Author Topic: Colin Kaepernick grilled by Miami Dolphins reporter over Fidel Castro shirt  (Read 4039 times)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
It's time for him to leave this country...

With the 49ers visiting the Dolphins this week, San Francisco’s Colin Kaepernick engaged in a conference call with members of the South Florida media. However, one reporter wanted to discuss something that happened in August, when Kaepernick wore a shirt that appeared to show support for Fidel Castro, which led to a tense exchange.

The shirt depicted scenes from a 1960 meeting between Castro and Malcolm X, and it bore the phrase, “Like minds think alike.” Kaepernick wore it to a news conference after the 49ers’ third preseason game, which was when his refusal to stand during the national anthem became a major national story.

[Kaepernick said he didn’t vote in this year’s election]

According to the Palm Beach Post, a Miami Herald reporter began pressing Kaepernick about the shirt during the call Wednesday. The quarterback initially chose to emphasize the fact that Malcolm X was also on it, saying that it showed the slain civil rights activist’s willingness to be “open-minded” about aspects of the world.

The reporter, who was not identified by the Post but was described as “from a family of Cuban exiles,” asked again about Castro. Kaepernick replied, “I’m not talking about Fidel Castro and his oppression. I’m talking about Malcolm X and what he’s done for people.”

That had the reporter accusing Kaepernick of changing the conversation because it was “uncomfortable” to talk about Castro, who remains a largely reviled figure in Miami’s sizable community of Cuban immigrants. At that point, the quarterback praised a social initiative of the revolutionary-turned-politician.

“One thing that Fidel Castro did do is they have the highest literacy rate because they invest more in their education system than they do in their prison system,” Kaepernick said, “which we do not do here, even though we’re fully capable of doing that.”

The reporter pointed out that, unlike what happens in the United States, Castro also broke up families. “We do break up families here,” Kaepernick responded. “That’s what mass incarceration is. That was the foundation of slavery, so our country has been based on that as well as the genocide of Native Americans.”

The back-and-forth continued with Kaepernick being asked if he was equating incarceration with the breakup of families. “I’m equating the breaking up of families with the breaking up of families,” the quarterback said.

Trump: Politics and Kaepernick are why NFL ratings are down  Play Video0:36
Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump spoke at rally Oct. 30 in Greeley, Colo. (The Washington Post)
Kaepernick has been very outspoken this season with his views on American society, even as he has taken over as the 49ers’ starting quarterback and played reasonably well, albeit while his team has plummeted to 1-9. On Wednesday, he fielded another question about reports that his anthem protests, which have been adopted by other players in the NFL — including some Dolphins — as well as athletes in other sports and at other levels of football, are contributing to the NFL’s decline in viewership.

[Kaepernick holds ‘Know Your Rights’ camp for underprivileged Bay Area kids]

“They’re not watching football because of my stance about fighting systematic oppression and wanting the same equality and freedom for all people,” Kaepernick mused, then added, “I would say they probably need to look in the mirror at what they value. You know, if they’re okay with people being treated unfairly, being abused, being harassed, being terrorized, then the problem is more with what they’re doing in their lives than it is about watching football games.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/11/24/colin-kaepernick-grilled-by-miami-dolphins-reporter-over-fidel-castro-shirt/

Skeeter

Jizmonkey

• Getbig III
Shows how truly ignorant he is. 

Sure they are educated,  it your u have see that Castro was a dictator who screws with his people. Kap  is just a wannabe.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
The white family that adopted him and gave him every opportunity to not be oppressed must be so proud. ::)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
Every single evil white person that now attends or views on TV the NFL should stop doing so now and forever.  No more NFL anything. FTNFL.   

catracho

• Getbig IV
  • I don't want to be "that guy"!
So he says he is fighting oppression and then praises a dictator that has oppressed his people for over 50 years?  That makes a ton of sense. Go kneel in Cuba during a their national anthem and see what happens. Castro will lock you up for 30 years and take all your family's property.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
If you go to his Twitter page and see what he reads and retweets you begin to understand why he's been brainwashed

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
Pro afletes are among the most coddled libtards in the world. 

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
He's had an awakening. He's not unintelligent it seems, just highly misinformed and brainwashed by the false narrative that his people are living under the boot of the white man. The guy is dead wrong.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
The thing is, it only becomes an issue if you make it an issue. Why do you give a fuck?
If this guy wants to wear that shirt or not stand during the anthem, then that's his choice. It's his freedom of expression.
If people just ignored his actions and let him do what he wants, he would probably stop doing it. He wants a reaction from men like Coach and they are giving him what he wants.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
Re: Colin Kaepernick grilled by Miami Dolphins reporter over Fidel Castro shirt
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 03:12:20 AM »
He's had an awakening. He's not unintelligent it seems, just highly misinformed and brainwashed by the false narrative that his people are living under the boot of the white man. The guy is dead wrong.

and he is making a lot of political statements.... and yet he didn't vote in the presidential election.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 04:00:09 AM »

From reading his Twitter posts, he seems to be have a victim complex so blames "the white man" for all the problems which America and the world faces. It's an odd outlook for a grown adult to have. I don't think he's a particular intelligent individual. People who lack intelligence yet develop an interest in history and politics often go down a similar route. They struggle to comprehend the complexities of the world we live in so end up following the most basic narrative they are given.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2016, 05:27:54 AM »
Maybe white man is to blame for how shitty he is of a QB...  ::)

DooM_

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2016, 05:32:27 AM »
All I see is a terrorist.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2016, 07:40:10 AM »
Stupid idiot.

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2016, 07:51:56 AM »
should be a scientologist!...

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2016, 01:28:51 PM »
He's just not effecting the NFL and their ratings but also the people that surround him in the off season. I know the facility where he trains and the trainers that does his off season programming. About once every couple of months we all get together for lunches or dinners and they tell me this might affect their off season pro program because 1. Quiet a few of the athletes don't want to be around him and 2. The negative publicity he gets will follow him right into their facility. His bullshit is everywhere.

Fandangle

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2016, 01:32:11 PM »
Stupid idiot.

correct - dude is a fucking imbecile.