Author Topic: IroNat  (Read 292361 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
Re: IroNat
« Reply #375 on: August 06, 2019, 02:19:11 PM »
8/6/19

Some high rep bodybuilding today.

Standing calf raises - 3x15
Seated calf raises - 3x15
Leg extensions - 3x15
Leg curls - 3x15
Box squats - 3x15
Bench press - 3x15
Wide lat pulldowns - 3x15
Behind neck press - 3x15
Barbell rows - 3x15
Tricep pushdowns - 3x12-15
Close grip EZ curls - 3x15
Grip stuff

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #376 on: August 06, 2019, 04:08:38 PM »
8/6/19

Some high rep bodybuilding today.

Standing calf raises - 3x15
Leg extensions - 3x15
Leg curls - 3x15
Box squats - 3x15
Bench press - 3x15
Behind neck press - 3x15
Barbell rows - 3x15
Tricep pushdowns - 3x12-15
Close grip EZ curls - 3x15
Grip stuff

Seems like a solid all body workout. How long does this routine take?

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #377 on: August 07, 2019, 04:43:02 AM »
Seems like a solid all body workout. How long does this routine take?

I didn't pay attention to the clock but I'd say 1 1/2 hours.  33 sets plus grip work.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #378 on: August 07, 2019, 11:56:05 AM »
I didn't pay attention to the clock but I'd say 1 1/2 hours.  33 sets plus grip work.

That would be too long a workout for me. I try to keep them to 45 minutes.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #379 on: August 14, 2019, 08:16:10 AM »
8/14/19

Power clean & press - 3x8-10
Seated calf - 3x15-20
Bodyweight squats - 3x15
Bench press - 3x15
DB side lateral raises - 3x20
DB rear lateral raises - 3x20
Wide lat pulldowns - 3x10-15
DB alternate curls - 3x10-15
Tricep pushdowns - 3x8-12
Grip stuff

Took a week off.  Left knee has been hurting.  Had a cortisone shot.  Some improvement but not great.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #380 on: August 14, 2019, 04:18:33 PM »
That cortisone shot sounds painful.  Looks like you had a hard workout. Hope your knee comes around. Injuries take so much time when someone gets to our age. My Achilles took 3 months and it still slightly bugs me.  I thought it would never get better. Hope your knee isn't a chronic condition that won't heal.

If I can offer one opinion on body weight squats. If you get sloppy with them they can tweak the knee. Talking about the way Cross fit guys do it on all those youtube videos.  Since they are going for reps for time they flop down rapidly then explode up. With your bad knee go down controlled and while you can come up with a little speed but keep it controlled until your knee feels better.   I had to temporarily stop body weight squats because I got a little sloppy in the latter reps. Noticed my knees were bugging me and after stopping them I felt better. I will be going back to them because they are an amazing exercise.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #381 on: August 14, 2019, 05:02:36 PM »
That cortisone shot sounds painful.  Looks like you had a hard workout. Hope your knee comes around. Injuries take so much time when someone gets to our age. My Achilles took 3 months and it still slightly bugs me.  I thought it would never get better. Hope your knee isn't a chronic condition that won't heal.

If I can offer one opinion on body weight squats. If you get sloppy with them they can tweak the knee. Talking about the way Cross fit guys do it on all those youtube videos.  Since they are going for reps for time they flop down rapidly then explode up. With your bad knee go down controlled and while you can come up with a little speed but keep it controlled until your knee feels better.   I had to temporarily stop body weight squats because I got a little sloppy in the latter reps. Noticed my knees were bugging me and after stopping them I felt better. I will be going back to them because they are an amazing exercise.

I've had several cortisone shots over the years.  Two in my right knee but this is the first in my left knee which is my "good" knee.
They don't hurt really to get because they numb the area where the needle goes.  It is a fairly big needle and the syringe is big also.  They pump a lot in there!

I'm not needle or blood phobic but some people are and might freak when they see the needle.

Not sure really how I hurt my knee.  I seem to recall rotating my car tires a couple months ago and landing hard on the knee.  Hard to recall but that could have started this problem as the knee is irritated under the kneecap.  It has been off and on bothering me.  Had x-rays and the joint is in good shape which is good news.  Lots of space in the joint.

The cortisone shot will reduce the inflammation and hopefully allow the knee to settle down.

Thanks for the advice about the squats.  I did them carefully and not fast.  Took ibuprofen today also as I'm still having pain.  I rarely take it.

I had a cortisone shot last year for my right knee and it worked great so I'm a little bummed this one did not seem to work as well but perhaps it needs more time to work.

Time heals all wounds.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #382 on: August 14, 2019, 06:44:24 PM »
I've had several cortisone shots over the years.  Two in my right knee but this is the first in my left knee which is my "good" knee.
They don't hurt really to get because they numb the area where the needle goes.  It is a fairly big needle and the syringe is big also.  They pump a lot in there!

I'm not needle or blood phobic but some people are and might freak when they see the needle.

Not sure really how I hurt my knee.  I seem to recall rotating my car tires a couple months ago and landing hard on the knee.  Hard to recall but that could have started this problem as the knee is irritated under the kneecap.  It has been off and on bothering me.  Had x-rays and the joint is in good shape which is good news.  Lots of space in the joint.

