Author Topic: Prayer and Religion in Public Life  (Read 634646 times)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
Re: Prayer and Religion in Public Life
« Reply #875 on: February 01, 2023, 08:10:56 PM »
Prayer is about intent.  The church (a body of believers...not a building) should pray righteously to commune with the Father.  If the intent in prayer is self-promotion then you're in error like the Pharisees.  Jesus prayed publicly and privately exhibiting only righteousness either way....be like Jesus. 

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #876 on: February 01, 2023, 09:45:08 PM »
Prayer is about intent.  The church (a body of believers...not a building) should pray righteously to commune with the Father.  If the intent in prayer is self-promotion then you're in error like the Pharisees.  Jesus prayed publicly and privately exhibiting only righteousness either way....be like Jesus.

Praying is fine by me if that's your thing.

But making a public spectacle about it is just silly.

If you pray 3-4 hours later will God ignore you?

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #877 on: February 02, 2023, 09:29:41 AM »
Praying is fine by me if that's your thing.

But making a public spectacle about it is just silly.

If you pray 3-4 hours later will God ignore you?

Nah brother, you ain't wrong.  Most public prayer is purely a spectacle for self-promotion.   It's the nonsense of this "look at me, looke at me" era...it enter the church too.  Jesus was way ahead and said whether praying or judging don't be a freakin hypocrite LOL.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #878 on: February 03, 2023, 10:07:02 PM »
Nah brother, you ain't wrong.  Most public prayer is purely a spectacle for self-promotion.   It's the nonsense of this "look at me, looke at me" era...it enter the church too.  Jesus was way ahead and said whether praying or judging don't be a freakin hypocrite LOL.

I could not agree more and may I say, welcome back. You were sorely missed. And though we disagreed more often than not. You were always civil
ree

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #879 on: February 09, 2023, 08:19:27 PM »
I could not agree more and may I say, welcome back. You were sorely missed. And though we disagreed more often than not. You were always civil
ree
Glad you're doin well!!  Yes I've missed some of the back and forth, but in the end my "walls of text" days are behind me LOL!  I realized the error of my ways and have abandoned trying to be "the smartest guy in the room".  I just share my faith now and answer questions as simply as i'm able to.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #880 on: February 12, 2023, 10:24:02 PM »
Glad you're doin well!!  Yes I've missed some of the back and forth, but in the end my "walls of text" days are behind me LOL!  I realized the error of my ways and have abandoned trying to be "the smartest guy in the room".  I just share my faith now and answer questions as simply as i'm able to.

I think we reached the same conclusion

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #881 on: February 13, 2023, 09:42:06 PM »
Probably more atheists suffering emotional distress over something they do not believe exists. 

‘NFL legend-turned-coach’ to undergo ‘training’ after atheists complained about ‘religious exercises’
February 11, 2023
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2023/02/11/nfl-legend-turned-coach-to-undergo-training-after-atheists-complained-about-religious-exercises-1332152/

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #882 on: February 14, 2023, 12:23:20 AM »
Probably more atheists suffering emotional distress over something they do not believe exists. 

‘NFL legend-turned-coach’ to undergo ‘training’ after atheists complained about ‘religious exercises’
February 11, 2023
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2023/02/11/nfl-legend-turned-coach-to-undergo-training-after-atheists-complained-about-religious-exercises-1332152/
Deon is really ruffling some feathers especially now that he is coaching in the PAC12.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #883 on: February 14, 2023, 11:34:06 PM »
Deon is really ruffling some feathers especially now that he is coaching in the PAC12.

Prime Time is doing an amazing job.  Really impressed by him.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #884 on: February 15, 2023, 01:02:00 AM »
Prime Time is doing an amazing job.  Really impressed by him.
Great recruiter for sure so far.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #885 on: February 16, 2023, 10:23:10 PM »
Great recruiter for sure so far.

He is off the chain as a recruiter.  He's going to turn Colorado into a contender. 

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #886 on: February 17, 2023, 01:19:51 AM »
He is off the chain as a recruiter.  He's going to turn Colorado into a contender.
He may have already gotten them in trouble by announcing his son would be the starter when he wasn't even in the portal yet. He needs to brush up on NCAA D1 rules.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #887 on: February 27, 2023, 04:42:37 PM »
'The world has been watching': How a small service at Asbury took the globe by storm
Haadiza Ogwude
Cincinnati Enquirer
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2023/02/27/how-asbury-university-revival-started-globe-by-storm/69937478007/

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #888 on: April 05, 2023, 01:22:17 PM »
At least 600 children were sexually abused by Baltimore’s Catholic Church over 60 years, Maryland AG says

Maryland's top prosecutor on Wednesday accused Catholic Church officials in Baltimore of engaging in a yearslong coverup of the sexual abuse of 600-plus children, some of whom were “preyed upon by multiple abusers over decades."

State Attorney General Anthony Brown chronicled the abuse in a 463-page report that named several priests and described their alleged wrongdoing.

"Time and again, members of the Church’s hierarchy resolutely refused to acknowledge allegations of child sexual abuse for as long as possible," according to the report.

