Author Topic: Cardio  (Read 236773 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
Re: Cardio
« Reply #550 on: September 07, 2022, 12:28:22 PM »
Yup.

But, it IS maddening.

For years, high cholestorol was "terrible"....now it's not, or is it, or is it ratios, trigs, etc......sat fat bad or not, carbs bad, or not...........never stops.

So, I try to not eat processed shit, but do occasionally.  I mix in fruits and vegetables with good sourced meat for the most part. But I'm always in a limbo state.

BUT what I should do is totally lean out, shed the fat, and build up again.

Inflammation is the latest cause of clogged arteries.

Supposedly eating sugar, starchy carbs, seed oils and trans fats causes it.

Processed foods are full of all that.

Increasing insulin sensitivity is key.

It's not easy to avoid those types of foods in today's society.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #551 on: September 07, 2022, 12:44:53 PM »
Inflammation is the latest cause of clogged arteries.

Supposedly eating sugar, starchy carbs, seed oils and trans fats causes it.

Processed foods are full of all that.

Increasing insulin sensitivity is key.

It's not easy to avoid those types of foods in today's society.

I don't each much direct sugar, almost no seed oils, and hardly any trans fats.  So that's good.

I use only olive oil and pure avocado oil for cooking.

As for starchy carbs, barely eat pasta anymore, almost no bread outside of sprouted grain, but do mix in sweet potato and rice......but I keep those portions small when compared to the meat and veg

I'm also big on well sourced meats, grass fed, no hormone, etc......I know you don't believe in that, but I do.
Y

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #552 on: September 07, 2022, 01:06:44 PM »
I don't each much direct sugar, almost no seed oils, and hardly any trans fats.  So that's good.

I use only olive oil and pure avocado oil for cooking.

As for starchy carbs, barely eat pasta anymore, almost no bread outside of sprouted grain, but do mix in sweet potato and rice......but I keep those portions small when compared to the meat and veg

I'm also big on well sourced meats, grass fed, no hormone, etc......I know you don't believe in that, but I do.

Those types of meat are great if you can afford them.

You do the best you can.

If you don't die of heart disease or clogged arteries then cancer will get you.

Cancer has killed just about everyone in my family although at older ages.  No heart disease though.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #553 on: September 09, 2022, 03:49:17 PM »
Way to fuck up a thread ::)

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #554 on: September 09, 2022, 04:26:32 PM »
Way to fuck up a thread ::)

Cardio is a death sentence.

;)

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #555 on: September 11, 2022, 12:16:58 AM »
IronGay sounds like the kind of guy that hasn't seen his cock in years because of his equator sized stomach.
P

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #556 on: September 18, 2022, 03:50:20 PM »
IronGay sounds like the kind of guy that hasn't seen his cock in years because of his equator sized stomach.

Hey man, how are you doing?

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #557 on: September 25, 2022, 08:03:19 PM »
Hey man, how are you doing?

Good day Clavin, I'm ivin the dream.
Hit spring and the weather's getting better over here, which will hopefully coincide with an increase in my beverage consumption.
P

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #558 on: August 11, 2023, 04:47:21 AM »
Good reading through this thread. Glad there are guys that train for endurance as well as the weights.

A few years ago I warmed up with a mile run in preparation for 40 yard sprints. I was pleased with the the speed I was generating for a guy in his 60's. Then a  pain in my Achilles but I pushed through. I think I partially tore it. I had a limp for awhile and couldn't run for a long time. Walking didn't aggravate it so I walked fast for 5 miles at a time. Roughly 3.8 MPH pace done mainly outside but sometimes on the treadmill. Found the fat was melting off doing this combined with weight lifting in the gym. Did this for a couple of years with very occasional runs. Found the walks took the spring out of my runs. My way to counter it was to include some mild sprinting during the walk. Nothing major but I would pick out a land mark like a tree and semi sprint to it. The estimated distances of the strides were 40 yards to 200 yard.

In my younger days I could string together sub 6 minute miles even though I was better at sprinting. I remember telling a guy I was training with, "You really have to be out of shape if you can't run a sub six minute mile."  Fast forward to my 60's and you could time my miles with an hour glass, lol.

Recently I slowly transitioned from fast walking to running. Thought it would easy considering my walking 5 miles miles at a fast pace but I firmly believe it took the spring out of my legs. Don't get me wrong. I think fast walking is one of the best things you can do for your health.

Regarding running I was making good progress until some current health issues came up.  The last run I had in the heat was 5 miles with the snail pace of 9 and change minute miles. As I age and with health issues I'm still fighting the good fight trying to stay in shape. Hopefully my health issues will improve and I can work on improving my cardio strength.

Not a bodybuilder here. I think if anyone wants to get into great shape a good approach is running and lifting.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #559 on: August 11, 2023, 12:59:02 PM »
No disagreements here.  Our super power in the animal kingdom is the ability to run distance, so we should do what we're designed to do.

Good news though - seems to be a general consensus that the best running to do to burn fat AND improve overall times is to run in zone 2 - basically the speed at which you can carry on a normal conversation.  It's literally like 10-11 miles for some.  I would google and read up on it.

For me, it took away the "guilt" of thinking I had to always be sub 8, and actually makes the runs more enjoyable.  I haven't been able to go that slow, but feel like a 9.5 gets me there.
Y

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #560 on: August 12, 2023, 06:15:17 PM »
No disagreements here.  Our super power in the animal kingdom is the ability to run distance, so we should do what we're designed to do.