The cortisone shot will reduce the inflammation and hopefully allow the knee to settle down.

Thanks for the advice about the squats.  I did them carefully and not fast.  Took ibuprofen today also as I'm still having pain.  I rarely take it.

I had a cortisone shot last year for my right knee and it worked great so I'm a little bummed this one did not seem to work as well but perhaps it needs more time to work.

Time heals all wounds.

I had plenty of cortisone shots to my foot because of nerve damage. It was a long and thick needle put through the top of the foot. I thought it was really painful.  Maybe because of the nerve damage to my foot. On one shot he went too far and the needle came out the bottom of my foot. He said, "Oops!" I yelled in a pitch only Coyotes can hear.  That foot double Morton's Neuroma nerve damage took 6 months to heal and plenty of cortisone shots.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #383 on: August 15, 2019, 03:30:58 AM »
I had plenty of cortisone shots to my foot because of nerve damage. It was a long and thick needle put through the top of the foot. I thought it was really painful.  Maybe because of the nerve damage to my foot. On one shot he went too far and the needle came out the bottom of my foot. He said, "Oops!" I yelled in a pitch only Coyotes can hear.  That foot double Morton's Neuroma nerve damage took 6 months to heal and plenty of cortisone shots.

Yikes!  Through the foot!  :o

I forgot I had a cortisone shot in my foot once for plantars fascitis.  Helped tremendously.

I wish there were painkillers that did not have negative side effects.  You have to be careful with NSAIDs or acetominophen.

The doctor said I could get a cortisone shot every 3 months if I wanted. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #384 on: August 15, 2019, 03:48:50 AM »
Yikes!  Through the foot!  :o

I forgot I had a cortisone shot in my foot once for plantars fascitis.  Helped tremendously.

I wish there were painkillers that did not have negative side effects.  You have to be careful with NSAIDs or acetominophen.

The doctor said I could get a cortisone shot every 3 months if I wanted. 

Too much cortisone will break down connective tissue. When it works it works incredibly well. I had one for plantar fascitis and one shot was all it took. The nerve damage took about 4 or 5 shots before it healed.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #385 on: August 15, 2019, 04:21:18 AM »
Too much cortisone will break down connective tissue. When it works it works incredibly well. I had one for plantar fascitis and one shot was all it took. The nerve damage took about 4 or 5 shots before it healed.

I've read that about cortisone and questioned the doc about that.

Apparently it is acceptable.  Not something I want to do.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/cortisone-shots/about/pac-20384794

"Limits on the number of cortisone shots

There's concern that repeated cortisone shots might cause the cartilage within a joint to deteriorate. So doctors typically limit the number of cortisone shots into a joint.

In general, you shouldn't get cortisone injections more often than every six weeks and usually not more than three or four times a year."

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #386 on: August 16, 2019, 07:34:41 AM »
8/16/19

DB muscle clean & press - 3x6-12
Seated calf raises - 3x12-15
Bodyweight squats - 4x15
Leg curls - 3x15
Bench press - 3x8-12
Side db laterals - 2x15
Rear db laterals - 2x15
Wide lat pulldowns - 3x8-15
Dips - 2x15
DB rows - 3x15
Alternate db curls - 3x8-12
Grip stuff

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #387 on: August 16, 2019, 07:37:20 AM »
That would be too long a workout for me. I try to keep them to 45 minutes.

45 minutes is good.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #388 on: August 18, 2019, 10:45:08 AM »
8/18/19

Squat cleans - 3x3
Seated calf raises - 3x12-15
Bodyweight squats - 4x15
Leg curls - 3x15
Seated barbell press (no back support) - 3x10-12
Bench press - 3x7-12
Side db laterals - 2x15
Rear db laterals - 2x15
Dips - 2x15
Wide lat pulldowns - 3x12-15
DB rows - 3x15
Standing alternate db curls - 3x8-10
Grip stuff

Music:

Yngwie Malmsteen - Eclipse
Megadeath - Peace Sells... but Who's Buying?

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #389 on: August 21, 2019, 08:42:32 AM »
8/21/19

Standing db press - 12,12,10,8
High pulls from floor - 3x3 heavy sets
Bodyweight squats - 3x15
Leg curls - 3x15
Bench press - 6,6,3,10,12
Wide lat pulldowns - 15,15,20
Dips - 2x15
Side db raises - 2x15
Rear db raises - 2x15
Alternate db curls up and down rack
Grip stuff

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #390 on: August 23, 2019, 01:26:01 PM »
8/23/19

Seated barbell press - 6x8-12
Barbell rows - 3x12
Barbell squats - 3x15
Leg curls - 3x15
Dips - 3x15
Incline db flyes - 3x15
Spider curls - 5x15
Seated calf raises - 6x15
Grip stuff

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #391 on: August 23, 2019, 06:42:21 PM »
8/23/19

Seated barbell press - 6x8-12
Barbell rows - 3x12
Barbell squats - 3x15
Leg curls - 3x15
Dips - 3x15
Incline db flyes - 3x15
Spider curls - 5x15
Grip stuff

Only one of the gyms I workout at has a piece of equipment specifically designed to work your grip and forearms. It is easier and safer to use than some other method of working one's grip. My grip is shit however, carpel tunnel and arthritis has really fucked it up. This is one of the main reasons I favor machines as opposed to free weights. I never know when I'll get a severe cramp that causes me to lose my grip.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #392 on: August 24, 2019, 03:45:19 AM »
Only one of the gyms I workout at has a piece of equipment specifically designed to work your grip and forearms. It is easier and safer to use than some other method of working one's grip. My grip is shit however, carpel tunnel and arthritis has really fucked it up. This is one of the main reasons I favor machines as opposed to free weights. I never know when I'll get a severe cramp that causes me to lose my grip.

