Author Topic: Massachusetts Senatorial Race is Close!!!!!  (Read 1444 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Massachusetts Senatorial Race is Close!!!!!
« on: January 14, 2010, 10:15:04 AM »
Scott Brown Gives David Gergen a Lesson in Government
Posted By Roger Kimball
pajamasmedia.com

Our two-year-old daughter has just embarked on the difficult exercise of saying “Massachusetts.” She doesn’t get it quite right, and as far as I know she can’t spell it yet, but then neither can the Martha Coakley campaign, whose latest video ad attacking Scott Brown bore the credit line “Paid for by Massachusettes Democratic Party and Authorized by Martha Coakley for Senate. Approved by Martha Coakley.”

Big deal, right? It’s just a typo. But just imagine, as the folks at Powerline ask, if Sarah Palin had approved an ad that misspelled Alaska. Dan Quayle on steroids, what?

Massachusetts is the state to watch. Can Republican candidate Scott Brown pull it off? Today, less than a week away, it is impossible to say. But were I Martha Coakley, the fact that it is impossible to say would have me very, very worried. Democratic voters in Massachusetts outnumber Republicans 3 to 1. In the normal course of events, Coakley would be solidly, even untouchably ahead. But she isn’t. The polls are all over the place. And Brown has momentum. Into the final stretch, he is raising money hand over fist, and the public performances I’ve seen are very impressive. The guy gets it. On issues from taxes to terrorism to health care reform, he dissents sharply and articulately from the big-government non-solutions proliferating from Washington and state capitals across the country.

He also understands something many of our career politicians have forgotten or perhaps never knew. That in a democracy, public servants serve the public, not themselves and their coterie of special interests. It seems simple, right? You learned it in civics 101, except of course they no longer teach civics 101. That had to go to make room for oppression studies 101 through 896.

Evidence of that lacuna regarding the proper workings of representative democracy is everywhere to be seen. Consider, for example, the debate on Monday between Brown, Coakley, and a third-party candidate. The exchange was moderated by David Gergen — the “insufferable David Gergen” as Powerline correctly observed. When the discussion turned to health care reform, Gergen went on the attack against Brown. The last time Washington set out to socialize health care (I paraphrase) under the Clintons, its defeat meant that it would be fifteen years before the next  serious effort to bring about a government takeover of health care (again, I paraphrase).

Let me pause to observe that fifteen years is a nice respite. We should, perhaps, be grateful to Hillary Clinton for so mucking up the debate that the whole subject of “health care reform” was rendered toxic until the elevation of Barack Obama. If there is something wrong with the way health care is delivered in this country, it is too much, not too little, government involvement. Do you really want to bring down the cost of health insurance? Tear down the artificial barriers that prevent the 1300 insurance companies from competing nationwide for your premiums. Cast a steely eye on the absurd mandates some states force upon insurance companies, requiring them to cover all sorts of new-age garbage. Finally, cap malpractice settlements and force some serious tort reform. Those three policies, vigorously pursued, would do an immense amount to foster real reform without turning over the health care system to a government bureaucrat near you.

That’s in response to the faulty premise of David Gergen’s question. But the denouement gave Scott Brown an opportunity to educate and humiliate Gergen. He did both in a masterly fashion.

Are you, Gergen asked, willing to derail reform for fifteen more years (logic alert! but let it pass) — are you willing to say “I’m going to sit in Ted Kennedy’s seat and I’m going to be the person who is going to block [health reform] for another fifteen years?”

It was supposed to be a “Senator, you’re no Jack Kennedy moment “, but Brown returned the serve and won the game: “With all due respect,” he said, “it’s not the Kennedy seat, it’s not the Democrat’s seat, it’s the people’s seat, and they have a chance to send somebody down who is going to be an independent voter and an independent thinker.”

Good stuff, what? And it has the additional advantage of being true. The Massachusetts Senatorial election is less than a week away. If Scott Brown keeps this up, Martha Coakley will have a hard time finding reporters to shove around.

