Author Topic: My take on the Olympia  (Read 1517 times)

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
My take on the Olympia
« on: September 29, 2008, 12:28:50 PM »
Not that anyone really cares all that much.   ;D

Dexter Jackson

I said during the prejudging that Dexter should win the show. He was bigger than usual, very round and full. If I were to nit pick and I will since this is the Olympia, Dexter could have a little more thigh sweep. As far as size goes I don't think Dex could actually put on anymore considering he is a very small stature guy to begin with. Other than his calves he is complete. Gone was the usual extreme conditioning. Don't get me wrong he was in very good shape, just not like in the past. He slipped a little on Sat, but not enough. On this night even though he was not at his best, he was good enough to win and deservedly so.

Jay Cutler

Jay was just a little better at the prejudging on Fri than he was the year before. What ever the Hell he is doing wrong he knew how to correct it by Sat. Jay had a very full, but washed out look to him on Fri. When I saw him on Sat I was actually thinking that no one would complain if Jay won again. He was that much better. Supposedly dropping close to 12 pounds in one day and it made a huge difference. I would love to know why Jay didn't realize this on Fri. If he had he IMO would still be Mr. Olympia. (not that I would agree with that).

Phil Heath

Phil has got some great parts to him. His arms, especially from the front in a MM pose are insane!!! Best in the world IMO. In a front DB they are still great, but I can think of others with better arms in that pose. Phil had some great conditioning, in fact better than Dexter, but calves aside as far as I'm concerned a Mr Olympia needs to have a complete physique. What hurts Phil is his back. Granted he is not very wide which also hurts his chest. I don't think that his chest is as bad as some are saying. I do think that he needs to figure out how to put on more mass when it comes to his back. There are a lot of guys out there who may not be very wide in the delts, but have a ton of muscle in their back, Rich Gaspari come to mind.

Dennis Wolf

Huge disappointment. I was expecting to see a morphed version of Dennis ala Ronnie Coleman. What I saw on Fri was far from that. Dennis looked great, but he didn't look much different than he did a solid year earlier. In fact, I thought Milos done a better job with him. He was bigger last year, much fuller and just looked plain huge. The bottom line is that Dennis can win the Olympia, he needs another 20 pounds of well distributed muscle and when and if that happens he will crush everyone.

Toney Freeman

Toney continues to defy age and came into the Olympia with great size and conditioning. If Toney lacks anything it's thickness. He has a lot of frame to fill and up to this point has done a great job at doing that. Just a little more chest thickness and a little more size on his triceps would balance out his physique quite well. Supposedly Toney has the formula down pat for conditioning so all he needs to do now is add about 5 to 10 pounds of mass and he will def. be a force to reckon with. I wouldn't have argued if Toney was in the 4th spot on Sat. night.

Special mention has to go to Silvio!! It must have really hurt for him to have all his skin stripped off his body like that.  ;D  Talk about shredded. I would have placed this guy higher. Hell I may even have put him in first place. My guess is that he is currently in the hospital getting much needed skin grafts. Seriously though this guy was overlooked. Silvio out conditioned EVERYONE in the show BAR NONE! The judges certainly don't mind seeing him win the 2nd tier shows so if I were him I'd plan on makin some extra cash this coming year.   :)

Overall and this is just my opinion, the Olympia feels like just another show now. Gone are the greats like Coleman, Levrone, Wheeler, Cormier, Gunter and God forgive me Sean Ray. It's no one's fault and certainly not a put down to any of the competitors up there now, we just don't seem to be getting anyone to replace these guys. Ther's no WOW factor to the Olympia as of now and I don't see it changing anytime soon unfortunately.

On_Swole

• Expert
  • Getbig III
Re: My take on the Olympia
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 05:18:42 PM »
Now that was as spot-on an assessment as I've seen, though, I say that because it matches my opinions exactly.  ;)  Just wish you hadn't mentioned Shon Reigh.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
Re: My take on the Olympia
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 11:21:01 PM »
Not that anyone really cares all that much.   ;D

Dexter Jackson

I said during the prejudging that Dexter should win the show. He was bigger than usual, very round and full. If I were to nit pick and I will since this is the Olympia, Dexter could have a little more thigh sweep. As far as size goes I don't think Dex could actually put on anymore considering he is a very small stature guy to begin with. Other than his calves he is complete. Gone was the usual extreme conditioning. Don't get me wrong he was in very good shape, just not like in the past. He slipped a little on Sat, but not enough. On this night even though he was not at his best, he was good enough to win and deservedly so.