Thanks for stopping by, Prime.

Hand problems can certainly derail training.  I have had trigger finger problems in the past.  I have a slight trigger finger now which I'm careful with.

I don't have any sure solutions.

I'm sure you are aware of the following but I'll post them anyway.

This exercise is often suggested using a rubberband to work the opposing muscles of the hand which are often neglected.

Another exercise is to take a thin towel or rag (a golf towel works well) and using only your fingers, gather it up into your hand.  Repeat until you feel a burn.
Do 3-4 times a week but not everyday.  This can also be done with newspaper but who still gets the newspaper?  I took a thin kitchen towel and cut it in half.
This really gets the blood into your hand and forearm.

Just squeezing a soft towel is a good hand exercise too.  Wringing/twisting a towel also.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #393 on: August 25, 2019, 10:29:12 AM »
8/25/19

Muscle cleans - 5x3
Bench press - 3x10-12
DB pullovers - 3x20
Side db raises - 3x15
Barbell rows - 3x12
Leg curls - 3x15
Seated incline db curls - 6x8-15
Grip stuff

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #394 on: August 25, 2019, 12:51:33 PM »
Thanks for stopping by, Prime.

Hand problems can certainly derail training.  I have had trigger finger problems in the past.  I have a slight trigger finger now which I'm careful with.

I don't have any sure solutions.

I'm sure you are aware of the following but I'll post them anyway.

This exercise is often suggested using a rubberband to work the opposing muscles of the hand which are often neglected.

Another exercise is to take a thin towel or rag (a golf towel works well) and using only your fingers, gather it up into your hand.  Repeat until you feel a burn.
Do 3-4 times a week but not everyday.  This can also be done with newspaper but who still gets the newspaper?  I took a thin kitchen towel and cut it in half.
This really gets the blood into your hand and forearm.

Just squeezing a soft towel is a good hand exercise too.  Wringing/twisting a towel also.

I'm off to the store to buy some rubber bands for my hands.  :)

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #395 on: August 25, 2019, 03:18:57 PM »
From the hands to the back...

My own experience is that high pulls and cleans of all types are great for building the traps, upper back, and lower back.  Also as a builder of overall body power, not just strength.  Even the legs get involved if you pull from the floor.

John Grimek sometimes referred to the clean as the "fast deadlift".  You can use lower poundage than the deadlift but the speed of the lift compensates for it.

I like sets of 2-3 reps and number of sets anywhere from 3 to 10.  In a full-body routine a lower amount of sets like 3 to 5 because you have the rest of the body to train also.  Higher sets if you are splitting the body up and can afford the time.

Pulls and cleans have been really good for my lower back too.  

As with any exercise, use common sense and start light.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #396 on: August 28, 2019, 12:38:16 PM »
8/28/19

1 leg calf raises - 6x8-15
Squat cleans - 3x3
Seated barbell press - 3x10-12
DB pullovers - 2x20
DB side raises - 2x15
Wide lat pulldowns - 2x15
DB rows - 2x12
DB incline curls - 3x6-10
Grip stuff

Felt tired today so did less.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #397 on: August 28, 2019, 12:48:27 PM »
High pulls are a tremendous exercise. I remember being three years removed from being a sprinter on the college track team. I lifted but no sprinting. I always included high pulls using speed. I didn't even go heavy and stayed around 225lbs. They had a Police/Fire Olympics that included a 100 yard dash (showing my age but there was no 100 meters back then). I blew the field away. I attributed it to high pulls, semi stiff legged deadlifts and squats. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #398 on: August 28, 2019, 01:24:51 PM »
High pulls are a tremendous exercise. I remember being three years removed from being a sprinter on the college track team. I lifted but no sprinting. I always included high pulls using speed. I didn't even go heavy and stayed around 225lbs. They had a Police/Fire Olympics that included a 100 yard dash (showing my age but there was no 100 meters back then). I blew the field away. I attributed it to high pulls, semi stiff legged deadlifts and squats. 

Yes, they are a great exercise.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #399 on: August 30, 2019, 07:46:27 AM »
8/30/19

1 leg calf raises - 6 sets max reps with bodyweight
Squat cleans - sets of 3 to top set
Bench press - sets of 6 to a top set
DB pullovers - 2x20
Upright rows - 2x12
Wide lat pulldowns - 2x15
Bodyweight squats - 6x15
Concentration curls - 6x12
Grip stuff