Here’s the a clip (via Powerline):

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Massachusetts Senatorial Race is Close!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 10:24:59 AM »
The libs will just write this off as a small mistake as they did when dummy Biden said JOBS is a three letter word BUT they went ape shit over Quayle misspelling something and go ape shit after ANY mistake Palin makes.Typical left wing double standard.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 10:32:23 PM »
Suffolk Poll has Brown ahead by 4. Predicted Corzine by 9 5 days before the election

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 06:22:38 AM »
Suffolk Poll has Brown ahead by 4. Predicted Corzine by 9 5 days before the election

IF[I reiterate IF] this happens,will health care die?Will this send such a loud messege to "moderate" democrats that they better not support this bill?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 06:24:21 AM »
IF[I reiterate IF] this happens,will health care die?Will this send such a loud messege to "moderate" democrats that they better not support this bill?

So will crap & tax.   Christie was behind as well and the guy in VA only had a small margin going into that race. 

I think the momentum is behind the GOP and not showinmg up in the polls. 

Only 240 thinks people are content with this communist junta. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 07:19:01 AM »
"Only 240 thinks people are content with this communist junta.  "

Polls show Obama still gets near 50% approval rating.

Are these people approving of obama while still being discontent with a communist junta? 

Nope.  50% of the nation is silly sheep.  Maybe 75%, who knows.  American Idol week 1 was way more important dude.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 07:21:02 AM »
"Only 240 thinks people are content with this communist junta.  "

Polls show Obama still gets near 50% approval rating.

Are these people approving of obama while still being discontent with a communist junta? 

Nope.  50% of the nation is silly sheep.  Maybe 75%, who knows.  American Idol week 1 was way more important dude.

46%

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 07:25:40 AM »
that's a huge number.  Hell, war hero and hottie ticket only for 46% in 2008.

he's done whatever lib stuff he wanted for a year and STILL has 46+%?  That's incredible.

Also Gallup has Obama at 50% today - www.gallup.com

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 07:27:15 AM »
that's a huge number.  Hell, war hero and hottie ticket only for 46% in 2008.

he's done whatever lib stuff he wanted for a year and STILL has 46+%?  That's incredible.

Also Gallup has Obama at 50% today - www.gallup.com

240 - what you fail to realize is that Ocommie is not Clinton and is not a likable person.  He has never been a centrist is a marxist NWP revolutionary.  Just do some damn research on the people around him. 

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 07:44:17 AM »
"he's done whatever lib stuff he wanted for a year and STILL has 46+%?  That's incredible."

No it's not.  You're stuck on the number, and not the huge drop he's had in one year - that's what is telling.

And, he hasn't done what he's wanted, he's done basically nothing.  If he does get going on the stuff he intends to, it will drop more and more.
Y

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 07:46:40 AM »
He's lost 30% in the middle - that's pretty huge and the white house is very concerned about it.

Still, the 20% lib diehards that love him no matter what, and the 30%+ of moderates that are still cool with it - that's a HUGE number.

We're in a depression and he's pushing BS legislation - and half the country is still lovin it.  I just can't get over that.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 07:50:50 AM »
He's lost 30% in the middle - that's pretty huge and the white house is very concerned about it.

Still, the 20% lib diehards that love him no matter what, and the 30%+ of moderates that are still cool with it - that's a HUGE number.

We're in a depression and he's pushing BS legislation - and half the country is still lovin it.  I just can't get over that.

Unreal how blind you are.  

