Author Topic: The Getbig experiment. Training photo at 69.  (Read 163768 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Re: The Getbig experiment. Training photo at 69.
« Reply #175 on: September 22, 2011, 04:20:24 PM »
I have an engineering factory. How many bodybuilding champions have one? You need big machines to build gym equipment. Lathes, milling machines, radial drills, bandsaws, big welders, etc. I taught myself to use these machines. Building the biceps-supinator by myself was a challenge. I didn't feel competent to do the tool making of parts. Well, I bit the bullet and did it and was quite pleased with the result. When I installed it in my gym I found I had to make modifications. The machine has had 3 major modifications over the years. I used a lot of stainless steel because I wanted the machine to be durable and not corrode over time. The movement mimics doing dumbbell curls. You can do them together or one arm at a time. You can curl and supinate at the same time or do the movements separately. When you have exhausted the biceps doing curls you can do more via the supination twists. The workouts for biceps can be absolutely brutal.
I have an idea for an improvement for your machine.  How about some sort of lock on each handle grip for the supine position.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #176 on: September 22, 2011, 04:22:30 PM »
How about just using a dumbbell?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #177 on: September 22, 2011, 04:28:16 PM »
Dumbbells can be used but only if gripped close to one end. If you can build one then make the grip area much longer so you can increase the lever and hence the resistance for supination.

Also, try doing curls this way. Start with dumbbells on the thighs but hands facing each other. As you slowly curl the dumbbells rotate them inwards and complete the inward rotation before the dumbbells are at 90 degrees. Try to get the little fingers higher than the thumbs before you are half way through the curl. This should stress the supination function of the biceps. Lift the dumbbells at the end of the movement to stress the 3rd function of the biceps.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #178 on: September 22, 2011, 04:28:47 PM »
Wow, this thread itself is a meltdown.  :o :o :o

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #179 on: September 22, 2011, 04:45:19 PM »
Dumbbells can be used but only if gripped close to one end. If you can build one then make the grip area much longer so you can increase the lever and hence the resistance for supination.

Also, try doing curls this way. Start with dumbbells on the thighs but hands facing each other. As you slowly curl the dumbbells rotate them inwards and complete the inward rotation before the dumbbells are at 90 degrees. Try to get the little fingers higher than the thumbs before you are half way through the curl. This should stress the supination function of the biceps. Lift the dumbbells at the end of the movement to stress the 3rd function of the biceps.

I don't do biceps but if I did I would just do a few quick DB and BB curls

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #180 on: September 22, 2011, 04:54:20 PM »
Here I am the inventor of a new biceps machine and the Getbig experts are suggesting what they would do. Bloodly hell what an amazing activity bodybuilding is. Everyone is a genuine expert.

Let me see if I can explain what I am doing. I am not canvassing Getbig to see what I should do. I am not asking for advice. I am simply following my ideas and repeating an experiment I did over 12 years ago when I gained an inch on my biceps and triceps in one month. This time I hope I avoid injury. I certainly don't do just any old biceps movement. That would show I learned nothing from over 50 years training. Exercise selection is crucial. Have you got that? You cannot do just anything and expect to grow bigger. It has to be effective. Well, if you don't grow bigger then you are doing at least one thing wrong and have to change what you are doing. Not at all good during an experiment. If others want to try to get bigger by all means have a go but start your own thread perhaps in the training forum. I need motivation so guys throwing stones won't hurt. Spare me the old theories from what you learned in your garage.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #181 on: September 22, 2011, 05:00:41 PM »
Here I am the inventor of a new biceps machine and the Getbig experts are suggesting what they would do. Bloodly hell what an amazing activity bodybuilding is. Everyone is a genuine expert.
What made you an expert?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Xerxes

« Reply #182 on: September 22, 2011, 05:03:33 PM »
What made you an expert?

Nothing, that's the sad part  :-\

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #183 on: September 22, 2011, 05:04:20 PM »
Did NASA not spend millions developing a pen that worked in space and the Ruski's just used a pencil?

