Author Topic: Prayer and Religion in Public Life  (Read 634746 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Prayer and Religion in Public Life
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2008, 05:15:30 PM »
It's nice to know that prayer isn't suppressed everywhere.  Thanks for posting, bro!   ;)

No problem mang.  It's everywhere.   :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2008, 05:15:27 PM »
Recently received an e-mail inviting me to a prayer session for Hawaii's businesses.  Impressive list of participants.  It includes some of the largest businesses in Hawaii. 

HisBiz Ministries - A Christian Business Marketplace Ministry in Honolulu, Hawaii | www.HisBizWeb.org

Business Gate Prayer Session
Friday, May 16, 2008 @ 12:00-1:00 p.m.
Downtown Honolulu YWCA
1040 Richards St., 3rd floor

You're invited! Please join us as we pray specifically for God's covering and blessing upon each company and transformation of our workplaces in our State. Gathering in the name of Jesus, business people from companies and organizations across Hawaii unite in fellowship and prayer:

24 Hour Fitness
Adecco
Agor Architecture
Alexander & Baldwin
Anthology Marketing Group
Ascribe Data Systems
C12 Group
Cades Schutte
China Light
Consolidated Painting LLC
Core Systems Hawaii
Department of Business and Economic Development
Empowered Internet Solutions
FCA-Hawaii
First Hawaiian Bank
Group 70 International
Hawaii Dental Service
Hawaii Pacific Health
Hawaiian Electric Industries
Hawaiian Telecom
Honolulu City Council
IFC Corp
Kaneohe Ranch
Klevansky Piper Van Etten, LLP
KMH LLP
Laird Christianson Advertising
Lutheran Campus Ministry
McDonald's Restaurants of Hawaii
National Kidney Foundation of Hawaii
Office of the Attorney General
Office of the Lt. Governor
Pacific Lighting Service
Pacific Rim Bank
Pflueger Group
PHRI
Piilani Group
Queens Hospital
Roberts Hawaii
Sprint Hawaii
StarrTech Interactive
Tihati Productions
U.H. Poetic License
and more...

Secretaries, executives, and business professionals come together to fellowship and pray, shoulder-to-shoulder, in humility before our God to bring transformation to our companies, our workplace environment, our families, and our State. It is an extremely powerful time in the Lord's presence as we humble ourselves and continue to pray for our Hawaii and businesses that we work in.

This is not a Bible study or speaker series. Prayer is our focus. Come as you are and join us in worship and prayer to transform our workplaces for the Kingdom of Heaven.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2008, 09:17:58 AM »
It's nice to know that prayer isn't suppressed everywhere.  Thanks for posting, bro!   ;)
Private businesses can remove prayer from the workplace.

Government can remove proselytizing prayer from government funded locations and entities.

I mean, I don't want Vishnu shoved down my throat by Uncle Sam!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2008, 09:39:42 AM »
for some reason I'm not surprised but my "opinion" (regarding methodology)  happens to be true.  Look up the term sampling error

It's been well-established on here that Beach Bum doesn't understand nor believe in statistics.

If he's talking about something, it's because it's "his opinion" and numbers be damned.

You have a conservative moderator who is anti-2nd amendment, anti-1st amendment, who doesn't understand the most common tools used here (stats and math) and who derails good threads all the time. 

Look at the pile of shit on your plate.  2/3 delicious, and 1/3 shit.  It just ruins the whole meal.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2008, 11:41:35 AM »
It's been well-established on here that Beach Bum doesn't understand nor believe in statistics.

If he's talking about something, it's because it's "his opinion" and numbers be damned.

You have a conservative moderator who is anti-2nd amendment, anti-1st amendment, who doesn't understand the most common tools used here (stats and math) and who derails good threads all the time. 

Look at the pile of shit on your plate.  2/3 delicious, and 1/3 shit.  It just ruins the whole meal.

:)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2008, 10:09:57 PM »
Both the Democrat and Republican conventions ended with prayer. 

Also, local boy gives credit where credit is due:

Updated at 6:12 p.m., Thursday, September 4, 2008

Bryan Clay tells convention his priorities are God, family, track
By Derrick DePledge
Advertiser Government Writer

ST. PAUL, Minn. — Hawai'i's Bryan Clay, a gold medalist in the decathlon at the Beijing Olympics, spoke to the Republican National Convention tonight about the importance of family values and working together.

