Author Topic: good info for those who feed their dogs kibble.....  (Read 6247 times)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Re: good info for those who feed their dogs kibble.....
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2007, 05:19:32 AM »
You talking to me

No, lol!!   I was meaning that for some reason feeding an animal is made out to be so difficult, yet I think it is harder to feed a human a proper diet than an animal.

Sure you do!!!  It's all the hell all over!!!  Look at all the cereals, granola bars, frozen (crap) meals, cookies, crackers, Pringles, Twinkies, fruit roll-ups, shall I go on? on the shelves

LOL!!!  But the comparison would be a bag of human food that is the staple of the diet and fed for every meal because it is "complete & balanced".  There would be some variations of course, like Senior, Overweight, Child, Puberty Growing formula................ ;D

Just like Doctors know $hit about human nutrition.  Same thing with my vet.  I think she's old school and has been brainwashed by Hills.  She's getting an earfull next week when Scout goes in for his 1 year check up.  I'm taking the above with me.  Thanks JMT.

You'd think that it would be a no brainer to know that a carnivore needs meats and meat items as the highest ingredients and could look at a bag of kibble and see that a kibble does not meet that requirement.   :-\   That just shows how little credence they give to diet in regards to health which is a shame because diet obviously plays a role in health for all life. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2007, 05:22:21 AM »
I seem to recall reading a long time ago that flax oil isn't that great of a thing for dogs (or was it cats?).  Something about them not being able to assimulate it or something... Huh   Nothing bad, just a waste basically...

Because it is plant based.  Some dogs are allergic to flax also and it can aggravate skin conditions.  I do know people that give flax with no problem, but fish oil is better.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2007, 08:35:55 AM »
For the month or so that I've actually paid attention to this thread, I've heard you bring up the fact that you feed your *dogs* a raw diet more than a few times.  You consistently make a point to say that it is better than kibble.  I am sure it is.  The fact of the matter is, a dog will eat anything.  It is food.  It doesn't care whether you feed it cheese, or nachos, or a raw diet, or iams, or a high quality holistic kibble. 

There is no such thing as what is the universally BEST thing for a dog.  They are so removed from eating raw meat in the wild that some dogs probably do better with kibble.  I know a couple who have two 130lb in shape Bouviers, who are show dogs, and feed them Eukanuba because they do well on it.  They aren't fat, have great muscle tone, and their coat is beautiful.

Dogs don't NEED anything except food, water, shelter and guidance.  They don't NEED expensive raw diets unless you want to boast the "look at me I feed a raw diet".  They don't NEED Eagle Pack or Canidae.  If peoples dogs are doing well on some shit food they bought from Acme, then so be it.  If it isn't broke don't fix it.

There are a ton of people who feed their dog a raw diet just for bragging rights, and very few who feed a raw diet because it is statistically probably the best thing to feed a dog.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2007, 09:09:23 AM »
Raw is best.  Can kibble sustain life, sure it can.

But what is best for the dog is a raw, unprocessed carnivore diet.

Raw doesn't have to be expensive. It costs me the same or less to feed raw.

Why does it offend you that I actually feed what is best for dogs?
   ;D

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2007, 09:17:24 AM »
  The fact of the matter is, a dog will eat anything.  It is food.  It doesn't care whether you feed it cheese, or nachos, or a raw diet, or iams, or a high quality holistic kibble. 

Dogs don't NEED anything except food, water, shelter and guidance.  They don't NEED expensive raw diets unless you want to boast the "look at me I feed a raw diet".  They don't NEED Eagle Pack or Canidae.  If peoples dogs are doing well on some shit food they bought from Acme, then so be it.  If it isn't broke don't fix it.

because a dog doesnt care or will eat anything that means you should feed them just anything?  there is a big difference between higher quality foods like canidae and cheap supermarket brands. whether you choose to feed your dog raw, barf, kibble, it is about doing what is best for your dogs health.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2007, 09:30:34 AM »
because a dog doesnt care or will eat anything that means you should feed them just anything?  there is a big difference between higher quality foods like canidae and cheap supermarket brands. wheter you choose to feed your dog raw, barf, kibble, it is about doing what is best for your dogs health.

