Author Topic: Election 2016  (Read 170758 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Election 2016
« Reply #250 on: June 06, 2016, 01:30:25 PM »
I feel his pain.

Sasse is Resolute: No Hillary, no Trump
DON WALTON Lincoln Journal Star

Unyielding in his determination to oppose Donald Trump, his party's presumptive presidential nominee, Sen. Ben Sasse said Sunday he expects to cast a presidential vote in November, but not for Trump or likely Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton.

Sasse said he and his wife, Melissa, have "decided to sit down in October and deliberate, pray and think" before they determine how to cast their presidential ballots.

Asked whether he would consider a vote for Libertarian presidential nominee Gary Johnson, Sasse said he "hadn't really looked closely at it yet."

But, he said, "the Libertarian Party is something I would certainly consider in the long term."

Sasse spoke during a brief interview outside Kimball Hall on the University of Nebraska-Lincoln campus following an address to about 400 high school juniors at the opening session of this year's Boys State.

Nebraskans who have visited with him at a flurry of events during the current Senate recess overwhelmingly agree with his deep concerns about Trump, the senator said.

"People, perhaps 10 to 1, are saying thanks for saying what we believe," he said.

"But definitely there are some frustrated people who say they are anti-Clinton" and argue that is reason enough to support Trump, the senator said.

Sasse is the only Republican senator who has declared his opposition to his party's presidential nominee. Nebraska's first-term senator began campaigning against Trump in Iowa at the beginning of this year's series of presidential caucuses and primaries in an effort to derail him from reaching for the GOP nomination.

Although Sasse focused on big-picture issues like national security, foreign policy and the changing economy during an address that launched this year's session of Boys State, the first question he encountered from a Boys Stater centered on his opposition to Trump.

"That was the question I was most trying to avoid," Sasse told him with a smile.

Sasse reminded the youths that he is one of the most conservative members of the Senate, a constitutional conservative and "happily a member of the party of Abraham Lincoln."

But the presidential choice for Americans in November will be between "the two most unpopular nominees" in polling history, he said.

"Both sides are not doing a very good job of explaining what they are for," he said. Both are engaged in "creative destruction," he said.

Sasse said that among the vast changes that lie ahead for today's high school students is the possibility of a reordering of the traditional two-party system.

"Don't be so sure the two-party political system continues long-term," he said.

"Both parties are exhausted," he said. "They probably don't have the big ideas for the change that is coming."

http://journalstar.com/news/state-and-regional/federal-politics/sasse-considers-libertarian-presidential-vote/article_f465a94c-cdef-595d-af42-31216db55ad2.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #251 on: June 08, 2016, 12:49:35 PM »
It's all over but the crying.  Trump vs. Hillary. 

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/california

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #252 on: June 08, 2016, 01:46:00 PM »

Dude, repubs are really sick of Trump - he's sinking his own campaign.

They may just boot him at the convention.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #253 on: June 08, 2016, 02:50:58 PM »
It's all over but the crying.  Trump vs. Hillary.  

What a disaster

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #254 on: June 08, 2016, 02:54:04 PM »
What a disaster

it's not over yet.

Hilary could be indicted any time.   Trump could be ousted by his own party at any time.

Trump is likely 1/2 a BILLION behind Hilary in fundraising.  His own team says he's not filling holes and baffling them by almost purposefully under-achieving.   More and more repubs are talking about just plain choosing someone else at the convention. 

We could be looking at Biden/Warren vs Ryan/Rubio for all we know.  2016 is a year like none other.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #255 on: June 08, 2016, 04:35:45 PM »
What a disaster

Of epic proportions.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #256 on: June 09, 2016, 12:36:30 PM »
How can Obama endorse Hillary when her FBI criminal investigation is still ongoing, and Obama's Justice Department might have to decide on whether or not to pursue charges against Hillary? 

Obama endorses Clinton for president, on heels of Sanders meeting
Published June 09, 2016
FoxNews.com

President Obama formally endorsed Hillary Clinton to succeed him in the White House Thursday, saying she has the "courage" for the job and vowing to hit the campaign trail for her soon -- in a video message posted just moments after meeting with her primary rival Bernie Sanders.

"I know how hard this job can be. That’s why I know Hillary will be so good at it," the president said, in the video posted on Clinton's campaign site. "In fact, I don’t think there’s ever been someone so qualified to hold this office."

The president made clear he would no longer stand on the sidelines, even as Vermont Sen. Sanders vows to stick out the race at least through the final primary in Washington, D.C., next Tuesday.

