Author Topic: The Getbig experiment. Training photo at 69.  (Read 163762 times)

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
Re: The Getbig experiment. Training photo at 69.
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2011, 02:55:26 PM »
So you think it would be better for him not to even try? Not to even train anymore so we can continue to give him shit for that because you can already see the outcome.  

I think it would be better for him to actually post some baseline pics, stats, measurements, etc. and explanation of what he's actually doing training and diet-wise.  All we are going off of here is an arm shot after he's already been working out for a month.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2011, 03:03:54 PM »
I think it would be better for him to actually post some baseline pics, stats, measurements, etc. and explanation of what he's actually doing training and diet-wise.  All we are going off of here is an arm shot after he's already been working out for a month.

Yes, it would be better for him to do that. It would be better for him to do a lot of things. It can always be better. But in his case I'm just looking at going from nothing to something. And it has not been a month. I think two weeks at the most.

In the end there will be a before and after. Or he will quit. Either way the matter will be put to rest.

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2011, 03:09:01 PM »
I don`t expect anyone to believe anything they don`t want to.

good.

then you won't be disappointed.
b

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2011, 03:30:23 PM »
good.

then you won't be disappointed.
I would remain indifferent either way.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2011, 03:32:29 PM »
Vince Basile,

How about competing in the Mr. Getbig?

Me, you, Jason Genova, Johnny Falcon etc...

I think it would be a great show.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2011, 03:41:55 PM »
The Olympia is over so time for some fun. People have asked who I have trained? Only myself. That is sufficient to demonstrate a principle. The typical bodybuilder cannot accept, comprehend, or acknowledge that something new might be possible in hypertrophy training. You literally have to rethink the notions of recovery and soreness and how they affect maximum growth of muscles. If you refuse to allow new concepts then of course you will scoff at the attempt to build large muscles at an advanced age. It is possible and I will demonstrate this to the Flotsam.

You've been on my case for years about how I train clients and now you admit that you've not trained anyone except yourself??..... ::)

Don't know what's more surprising...you picking the judges for your Mr Canada win, being a hypocrite regarding steroids when you popped dianabol like tic tacs, or this.....
A

the trainer

« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2011, 03:49:55 PM »
If you remember, I was able to work with NASA, offer input and test prior to its development and No, you cannot have one.

http://dvice.com/archives/2010/11/elastic-gravity.php

Elastic gravity suits keep astronauts strong and sexy

Spending extended time in space can also be dangerous. Besides the inevitable meteor showers and hostile aliens, astronauts also have to contend with things that are harder to defend against, like slowly losing bone mass. A new elastic jumpsuit may be able to help astronauts stay healthy, and keep them looking like superheroes while doing it.

Here on Earth, our bodies are constantly fighting against gravity to keep us upright. This takes a lot of work, as you may have noticed. In space, where gravity isn't a factor, your body doesn't have to work nearly as hard, and it gets lazy. Over time, astronauts lose both muscle tone and bone mass, which can cause problems when they come back home. To help solve this problem (or at least, mitigate it), MIT's Man-Vehicle Laboratory has developed the Gravity Loading Countermeasure Skinsuit, which is actually able to simulate the pull of gravity in weightless environments.

The concept behind the suit is simple: it's too small. The suit itself is made of an elastic material, with foot stirrups. It stretches to fit, but as it does so, the material exerts a force that pulls your shoulders down towards your feet. As far as your bones and muscles can tell, it's a sort of artificial gravity, and it should help to reduce the 2% bone mass that astronauts lose for each month they spend in orbit. This will be especially important for long stays aboard the ISS, and of course for trips to Mars and beyond.

The suit has been tested here on Earth and is apparently quite comfortable and doesn't restrict movement, meaning that it can be worn while working, relaxing or exercising. And let's be honest: sooner or later, astronauts are all going to have to start wearing matching jumpsuits anyway, because that's how we'll know it's the future.

wow you are an amazing getbigger I bet you also build nasa spaceships and you have already being to the moon, could you please update me when you land on mars.

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2011, 03:55:25 PM »
Increasing size one bodypart at a time. You liked my idea. Good luck Vince.
T

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2011, 04:08:21 PM »
I am reading comments that indicate the typical beliefs held like a religion by the Flotsam. I have been slack over the years and so I didn't train much. The relative idleness is what allowed me to discover that I didn't need to train all upper body parts. Doing just the arms was sufficient for the whole upper body to grow. That surprised me. Few people know this. Now, not any old training will do but consistent DOMS hypertrophy training will. Believe it or not.