CHECK THIS OUT - HE MAY PULL IT OFF!
________________________ ________________________ ________

Massachusetts: 'Bottom has fallen out' of Coakley's polls; Dems prepare to explain defeat, protect Obama
By: Byron York

Chief Political Correspondent

01/15/10 7:10 AM EST

Here in Massachusetts, as well as in Washington, a growing sense of gloom is setting in among Democrats about the fortunes of Democratic Senate candidate Martha Coakley. "I have heard that in the last two days the bottom has fallen out of her poll numbers," says one well-connected Democratic strategist. In her own polling, Coakley is said to be around five points behind Republican Scott Brown. "If she's not six or eight ahead going into the election, all the intensity is on the other side in terms of turnout," the Democrat says. "So right now, she is destined to lose."

Intensifying the gloom, the Democrat says, is the fact that the same polls showing Coakley falling behind also show President Obama with a healthy approval rating in the state. "With Obama at 60 percent in Massachusetts, this shouldn't be happening, but it is," the Democrat says.

Given those numbers, some Democrats, eager to distance Obama from any electoral failure, are beginning to compare Coakley to Creigh Deeds, the losing Democratic candidate in the Virginia governor's race last year. Deeds ran such a lackluster campaign, Democrats say, that his defeat could be solely attributed to his own shortcomings, and should not be seen as a referendum on President Obama's policies or those of the national Democratic party.

The same sort of thinking is emerging in Massachusetts. "This is a Creigh Deeds situation," the Democrat says. "I don't think it says that the Obama agenda is a problem. I think it says, 1) that she's a terrible candidate, 2) that she ran a terrible campaign, 3) that the climate is difficult but she should have been able to overcome it, and 4) that Democrats beware -- you better run good campaigns, or you're going to lose."

With the election still four days away, Democrats are still hoping that "something could happen" to change the dynamics of the race. But until that thing happens, the situation as it exists today explains Barack Obama's decision not to travel to Massachusetts to campaign for Coakley. "If the White House thinks she can win, Obama will be there," the Democrat says. "If they don't think she can win, he won't be there." For national Democrats, the task is now to insulate Obama against any suggestion that a Coakley defeat would be a judgment on the president's agenda and performance in office.

The private talk among Democrats is also reflected in some public polling on the race. Late Thursday, we learned the results of a Suffolk University poll showing Brown in the lead by four points, 50 percent to 46 percent. That poll showed Obama with a 55 percent approval rating. Also on Thursday, two of Washington's leading political analysts, Stuart Rothenberg and Charlie Cook, each changed their assessment of the Brown/Coakley race from a narrow advantage for Coakley to a toss-up.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/Massachusetts-Bottom-has-fallen-out-of-Coakleys-poll-numbers-Dems-prepare-to-explain-defeat-protect-Obama-81681862.html#ixzz0chHNobyg

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 08:18:00 AM »
chris matthews is declaring Brown the winner.  He's doing so to motivate the left to actually show up and make the perceived winner more complacent.

obama was unpoplar in MAss.... lost the primary despite Teddy's backing.

and 33, I'm not blind... i'm shocked 1/2 the country is still cool with living in a depression.  I don't want repubs to claim victory with 3 years to go before elections.  I remember the 'healthcare is dead' celebrations here and on other forums.  I remember how happy everybody was when TARp was defeated.  Counting chickens before they hatch :(

I'd rather repubs say "50% gallup is a huge problem... let's not celebrate until we have this cat at 30%".  Complacency is the enemy of the GOP - if the peak and celebrat in Jan 2010, their passion might not be there in 10 months for election day.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 09:00:30 AM »
chris matthews is declaring Brown the winner.  He's doing so to motivate the left to actually show up and make the perceived winner more complacent.

obama was unpoplar in MAss.... lost the primary despite Teddy's backing.

and 33, I'm not blind... i'm shocked 1/2 the country is still cool with living in a depression.  I don't want repubs to claim victory with 3 years to go before elections.  I remember the 'healthcare is dead' celebrations here and on other forums.  I remember how happy everybody was when TARp was defeated.  Counting chickens before they hatch :(

I'd rather repubs say "50% gallup is a huge problem... let's not celebrate until we have this cat at 30%".  Complacency is the enemy of the GOP - if the peak and celebrat in Jan 2010, their passion might not be there in 10 months for election day.