Jay Cutler

Jay was just a little better at the prejudging on Fri than he was the year before. What ever the Hell he is doing wrong he knew how to correct it by Sat. Jay had a very full, but washed out look to him on Fri. When I saw him on Sat I was actually thinking that no one would complain if Jay won again. He was that much better. Supposedly dropping close to 12 pounds in one day and it made a huge difference. I would love to know why Jay didn't realize this on Fri. If he had he IMO would still be Mr. Olympia. (not that I would agree with that).

Phil Heath

Phil has got some great parts to him. His arms, especially from the front in a MM pose are insane!!! Best in the world IMO. In a front DB they are still great, but I can think of others with better arms in that pose. Phil had some great conditioning, in fact better than Dexter, but calves aside as far as I'm concerned a Mr Olympia needs to have a complete physique. What hurts Phil is his back. Granted he is not very wide which also hurts his chest. I don't think that his chest is as bad as some are saying. I do think that he needs to figure out how to put on more mass when it comes to his back. There are a lot of guys out there who may not be very wide in the delts, but have a ton of muscle in their back, Rich Gaspari come to mind.

Dennis Wolf

Huge disappointment. I was expecting to see a morphed version of Dennis ala Ronnie Coleman. What I saw on Fri was far from that. Dennis looked great, but he didn't look much different than he did a solid year earlier. In fact, I thought Milos done a better job with him. He was bigger last year, much fuller and just looked plain huge. The bottom line is that Dennis can win the Olympia, he needs another 20 pounds of well distributed muscle and when and if that happens he will crush everyone.

Toney Freeman

Toney continues to defy age and came into the Olympia with great size and conditioning. If Toney lacks anything it's thickness. He has a lot of frame to fill and up to this point has done a great job at doing that. Just a little more chest thickness and a little more size on his triceps would balance out his physique quite well. Supposedly Toney has the formula down pat for conditioning so all he needs to do now is add about 5 to 10 pounds of mass and he will def. be a force to reckon with. I wouldn't have argued if Toney was in the 4th spot on Sat. night.

Special mention has to go to Silvio!! It must have really hurt for him to have all his skin stripped off his body like that.  ;D  Talk about shredded. I would have placed this guy higher. Hell I may even have put him in first place. My guess is that he is currently in the hospital getting much needed skin grafts. Seriously though this guy was overlooked. Silvio out conditioned EVERYONE in the show BAR NONE! The judges certainly don't mind seeing him win the 2nd tier shows so if I were him I'd plan on makin some extra cash this coming year.   :)

Overall and this is just my opinion, the Olympia feels like just another show now. Gone are the greats like Coleman, Levrone, Wheeler, Cormier, Gunter and God forgive me Sean Ray. It's no one's fault and certainly not a put down to any of the competitors up there now, we just don't seem to be getting anyone to replace these guys. Ther's no WOW factor to the Olympia as of now and I don't see it changing anytime soon unfortunately.

its just not the olympia bro, its bodybuilding in general that doesnt have the "aura" that it once had.

I think that its such a down in the dumps type sport, anyone who has potential wouldnt even want to do it because of the massive amount of drugs used and the black clouds of "freakism" that covers the sport. Id say that a good 9 out of 10 bodybuilding fans wont even admit to the general public that they are indeed bodybuilding fans.

But back to the olympia, i agree with everything u said.

Dennis Wolf was a MAJOR dissapointment. Come to think of it, other than Ronnie ( who would have gotten inshape eating dog food ) who has chad nichols gotten in great shape???

Phil looked amazing, but his structure holds him back. And also i hate to say it, but if he packs on anymore muscle to the front side of his upper body, hes going to start to look distorted. He just needs to bring up that back and he'll be Mr.O ( as long as dennis keeps working with Chad that is :) )

Well lets hope next year is better. It'll be interesting how victor and kai greene will fit into this mix.