The Clinton campaign separately announced that she and Obama would campaign together June 15 in Green Bay. Clinton tweeted that she's "fired up."

Hillary Clinton
✔  ‎@HillaryClinton 
Honored to have you with me, @POTUS. I'm fired up and ready to go! -H
7:56 AM - 9 Jun 2016

Presumptive GOP nominee Donald Trump immediately fired back.

Donald J. Trump
✔  ‎@realDonaldTrump 
Obama just endorsed Crooked Hillary. He wants four more years of Obama—but nobody else does!
8:22 AM - 9 Jun 2016

The video was released shortly after Obama met in the Oval Office with Sanders.

Sanders afterward struck a conciliatory tone Thursday, saying he plans to meet soon with Clinton to discuss how they can “work together to defeat Donald Trump.”

The Vermont senator said he still plans to compete in next Tuesday’s Washington, D.C., primary, the final contest on the calendar. And he said he plans to take his message “to the Democratic National Convention” in July.

He did not, however, say specifically whether he would still be an active candidate by then, taking no questions from the press before heading over to a meeting with Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid.

The meeting with Obama was private. They met for over an hour, and Fox News is told no staff or aides were present.

But his tone, compared with his defiant speech early Wednesday after Clinton clinched the Democratic nomination, appeared to soften. 

While offering no endorsement himself, Sanders said he spoke with Clinton and congratulated her “on her very strong campaign.”

And Sanders thanked Obama for his “impartiality” throughout the process. He said he and Vice President Biden lived up to their pledge not to put their “thumb on the scales.”

Clinton and Obama, along with other party leaders, are eager to bring Sanders – and his supporters – into the fold.

The president's endorsement reflects their desire to unify as the general election battle between Clinton and presumptive rival Trump intensifies.

Sanders acknowledged a common political enemy, railing against Trump in his brief remarks to reporters Thursday afternoon and saying he’ll do everything in his power to prevent Trump’s election.

As for what he wants, Sanders said he’ll continue to fight what he called the “drift” toward an oligarchic society. He lamented childhood poverty rates, crushing college debt, crumbling infrastructure and other woes and said these are the issues he’ll bring to the Philadelphia convention.

Whether that means a fight to overhaul the party platform – or a last-ditch bid to somehow deny Clinton the nomination – remains to be seen.

One demand Sanders was thought to be considering – as part of a party-unity deal -- is the removal of Democratic boss Debbie Wasserman Schultz. Sanders and the DNC chairwoman have been at odds for months, with Sanders’ team long accusing her of helping now-presumptive nominee Clinton.

Whether Sanders sought – and the president would even consider – a Schultz sacrifice is unclear.

“I don’t see how she makes it through the convention,” one Democratic lawmaker told Fox News. “The key to Hillary winning is getting Sanders supporters on board.”

Speculation over Wasserman Schultz’ position has swirled for months, however, and so far she has retained the public support of the White House. Obama also endorsed her earlier this year in her House primary battle.

Asked Wednesday about the possibility of Sanders seeking her removal, Wasserman Schultz said she’s not worried about her job.

“I'm going to be remaining as the chair of the Democratic National Committee as President Obama has asked me to do until January 21, 2017, and I appreciate the president’s support,” she said.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/06/09/obama-endorses-clinton-for-president-on-heels-sanders-meeting.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #257 on: June 10, 2016, 01:36:32 PM »
Pocahontas as VP?  No thank you.

Warren met with Clinton this morning, fueling VP speculation
By James Hohmann June 10, 2016
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2016/06/10/warren-to-meet-with-clinton-this-morning-fueling-vp-speculation/

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #258 on: June 10, 2016, 11:18:38 PM »
Pocahontas as VP?  No thank you.

hilary woudl do better with a young male face on the ticket, maybe a hispanic.

BUT the base loves her.   and she's campaigning for that veep slot.  I wonder if she lessens hilary negatives.  Would like to see a poll "Does pochahantas on the ticket as VP improve your approval of hilary?"

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #259 on: June 10, 2016, 11:20:03 PM »
Hillary picking another female would be a political disaster.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #260 on: June 10, 2016, 11:36:25 PM »

normally, correct.   warren, though, is like a less crazy versoin of bernie sanders.  she MIGHT bring 2 or 3% more dems out to vote, might be all the difference.