Don't try to reinvent the wheel.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #184 on: September 22, 2011, 05:06:05 PM »
I consider myself an authority on hypertrophy training. I don't know that much and there is plenty to learn. However, the typical Getbigger knows even less than I do. I haven't heard any new theories about hypertrophy posted on this forum. I have posted mine here. That says it all.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #185 on: September 22, 2011, 05:07:51 PM »
I consider myself an authority on hypertrophy training. I don't know that much and there is plenty to learn. However, the typical Getbigger knows even less than I do. I haven't heard any new theories about hypertrophy posted on this forum. I have posted mine here. That says it all.
So if someone makes up a theory, they are an expert?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Xerxes

« Reply #186 on: September 22, 2011, 05:09:08 PM »

My theory for best hypertrophy results is 100 slow reps with light weight

There you go I have a theory, we are now equal.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #187 on: September 22, 2011, 05:10:14 PM »
Listen, chaos, if you haven't done the reading why come here to argue points? Makes about as much sense as dumbbells clanging in the weightroom.

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #188 on: September 22, 2011, 05:10:29 PM »

My theory is that Vince Basile looks like shit.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #189 on: September 22, 2011, 05:10:54 PM »

LOL. Congratulations.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #190 on: September 22, 2011, 05:12:31 PM »
I trained on my birthday 2 days ago. Stiff but not sore today so I am training again. Feels great. 18 inch arms here I come....then who knows?

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #191 on: September 22, 2011, 05:15:15 PM »
Listen, chaos, if you haven't done the reading why come here to argue points? Makes about as much sense as dumbbells clanging in the weightroom.
What points did I argue? You're so quick to dismiss any and all input as to how to improve your equipment and attack the expertise of others while claiming yourself to be some kind of muscle building and engineering expert, all I did was asked what makes you an expert? And the only thing you can respond with is that you have a theory on hypertrophy??
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #192 on: September 22, 2011, 05:20:56 PM »
Yes, what does one have to do to qualify as an expert in bodybuilding? I suppose there are many levels. If you have made good gains in a gym and people compliment you on your size I guess that is one level of being an expert. Hence, most on Getbig qualify.

The next level requires that a person has read the literature and/or has vast experience training in the gym. At this stage you can argue with others about training protocols and you will usually be able to assess whether various methods have merit or not. It also requires experience at doing these other methods. That is the main way to know what is effective and what is not.

The third level is formulating a new theory of hypertrophy along with training methods needed to get there. This theory must be new and bold. It must explain things that haven't been explained before.

The highest level is obtaining a PhD in hypertrophy and perhaps doing original research in the area to demonstrate hypotheses. I know of no one at this level.

Xerxes

« Reply #193 on: September 22, 2011, 05:22:25 PM »
LOL this delusional old schmuck just invented the different levels of bodybuilding expertise

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #194 on: September 22, 2011, 05:27:27 PM »
LOL. How would any of you guys know if someone was an expert or not? That is the amusing thing. It is always easy to dismiss others but extremely difficult to come up with new
training theories. Get your ideas published in Ironman. I will accept that.

Xerxes

« Reply #195 on: September 22, 2011, 05:29:38 PM »
LOL. How would any of you guys know if someone was an expert or not? That is the amusing thing. It is always easy to dismiss others but extremely difficult to come up with new

The funny part is that you haven't tested your theory anywhere and when you presented them to Ironage they thought it was rubbish.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #196 on: September 22, 2011, 05:33:05 PM »
People laughed at Arthur Jones when he arrived on the scene. Ridicule is always found when someone proposes something different that goes against what is believed. Not getting laughed it would be a worry.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #197 on: September 22, 2011, 05:34:51 PM »

A theory is not always correct.

We understand the conept how the human body works now. We do not need any more theories

Xerxes

« Reply #198 on: September 22, 2011, 05:37:08 PM »
People laughed at Arthur Jones when he arrived on the scene. Ridicule is always found when someone proposes something different that goes against what is believed. Not getting laughed it would be a worry.

You make it sound like you're Newton yet to be recognized by the world ::). If you dropped the pompous arrogant attitude and presented your theory in a straightforward manner without proclaiming your superiority to the "floatsam" then maybe, maaaybe getbig wouldn't think you're an old delusional fatass. More likely getbig would just think your theory was stupid though.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #199 on: September 22, 2011, 05:38:57 PM »

You constantly dismiss others as "flotsam" when they give you input. I have many people, old, young, newbies, old timers, men and women ask for my opinion or my help in the gym, am I an expert?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!