Author Topic: When I was 16 I thought all pros were natural :)  (Read 9475 times)

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
Re: When I was 16 I thought all pros were natural :)
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2009, 04:11:15 PM »
Bob, do you feel that if you pushed your conditionning harder you could have won a few shows (in the open not masters)

I feel so

No...I placed runner up twice and top 6 a few times. I think turning pro earlier would have been the ticket

Could I have pushed the envelope more?  sure...but we all make our choices and mine was to explore other ways of making a living from the sport...I have no regrets

Immortal_Technique

• Getbig IV
  • "It's all a bunch of shit, I say fuck it" - DF
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2009, 04:57:58 PM »
I honestly thought that if a person trained heavy and intense, and ate lots of carbs and protein, they could get big enough to be a IFBB pro. I thought that if you followed the pros routines in the magazines that you could be pro, as long as you had good genetics, trained hard, and had followed their diets.

By the time I was 18, I realized all ifbb pros were drugged up :)

Yeah I thought this too! I thought the nutrition was that good, and the drug testing was like a real thing, government enforced, hahaha how wrong I was.

There was this one pic of Nasser doing a MM pose which I found particularly impressive, but now when I look at it I can see not only is he obviously not natural but his delts are full of synthol!

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2009, 05:43:18 PM »
lol maybe he only see's the rec drugs are real drugs, like cocaine free, not weed, not pcp stuff like that he means probably in his own mind that is how he explains it.

The 1990 Arnold Classic proved everything. 
((-::

3Dkiller

• Getbig IV
  • Fuck The New World Order
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2009, 05:45:40 PM »
supplements=steroids.     selfemployed= g4p.

no supplements are wannabe steroid.
TEAM WOLF

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2009, 05:47:37 PM »
i think most kids know they aren't natural, at least the smart ones do :P

i remember being in a waldon's bookstore back in 95 or so, and some middle school aged kids saw a flex magazine and one said "he's on steroids"

E
With family /deeply religeus guys like Haney in the sport, it was a bit hard to believe he'd resort to drug use. He looked amazing even w/o drugs in 1990!!!

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2009, 06:42:06 PM »
With family /deeply religeus guys like Haney in the sport, it was a bit hard to believe he'd resort to drug use. He looked amazing even w/o drugs in 1990!!!

I'm pretty sure that Lee Haney didn't use steroids because I have an old VHS video where Lee himself says "Bodybuilding is exercise and nutrition at its best, which does not mean the use of anabolic steroids or other such chemicals.  For me, Joe Weider's dynamic muscle builder is number one."

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2009, 06:50:01 PM »
When I was 16 .... all pros WERE natural!

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2009, 07:00:46 PM »
I'm pretty sure that Lee Haney didn't use steroids because I have an old VHS video where Lee himself says "Bodybuilding is exercise and nutrition at its best, which does not mean the use of anabolic steroids or other such chemicals.  For me, Joe Weider's dynamic muscle builder is number one."
Then what did he mean when he said "I promissed Shirly, I'll never stick another chemical into my body" After retiring?

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2009, 07:05:34 PM »
Then what did he mean when he said "I promissed Shirly, I'll never stick another chemical into my body" After retiring?

I think Lee meant that he wasn't gonna use Joe Weider's dynamic muscle builder supplements anymore.

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2009, 07:08:15 PM »
I think Lee meant that he wasn't gonna use Joe Weider's dynamic mucle builder supplements anymore.
I miss the muscle builder and weight gainer chewable tablets. They may not have worked but they sure were tasty.

karu

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2009, 07:12:09 PM »
Chick you are a illegal drug abusing criminal that flat out lies to make a buck
"take this supplement and you'll get big too!"

Lying about how natural you are is typical.

Pretty much..they had forums in BB mags discussing steroids openly. Even though I knew that was the route, I made a decision to be natural until I turned 20.  Building a base without the gear was smart and what the guys at the gym I looked up to suggested.  

Safe to say, I was given the right advices

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2009, 07:28:07 PM »
What year was that Regmac?

