Author Topic: GM Plant Closures  (Read 2532 times)

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
GM Plant Closures
« on: November 27, 2018, 01:19:23 PM »
A good tweet from The Donald! More of this please, less of the hissy-fits:

Nothing being closed in Mexico & China. The U.S. saved General Motors, and this is the THANKS we get! We are now looking at cutting all @GM subsidies, including for electric cars. General Motors made a big China bet years ago when they built plants there (and in Mexico) — don’t think that bet is going to pay off. I am here to protect America’s Workers!

I’m fine with cutting GM’s subsidies. In fact, I’m in favor of cutting all subsidies. If I want to support GM I can do so directly; I know their ticker symbol and  where the local dealers are.

mazrim

• Getbig V
Re: GM Plant Closures
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 05:20:01 PM »

I’m fine with cutting GM’s subsidies. In fact, I’m in favor of cutting all subsidies.
Agree.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 06:25:13 PM »
As usual, a clearheaded opinion I can agree with. Although I own some GM shit.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 06:33:42 PM »
I own nothing GM, but stock is down -2.55% 36.69. It has to rebound sometime

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 06:39:05 PM »
A good tweet from The Donald! More of this please, less of the hissy-fits:

Nothing being closed in Mexico & China. The U.S. saved General Motors, and this is the THANKS we get! We are now looking at cutting all @GM subsidies, including for electric cars. General Motors made a big China bet years ago when they built plants there (and in Mexico) — don’t think that bet is going to pay off. I am here to protect America’s Workers!

I’m fine with cutting GM’s subsidies. In fact, I’m in favor of cutting all subsidies. If I want to support GM I can do so directly; I know their ticker symbol and  where the local dealers are.

His tweet was still a bit of a hissie fit but since that is a daily occurrence it's hard to notice sometimes

They (and all other corporations) already got a massive tax cut so I'm sure that will start resulting in hundreds of thousands new jobs any day now

Kind of hard to take Trump seriously given all the shit he had manufactured in China (including the steel in Trump tower) and all the foreign workers he hires at Mar A Lago (jobs that I'm sure US citizens are capable of doing)

It's not clear what subsidies Trump was referring to.

A person familiar with the matter told CNN Business that GM is unaware of any significant federal subsidies the company is receiving beyond a $7,500 plug-in tax credit, which goes to the consumer, not the company.

The federal government provides that tax credit for each plug-in vehicle purchased. However, this subsidy goes away once an auto maker reaches 200,000 electric cars sold. And GM may hit that threshold by the end of the year, making its 2019 and 2020 tax credits smaller.

"The entire industry qualifies for this. It's nothing exclusive to GM," said Jeremy Acevedo, manager of industry analysis at Edmunds.

Tesla (TSLA), the leading electric car maker, already hit the 200,000 milestone earlier this year. Its tax credit will start getting smaller on January 1.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/27/business/gm-trump-subsidies/index.html

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 07:02:03 PM »
His tweet was still a bit of a hissie fit but since that is a daily occurrence it's hard to notice sometimes

They (and all other corporations) already got a massive tax cut so I'm sure that will start resulting in hundreds of thousands new jobs any day now

Kind of hard to take Trump seriously given all the shit he had manufactured in China (including the steel in Trump tower) and all the foreign workers he hires at Mar A Lago (jobs that I'm sure US citizens are capable of doing)

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/27/business/gm-trump-subsidies/index.html

When ever I start reading your posts, I immediately look to see what link your sources are from....then ignore the post completely.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 08:13:11 PM »
When ever I start reading your posts, I immediately look to see what link your sources are from....then ignore the post completely.

so you don't believe that Trump hires foreign workers at Mar A Lago or used Chinese steel in his buildings

I guess that's just like Trumptard saying he doesn't believe the findings of the climate report issued by his own government

Would you like a link to Breitbart or Fox News or will you just choose not to believe them either?

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 08:48:03 PM »
so you don't believe that Trump hires foreign workers at Mar A Lago or used Chinese steel in his buildings

I guess that's just like Trumptard saying he doesn't believe the findings of the climate report issued by his own government

Would you like a link to Breitbart or Fox News or will you just choose not to believe them either?

I suppose everything you own is built 100% in America by Americans?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 09:17:40 PM »

Of course not, she hates America

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 09:26:24 PM »
Straws points are valid... But you can cry all you want to

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 04:37:08 AM »
I know, he may as well post to libtard.com and liberaldipshit.org.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 06:11:00 AM »
I own nothing GM, but stock is down -2.55% 36.69. It has to rebound sometime

If you invest in a US total stock market index fund or in an S&P 500 index fund, then you do own some GM stock like it or not, and that's perfectly fine.  If you don't already invest in a US total stock market index fund or in an S&P 500 index fund, you should.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 07:23:49 AM »
GM is doing the same thing Ford did...going to all SUVs and trucks.