Good news though - seems to be a general consensus that the best running to do to burn fat AND improve overall times is to run in zone 2 - basically the speed at which you can carry on a normal conversation.  It's literally like 10-11 miles for some.  I would google and read up on it.

For me, it took away the "guilt" of thinking I had to always be sub 8, and actually makes the runs more enjoyable.  I haven't been able to go that slow, but feel like a 9.5 gets me there.

You can't always bang you head against the wall every run even it feels good when you stop. Some runs have to be enjoyable. A lot of pure distance runners like to do one long day a week.  Many make it enjoyable by going out long but slow.

A great little book about Long Slow Distance was written by Joe Henderson in 1969 I believe. He was a college track distance runner. He got burnt out with all the work and said fuck it. He just wanted to enjoy the runs and he said no more races. He went out long and at an enjoyable pace. Every day he did that. Soon he was enjoying his runs again.  After awhile he thought about racing again but since he did no speed work he thought he wouldn't have the spring in his legs. He raced and I forget the distance, maybe a 10K, and he ran faster than he ever ran before. I think the moral to the story is that a steady diet of LSD runs isn't great training for racing but he allowed himself to recover from the  grueling college track team training and he returned with great results.

I wish I could apply that to lifting but it seems it's always balls to the wall with me. I would have gone a lot further if I knew easy weeks were important. I think it's was Robby in his prime would do his three day split hard and the next three day split was moderate.  That might be a good approach.  Others cycle down to intensity. They hit the wall then begin another cycle.

Today I did something I rarely do these days. Having some health problems but I felt decent and pushed it hard. I did 8 x 440 yards increasing the intensity each set.  My shirt weighed about 5lbs when I finished, lol.  Then I did some heavy bag work. Tomorrow I will do some distance. Hope the intervals put some spring in my step for a good run.

I'm always torn in my fitness journey because I split my time between lifting and running. That way I ensure I'm not good at either, lol. 

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #561 on: August 14, 2023, 01:15:35 AM »
I gave up the gym many years ago and haven't looked back.
Running is awesome.
When the apocalypse comes, fitness will be much more of an asset than how much you can bench press.
P

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #562 on: August 14, 2023, 09:26:58 AM »
Agree but.....

Y

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #563 on: August 14, 2023, 04:35:54 PM »
I gave up the gym many years ago and haven't looked back.
Running is awesome.
When the apocalypse comes, fitness will be much more of an asset than how much you can bench press.

That's why the military stresses fitness. Endurance is what matters in times of war and the apocalypse.  There is no weight lifting in SEAL or Ranger training.  Being able to be awake for 20 hours and to cover 20-30 miles walking at a fast pace will be important. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #564 on: August 14, 2023, 04:41:35 PM »
Agree but.....

Of course both. Just using the example of you can't go balls to the wall all the time with running. You need down days.

Most milers split their training in quarters.  One quarter will be high intensity and low intensity 10-15 mile runs. Next quarter will be something like one or two interval track days with the other days being something like 8 to 10 mile runs. Next quarter will be even split between intervals and distance. The last quarter cycle will be all intervals. No hard fast rules some use third cycles instead of quarters. Some use track intervals year round with their distance days.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #565 on: August 14, 2023, 04:50:48 PM »
I jogged with the dog on/off for 2.25 miles. :o :-X
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #566 on: August 14, 2023, 07:01:30 PM »
I jogged with the dog on/off for 2.25 miles. :o :-X

I would get tired carrying a dog. No wonder you had him on and off. Better to let the dog run the whole route.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #567 on: August 14, 2023, 07:32:59 PM »
I would get tired carrying a dog. No wonder you had him on and off. Better to let the dog run the whole route.
Just walked the little bastard today.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #568 on: August 16, 2023, 06:57:32 AM »
Just walked the little bastard today.

;D
When I take Bubba for walk it's like training because he's always pulling the leash.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #569 on: August 16, 2023, 03:49:14 PM »
;D
When I take Bubba for walk it's like training because he's always pulling the leash.
Oh yeah, one arm rows for the win!!
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #570 on: September 22, 2023, 04:54:17 PM »
Me and the wifey took Bubba for a long walk and she took a turn holding him back on the leash :D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #571 on: November 22, 2023, 05:23:29 PM »
Due to age and health I have been slowing down but I hope to rectify it. Last week my long run was a slow 5 miler.  I was running a paved one mile loop in a park. It stinks when I see runners go by me when I know in my youth I would have easily left them in the dust. Going to put less time in weight lifting and more time doing cardio.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #572 on: November 22, 2023, 06:13:50 PM »
Due to age and health I have been slowing down but I hope to rectify it. Last week my long run was a slow 5 miler.  I was running a paved one mile loop in a park. It stinks when I see runners go by me when I know in my youth I would have easily left them in the dust. Going to put less time in weight lifting and more time doing cardio.

Hey at least your still out there doing it 8)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #573 on: November 23, 2023, 11:41:00 AM »
Being in the walking boot, cardio is limited.

Downloaded a workout program on the Oculus Quest called Supernatural just for a goof.

Gushing sweat 15 min in.

Probably because my conditioning is bad after a month in the boot, but better than nothing.
Y

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #574 on: November 28, 2023, 12:50:12 PM »
Rich you are doing more than some 25 year olds so that can´t be bad