Author Topic: A view on why and how certain pro bodybuilders "deteriorate" younger...  (Read 7557 times)

bb.comscribe

• Getbig II
  • Photo taken in 2006 - 5 percent body fat
A few guys were discussing on my last thread why guys like Nasser and King lose the edge at a younger age compared to some of their peers. I asked Nasser for his view.

D

Here it is....Nassers answer:

Iranian born King Kamali moved at a young age to Western Europe and from there to the East Coast, USA. He won the Nationals Heavyweight division in October 1999 and turned pro. However Kamali did not win the Overall NPC title. Aaron Madron did. But again, in contrast to Aaron, Kamali showed more longevity and is still competing (as of the year 2008) and he has also competed in several Olympia contests. Personally I think that Kamali is a good bodybuilder but he became less so over the last couple of years. I also think this will continue into the future. He reached his peak some years ago. I can see this tendency in many bodybuilders.

At the beginning of the Amateur phase, everyone improves. Then with greater workouts, more muscle maturity, more discipline and more ambition, there is another phase of improvement, which is often rewarded with a pro card. From that point on, however, some people reach their potential like, for example, "drug free" Hawaiian Chris Faildo, welterweight and overall winner of the 2007 Team Universe, for whom it would have been a catastrophic mistake to enter the pro ranks, because there he would be, simply speaking, a nobody. The same also counts also for "drug free" Skip LaCour, overall Team Universe winner for 2002.

After their bodies peak, many guys begin stagnating physically, then they begin going slowly but surely, and sometimes faster, downhill. The descent is unstoppable.

I can name so many high caliber people it happened to: Arnold Schwarzenegger (former Mr. O and undeserved 1980 Mr. O winner), Samir Bannout (former Mr. O), or former Mr. O runner-up Ricardo Gaspari, known as the " Dragon killer ", or Dorian Yates’ descent in his last three out of six Mr. O wins. And the same happened to Ronnie Coleman in his last two Mr. O competitions (in 2006 and 2007). And now I see the exact same descending tendency in the reigning Mr. O, Jay Cutler, who seems to be increasingly coming in at less than his best shape. And this tendency was also reflected by my own physique in my last couple of shows.

The reason for the physical descent of former good or great physiques can have one specific reason or can be the result of a syndrome, if you will a combination of the following points:

1. The body is no longer responsive to anabolic steroids – the response has declined due to long-term (many years of) use. One of the very first prime examples from my personal observation would be Ricardo Gaspari).

2. The bodybuilder has simply had enough of the injustices committed by the judging panel, due to whatever reason.

3. The bodybuilder developed a dependency on recreational drugs which:
a. Made him mentally, psychologically and physically weaker in the long run, or
b. The recreational drugs caused multiple tears (as I do assume happened to characters like Dorian Yates).

4. The regular ageing process, which can make the bodybuilder lazier and also physically weaker.

5. The bodybuilder is mentally and psychologically burnt out from training, dieting, and competing, which can cause
a. A general lack of motivation and ambition due to injustices committed by the judging panel
b. External injury or injuries because of the "wear and tear" over many years.
c. A lack of caution while handling (heavy) weights, which can also cause muscle tears.

6. The body builder has experienced private turmoil, such as:
a. A split or divorce from his or her partner, and with this less support is available in many aspects.
b. Incarceration.
c. Dysfunctional lifestyle due to dysfunctional relationships.
d. An accident.

7. The bodybuilder has less money available for food, anabolic steroids and not enough money just for daily life due to:
a. Cancellation of his or her contract.
b. An expanding family (kids or additional kids).
8. The more genetically gifted bodybuilders have hit the pro ranks and the former great bodybuilder has now lost the edge.

9. Other priorities take over, such as:
a. Additional or better business adventures/opportunities.
b. Family / family issues
c. Different influences for different people – e.g.: sects/cults/religion.

10. Illness can be a huge factor as well:
a. The body becomes insulin resistant due to years of drug abuse or otherwise.
b. Cancer, leukaemia, kidney dysfunction and many other illnesses, diseases and conditions like:
- Alcoholism.
- Cardiovascular problems.
- Nerve damage.

I leave it up to the reader to form his or her own thesis regarding what happened to who and why.
In (Shahriar) Kamali’s case, however, I would say that his placements over the last couple of years were worse than before because of his body was “maxed-out" (point 1.)
Also point 10. a seems to be a factor from my point of view.