I have 53 years doing bodybuilding. I have a masters degree from Sydney University where I studied the Philosophy of Science. This experiment is simply putting my conjectures into practice. I am making bold claims. To me these claims are obvious because I have demonstrated my hypotheses on my own body. I know I can grow larger muscles and do so rapidly. I will boldly go where no man has ventured before. I will demonstrate the closest we can get chemical free to a Fountain of Youth.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2011, 04:10:52 PM »
I have been slack over the years and so I didn't train much.
I have 53 years doing bodybuilding.

???

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2011, 04:12:19 PM »
I am reading comments that indicate the typical beliefs held like a religion by the Flotsam. I have been slack over the years and so I didn't train much. The relative idleness is what allowed me to discover that I didn't need to train all upper body parts. Doing just the arms was sufficient for the whole upper body to grow. That surprised me. Few people know this. Now, not any old training will do but consistent DOMS hypertrophy training will. Believe it or not.

I have 53 years doing bodybuilding. I have a masters degree from Sydney University where I studied the Philosophy of Science. This experiment is simply putting my conjectures into practice. I am making bold claims. To me these claims are obvious because I have demonstrated my hypotheses on my own body. I know I can grow larger muscles and do so rapidly. I will boldly go where no man has ventured before. I will demonstrate the closest we can get chemical free to a Fountain of Youth.

I think you should enter the Mr. Getbig with Me, Jason Genova, Johnny Falcon et al. Remember backday entered and he is in his 60s.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2011, 04:19:17 PM »

wow you are an amazing getbigger I bet you also build nasa spaceships and you have already being to the moon, could you please update me when you land on mars.

He's still on his way, he'll get there when the medication wares off. LOL

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2011, 04:20:07 PM »
If I can succeed in this endeavour it will transcend Getbig. Online experts have been scoffing at my ideas for years. I published these ideas in Ironman Magazine in 2000 and 2001. It is time to do an extended trial of DOMS training.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2011, 04:23:17 PM »
Lol at Goodrum making a comment. Neither he nor Coach and even TA have the Vocabulary required in this field.

RustyTrenbolona

• Getbig IV
  • ...but it's just an empty sandwich bag...
« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2011, 04:28:18 PM »
What if you fail, sir?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2011, 04:30:24 PM »
Lol at Goodrum making a comment. Neither he nor Coach and even TA have the Vocabulary required in this field.
Shall we play online Scrabble?

Board_SHERIF

• Getbig V
  • UK Independence Party
« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2011, 04:31:27 PM »
A little more than 10 years ago, when I was in the prime of my lifting career, I tried an arm program that purported to add an inch in size in 24 hours. Being young, ambitious and looking for every possible way to get huge, my lifting partner and I set out to tackle this insane nine-hour, 90-set workout.

In short, we performed three triceps/biceps supersets every hour on the hour and two supersets on the half-hour, from 9 a.m. till 6 p.m. Combined with an elaborate eating plan, serious muscle soreness, nausea, light-headedness and overall malaise, we proceeded to train like maniacs to gain that inch. And we did! In fact, two weeks later, we still had nearly three-quarters of an inch remaining.

A few thousand hours of schooling, research and training later, I decided it was time to ask why, and more importantly, to see if we could replicate the results in a lab setting while using a less-intensive program. We decided that to do this routine in about half the time, we'd need to do two-thirds of the original volume to produce a similar effect. I and four other men, regular lifters ages 22-35, took on the daunting task of doing 60 sets in five hours. This is our journey.

LET THE MADNESS BEGIN

We exercised at 20-minute intervals, manipulating the number of sets and the muscles' time under tension each workout within each hour of the program. We chose only barbell and dumbbell exercises; since no one except the extremely dedicated (or insane) wants to hang out in a gym for five hours, this bad boy -- still five hours long -- is built for home. You'll need a bench, a set of dumbbells, a barbell and assorted weight plates.

Each workout is a superset (see "The 1-Inch-in-a-Day Arm Routine"). Don't rest between exercises for more than the time it takes to put one weight down and pick another up; take about 90 seconds of rest between supersets. It's critical that you move quickly so you have time to rest between workouts. The first group of exercises takes nearly nine minutes to complete, allowing only 11 minutes to prep for the second group of exercises; by the end of the day, those 11 minutes will feel like 11 seconds!

Control your rep speed as much as possible, and employ cheating for only the last rep or two. Choosing the amount of weight to use can be tricky, but follow these general rules of thumb: For each exercise, choose a weight with which you can get the prescribed number of reps and maybe one or two more, but no more than that. As a starting point, you could use 70% of your one-rep max for each move. Also realize that you may have to drop your poundages as the day progresses, but don't ever go so light that the lift is no longer challenging.

After the first hour, we were all up three-quarters of an inch relaxed, a half-inch flexed. Each hour, we re-recorded measurements. After our final sets, we were up an average of three-quarters of an inch flexed and 1 full inch relaxed. Of course, by the end of the program, brushing our teeth, scratching our backs and anything requiring the arms to flex less than 90 degrees was next to impossible. In fact, our arms were basically stuck at an isometric hold of about 120 degrees for the rest of the day.