She's probably the ONLY vp that'd get asses out of seats.  The base loves her.  The biggest thing the repubs have on her is that she lied on an application to receive indian version of affirmative action benefits, 50 years ago.   She screwed over a system they continually bitch about - THAT is their biggest beef with her. 

A high school application where she punked a system that favored minorities - she bilked the system that conservatives hate - THAT is their biggest beef.   

Obama spent 20 years in a racist jerk, anti-patriotic church.   She lied on an application to fight affirmative action.   LOL repubs, really?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #261 on: June 14, 2016, 10:55:26 AM »

Not really.  People typically vote the top of the ticket.  We always talk about how important a VP pick is, but at the end of the day it really doesn't matter that much.  Bush Sr. pick Quayle, who could never be elected president.  Dubya picked Cheney, who couldn't sniff the presidency on his own and wasn't very well liked.  Obama picked Biden, who Democrats repeatedly rejected. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #262 on: June 14, 2016, 10:56:05 AM »
Reuters Poll: Clinton Leads Trump by 11 Points
Friday, 10 Jun 2016

Hillary Clinton leads Donald Trump by 11 points in the U.S. presidential race, showing little change after she became the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee this week, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Friday.

The online poll, conducted from Monday to Friday, shows 46 percent of likely voters support Clinton while 34.8 percent back Trump. Another 19.2 percent support neither candidate. Their parties hold conventions in July ahead of a Nov. 8 election.

Clinton's lead was nearly the same a week ago, before she had amassed enough convention delegates to win the nomination and before Trump drew criticism from leaders of both parties for questioning the impartiality of a Mexican-American judge.

Trump, 69, enjoyed a bigger boost after becoming the presumptive Republican nominee in May. Having trailed Clinton, 68, for most of the year, Trump briefly erased a double-digit gap and pulled about even with the former secretary of state.

Clinton this week defeated party rival Bernie Sanders, 74, in four of six nominating contests, most notably California and New Jersey, and won the endorsements of President Barack Obama, Vice President Joe Biden, Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts and other party leaders.

Trump this week sparred with party leaders and struggled with questions about his now-defunct Trump University. A lawsuit accuses Trump and the for-profit school of defrauding thousands of people, including many who paid as much as $35,000 to learn Trump's real estate strategies.

A wealthy businessman who asserts the lawsuit is politically motivated, Trump said presiding U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel was biased against him because of Trump's plans to build a wall on the border with Mexico. Trump later added that Muslim judges could be biased against him also because of his pledge to temporarily ban Muslims from entering the country.

Trump's comments drew sharp criticism from Republican leaders, including House Speaker Paul Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. Trump later said he would no longer talk about the judge.

Friday's results had 1,276 respondents and a credibility interval, a measure of accuracy, of 3.2 percentage points.

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/reuters-poll-clinton-leads/2016/06/10/id/733361/#ixzz4BZreTxof

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #263 on: June 14, 2016, 01:31:28 PM »

You do realize Hillary is not the only democrat running for President, while Trump is pretty much the only choice the republicans have at this point. Bernie Sanders pulled a fair number of Northern California votes. He won't win the democratic nomination. Most of his votes will go to Clinton in the general election.

Recent poles indicate Trump's support is slipping this past week or so. He's down 10 points. Clinton's support is on the rise. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #264 on: June 14, 2016, 01:32:41 PM »
Recent poles indicate Trump's support is slipping this past week or so. He's down 10 points. Clinton's support is on the rise. 

Mccain led obama twice - once when he became the presumptive nominee, and once when he chose Word Salad as his veep.

Ten days later, both times, it was back to the shitter.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #265 on: June 14, 2016, 01:34:22 PM »
it's not over yet.

Hilary could be indicted any time.   Trump could be ousted by his own party at any time.

Trump is likely 1/2 a BILLION behind Hilary in fundraising.  His own team says he's not filling holes and baffling them by almost purposefully under-achieving.   More and more repubs are talking about just plain choosing someone else at the convention. 

We could be looking at Biden/Warren vs Ryan/Rubio for all we know.  2016 is a year like none other.

I don't know about you, but I have paid more attention to this Presidential primary than any before. Like you suggest, nothing is a done deal yet. The next 5 months should be very interesting.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #266 on: June 14, 2016, 01:37:34 PM »
Mccain led obama twice - once when he became the presumptive nominee, and once when he chose Word Salad as his veep.

Ten days later, both times, it was back to the shitter.