Kamali’s smack talk towards guys like the Chihuahua, Craig Titus and many others gave and are giving him just more fuel to stay in pro bodybuilding. Also it is quite entertaining to hear him talking. And I do not mean this in an ironic way at all.
I do think that ecstasy-loving party-animal King is also a hard training person and an intelligent man with a great sense of humour.

NotMrAverage

• Getbig IV
  • SCHPORT
Nasser has a epic sense of giving praise disguised as smacktalk. I would like to hear his comments on himself, he had one of the worst downfalls ever - even worse than Kings. King kinda always sucked.
MIRAGETROPIN

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
I do think that ecstasy-loving party-animal King is also a hard training person and an intelligent man with a great sense of humour.
Nice props  :D

io856

Does the great Van Bilderass have anything to add to this interesting topic?

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
Re: A view on why and how certain pro bodybuilders "deteriorate" younger...
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 11:45:10 AM »
Bump for an informative post.

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 11:46:32 AM »
Nasser has a epic sense of giving praise disguised as smacktalk. I would like to hear his comments on himself, he had one of the worst downfalls ever - even worse than Kings. King kinda always sucked.

Much agreed ! That's the " Wizard of delusion " for ya.  :-\

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
Seems like he covered all the bases.

D_1000

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 12:07:49 PM »

Indeed.

CAPTAIN INSANO

• Getbig IV

bigbobs

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 12:53:42 PM »
hahahah

wtf is that ??? ???

that was after a near-death experience in which he still  went onstage to keep his commitment unlike Flex Wheeler who lied that he got attacked my ninjas in 97  ::)  People post that pic because they fear pics of Nasser like this :)

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 01:16:31 PM »
Man he's a bitter old fuck

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 01:18:10 PM »
Indeed.

A turd soaked in posing oil and protan.
from incomplete data

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 01:40:04 PM »
spot on by Nassar once again...

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
  • Manny Pacquiao KO Floyd 1
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 02:00:15 PM »
i like nasser, hes a funny intelligent man.
Its a shame hes somewhat of an outcast in the bodybuilding community

bigbobs

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 02:03:04 PM »
i like nasser, hes a funny intelligent man.
Its a shame hes somewhat of an outcast in the bodybuilding community

It's not a shame at all, he laughs at the bodybuilding "community"

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 03:57:18 PM »
Indeed.

He looks like a chicken nugget there.

the_swami

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 04:03:54 PM »
It's not a shame at all, he laughs at the bodybuilding "community"

yes the entire BB "community" so to speak,  is based on "so what drug(s) can you get me?"

that is why , as Nasser truthfully and astutely pointed out in his BB.com interviews, there are no true friendships amongst BB's

the_swami

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 04:39:12 PM »
A few guys were discussing on my last thread why guys like Nasser and King lose the edge at a younger age compared to some of their peers. I asked Nasser for his view.

D

Iranian born King Kamali moved at a young age to Western Europe and from there to the East Coast, USA. He won the Nationals Heavyweight division in October 1999 and turned pro. However Kamali did not win the Overall NPC title. Aaron Madron did. But again, in contrast to Aaron, Kamali showed more longevity and is still competing (as of the year 2008) and he has also competed in several Olympia contests. Personally I think that Kamali is a good bodybuilder but he became less so over the last couple of years. I also think this will continue into the future. He reached his peak some years ago. I can see this tendency in many bodybuilders.

At the beginning of the Amateur phase, everyone improves. Then with greater workouts, more muscle maturity, more discipline and more ambition, there is another phase of improvement, which is often rewarded with a pro card. From that point on, however, some people reach their potential like, for example, "drug free" Hawaiian Chris Faildo, welterweight and overall winner of the 2007 Team Universe, for whom it would have been a catastrophic mistake to enter the pro ranks, because there he would be, simply speaking, a nobody. The same also counts also for "drug free" Skip LaCour, overall Team Universe winner for 2002.

After their bodies peak, many guys begin stagnating physically, then they begin going slowly but surely, and sometimes faster, downhill. The descent is unstoppable.

