Author Topic: "I never use machines in the gym." quote from 90% of Getbiggers  (Read 6709 times)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
"I never use machines in the gym." quote from 90% of Getbiggers
« on: December 31, 2008, 12:16:00 PM »
 ::) 

I use free weights and machines everytime I'm in the gym.  All this "our grandfather's generation never used a machine...this is when workouts were hardcore."   AHAHAAHAHAH!!!  Absolute horseshit.   Put any of the hardcores from the grandfather generation (when they were our age) in a gym with Hammer Strength equipment and every other machine we use today and they'd be all over it. 

SS

• Getbig V
  • The new and improved SS.
Re: "I never use machines in the gym." quote from 90% of Getbiggers
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 12:17:38 PM »
Some one piss in your lucky charms manofshortshorts?

Alex23

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 12:20:52 PM »

;D

"free" weights = overrated and a waste of time.

Preacher curl best example. Bar & plates = waste of time, stack machine = better. 

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 12:23:57 PM »

:D

SS

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 12:28:28 PM »
These old worn joints scream machines when i happen to walk in a gym ;D

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 01:13:20 PM »
Exactly.

I am pretty muscular and people always ask me about working out. Guys who look like they barely work out will  tell me that they just can't get results with machines. It's the same shit- moving heavy weights. There is no way you are not gonna get stronger or bigger if you do it consistently.

There is value in free weights, though. When I first started lifting, I focused on safety and stuck solely to machines. My strength increased, but I was surprised at the disparity between what I could lift on machines vs. free weights. I had trouble balancing  moderate weight on  bps even though I did pretty decent numbers on the smith and stack. However, I feel that machine work helps me break through barriers a lot more effectively.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 01:14:11 PM »
weight is weight bros
mass 04 approved
no emails/pms

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 01:15:58 PM »
weight is weight bros
mass 04 approved
no emails/pms

Can I PM you about this?

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 01:16:17 PM »
Exactly.

I am pretty muscular and people always ask me about working out. Guys who look like they barely work out will  tell me that they just can't get results with machines. It's the same shit- moving heavy weights. There is no way you are not gonna get stronger or bigger if you do it consistently.

There is value in free weights, though. When I first started lifting, I focused on safety and stuck solely to machines. My strength increased, but I was surprised at the disparity between what I could lift on machines vs. free weights. I had trouble balancing  moderate weight on  bps even though I did pretty decent numbers on the smith and stack. However, I feel that machine work helps me break through barriers a lot more effectively.
you sound like a monster, any pics posted?

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 01:17:06 PM »
Most people who post on here say that they use machines as part of their workouts

Schmoe Buster

• Getbig V
  • Unnatural Bodybuilder
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 01:18:47 PM »
its all good ;D

love hammer machines ;D
Thunderdome approved

SS

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 01:19:35 PM »
Exactly.

Night and day when it comes to getting bigger and stronger, when it comes to machines v's free weights.

liquid_c

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 01:20:10 PM »

;D

"free" weights = overrated and a waste of time.

Preacher curl best example. Bar & plates = waste of time, stack machine = better. 

Epic truth for many exercises.  Free weight definatley have their place still, however why not at least partially take advanatge of modern technology.  I can see it now, some 160lb college student with his sleveless shirt cut down all the way to the waist on the side with his 100g protein/creatine/waxymaze shake with him saying "bro, free weights are the only way your gonna put on size :)"

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 01:20:37 PM »
its all good ;D

love hammer machines ;D

I get a better pump in my chest after a heavy set on the Hammer Machine, it just isolates better.

Years of ego lifting with the bench left me with modest gains, and alot of sore joints.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 01:21:45 PM »
Epic truth for many exercises.  Free weight definatley have their place still, however why not at least partially take advanatge of modern technology.  I can see it now, some 160lb college student with his sleveless shirt cut down all the way to the waist on the side with his 100g protein/creatine/waxymaze shake with him saying "bro, free weights are the only way your gonna put on size :)"

Yeah and a tap out warrior right next to him!

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH BROOOOOOOOOOOTHER!!!

cross-of-iron

• Getbig IV
  • TRIBALISMO BLANCO
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 01:25:19 PM »
Fuck hammer strength equipment. Every time I'm in the gym I see the same douche bags putting 3-4 plates a side on meanwhile
they can barely bench 185. BTW, their seated row sucks as well. I don't wanna hear shit about Dorian using it either. He built his
back off heavy rows and deadlifts. If you're trying to "isolate" your chest it doesn't make any sense doing a pressing movement
that involves the triceps and delts.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 01:25:55 PM »
Fuck hammer strength equipment. Every time I'm in the gym I see the same douche bags putting 3-4 plates a side on meanwhile
they can barely bench 185.

cross-of-iron

• Getbig IV
  • TRIBALISMO BLANCO
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »
You can roll your eyes all you want. It's not gonna change what I've seen over the last 10 years in every gym I've been in.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 01:32:37 PM »
You can roll your eyes all you want. It's not gonna change what I've seen over the last 10 years in every gym I've been in.

I am just calling bullshit on your statement, if you can lift 4 plates on the Hammer Strength, you can damn sure bench 185 with the uptmost ease. I'm not going to use all the cliche, lame, overused, getbig phrases, but you are wrong on this one.

Alex23

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 01:33:41 PM »

Settle down "cock-of-anus", it's not that serious... 4 plates.... I frequently do that and bench twice the amount you mentioned for reps...

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 01:34:08 PM »
i'd say 4 plates per side on the Hammer Strength bench press is equal to about 275-285 on a barbell flat bench.

SS

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2008, 01:34:24 PM »

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2008, 01:35:18 PM »
i'd say 4 plates per side on the Hammer Strength bench press is equal to about 275-285 on a barbell flat bench.

Agreed. 275 to a tad over 300.

liquid_c

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2008, 01:35:46 PM »

I don't anyone here is saying that hammer strength machines plate per plate are as difficult as free weights are.  However they are effective if used correctly.  

cross-of-iron

• Getbig IV
  • TRIBALISMO BLANCO
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2008, 01:36:14 PM »

you're nuts... I've got a couple friends who can do 4 plates and can barely press 225. I don't hate machines
there's some good equipment out there unfortunately it ain't in my gym.