and training regime. The biggest mistake people make is jumping around and listening to too much Bullshit. Regardless of what you do stick to it for at least 3 months.

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 11:05:01 AM »
Lol I just fucking copied the Dorian Yates shit and put it in an order that made sense did legs yesterday

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 11:05:51 AM »
The split(training principle) you use is of no use unless you stick to it and training regime. The biggest mistake people make is jumping around and listening to too much Bullshit. Regardless of what you do stick to it for at least 3 months.

3 months is too long to have the same order of movements and so on... I train hit all the time, but will vary the movements, order as I feel is best, rep ranges as well.
?

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 11:07:29 AM »
Lol I just fucking copied the Dorian Yates shit and put it in an order that made sense did legs yesterday

The good thing about that split is you can sneak some extra arm work in. On chest/bicep day, you can do some pump sets for tri's, on shoulder/tri day, some extra sets for bi's.

But I overtrain real easy and rarely do it even though it's tempting.
?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 11:14:27 AM »
3 months is too long to have the same order of movements and so on... I train hit all the time, but will vary the movements, order as I feel is best, rep ranges as well.
How long do you do train HIT ? I was talking about trying a new system and giving it a chance. 3  months then i think you can say it is good or bad.

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 11:14:46 AM »
I'll go till December on this take pics reevaluate and all that make sure I'm gaining.  Yes if I see my arms r not responding which I believe they will. I've gotten a lot better at training so I finally feel
Confident in my ability to actually do this right.
I've seen guys saying oh I'm doing DC training or Yates style at the gym and they r not training hard or doing shit right... Not gonna b one of those!!!! Yesterday went to failure on the hack squat took all I had at 9.5 reps new experience to fail vs stopping and dropping weight and pumping 10 more out. Now I just have to say fuckit and give it all u can do till there is no more. I'm devoting my time to this so I've spent time reading and this is my new style of training unless it proves faulty which I doubt it.

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2015, 11:16:45 AM »
Yes I change movements every so many training sessions too many lifts not to. but leave the foundation and structure the same.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2015, 11:18:44 AM »
I'll go till December on this take pics reevaluate and all that make sure I'm gaining.  Yes if I see my arms r not responding which I believe they will. I've gotten a lot better at training so I finally feel
Confident in my ability to actually do this right.
I've seen guys saying oh I'm doing DC training or Yates style at the gym and they r not training hard or doing shit right... Not gonna b one of those!!!! Yesterday went to failure on the hack squat took all I had at 9.5 reps new experience to fail vs stopping and dropping weight and pumping 10 more out. Now I just have to say fuckit and give it all u can do till there is no more. I'm devoting my time to this so I've spent time reading and this is my new style of training unless it proves faulty which I doubt it.
keep us informed of your progress. Infact start a thread

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2015, 11:21:31 AM »
How long do you do train HIT ? I was talking about trying a new system and giving it a chance. 3  months then i think you can say it is good or bad.

of course it's good!
And would say I try something new every 4ish months or so for sure, it gets 3 months of "use" before a given change.

But the change was implemented only because my CNS could no longer follow, so a compromise more than anything and I knew that training would not give me gains, just to rest me until I felt ready to go back to hit.

The longest I've tried something and have it "not work" would be 6ish weeks. The density I lost was just too much, arms got small fast also. Meh, gonna go this until I croack, the highest intensity possible which sadly will decrease as I age, but will still be 100% hit and 100% hit will work better than 100% anything else in my case.
?