Normally you would be 100% right.However with this bunch in there EVERYDAY there is something new to get people infuriated.Yesterday it was the deal with the unions.EVERY single day Obama or one of his libs tries to say or do something that is so infuriating that it just stokes the flames higher and higher.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 09:53:11 AM »
yes BILLY - in 2009 and early 2010.

My guess is that obama get real quiet on legislation in late 2010, opting for non-offensive feel-good PR events.  make people happy.  lay low even.

Then, in 2011 when he sqeuaks out with what will probably be a slim lead in house and 57 votes in senate, he'll feed people shit sandwiches for another 15 months.

Then, it's back to playing cool before the election.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 10:03:48 AM »
Here's proof that Martha Coakley is getting desperate.  LOL 

It's also proof that moderators should learn how to keep the questions on point WITHOUT adding their opinion or showing their favoritism.  This goofball moderator hurt his favored candidate so much that it caused Coakly to have to spend more money just to offset the damaged that he caused when Scott Brown owned him. 

It also gives Scott Brown more momentum because he has the funds to rebut Coakley since she's one the ropes.  Dude is raising something like $1mil/day.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 10:06:24 AM »
Freaking pathetic. 

Typical liberal trash. 

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 11:12:01 AM »
yes BILLY - in 2009 and early 2010.

My guess is that obama get real quiet on legislation in late 2010, opting for non-offensive feel-good PR events.  make people happy.  lay low even.

Then, in 2011 when he sqeuaks out with what will probably be a slim lead in house and 57 votes in senate, he'll feed people shit sandwiches for another 15 months.

Then, it's back to playing cool before the election.

I don't think they are capeable of that.Obama and the libs cant help themselves.Another thing like Gates will pop up.He cant help himself.Hes a radical.Just look at yesterday.The congress voted right along party lines to dismiss the whole black panther voting place affair.Its things like that that will keep fueling the fire.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 11:14:58 AM »
By the way,just YESTERDAY Harry Reid said that cap and trade will be brought up in the spring.I dont think your prediction will come true.They cant help themselves.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2010, 11:15:57 AM »
Guys check this out!!!

Hoaxley says devote Catholics should not be in the emergency room. 

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2010, 11:26:04 AM »
Isn't Massachusetts something like almost 70% Catholic?

Guess it really doesn't matter.  Of the denominations, Catholics were the ones who voted overwhelmingly for Obama in 2008. 

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010, 11:50:25 AM »
Coaxley sounds like a hard core liberal (just what we don't need more of right now).  Brown sounds like a moderate.  I hope Brown wins.  It seems like every week this liberal congress (and the administration) are doing something to change the country in the wrong direction...toward more big government solutions.  We have to stop this train.  Massachusetts would be a huge historically unpredicted referrendum.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 11:53:29 AM »
Coaxley sounds like a hard core liberal (just what we don't need more of right now).  Brown sounds like a moderate.  I hope Brown wins.  It seems like every week this liberal congress (and the administration) are doing something to change the country in the wrong direction...toward more big government solutions.  We have to stop this train.  Massachusetts would be a huge historically unpredicted referrendum.

Home of the first Tea Party, hopefully the start of the Second! 

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2010, 11:58:30 AM »
Dude, it's every week these liberals are doing something that makes me angry and/or more disappointed.
I can't wait to vote in the Nov. elections this year.  My only hope is that the republicans can nominate some decent candidates, some reasonable conservatives that will stay opposed to big gov.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2010, 12:00:06 PM »
Dude, it's every week these liberals are doing something that makes me angry and/or more disappointed.
I can't wait to vote in the Nov. elections this year.  My only hope is that the republicans can nominate some decent candidates, some reasonable conservatives that will stay opposed to big gov.

You cant say some us us more "extreme" wing nut teabaggers did not warn of this.