Twenty-four hours later we measured again. Results for most had not changed, as we averaged a half- to three-quarters of an inch across the board both flexed and un-flexed. Good news, though: We'd all returned to almost full range of motion. By the end of the week, with no workouts in between, the group averaged between a quarter- to half-inch gain.

SCIENCE WEIGHS IN

Other scientific studies regarding this kind of workout simply don't exist. In the scientific community, the only people crazy enough to try this were in the lab with me that day. Yet some explanations could theoretically be responsible for the gains.

Let's first look at mechanisms for muscle hypertrophy. We know that muscle size increases by increasing the thickness of the myofilaments, or protein strands, within the contractile portion of the muscle. We also know that the number of myofibrils, the contractile structure made up of myofilaments, increase with training. Some research has shown that it may also be possible for muscle fibers themselves to split, known as hyperplasia, after which the new fibers increase in size, although this hasn't been well documented in human beings. Lastly, the entire cellular structure -- all the proteins, cell walls and other material that supports and anchors the contractile machine itself -- increases in overall size and thickness via training.

So we know we can increase fiber thickness, but can it be done as quickly as on this program? Technically, no.

SWELL GAINS

The most logical explanation for our gains lies in the way the body handles injury to a cell. When a muscle is damaged, it's swarmed with new satellite cells that go to work rebuilding the tissue. At the same time, swelling begins to occur from increased water retention by the muscle fiber itself. This water retention appears to stay for a few days or more with very heavy resistance training. In fact, participants in a 1998 training study were reported to maintain tissue swelling for up to seven days post-exercise! Over a long enough period, however, the cell would surely return to normal size.

Thus, swelling seems to be the culprit, but the story doesn't end there. The permanent effect -- the reason we seem to have been able to hold part of our gains (one-quarter- to a half an inch) for several months at the time of this writing -- is from our continued training. Since returning to our normal training programs, we've maintained the size, meaning we've maintained the overall volume of the tissue simply because we began another breakdown process before the muscle fibers completely returned to normal. In the long run, this may pose a problem, as effects of the swelling-repairing process can overcome your gains if you don't strike the proper balance of training and recuperation. That's a matter of ongoing scientific discovery.

In the meantime, I would suggest attempting this program only at three-month intervals, taking a full week off before resuming any exercise in which the arms play a significant role. Needless to say, don't train if you still feel pain or tenderness or show marked bruising or swelling.

An inch in a day? As farfetched as it may seem, it actually is possible. I lived it -- and now it's your turn to try it for yourself. M&F

David Sandler, MS, CSCS, CCS, is a professor of exercise physiology and strength and conditioning at Florida International University, where he directs the strength and conditioning curriculum. Sandler is also a founding partner in StrengthPro, a Miami-based strength-consulting firm: www.strengthpro.com

The 1-Inch-in-a-Day Arm Routine

Time*   Exercise   Sets   Reps
0   Standing Barbell Curl   3   8
   -- superset with --      
   Seated Two-Hand Overhead Dumbbell Extension**   3   8
20   Seated Alternating Dumbbell Curl   2   12
   -- superset with --      
   Two-Arm Dumbbell Kickback   2   12
40   "Crazy 6's" Barbell Curl***   1   6
   -- superset with --      
   "Crazy 6's" Lying Barbell French Press   1   6
Repeat this every hour for five hours total.
Rest 90 seconds between supersets.

* Time refers to the part of each hour the listed exercises are performed. For instance, "0" could be 2 p.m., "20" would be 2:20 p.m. and "40" would be 2:40 p.m.
** Use a low-back bench or chair if you have one; otherwise sit at the end of a flat bench.
*** Crazy 6's use a six-second positive and six-second negative for six reps (total of 72 seconds of tension on the muscles).

Nutritional Support
As for the eating plan we followed during our insane five-hour, 60-set workout, it was just as crazy. We ate once per hour, and these were our five meals:
Meal 1: 1 banana, plus mix together: 8 oz. ground turkey, white rice, garlic-basil tomato sauce and your choice of spices
Meal 2: Same as Meal 1
Meal 3: 4 hard-boiled egg whites + 1 banana
Meal 4: 6 oz. fat-free cottage cheese mixed with your choice of fruit
Meal 5: 40 g whey protein + 6 fat-free Oreo cookies (a reward for the effort!)
K

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2011, 04:32:46 PM »

And what field might that be Vince? I have limited time to go through five pages of bullshit. I already told you, anytime you think you're ready for a debate on training just say the word.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
If I can succeed in this endeavour it will transcend Getbig. Online experts have been scoffing at my ideas for years. I published these ideas in Ironman Magazine in 2000 and 2001. It is time to do an extended trial of DOMS training.
The time for arguing with the "flotsam" is over, put up or shut up.

