Author Topic: The Hack Squat machine - Dangerous exercise.  (Read 27337 times)

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
Re: The Hack Squat machine - Dangerous exercise.
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2011, 11:15:20 PM »
I've worked up to 5 or 6 plates for a good 8-10 reps on the hack.... Didn't really see any improvement on the quads...

Zack khan blew both knees on the hack... I think I saw video of him rehabbing the knees back onthe hack squat machine

hangclean

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2011, 12:03:43 AM »
I hate the fact that most hack squat machines put your head in a forward position.

This.  I have injured my neck with these because of the angle of the head pad.  Also, the platform where you put your feet is always too small (not long enough).  for the excercise to be okay for my knees, my toes are hanging off the end of the platform.  I like doing them for high rep sets with my feet close together sometimes.  I never do these heavy anymore.

Steve Namat

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • IFBB PRO www.stevenamat.com
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2011, 01:16:13 AM »
I used Hack machine only for a few times in my life...and I don't like it...  ;)

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2011, 07:34:13 AM »
Try them the tom platz style.

JP_RC

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2011, 07:53:36 AM »
Don't like hack squats, never use them. Free weight squats, lunges and leg presses is all I do.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2011, 08:14:00 AM »
I used Hack machine only for a few times in my life...and I don't like it...  ;)

::)

lvtolft

• Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2011, 08:15:14 AM »

Looks like a modified sissy squat.  I'll have to try it.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2011, 08:16:11 AM »
always feel the knees when i do hacks

This...
Wrecks my knees
choice is an illusion

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2011, 09:27:36 AM »
That phony Coach quoted me as saying the Hack Squat was good for the knees. This is patently false and I don't recommend doing this exercise.

I built a Hack Machine for my gym because the fellows wanted one. I also made it a Calf Machine which has value. People do a lot of silly things

because they see it in a magazine. Well, don't do this exercise. Stick with Squats and Leg Presses.

In a good hack you have adjustable foot board, so you can change the stand and it will be better of your legs and knees. It is amazing how much difference that makes to your training. We have that option with the leg pressing machine also, it is quite good. For workout it is all about the personal dimensions and angles, so if you have adjustable machine, it will be good to anyone.

BiGHer

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2011, 09:37:22 AM »
WOW... watching Platz do those "sissy" type hack squats was rough... I was almost waiting for his knee caps to burst  :-X

supernick

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2011, 11:08:44 AM »
If your not zack kahn you prob be ok

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2011, 02:21:09 PM »
can you hack dis succckkkkaaaaa..... with apologies to booker T. old skool
F

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2011, 04:22:26 PM »

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2011, 04:33:28 PM »
Because your back is supported, your hamstrings have less involvement to balance the leg making for greater sheering forces on the kneecap.

With that being said, I still do a lot of Hacks and use a heavy weight. But I also make sure to not rely on them and still do full squats as well.

good post brotha

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2011, 04:49:49 PM »

I've done them like that love them, though again, I don't RELY on them. Maybe once every few months and if I were to compete I would do them more frequently.

Also, even though it's a seminar, I doubt The Golden Eagle goes much higher in weight than the empty machine he's using there. It's about quality, not quantity.

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2011, 04:52:53 PM »
I've done them like that love them, though again, I don't RELY on them. Maybe once every few months and if I were to compete I would do them more frequently.

Also, even though it's a seminar, I doubt The Golden Eagle goes much higher in weight than the empty machine he's using there. It's about quality, not quantity.

Absolutely, hack weight should be moderate and the squeeze in the hams and ass cheeks must be felt and savored.

Steve Namat

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2011, 05:01:37 PM »

That's a good exercise!

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2011, 05:12:57 PM »
That's a good exercise!

Clusterfuck of injuries.

Steve Namat

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2011, 09:04:51 PM »
Clusterfuck of injuries.
We did it in giant set style with light weight...

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2011, 09:41:52 PM »
Doesn't matter.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2011, 12:18:27 AM »
Because your back is supported, your hamstrings have less involvement to balance the leg making for greater sheering forces on the kneecap.

With that being said, I still do a lot of Hacks and use a heavy weight. But I also make sure to not rely on them and still do full squats as well.

Isn't this contingent of foot placing. If you place your feet further out toward the edge of the platform so that when you are in the full squat position (well below parallel, which I believe all leg pressing movements should be) your knees are right above or even a bit behind your feet. If your knees go over your feet then, and you can see it in the mirror from the side, it clear how your joints will be more stressed. I recently started doing hacks because something popped in my lower back from doing squats. I actually feel less stress on my knees than squats because at around 6'2" doing full squats puts a lot of strain on my lower back and knees.

I don't really like the traditional leg press. The one where you lie down at an angle and push the platform up. It's very difficult to get in a full squat type position where your ankles are on your butt. With the other type, where you sit upright like when driving a car, you can easily get that full range of motion. The traditional leg press seems to set up at an awkward angle where you can't get full range. It encourages people to pile of the plates and just do quarter movements.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2011, 12:29:44 AM »
All the Getbig experts have arrived now! Listen, Melvin, if you need to wrap a joint to train it you are doing something wrong. Do something else for a start.

That machine I made has stainless steel parts, special shafts and bearings and took a long time (over 120 hours!) to design then 6 months to build, plus it has been modified several times. It owes me at least

$30,000 and that doesn't include factory costs. I built it to see if I could make the best piece of gym equipment ever put in a gym. I think I succeeded. It doubles as a

Calf slide machine. That is why I increased the angle. We had a big bloke named Joe L who would load 700 pounds + on it for heel raises. On the low angle the shafts would bend

so I decided to make it steeper. Some guys don't like it now and said it was better before. Everyone is an expert in this game!

What about weight belts? I never wore one since, if you know me I'm all about Chi and deep breathing. But it seems like all the hard core muscle monsters do. Speaking of which, they also wrap their knees. Seemed like Coleman spent more time wrapping and unwrapping his knees than actually squatting. Not criticizing, just saying.

BTW, when I was a little tot, about 9 years old taking Aikido classes, the Jap instructor told me while trying to teach me how to breathe through my diaphragm that Americans where shallow breathers because they wear belts which puts pressure right below your belly button where the Chi is centered. Americans have under developed Chi which makes them less calm and centered and sometimes drives them to blow Japs up into a mushroom-like cloud of smithereens.

jedibrat

• Getbig III
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2011, 12:56:38 AM »
What about weight belts? I never wore one since, if you know me I'm all about Chi and deep breathing. But it seems like all the hard core muscle monsters do. Speaking of which, they also wrap their knees. Seemed like Coleman spent more time wrapping and unwrapping his knees than actually squatting. Not criticizing, just saying.

BTW, when I was a little tot, about 9 years old taking Aikido classes, the Jap instructor told me while trying to teach me how to breathe through my diaphragm that Americans where shallow breathers because they wear belts which puts pressure right below your belly button where the Chi is centered. Americans have under developed Chi which makes them less calm and centered and sometimes drives them to blow Japs up into a mushroom-like cloud of smithereens.

*tightens belt*

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2011, 05:20:07 PM »

What's your favorite quad exercise?

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2013, 12:00:51 PM »
i gave the hack squat machine a sincere try today, i only put 80kg on it for quality reps of 10-15 per set x 5sets

i have to admit this is the best quad workout of my life

seems like the best quad exercise ever, really full range of motion and didnt feel any stress on the back

what's so "dangerous" about it then?