The all electric is coming too.  Will be the mass market car Tesla hoped to make.

The Volt was good car but didn't sell.  I've only seen a couple on the road.

James

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 07:45:44 AM »

Trump administration tells GM to return the 11.2 BILLION Bailout money if they move jobs to China!

President Trump made his frustration with GM abundantly clear on Tuesday when he threatened to cut all EV subsidies to the Detroit carmaker. But on Wednesday both the president, this time joined by Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, took the administration's attacks on GM to their next logical endpoint: Demanding that the federal bailout recipient return the $11.2 billion loss eaten by taxpayers from the federal bailout that the company received during the depths of the financial crisis.

"If GM doesn't want to keep their jobs in the United States, they should pay back the $11.2 billion bailout that was funded by the American taxpayer," read a tweet from a Trump fan account that the president and Mnuchin retweeted. Trump also retweeted two tweets about illegal immigration.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-11-28/trump-mnuchin-call-gm-pay-back-federal-bailout

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 08:14:57 AM »
The UAW is playing coy here, getting their dues all the way down. The average auto worker makes like $67 an hour and 75% will be replaced by robots in these newer factories.

GM is no different than the "too big to fail" banks that got their bailout and did what they wanted with the $$$....but nobody dare challenge the banks because frankly they own the world.

I have noted before what a shitshow is coming for the middle and lower class as tech streamlines and centralizes everything. We are about one or two major technological steps from having no need for 2/3 of the population.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2018, 08:52:03 AM »
If you invest in a US total stock market index fund or in an S&P 500 index fund, then you do own some GM stock like it or not, and that's perfectly fine.  If you don't already invest in a US total stock market index fund or in an S&P 500 index fund, you should.

I was talking about buying as an individual stock. I don’t have anything in the S&P but I have do have a managed brokerage account, I’m sure I have some GM there but have to look

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2018, 10:56:32 AM »
The UAW is playing coy here, getting their dues all the way down. The average auto worker makes like $67 an hour and 75% will be replaced by robots in these newer factories.

GM is no different than the "too big to fail" banks that got their bailout and did what they wanted with the $$$....but nobody dare challenge the banks because frankly they own the world.

I have noted before what a shitshow is coming for the middle and lower class as tech streamlines and centralizes everything. We are about one or two major technological steps from having no need for 2/3 of the population.
Yeah, pretty soon somebody in government better figure out what to do with millions out of jobs because of automation.  How long before we see a guaranteed income or reverse income tax proposed?  Either that or cutting the work week significantly to 10 or 20 hours per week.  Very interesting next decade coming up.  Most people simply don't know what to do with that much free time.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2018, 11:11:36 AM »
A thirty hour full time work week to start with is in order...

Should it be a 6 hour work day or four day work week of 8 hour days?

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2018, 11:27:44 AM »

Six hour would be better but a four day work week would be nice.  What is it in France, 32 hours and 28 hour work week in Germany?  I've been working for myself for the last 8 years so it really doesn't effect me.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2018, 02:03:38 PM »

Most cubicle workers actually work a couple hours a day as is. Doesn't matter how many hours when the job completely vaporizes.

People would stare at their phones all day if there was minimum basic income. Completely useless in a single generation.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2018, 02:29:27 PM »

Good idea. The truth hurts. Better to ignore it.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2018, 02:43:50 PM »
Good idea. The truth hurts. Better to ignore it.

Considering he’s never right, it is best to ignore it.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2018, 03:22:42 PM »

I doubt it but then I'm not the idiot POTUS's who is scolding/threatening businesses for doing the exact same thing he has done in the past and CONTINUES to do to this day

That's the difference

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2018, 03:28:30 PM »
Trump administration tells GM to return the 11.2 BILLION Bailout money if they move jobs to China!

President Trump made his frustration with GM abundantly clear on Tuesday when he threatened to cut all EV subsidies to the Detroit carmaker. But on Wednesday both the president, this time joined by Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, took the administration's attacks on GM to their next logical endpoint: Demanding that the federal bailout recipient return the $11.2 billion loss eaten by taxpayers from the federal bailout that the company received during the depths of the financial crisis.

"If GM doesn't want to keep their jobs in the United States, they should pay back the $11.2 billion bailout that was funded by the American taxpayer," read a tweet from a Trump fan account that the president and Mnuchin retweeted. Trump also retweeted two tweets about illegal immigration.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-11-28/trump-mnuchin-call-gm-pay-back-federal-bailout

Looks like Trumptard figured out that GM doesn't currently receive any subsidies

Good luck getting anywhere with this idiotic gambit

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2018, 03:36:46 PM »

Most cubicle workers actually work a couple hours a day as is. Doesn't matter how many hours when the job completely vaporizes.

People would stare at their phones all day if there was minimum basic income. Completely useless in a single generation.
There will be even more drunks, junkies and criminals than there already are.