Author Topic: Homeowner shoots bear invader with shotgun (Bear took 10 shots to fall!)  (Read 7334 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Homeowner shoots bear invader with shotgun(CO)
Daily Camera ^ | 27 July, 2009 | Laura Snider

Posted on Friday, July 31, 2009 8:47:05 AM by marktwain

BOULDER, Colo. — It took three rounds from a shotgun, five bullets from a handgun and two shots from a rifle to kill the 120-pound black bear that broke into a Boulder County home early Monday morning.

The bear break-in was the fifth time in a week hungry bears have gotten into Boulder County residences, all while the residents were home. That has wildlife officials urging area residents to take precautions and bear proof their homes.

Brenda Fischer's barking dog woke her at about 2 a.m. Monday morning. When she went upstairs to investigate, she found a bear in the kitchen of her home on Poorman Road, between Sunshine and Fourmile canyons.

Fischer quickly returned downstairs to wake her two children and her husband.

"As soon as I knew there was a bear inside the house, I went to gather up both our weapon and our ammunition, because they are in two different places, and went to place myself with the weapon between the family and the bear," said Paul Fischer, Brenda's husband.

"As soon as I moved to try and make a place for him to get out, he charged me," Fischer continued. "That's when I shot him and he kept charging me. I shot him a second time, and he kept charging me. I shot him a third time and he was finally disoriented enough for me to get away."

The first two rounds from the 12-gauge shotgun were birdshot and the third was rubber bullets, according to a report by the sheriff's office. The Fischers escaped through a bedroom window, leaving the wounded bear inside the house.

When officers arrived on the scene at about 2:30 a.m., they found a bloody bear trying to claw his way through a screen door.

Sheriff's Sgt. Lance Enholm, after determining that the bear was severely injured and would need to be put down, fired his .45-caliber handgun five more times at the animal.

"(The first shot) struck the bear in the head, and it immediately reacted and began flopping around and growling," Enholm wrote in his report. "... I fired another round from my handgun, again striking the bear in the head. This didn't appear to have any impact on the bear, and it kept coming towards me."

It was shot number nine, however, this time from the sergeant's .223-caliber rifle, that finally felled the bear; a final round ended the bear's suffering, according to the police report.

Paul Fischer told officers he was certain the bear, determined to be a juvenile male, was the same one he'd seen on his property several times recently.

State wildlife officials said it's impossible to know, however, if this bear was the same one that broke into three other Boulder County homes in the past week.

"The bears are out right now, and they're looking for food," said Jennifer Churchill, spokeswoman for the Colorado Division of Wildlife. "I had hoped that, with all the wet weather this year, we wouldn't have as many incidents. But I'm told they're kind of between food sources right now."

But even with abundant natural food, high-calorie human food can be irresistible for bears, which eat as many as 20,000 calories a day by late summer and early fall to fatten up for the winter. And once the bears have gotten a hold of a human-made food, they'll keep coming back no matter how many berries are on the bushes.

"Birdseed is often times the first thing that bears get in trouble with," Churchill said, "and that starts the vicious cycle of them getting too comfortable with humans."

________________________ ________________________ ________________________ _____

That was one tough bear!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
people sometimes underestimate how many bullets it can take to bring down an amped up wild animal. 

now and then you'll find a dead hunter, and an animal a quarter mile away with 4 bullets in its chest, having finally bled out.  Adrenaline in animals is crazy.  They don't know they're supposed to panic and run when they see a bullet in their belly.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
people sometimes underestimate how many bullets it can take to bring down an amped up wild animal. 

now and then you'll find a dead hunter, and an animal a quarter mile away with 4 bullets in its chest, having finally bled out.  Adrenaline in animals is crazy.  They don't know they're supposed to panic and run when they see a bullet in their belly.

10 shots! 

Sounds like I better have my Saiga 12 clips filled with Slugs and 00 Buck. 

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
On the flip side check this out, sometimes mamals do amazing things

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25856885-401,00.html?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
That bear would have stood no chance against my sleeper hold.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
That bear would have stood no chance against my sleeper hold.

Who are you Fedor or something?   

It looks like Fedor and Palin have something in common. 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
If I were truly sadistic I would slap on my figure four and really make him holler while I pulled on the ropes (or drapes) for extra leverage.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
I had a friend who was in the Air Force at a White Alice station during the 70's, and he was told to carry a .357 Magnum around in case of grizzly bear attack.  He was told a head shot was the only thing that would save the situation and a jacketed .357 load of the type that can go through a car engine block was the only thing that would go through a bear's skull.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
its all about where you hit them, never been bear hunting but you can hit a deer and if you dont hit an vital organ they can run for freaking ever but you put one shot in the right place heart, lungs etc. they may only make it 10 feet.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
its all about where you hit them, never been bear hunting but you can hit a deer and if you dont hit an vital organ they can run for freaking ever but you put one shot in the right place heart, lungs etc. they may only make it 10 feet.

if youre lucky.

if you're not, you can hit them in the heart and the head and they'll still move 50 feet to gore you before they black out.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
if youre lucky.