The Castle High School graduate told delegates that while he is proud of his athletic achievement, his proudest accomplishment is being the father of Jacob and Katherine.

"For me, family values and family mean everything," Clay said of he and his wife, Sarah. "My priorities are God first, family second, track third.

"I can tell you that without faith in God and my support of my family and friends, and my strong work ethic, I would not be standing here before you today wearing this gold medal around my neck."

Clay said politicians and athletes have a lot in common because both are competitors who cannot win on their own.

He told the story of his fiercest rival, Roman Sebrle of the Czech Republic, who helped pace him through the 1,500-meter run and then celebrated Clay's victory with him afterward.

"Now the big difference between the decathlon and politics is that when my race ends, I go back home, relax, and start training for the next Olympics," he said. "But when the election ends, that's when the real work begins.

"Now whether your platform is a classroom, a conference room, a track, or the White House, we must all stay true to our principles. Whether you're a decathlete or a politician, we must stand together and believe in each other and this great nation."

Clay's appearance at the convention came out of a conversation with Gov. Linda Lingle at the state Capitol last Friday before the governor proclaimed "Bryan Clay Day," according to Lenny Klompus, the governor's senior adviser for communications.

The governor's office contacted convention organizers to help arrange Clay's appearance.

"He expressed his strong support for Sen. (John) McCain and the governor told him he would be an outstanding speaker," Klompus said.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080904/BREAKING01/80904057

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2008, 10:20:24 PM »
Every person on earth has a more direct line to god than you do... you totally know it.  :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2008, 10:25:52 PM »
Every person on earth has a more direct line to god than you do... you totally know it.  :)

What?  lol.  Have no idea what you're talking about. 

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2008, 10:31:27 PM »
What?  lol.  Have no idea what you're talking about. 

Well you do need a vacation from this place.  :)  Even die hard libs wouldn't be here as much as you are.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2008, 10:34:39 PM »
Well you do need a vacation from this place.  :)  Even die hard libs wouldn't be here as much as you are.

lol.  You're babbling Deedee.  Are you sleepy or something?  What does whatever point you're trying to make have to do with prayer and religion in public life?   

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2008, 10:48:20 PM »
lol.  You're babbling Deedee.  Are you sleepy or something?  What does whatever point you're trying to make have to do with prayer and religion in public life?   

I am?  It has to do with this... even I as a child knew that anyone who prays for personal reasons is lost. You're a fool BB if you think God favors you because you are you. And you're right.  I'm tired.  :)  You are the worst person on getbig. You are only here to change people. How is that anti homo thing working for you?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2008, 10:52:54 PM »
I am?  It has to do with this... even I as a child knew that anyone who prays for personal reasons is lost. You're a fool BB if you think God favors you because you are you. And you're right.  I'm tired.  :)  You are the worst person on getbig. You are only here to change people. How is that anti homo thing working for you?

Yawn.   ::)  I'm not going to start denying invented facts, because that would make me as ignorant as you.  Buenos noches.  :)

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2008, 10:56:10 PM »
Yawn.   ::)  I'm not going to start denying invented facts, because that would make me as ignorant as you.  Buenos noches.  :)

Good... go think about it.  ;)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2008, 10:56:56 PM »
Good... go think about it.  ;)

No.   :-*

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2008, 11:04:39 PM »
No.   :-*

i love you.   :)

And hope to not change you.  : Just make you be more loving of those around you of your own choice.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2008, 11:08:00 PM »
i love you.   :)

And hope to not change you.  : Just make you be more loving of those around you of your own choice.

And you know so much about me.  Tell me more.  (Not.) 

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2008, 11:25:31 PM »
And you know so much about me.  Tell me more.  (Not.) 

Well I do like you BB, for all your faults.  :) I like you very much actually, but how come you don't spend more time with your daughters?  You come here like it's a religion. Just a question.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2008, 12:09:20 AM »
Well I do like you BB, for all your faults.  :) I like you very much actually, but how come you don't spend more time with your daughters?  You come here like it's a religion. Just a question.