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2009, 07:49:11 PM »
What year was that Regmac?
1990-1991   I was addicted to them. 

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2009, 04:44:21 AM »
I honestly thought that if a person trained heavy and intense, and ate lots of carbs and protein, they could get big enough to be a IFBB pro. I thought that if you followed the pros routines in the magazines that you could be pro, as long as you had good genetics, trained hard, and had followed their diets.

By the time I was 18, I realized all ifbb pros were drugged up :)

I had a similar experience.  And I don't know which magazines chick was reading that was open about drug use...especially when he was a teenager  ::)  As an ignorant teen I had subscriptions to FLEX and M&F, and the ONLY time they ever mentioned steroids was to talk about gyno or roid rage or something negative like that.

My sophomore year in high school I actually wrote a letter to FLEX for confirmation or to debunk the myth...of course I never heard from them, nor did they print my letter in the reader's section  :D
just not good enough

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2009, 04:54:38 AM »

I had a similar experience.  And I don't know which magazines chick was reading that was open about drug use...especially when he was a teenager  ::)  As an ignorant teen I had subscriptions to FLEX and M&F, and the ONLY time they ever mentioned steroids was to talk about gyno or roid rage or something negative like that.

My sophomore year in high school I actually wrote a letter to FLEX for confirmation or to debunk the myth...of course I never heard from them, nor did they print my letter in the reader's section  :D

Are you kidding?

Befor it was M&F, it was Muscle Builder/ Power...and it had a regular drug column, and many of the guys talked fairly openly about steroid use...Muscle Training Illustrated, Muscle Digest....Dan Douchaine, Jerry Brainium wrote regular articles.

believe it or not...life exsisted before 1990, son :o

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2009, 05:04:00 AM »

Great site for magazine covershots:
http://vintagemusclemags.com/

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2009, 05:10:42 AM »
VINTAGE Baby!!

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2009, 05:12:23 AM »
widest smile ever  ;D

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2009, 05:15:33 AM »
Great hair on the Chickster. I wonder if he's a Fop man, or a Dapper Dan man?

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2009, 05:20:32 AM »
As a teenager, I had heard about steroids, but, I never realized how much they did until I witnessed the transformation of a bodybuilder named Steve Adell. He was a 200lb guy, who went on the program, blew up to 240 ripped and finished 7th in the 1983 Heavyweight Nationals.

Check out this lineup:

NPC National Bodybuilding Championships Overall Winner Bob Paris

HeavyWeight 1 Bob Paris 2 Rory Leidelmeyer 3 Mike Christian 4 Jeffrey Williams 5 Matt Mendenhall 6 Rich Gaspari 7 Steven Adell 8 Neal Spruce 9 Jon Jordan 10 Jeff Smullen 11 Gregory Comeaux 12 Ron Love 13 Cal Lueneburg 14 Jeff Everson

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2009, 05:23:52 AM »

Great site for magazine covershots:
http://vintagemusclemags.com/

If you dont feel like, or unable to smile correctly dont bother. It looks silly and fake. Try to use more of your upper face muscles when hitting a smile, that way you wont come across as a sad joker on pictures. Its the more natural smiling approach that you need , use the muscles around your eyes. You re a good speaker, but phony as hell as i have judged it.

io856

« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2009, 05:25:41 AM »
If you dont feel like, or unable to smile correctly dont bother. It looks silly and fake. Try to use more of your upper face muscles when hitting a smile, that way you wont come across as a sad joker on pictures. Its the more natural smiling approach that you need , use the muscles around your eyes. You re a good speaker, but phony as hell as i have judged it.
oh dear lord...

he was 21 ffs how many photoshoots did you have lined up then?

you don't get along with people on the outside huh?

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2009, 05:27:12 AM »

retard

Post a pic of yourself smiling "correctly" so we can all learn from your wisdom

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2009, 05:34:08 AM »
Looking great Bob!!

io856

« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2009, 05:35:47 AM »
haha maybe when you get around to posting that pic you can all show us what stuffing yourself with protein every 2 hours and bodybuilding taking up 50% of life can produce  :)