if you're not, you can hit them in the heart and the head and they'll still move 50 feet to gore you before they black out.
well LOL around here we hunt deer from stands or hides for the most part, and in general the deer is a decent ways away and if you hit a deer in the heart its going down pretty damn quick like I said maybe 10 feet. If you miss and just wing it like I said they can run for ever. This is pretty bad but I remember one time a guy first time hunting clipped one and it basically took out both front legs I mean mangled them they where basically just hanging on by skin but this thing ran on those nubs for a good 200 yds before bedding down. sorry to the animal lovers I know thats not the best story and its usually not like that.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
WARNING: Deer gets shot so if you dont want to see it dont watch it...

fast forward to the end thats what happens when you make a good shot and hit the heart.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
well LOL around here we hunt deer from stands or hides for the most part, and in general the deer is a decent ways away and if you hit a deer in the heart its going down pretty damn quick like I said maybe 10 feet. If you miss and just wing it like I said they can run for ever. This is pretty bad but I remember one time a guy first time hunting clipped one and it basically took out both front legs I mean mangled them they where basically just hanging on by skin but this thing ran on those nubs for a good 200 yds before bedding down. sorry to the animal lovers I know thats not the best story and its usually not like that.

It is what it is.  I used to hunt a lot as a kid.  Not so much these days.  Not a lot to shoot in Florida and the heat/mosquitoes aren't fun. 

Up in OH it was whitetails and black bears.  My first bear skin hung on the wall for 10 years.  I must have been 10 years old, holding a rifle that weighed half of what I did.  Dad and uncle bob always dropped the thing if I didn't.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
You Bastard!!! you killed Bambi!  >:(

btw - Could you make your warning a little more prominent?
I saw it just after I saw the deer fall. It was so shocking I was taken aback. Then I saw the warning.  :-\
w

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
WARNING: Deer gets shot so if you dont want to see it dont watch it...

fast forward to the end thats what happens when you make a good shot and hit the heart.

That was insta death.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
It is what it is.  I used to hunt a lot as a kid.  Not so much these days.  Not a lot to shoot in Florida and the heat/mosquitoes aren't fun. 

Up in OH it was whitetails and black bears.  My first bear skin hung on the wall for 10 years.  I must have been 10 years old, holding a rifle that weighed half of what I did.  Dad and uncle bob always dropped the thing if I didn't.
I remember the first time I went hunting my friend told me I would get the shakes and my heart would beat fast but i didnt believe him ive been shooting all my life and thats never happend but man when that deer walked out and I saw it my heart started beating hard and my hands where shaking so much i had to take a few deep breaths before i could even try to take a shot.

Then I saw my first buck and goodness gracious talk about your heart racing...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
You Bastard!!! you killed Bambi!  >:(

btw - Could you make your warning a little more prominent?
I saw it just after I saw the deer fall. It was so shocking I was taken aback. Then I saw the warning.  :-\
sorry jagalicious i fixed it...trust thats much better then winging the deer and having it run off wounded though.

youve never had venison? thats good meat.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
I remember the first time I went hunting my friend told me I would get the shakes and my heart would beat fast but i didnt believe him ive been shooting all my life and thats never happend but man when that deer walked out and I saw it my heart started beating hard and my hands where shaking so much i had to take a few deep breaths before i could even try to take a shot.

I never really knew what was going on.  I didn't mind hunting.  I was more freaked out by the mice in the camper and crapping in the woods in the middle of the night.  I just shot when they told me to.  I'd probably be a lot more scared about it today, but back then I knew my dad would finish anything I missed.  I was too little to know kill shots, I just shot for center mass and tried not to get knocked over.   The 22 was easier to control, but you coulnd't take that out there.  ah, good times.  i haven't thought about those memories in years. :)

24KT

• Getbig V

Alot of people react like that when they confront a young buck.  ;)  Take it for what it's worth.  :-*
w

24KT

• Getbig V
sorry jagalicious i fixed it...trust thats much better then winging the deer and having it run off wounded though.

youve never had venison? thats good meat.

You know I'm a vegetarian right?
w

tonymctones

• Getbig V
I never really knew what was going on.  I didn't mind hunting.  I was more freaked out by the mice in the camper and crapping in the woods in the middle of the night.  I just shot when they told me to.  I'd probably be a lot more scared about it today, but back then I knew my dad would finish anything I missed.  I was too little to know kill shots, I just shot for center mass and tried not to get knocked over.   The 22 was easier to control, but you coulnd't take that out there.  ah, good times.  i haven't thought about those memories in years. :)
LOL im more worried about the spiders in the campers and the cougar that roams around then the mice but I agree mice aint no fun either. One thing I will tell you though hunting really shows you how unsafe some ppl can be around guns.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Alot of people react like that when they confront a young buck.  ;)  Take it for what it's worth.  :-*
LOL i am a young buck do you get the shakes when you talk to me  ;) ;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V

Hey, completely off topic (for a BBing board?)
what kind of proteins do you eat, being a vegetarian?  eggs/milk allowed?

I've flirted with it several times.  Really intrigued by it.  I need 3000 cal a day to stay at my weight... Don't know how to get near that, by eating healthy.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
LOL im more worried about the spiders in the campers and the cougar that roams around then the mice but I agree mice aint no fun either. One thing I will tell you though hunting really shows you how unsafe some ppl can be around guns.

I hear ya on that.  There is nothing that makes you want to smack someone more than sweeping the hunting party with their barrel.  You should be able to leave someone in the woods for that  >:(

tonymctones

• Getbig V
and no I didnt, I dont know how anybody could be a vegetarian but to each their own...how do you get your protein?