I can name so many high caliber people it happened to: Arnold Schwarzenegger (former Mr. O and undeserved 1980 Mr. O winner), Samir Bannout (former Mr. O), or former Mr. O runner-up Ricardo Gaspari, known as the " Dragon killer ", or Dorian Yates’ descent in his last three out of six Mr. O wins. And the same happened to Ronnie Coleman in his last two Mr. O competitions (in 2006 and 2007). And now I see the exact same descending tendency in the reigning Mr. O, Jay Cutler, who seems to be increasingly coming in at less than his best shape. And this tendency was also reflected by my own physique in my last couple of shows.

The reason for the physical descent of former good or great physiques can have one specific reason or can be the result of a syndrome, if you will a combination of the following points:

1. The body is no longer responsive to anabolic steroids – the response has declined due to long-term (many years of) use. One of the very first prime examples from my personal observation would be Ricardo Gaspari).

2. The bodybuilder has simply had enough of the injustices committed by the judging panel, due to whatever reason.

b. The recreational drugs caused multiple tears (as I do assume happened to characters like Dorian Yates).

4. The regular ageing process, which can make the bodybuilder lazier and also physically weaker.

5. The bodybuilder is mentally and psychologically burnt out from training, dieting, and competing, which can cause
a. A general lack of motivation and ambition due to injustices committed by the judging panel
b. External injury or injuries because of the "wear and tear" over many years.
c. A lack of caution while handling (heavy) weights, which can also cause muscle tears.

6. The body builder has experienced private turmoil, such as:
a. A split or divorce from his or her partner, and with this less support is available in many aspects.
b. Incarceration.
c. Dysfunctional lifestyle due to dysfunctional relationships.
d. An accident.

7. The bodybuilder has less money available for food, anabolic steroids and not enough money just for daily life due to:
a. Cancellation of his or her contract.
b. An expanding family (kids or additional kids).
8. The more genetically gifted bodybuilders have hit the pro ranks and the former great bodybuilder has now lost the edge.

9. Other priorities take over, such as:
a. Additional or better business adventures/opportunities.
b. Family / family issues
c. Different influences for different people – e.g.: sects/cults/religion.

10. Illness can be a huge factor as well:
a. The body becomes insulin resistant due to years of drug abuse or otherwise.
b. Cancer, leukaemia, kidney dysfunction and many other illnesses, diseases and conditions like:
- Alcoholism.
- Cardiovascular problems.
- Nerve damage.

I leave it up to the reader to form his or her own thesis regarding what happened to who and why.
In (Shahriar) Kamali’s case, however, I would say that his placements over the last couple of years were worse than before because of his body was “maxed-out" (point 1.)
Also point 10. a seems to be a factor from my point of view.

Kamali’s smack talk towards guys like the Chihuahua, Craig Titus and many others gave and are giving him just more fuel to stay in pro bodybuilding. Also it is quite entertaining to hear him talking. And I do not mean this in an ironic way at all.

Nasser is a guru. his analytical powers and intelligence once again coming to the fore.

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 07:54:48 PM »
This has to rank up there among the best most muscular shots ever. Incredibly dense.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 08:04:26 PM »
Other than his small band of nut-huggers, nobody cares about Nasser.  ::)
Ron: "I am lazy."

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 08:33:42 PM »
cool words from nasser

we should get him to post here...

under his real name !  ;D

nicky.smth

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Hugo Chavez looks like hugo chavez
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2009, 08:40:52 PM »

He looks like a chicken nugget there.

Greg Kovacs looks like complete shit there.. ;D

Rome

• Getbig IV
  • Pics or GTFO!
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2009, 05:17:38 AM »
Most guys who peak and burn out early do so because their physique was built on heavier drug use. People who have better genetics for bodybuilding don't have to rely on super heavy drug use. They stay around longer and look better long after they are done competing. Lee Haney is a prime example.
The flash in the pans usually stop  responding drugs and quickly go back to the 160lb' ers that nature intended them to be.

chester_bbb

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • #1 Shawn Ray fan!
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2009, 01:35:23 PM »

D

Yates did rec drugs?

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2009, 01:39:09 PM »
Yates did rec drugs?

There is absolutely no evidence of this - he may have done them after he retired once he'd finished competing and decided to go out to Amsterdam and the Far East to have a little fun but as for taking anything recreational whilst a pro, I seriously doubt it. His muscle tears were caused by heavy training, and that was it.