And pellius.......my 1/8 negroid brother.......wtf is up with all those meltdowns posts? Bad day in paradise? ;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2011, 05:18:43 PM »
What if you fail, sir?

Then he will know he is wrong. That's how we progress. We try -- fail, try -- fail... but, sometimes, somewhere, someone succeeds. The important thing is that you try. You put yourself out there. Test and challenge yourself. You do something. That's called living.

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #120 on: September 21, 2011, 05:20:24 PM »
He's still on his way, he'll get there when the medication wares off. LOL

LOL!
b

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: September 21, 2011, 05:22:20 PM »

And pellius.......my 1/8 negroid brother.......wtf is up with all those meltdowns posts? Bad day in paradise? ;D

I think pellius set a record there for consecutive uninterrupted chain of posts.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: September 21, 2011, 05:49:24 PM »

Meltdown use to mean being angry and frustrated. None of my posts are done with any anger or frustration. But if you defend someone or yourself. If your posts are longer than one "generation nothingness" attention span sentence then it is a meltdown. It's like word inflation. Use and over use a particular word or term over and over again and it just becomes meaningless.

People have been giving shit to Basile for years on end. Finally he steps up. I respect that and want to encourage him and want others to do as well. But you always have the naysayers trying to bring someone down. "You'll fail.", "My grandpa has better arms." "He'll just make excuses."

It's hard enough trying to back up you're shit. That should be obvious here where all these people love to make claims and brag about themselves without ever backing it up. (Think: suckymuscle).
It's not made any easier when you have people trying to drag you down. It reminds me of bullies. People who just bash and pick on others out of pure spite. I've always hated bullies. So that's where I come in. Defending the persecuted who is harming no one. Giving credit where credit is due. Just doing my small part to make this world a better place. A better place for you, and me, and all of mankind. To be able to stand before God and say, "Yes, because of me the world was just a little bit better place. And that I am worthy of eternal salvation and my rightful place in Heaven."

Also, I had an uncharacteristic burst of ambition recently and took some recent pics to begin documenting my inevitable physical decline as the years wear on and needed an excuse to post a pic of my arm (up from just under 15 and a half to stretching the tape a few ticks past that. Arm don status is within reach).

Speaking of which -- 23 inch quads and 16 inch calves in your face bitches!

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2011, 05:54:01 PM »
Meltdown use to mean being angry and frustrated. None of my posts are done with any anger or frustration. But if you defend someone or yourself. If your posts are longer than one "generation nothingness" attention span sentence then it is a meltdown. It's like word inflation. Use and over use a particular word or term over and over again and it just becomes meaningless.

People have been giving shit to Basile for years on end. Finally he steps up. I respect that and want to encourage him and want others to do as well. But you always have the naysayers trying to bring someone down. "You'll fail.", "My grandpa has better arms." "He'll just make excuses."

It's hard enough trying to back up you're shit. That should be obvious here where all these people love to make claims and brag about themselves without ever backing it up. (Think: suckymuscle).
It's not made any easier when you have people trying to drag you down. It reminds me of bullies. People who just bash and pick on others out of pure spite. I've always hated bullies. So that's where I come in. Defending the persecuted who is harming no one. Giving credit where credit is due. Just doing my small part to make this world a better place. A better place for you, and me, and all of mankind. To be able to stand before God and say, "Yes, because of me the world was just a little bit better place. And that I am worthy of eternal salvation and my rightful place in Heaven."

Also, I had an uncharacteristic burst of ambition recently and took some recent pics to begin documenting my inevitable physical decline as the years wear on and needed an excuse to post a pic of my arm (up from just under 15 and a half to stretching the tape a few ticks past that. Arm don status is within reach).

Speaking of which -- 23 inch quads and 16 inch calves in your face bitches!

While no posts were done with anger or malice, the sheer volume of individual posts suggests rage and emotion above and beyond the norm.

As far as Basile goes, like I said, I've given him tons of shit myself, but if he's serious and willing to put forth the effort, I support his cause........however, if he shits the bed and half asses the attempt or quits, I will be first in line to pop his rubber ducky and send him packing!!
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

MP

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy metal. The only way.
« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2011, 05:55:16 PM »
Let me see if I can boil all of this drivel down ...

I have been slack over the years and so I didn't train much.

OK, and now you're going to put in some serious training and expect to grow? Wow, groundbreaking.

The relative idleness is what allowed me to discover that I didn't need to train all upper body parts. Doing just the arms was sufficient for the whole upper body to grow.

So you're just going to train arms and claim the rest of your upper body is going to grow?

Fair enough.

How about posting some before and after shots of your upper body so we can all see how your experiment turns out.

Good luck in your experiment.