"When denial became impossible, Church leadership would remove abusers from the parish or school, sometimes with promises that they would have no further contact with children. Church documents reveal with disturbing clarity that the Archdiocese was more concerned with avoiding scandal and negative publicity than it was with protecting children."

In total, the state found, more than "600 children are known to have been abused by the 156 people included in this Report, but the number is likely far higher."

The sexual abuse was so pervasive, it wasn't uncommon for a young victim to be targeted by more than one adult, according to the report.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/maryland-ag-documents-widespread-sexual-abuse-least-600-victims-baltim-rcna78378

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #889 on: April 05, 2023, 09:41:42 PM »
At least 600 children were sexually abused by Baltimore’s Catholic Church over 60 years, Maryland AG says

Maryland's top prosecutor on Wednesday accused Catholic Church officials in Baltimore of engaging in a yearslong coverup of the sexual abuse of 600-plus children, some of whom were “preyed upon by multiple abusers over decades."

State Attorney General Anthony Brown chronicled the abuse in a 463-page report that named several priests and described their alleged wrongdoing.

"Time and again, members of the Church’s hierarchy resolutely refused to acknowledge allegations of child sexual abuse for as long as possible," according to the report.

"When denial became impossible, Church leadership would remove abusers from the parish or school, sometimes with promises that they would have no further contact with children. Church documents reveal with disturbing clarity that the Archdiocese was more concerned with avoiding scandal and negative publicity than it was with protecting children."

In total, the state found, more than "600 children are known to have been abused by the 156 people included in this Report, but the number is likely far higher."

The sexual abuse was so pervasive, it wasn't uncommon for a young victim to be targeted by more than one adult, according to the report.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/maryland-ag-documents-widespread-sexual-abuse-least-600-victims-baltim-rcna78378

Just seems like to me, an outsider looking in, that a God who would stand by and allow that to happen in his name, wouldn't be something worthy of worshipping or loving. It almost seems like that God is a figment of peoples imagination when stuff like this comes to light

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #890 on: April 20, 2023, 10:08:45 PM »
is this even debatable in 2023?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #891 on: April 20, 2023, 10:09:48 PM »

Hope you are still doing well. If you need anything, PM me

DIABOLIC

• Getbig II
« Reply #892 on: May 15, 2023, 02:39:19 PM »
Why do people pray when we have data available on health, financial etc circumstances of religious vs non religious people. Generally speaking religious people have worse lives and lower IQ. What good does praying do?

If you have a deep desire to submit to a higher/imaginary entity you are technically a beta male. No ifs or buts about it.

It always makes my day brighter when I realise there are so many people out there who believe in things like heaven, hell, souls etc. Morons help you get ahead in life.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #893 on: May 16, 2023, 01:50:08 AM »
Why do people pray when we have data available on health, financial etc circumstances of religious vs non religious people. Generally speaking religious people have worse lives and lower IQ. What good does praying do?

If you have a deep desire to submit to a higher/imaginary entity you are technically a beta male. No ifs or buts about it.

It always makes my day brighter when I realise there are so many people out there who believe in things like heaven, hell, souls etc. Morons help you get ahead in life.
I don't know if religious people have worse lives. Atheists are much more likely to be depressed, commit suicide or homicide.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #894 on: May 16, 2023, 10:02:36 PM »
I don't know if religious people have worse lives. Atheists are much more likely to be depressed, commit suicide or homicide.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/talking-about-men/201812/the-mental-health-atheists-and-the-nones

Not so fast...

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #895 on: May 16, 2023, 10:06:28 PM »

Atheists tend to have more education. I don't know if that equates to IQ

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-human-beast/201402/why-are-educated-people-more-likely-be-atheists

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #896 on: May 17, 2023, 12:20:43 AM »
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/talking-about-men/201812/the-mental-health-atheists-and-the-nones

Not so fast...
That study says that atheists have better mental health than "nones" which means non religious. It also states that religious people have better mental health.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #897 on: May 17, 2023, 07:04:33 PM »
That study says that atheists have better mental health than "nones" which means non religious. It also states that religious people have better mental health.

"For example, a just-published study by Dr. Joseph Baker at East Tennessee State University indicates that atheists have the best mental health among the "nones," similar to that of the highly-religious. In contrast, "non-affiliated theists" had the poorest mental health."

It just seems your "atheists are much more likely to be depressed commit suicide...." doesn't jive with the study. "Similar to that of the highly religious" means atheists and highly religious are about the same. 

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #898 on: May 18, 2023, 12:27:37 PM »

Just disgusting....those poor kiddos.  I can imagine being a Daddy to one of those kids.  I can imagine my own teenage daughter being a victim and the sadness and rage I would feel.

We had a newly hired youth pastor that made "advances" at a young boy in our church.  Fortunately the kiddo was brave enough to take action and this "pastor" had charges pressed against him.

Another church I grew up in had a new lead pastor that had an adulterous relationship with a woman in the administration staff of the church.  He was found out, refused council and left.

A lot of garbage, imposters out there in church leadership.  Lot of theological heresy. Just a lot of anti-God folks cleverly disguised in piety.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #899 on: May 18, 2023, 12:31:46 PM »

Hope you are still doing well. If you need anything, PM me

Hey brother doin well!!  Work pace been unrelenting but God willing I'm surviving 👍