You just made my point.  It is about doing what is best for your dogs health.  If your dog is healthy, happy and energetic while eating fruit loops twice a day, does it really matter?

As far as Flower goes, you keep feeding a raw diet and announcing to anyone who will listen that you do so.  I am glad you know what is best for all dogs.  You don't "offend" me, I post here sparingly, it just so happens that when I do I always see posts knocking kibble and praising barf.  It is annoying.  With your vast knowledge of canine nutrition you should write a book or something  ::)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2007, 09:42:29 AM »
Then we shouldn't have kibble threads either then?

Nor should any comments on ingredients in kibble be discussed?

As long as there are people that still believe kibble is the only way I will keep mentioning raw feeding!!

If nothing else people have become aware of what they should be looking for in a kibble if they chose to feed that way.  I have also posted information in that regard also many many times. 

People may chose to go for long term health when choosing a diet, so just because El Cheapo Crap in a Bag seems to be fine for the animal now, maybe a person might be concerned with wanting their pet around for many years. Choosing a diet that will help accomplish that, whether it is raw or a quality kibble that does more than ferment in their stomach and comes out the back end the same way because it mainly consists of ingredients that are not bioavailable to the dog, may be a concern to some people.   If it isn't to you, then don't read those posts.
    :)

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2007, 10:03:11 AM »
90% of the country feeds their dog whatever is cheapest, or table scraps, and their dogs live long lives.  Good luck on your crusade to spread your word of the benefits of a raw diet ON A BODYBUILDING FORUM with your army of raw diet fed dogs.  Go get em Cleopatra.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2007, 10:11:58 AM »
I think everyone is entitled to their opinion & also....how they run their lives or what they do with it.

People can disagree with how you do things....but if you ever open up a question of "why not" or "why"....be expected to get a bunch of responses that you may not like.  In turn, if you debate them....don't expect them to go away quietly.

If I disagree....I just disagree & end it there.  I can change my mind after reading or being addressed with a debate only if I'm curious enough to open that channel or willing to maybe learn/try something new.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2007, 10:25:39 AM »
90% of the country feeds their dog whatever is cheapest, or table scraps, and their dogs live long lives.  Good luck on your crusade to spread your word of the benefits of a raw diet ON A BODYBUILDING FORUM with your army of raw diet fed dogs.  Go get em Cleopatra.

Someone needs to address some issues they have.   8)

This is the Pet Board.  You don't see me starting threads on the main board or the training board do you?   Or were you implying that there is only a bunch of dumb bodybuilders on GetBig and therefore trying to give them information on anything other than picking up a heavy piece of metal is pointless?

That was really mean of you!!
    :-[

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2007, 11:29:10 AM »

Someone needs to address some issues they have.   8)

Oh no, look at me going crazy.  I am totally spinning out of control here.  I am being as mean as every time I make a post you take my words and apply them to someone else's post with sarcasm.  Like the high horse comment.  We are on the internet, it ain't that serious.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2007, 01:55:03 PM »
I think everyone is entitled to their opinion & also....how they run their lives or what they do with it.

People can disagree with how you do things....but if you ever open up a question of "why not" or "why"....be expected to get a bunch of responses that you may not like.  In turn, if you debate them....don't expect them to go away quietly.

If I disagree....I just disagree & end it there.  I can change my mind after reading or being addressed with a debate only if I'm curious enough to open that channel or willing to maybe learn/try something new.

In tempers defence, this was a kibble thread to start with. :-\
As empty as paradise

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2007, 08:19:01 PM »
bump for Sin
:

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2007, 09:23:17 PM »
bump for Sin

The wife has refused the BARF diet.. I looked into and she won't do it. Most of the nights she feeds the boys and refuses to have any part of it...