Reminds me of the time you queried why people talk about abortion on a political discussion board.  Now you're asking me why I post on a political discussion board?  Because I like to talk politics? 

How much time do I spend with my daughters?  lol . . . You crack me up.   :)

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2008, 12:15:38 AM »
Both the Democrat and Republican conventions ended with prayer. 

That is a relief. I remember when I was a member of the FCA, and it was just amazing how some individuals were against us saying a prayer before and after games.

I don't think I see many teams in High School or College pray these days, not talking about the touchdown prays either

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2008, 12:27:15 AM »
That is a relief. I remember when I was a member of the FCA, and it was just amazing how some individuals were against us saying a prayer before and after games.

I don't think I see many teams in High School or College pray these days, not talking about the touchdown prays either

Check out page 2 of this thread.  There is a link and a story talking about prayer, June Jones, and the UH football team. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2008, 10:57:33 AM »
Prayer is still a part of the UH football team:

After fulfilling academic obligations, Graunke was reinstated to the team a week before the Aug. 30 opener against Florida.

"It feels great," said Graunke, a fifth-year senior who spent the past three seasons as Colt Brennan's understudy. "I want to do my part for the team. If I'm the best guy for the team, which (the coaches have) decided, then that's the case. The Lord's blessed me with those talents and gifts. I'm playing for the team."

At the end of every practice, several Warriors gather in a circle and kneel in prayer. After Thursday's practice, linebacker Solomon Elimimian invited Graunke to join the circle — an action that also proved to be symbolic.

"I respect him for coming back and working hard and not giving up," said center John Estes, one of the four team captains. "I know a lot of people in that situation would have given up. He already had my respect even before he went through all of that. I was here when he was the quarterback and Colt kind of took his (starting) spot. I had respect for him when he was second string. He won some games for us last year. I know he's ready to play."

. . .

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080913/SPORTS0201/809130340/1032

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2009, 12:22:12 PM »
Florida QB makes 'John 3:16' hottest Google search
Tebow inscribed Bible reference on eye black for championship game
Posted: January 09, 2009
11:35 am Eastern

© 2009 WorldNetDaily

Florida quarterback Tim Tebow blazes New Testament verse of John 3:16 on his face last night after he led the Gators to the BCS National Championship

"John 3:16" has appeared in various forms at nationally televised sporting events over the years, but after University of Florida quarterback Tim Tebow inscribed it on his eye black for last night's BCS National Championship game, the biblical reference became the most popular search item on Google.com.

Google Trends this morning had "John 3:16" ahead of searches for actress Mary Lynn Rajskub and the Windows 7 beta download. Searches for the Bible verse reached a peak during last night's game.

In previous games, Tebow, an outspoken evangelical Christian who was born to missionary parents in the Philippines, sported on his eye black Philippians 4:13, notes Christianity Today. The verse says, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

The well-known verse John 3:16 is commonly presented as a summation of the Gospel: "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Tebow, who won the Heisman Trophy last year as a sophomore, led the Gators to a 24-14 victory last night over the University of Oklahoma.

Tebow and his four siblings were homeschooled by their parents, but a Florida law allowed him to play football for a public school team. He was named Florida's high school Player of the Year in both his junior and senior seasons and developed a reputation for toughness, finishing a game with a broken leg.

Google users, at one point, searched for "John 3:16" more than any other term

In an interview last year with the Florida Baptist Witness, Tebow said football is not even the third most important thing in his life.

"I am fortunate to have family members, coaches and teammates around who can help me stay focused on the right things for us to be successful," he said. "For me, every day includes four things: God, family, academics and football, in that order."

Tebow's "John 3:16" display last night drew attention in the blogosphere.

William Lobdell, author of "Losing My Religion: How I Lost My Faith Reporting on Religion in America - and Found Unexpected Peace," had a mixed reaction.

But he concluded: "I have to wonder if his coaches or NCAA officials would allow him to have 'There Is' 'No God' written on his eye black below his right and left eyes.

"I imagine that these personal slogans will soon be banned," he wrote.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=85729

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2009, 05:22:04 PM »
Class act.  He was great for the game.  Will be missed. 