The media is eating this election up. Whenever there is even a hint of a change, they're all over it.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #267 on: June 14, 2016, 01:38:48 PM »
I don't know about you, but I have paid more attention to this Presidential primary than any before. Like you suggest, nothing is a done deal yet. The next 5 months should be very interesting.

imagine if russia releases some emails showing "Let's just let them take the embassy..." or some other silly shit like that.   She'll be toast.

imagine if the repubs wake up, regain their common sense, and realize Trump is a complete jackass, sabotaging his own campaign, 1/2 a billion behind hilary... and they recruit Bloomberg or Ryan or, I dunno, some monster name... shit, Ben Affleck or Tom Brady lol......  some other name to just smack everyone.

Imagine if the libertarian (at 23% in one poll before a single debate) just looks like the only grownup on stage.   It could happen.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #268 on: June 14, 2016, 01:46:03 PM »
You do realize Hillary is not the only democrat running for President, while Trump is pretty much the only choice the republicans have at this point. Bernie Sanders pulled a fair number of Northern California votes. He won't win the democratic nomination. Most of his votes will go to Clinton in the general election.

Hillary has always been essentially the only person running for the Democrat nomination.  The other three were smart enough to drop out early when they realized the fix was in and she had already been coronated.  Sanders had nothing more than a symbolic run.  Hillary was crowned before she even formally announced she was running. 

Trump, on the other hand, beat 16 other Republican candidates.  It was an actual race.  He had enormous advantages with the billions in free media coverage, but he it was an actual competition.   

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #269 on: June 14, 2016, 02:02:48 PM »
Hillary has always been essentially the only person running for the Democrat nomination.  The other three were smart enough to drop out early when they realized the fix was in and she had already been coronated.  Sanders had nothing more than a symbolic run.  Hillary was crowned before she even formally announced she was running. 

Trump, on the other hand, beat 16 other Republican candidates.  It was an actual race.  He had enormous advantages with the billions in free media coverage, but he it was an actual competition.   

Bravo for Trump. He's a (dirty) fighter for sure, but I doubt he will be our next President. As for the media, it is said that any media coverage is better than no media coverage, even when it's negative. Trump's shenanigans have kept him at the forefront. I have a sense though that folks are getting tired of him. I could be dead wrong, but that's what I feel.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #270 on: June 14, 2016, 02:10:21 PM »
Bravo for Trump. He's a (dirty) fighter for sure, but I doubt he will be our next President. As for the media, it is said that any media coverage is better than no media coverage, even when it's negative. Trump's shenanigans have kept him at the forefront. I have a sense though that folks are getting tired of him. I could be dead wrong, but that's what I feel.

The media has been holding a lot of "bad" info on Trump, because they wanted him to be the nominee.  They believe he is easy to beat.  I think they're wrong.  We've all been wrong about Trump.  Something very different is happening.  People just don't give a rip about all of the bad things Trump brings to the table.  They are angry.  Fed up with the folks in DC. 

In addition to that, Hillary is horrible.  Take a look at her negatives.  Just as bad as Trump's negatives.  She is incredibly unlikeable and untrustworthy.  Have you seen her integrity poll numbers? 

I once thought Trump had no chance to be the nominee and, even if he won, would get killed in November.  I don't believe that anymore. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #271 on: June 14, 2016, 03:02:27 PM »
The media has been holding a lot of "bad" info on Trump, because they wanted him to be the nominee.  They believe he is easy to beat.  I think they're wrong.  We've all been wrong about Trump.  Something very different is happening.  People just don't give a rip about all of the bad things Trump brings to the table.  They are angry.  Fed up with the folks in DC. 

In addition to that, Hillary is horrible.  Take a look at her negatives.  Just as bad as Trump's negatives.  She is incredibly unlikeable and untrustworthy.  Have you seen her integrity poll numbers? 

I once thought Trump had no chance to be the nominee and, even if he won, would get killed in November.  I don't believe that anymore. 

I'll give you that our Presidential options in this election are few if any. Unfortunately, one of these two will likely be our next President. If it's Trump and he can't deliver on his promises to these angry folks, his life will be in great danger, I suspect.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #272 on: June 14, 2016, 03:45:26 PM »
I'll give you that our Presidential options in this election are few if any. Unfortunately, one of these two will likely be our next President. If it's Trump and he can't deliver on his promises to these angry folks, his life will be in great danger, I suspect.

Do you really expect any politician to deliver on his/her promises? 

I'm voting for Gary Johnson. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #273 on: June 14, 2016, 03:46:39 PM »

props

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #274 on: June 14, 2016, 03:47:31 PM »