Author Topic: Study - Diet Sodas are of no benefit to dieters - I call bullshit  (Read 35266 times)

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
Studies: Why Diet Sodas Are No Benefit to Dieters
By Meredith Melnick

http://healthland.time.com/2011/06/29/studies-why-diet-sodas-are-no-boon-to-dieters/?hpt=he_c2

More bad news, diet soda drinkers: data presented recently at the American Diabetes Association's (ADA) Scientific Sessions suggest that diet drinks may actually contribute to weight gain and that the artificial sweeteners in them could potentially contribute Type 2 diabetes.

In one study, researchers from the School of Medicine at The University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, looked at aggregate data from 474 older adults in the San Antonio Longitudinal Study of Aging, or SALSA. At the time of enrollment and at three follow-up exams thereafter, all participants reported their diet soda intake and were measured for height, weight and waist circumference. The researchers wanted to track any association between diet soda drinking and body fat over time.

What they found was that all participants saw their waistlines expand, but those who reported drinking diet soda had 70% greater increases in waistline growth than non-drinkers 9.5 years later. Among frequent drinkers — those who consumed two or more diet sodas a day — waistline growth was 500% greater than among non-drinkers. Researchers said their results were adjusted for other contributing factors like diabetes status, leisure-time physical activity level and age.

MORE: Study: How 'Fake' Fats Can Make You Really Fat

The data didn't say why diet sodas might play a role in weight gain, but previous research suggests it has to do with the disconnect between the taste of artificial sugars and their lack of calories. The brain is wired to expect a big load of calories when foods taste sweet or fatty. But because diet foods fail to deliver, it throws the brain out of whack. Studies in animals suggest that artificial sweetener consumption may lead to even more eating and weight gain, perhaps in part because it triggers the body to start storing more calories as fat.

Excess weight, especially around the belly, as measured in the SALSA participants, is a risk factor for a variety of ills, including cardiovascular disease and diabetes.

In another study presented at the ADA meeting, researchers found an association between consumption of aspartame, an artificial sweetener found in many diet drinks, and elevated fasting glucose levels in mice.

The researchers, also from the School of Medicine at The University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, fed 40 mice their typical chow with added corn oil (to make the diet high-fat). For the half the mice, researchers also added aspartame to their food. After three months, researchers found that the mice in the aspartame group had elevated fasting glucose levels, an indication of a diabetic or pre-diabetic condition.

LIST: 5 Highlights From the 'Toxic Sugar' Video

Of course, the findings aren't directly translatable to humans, but the researchers think they're still meaningful. "These results suggest that heavy aspartame exposure might potentially directly contribute to increased blood glucose levels, and thus contribute to the associations observed between diet soda consumption and the risk of diabetes in humans," said Dr. Gabriel Fernandes, a University of Texas professor of rheumatology and clinical immunology, in a statement.

Maybe it's time to switch to water.

Whenever I get into serious dieting, I always switch to diet soda (the likes of Coke Zero or Diet Dr. Pepper) and it substitutes my regular sodas just fine.  As a matter of fact, they have a filling effect on me and can keep me from consuming other crap filled with calories.

Discuss..
"1"

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
Sodas are all horse shit period

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I bet the original study used  fat ass blowhards that felt justifed to supersize anad add the 2 apple pie special when ordering a diet drink for lunch.

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
diet soda's are worse for you all the way around.

my best friends daughter interned for a major medical research institute while in medical school. she worked in a department speciallizing in the research between regular soda and diet soda ingrediants. Long story short: regular soda is better for you than diet soda. And nobody should drink any kind of soda.
sept 10th APF

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
There are also studies that show diet sodas (too many) can make you fat(er).

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
either way..... Its Black GOLD

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
i always love how fat people take a big menu at some fast food restaurant BUT a diet coke ;D they have to think of weight loss too

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
i always love how fat people take a big menu at some fast food restaurant BUT a diet coke ;D they have to think of weight loss too
Fuck I do that too sometimes.... :-\ :-\

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
My waistline fluctuates between 30 and 34 inches, and I don't have any chronic diseases such as diabetes.  According to this study, my waistline should be 60 inches by now and I should be a dying diabetic.  

For years I've been consuming products with artificial sweeteners(protein powder, diet fruit juice, diet cocoa powder, crystal light, diet coke, coffee with Splenda, etc.)  I even consumed these during contest prep and never had any problems getting lean.

w8m8

I have never understood the fascination/addiction some people have with soda .. my folks treated it as useless harmful garbage and I guess I adopted that train of thought  :-\

The phosphate levels are high in colas and they have near nil calcium .. add a higher protein diet and it risks osteoporosis .. I'd rather have a cold tea than know my bones are slowly dissolving

apply85

• Getbig IV
Like soda is so important you have to be drinking it even when you're dieting, lol

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
If you take a few glasses of diet soda instead of regular soda, what's the problem ???

JP_RC

• Getbig IV
My waistline fluctuates between 30 and 34 inches, and I don't have any chronic deceases such as diabetes.  According to this study, my waistline should be 60 inches by now and I should be a dying diabetic.  

For years I've been consuming products with artificial sweeteners(protein powder, diet fruit juice, diet cocoa powder, crystal light, diet coke, coffee with Splenda, etc.)  I even consumed these during contest prep and never had any problems getting lean.

They're messing up your brain though.   :-X

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox

Well....yeah.    :)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.

False.

dustin

People need to remember that the fatty mc fat-fats in these studies are already morbidly obese with devolutioned bodies. Their piece of shit bodies are good for nothing.

If you're normal and drink diet soda, nothing ill will come of it. IIRC, these coveted "studies" are showing that a crash diet for a week will probably eliminate or at least markedly improve the condition of fatties with type II diabetes. Just like I always said..... fuck... you abuse your body and it's going to work for shit. Treat it well or at least understand how it works and you'll be fine. I can eat whatever I want and stay lean and in shape. As long as you're not a fucking retard, anyone could do this (and I'm close to fucking retarded!!) :P

Meso_z

• Getbig V
I would love to see how those people who make those studies look like and "if" they have ever dieted a single day in their whole life.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
I say it's nonsense.

If you have the discipline to not stray away from your diet, diet soda can be a great treat.

"1"

Nirvana

• Getbig V
I don't know about any health issues with diet drink but I do know they taste like shit.

that's reason enough not to drink them.

JP_RC

• Getbig IV
False.

I was joking because he misspelled the word disease. It obviously does nothing bad to ones health.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
I say it's nonsense.

If you have the discipline to not stray away from your diet, diet soda can be a great treat.

"1"
Treat?  I`d rather drink Pepsi Max than water as the water contained therein is triple filtered and incredibly pure.  In fact, I drink around 8-12 a day and water only sometimes.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
Soda's great - ask Butterbean

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
I was joking because he misspelled the word disease. It obviously does nothing bad to ones health.

Brilliant ::)

JP_RC

• Getbig IV
Brilliant ::)

Oh damn, "the coach" didn't think it was funny, what am I going to do?

::) ::) ::)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
JP_RC. Sorry, I meant to post that in reply to TA's dumbass post. My apologies