Dungy will focus on family and faith
By Chris Mortensen
ESPN.com
Archive

Jason Bridge/US Presswire

Tony Dungy is ready to spend more time with his family at their home in Tampa, Fla.It was late Saturday night and the words flowed from Tony Dungy's lips like water from a spring. He was quoting his favorite book; not his best-selling "Quiet Strength," but, naturally, the Bible.

"I'm at a point, kind of like the Apostle Paul," explained Dungy, "he said, 'If I live, it's good. If I die and go home with the Lord, it's better.'"

Dungy sounded like a man who was prepared to go home -- in this case, Dungy will go home to his wife, Lauren, and family in Tampa, as well as home in an earthly sense to do what he calls the Lord's work with various ministry outreach programs that include work with troubled youths and convicted prisoners. For Dungy, right now, it is better to walk away from the game.

. . . .

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=mortensen_chris&id=3827287

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2009, 02:06:40 PM »
Obama's Day Starts With Church, Coffee with Bush

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:13 AM

WASHINGTON — As massive crowds swarmed the National Mall on Tuesday to witness Barack Obama's inauguration as president, the man at the center of the maelstrom began the day quietly and reverently, at a church service across the street from the White House.

Obama and his family attended a private service at St. John's Episcopal Church, a tradition for those about to become president. The family of Vice President-elect Joe Biden also attended.

The Obamas waved to bystanders, then entered the church to applause from about 200 people. The choir and congregation began singing the hymn, "O God Our Help in Ages Past."

. . . .

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/obama_church_bush/2009/01/20/173227.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2009, 11:15:42 AM »
Obama Begins Day With National Prayer Service

By Michelle Boorstein, Debbi Wilgoren and Jacqueline L. Salmon
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, January 21, 2009; 11:32 AM

On his first full day in office, President Obama spent part of the morning at the Washington National Cathedral, placing his own stamp on the traditional National Prayer Service with a larger-than-usual group of interfaith religious leaders participating and newly written prayers meant to emphasize liberty and diversity.

The invitation-only service, which has followed presidential inaugurals in the United States on and off since George Washington's swearing-in, started just after 10 a.m. and continued for nearly an hour and a half.

Obama and first lady Michelle Obama, who wore a bold black-and-silver patterned dress, walked into the stately church with Vice President Biden and his wife, Jill Biden. They took seats in the front row alongside Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.), Obama's nominee for secretary of state, and her husband, former president Bill Clinton.

So many members of Congress were scheduled to attend the service that a markup session scheduled for attorney general nominee Eric H. Holder Jr. was postponed.

The list of 20 clergy participating in the service included Rev. Samuel Lloyd, dean of the cathedral, which is the seat of the Episcopal Church in Washington; Rev. Otis Moss Jr., a prominent Baptist pastor whose son is pastor of Trinity United Church of Christ, Obama's former church; Washington Catholic Archbishop Donald Wuerl; Rev. Jim Wallis of the progressive group Sojourners; and several well-known Jewish, Muslim and Greek Orthodox leaders.

The District-based Children of the Gospel Choir entertained the assembled dignitaries and guests by singing "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands."

The sermon was delivered by Rev. Sharon Watkins, president of the Protestant denomination Disciples of Christ in North America and the first woman to have such a prominent role in the post-inaugural prayer service.

Watkins quoted a wide range of religious leaders and traditions, from Gandhi to Islam to Cherokee Indians, urging the new president to remain focused on ethical and religious values such as common good, justice and compassion.

"In times such as these, we the people need you, the leaders of the nation, to be guided by the counsel that Isaiah gave so long ago," she said. "This is the Biblical way. It is also the American way."

She told Obama, "With your swearing-in, Mr. President, the flame of America's promise burns just a little brighter for every child in this land." There is much work to do, and some of it will "tend to draw you away from your ethical center," she said.

"But we need you to hold the ground of your deepest values, of our deepest values," Watkins said. "We need you to stay focused on our shared hopes, so that we can continue to hope, too. We will follow your lead."

Moss, offering a prayer in his rich baritone, asked God to "teach us each day that we live in a nation of neighbors on an island commissioned to glorify your name, in a community that is global. We have been taught through your servant that we are all connected, impacted by what we do and what we refuse to do."

. . . .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2009/01/21/ST2009012101096.html