Author Topic: Looking for 18" threaded dumbell handles  (Read 18004 times)

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
Looking for 18" threaded dumbell handles
« on: October 03, 2006, 04:52:46 PM »
Hey Guys, I am hunting for some 18" threaded dumbell bars, so I can start working out at home. The reason I need the 18" ones is because the 16 and 14 sizes can't hold 7 plates on each side.  As I am aiming to build up to 150 pounds per dumbell.  I found place online that sells them http://newyorkbarbells.com.  But with shipping its going to cost nearly $50 for the pair. Does anyone recommend anywhere else to buy some of these?

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Looking for 18" threaded dumbell handles
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 08:58:42 PM »
Start with Cap Barbell, which supplies many stores around the country as well as companies like NY Barbells. They're great for dumbbells, barbells, bars, cable attachments & accessories. Better to call them for specific items given that the site's a little confusing:
http://www.capbarbell.com/products_template_commodity.htm

Yukon, comparable to NY Barbells:
http://www.yukon-fitness.com/Merchant2/

Another good source is Body Solid. Slightly more money but a little more refined IMO.
http://www.bodysolid.com/

With bigger purchases or to get better prices, the best thing is to try to find local stores so that you (1) can try before buying, and (2) generally get lower prices, since there's no shipping cost. If the store doesn't stock the item they can often order it at little or no shipping charge.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 08:09:02 AM »
We have a couple pair of DB handles that go up to 220 lbs (nearing 300 when using 25lb plates). Had them made in a metal fab shop, though that may not be a option for you. Those threaded DB's tend to wear a bit and become loose for the twist on collars after awhile. Which means that they can not really get tight enought, with the plates shifting when working out. Annoying when trying to lift some serious weight, even could hold a potentional for injury. The hex set screws collars seem to be much more reliable with steady use.
Even those spring lock collars could be better than the original threaded collars. Good Luck.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 08:37:57 AM »
Some of the threaded DBs are actually the safest of all for using heavy weight; the ones with smaller threads that lock tighter. When using heavy weight you can always use 2 spin-lock collars on each ened for extra safety. If they wear out buy some more.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 08:41:51 AM »
go to www.ironmind.com  they have by far the best dumbbell bars on the market, the have a 24 inch handle db bar that holds standard plates that can easily be loaded to 200lbs. plus and a bar called the Olympic Husky Handle db bar that will hold 10-10lb. olympic plates per side, they are a little costly though, the standard db bars are 189.95 and the Olympic bars are 229.95, they're well worth it though.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 08:30:40 PM »
Awesome advice guys!!! I appreciate it.  I am going up to a local shop tomorrow to try out one of their benches. If it doesn't work out I will probably go with the Newyordbarbells.com They had a bench with free shipping. Hoping they can just throw my DB handles in the same box and save me the $25 in shipping charged they would have charged for the DB handles alone.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 09:56:57 PM »
The threaded ends sticking out from the screw on collars will really hurt when you put a 100lb+ dumbell on your quads in order to clear the dumbells to your chest or shoulders for pressing movements.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 03:09:12 AM »
The threaded ends sticking out from the screw on collars will really hurt when you put a 100lb+ dumbell on your quads in order to clear the dumbells to your chest or shoulders for pressing movements.

i have overcome this issue by sticking a folded towel accross my thighs... not ideal but it makes it comfortable

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 06:16:02 PM »
I find I can use those threaded dumbbells for inclines if I just angle the bell on my thighs.  It's really easy and you don't have to stab yourself with the bar by placing it flush.  Just rest the dumbbell with side of the plate by tilting the bell.    I wish I new how to post a picture of what I'm trying to convey.

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 10:40:34 PM »
Thanks for the posts guys,  It sounds like I am doing what all of you are already doing.  threadded dumbells are definately the way to go when you are on a tight budget.  Unfortunately the Bench I ordered is going to take 4 weeks to get here.  So my workouts are a bit limited.  My wife would not be happy if she caught me using her new dinning room chairs for seated dumbell presses. 

Kenpo Machine

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 01:37:36 PM »
Hey Guys, I am hunting for some 18" threaded dumbell bars, so I can start working out at home. The reason I need the 18" ones is because the 16 and 14 sizes can't hold 7 plates on each side.  As I am aiming to build up to 150 pounds per dumbell.  I found place online that sells them http://newyorkbarbells.com.  But with shipping its going to cost nearly $50 for the pair. Does anyone recommend anywhere else to buy some of these?

Personally speaking I feel you can't go wrong with New York Barbells. The equipment holds up nand the price is right. I actually own the 24" threaded dumbbell handles from New York Barbells. I'm way too powerful for the smaller sizes. You're definitely on the right track with New York  Barbells.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 12:07:35 PM »

darsol why settle for the 18 go out and get the 22 inchers right away , so you can grow into them... go on amazon .com for best prices...
F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 01:09:34 PM »
22" work  well, just have a little extra length which some have to get use to, mostly when cleaning up to get ready for flat/incline presses or (in some cases) regular cleans & overhead pressing.

Most guys want to allow a inch or so thread showing no matter how tight they think the collars are. 22" will work great for one arm DB rows and shrugs also.  Threaded DB's usually will beat hex lock nuts every time. Though some threaded DB's may wear a little more than expected..depends on who made them.

Good Luck.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 01:16:12 PM »
22" work  well, just have a little extra length which some have to get use to, mostly when cleaning up to get ready for flat/incline presses or (in some cases) regular cleans & overhead pressing.

Most guys want to allow a inch or so thread showing no matter how tight they think the collars are. 22" will work great for one arm DB rows and shrugs also.  Threaded DB's usually will beat hex lock nuts every time. Though some threaded DB's may wear a little more than expected..depends on who made them.

Good Luck.
i think 22 is about the largest size..
F