Author Topic: IroNat  (Read 292365 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: IroNat
« Reply #725 on: September 19, 2020, 01:57:50 PM »
I've never done belt squats nor do I remember ever seeing anyone do them. They look interesting and from what I read can be very beneficial. Supposedly they are better for one's spine. I'll have to give them a try. Seems there are many ways to do them. I like how they are done in the photo below. Seems better than having plates swinging between one's legs.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #726 on: September 19, 2020, 04:57:39 PM »
That's one way to do them with a landmine.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #727 on: September 19, 2020, 05:33:55 PM »
Although I worked quads and calves today, I did not try hanging squats.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #728 on: September 20, 2020, 05:57:30 PM »
I have tried to keep up with this and Oldtimer's thread over the last few weeks as I find them inspiring.  I was given the okay by doctors to begin light exercise again.  That was Friday and I waited until today to actually start.

Five pound laterals for 5 sets of 10.
Five pound bent over laterals for 5 sets of 10.
20 pound machine shoulder press for 5 sets of 10.
5 sets of ten barbell curls with 20 pounds.
5 sets of ten tricep pushdowns with 20 pounds.

This took about 45 minutes to complete and I didn't fall over once even though I had our dog's large bed nearby in case I became dizzy and could control myself enough to fall on it. ;D  The pooch left the garage as I don't think he likes it much when I fall over.

I do not desire pity as I know far worse off folks from the hospitals.  I just want to join in with Nat and OT in their threads from time to time.  I will have to strengthen my good leg as I need it to stabilize me.  I will try single leg extensions and leg curls as I have a machine for that.  Ugh.

Be well gentlemen and know that I am honest in that reading your journals is fun and motivational!

And yes, I am quite crabby lately where "politics" are concerned but I shall endeavor to persevere  and not do that here as I respect both Nat and OT.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #729 on: September 20, 2020, 07:32:57 PM »
I have tried to keep up with this and Oldtimer's thread over the last few weeks as I find them inspiring.  I was given the okay by doctors to begin light exercise again.  That was Friday and I waited until today to actually start.

This took about 45 minutes to complete and I didn't fall over once even though I had our dog's large bed nearby in case I became dizzy and could control myself enough to fall on it. ;D  The pooch left the garage as I don't think he likes it much when I fall over.

I do not desire pity as I know far worse off folks from the hospitals.  I just want to join in with Nat and OT in their threads from time to time.  I will have to strengthen my good leg as I need it to stabilize me.  I will try single leg extensions and leg curls as I have a machine for that.  Ugh.

Be well gentlemen and know that I am honest in that reading your journals is fun and motivational!

And yes, I am quite crabby lately where "politics" are concerned but I shall endeavor to persevere  and not do that here as I respect both Nat and OT.

You deserve a lot of credit for perseverance. You keep getting knocked down and you always come back for more. I admire that about you. Other people would just give up. Not you. Your commitment in the face of discouragement is inspirational. If I ever ask myself what is the point in staying fit when I am 76 years old and people my age are dying everyday, people like you keep me going. So thank you, because I feel great and right now feel like I might live forever.

I used to think the best way to die would be to do it in my sleep. Maybe an even better way is during a great workout. Going out doing what I love may be the ultimate end to my or anyone's life.

Crazy side note....my little Rat Terrier puppy, Lucy is going to be 14 years old on Halloween . She's been spry up until this summer. Now it seems as if she is suffering from canine dementia. Her hearing is shot (so is mine) and she has a cataract in one eye (I don't have one yet). She sleeps more of the time than she's awake (I sleep a lot too). She stands by the back door, wanting out and when you let her out, she just stands there wanting back in (I sometimes forget what I went into the kitchen for). Her appetite sucks (mine thrives). In all fairness, Lucy will likely be my last canine companion. There has almost never been a time in my life when I didn't have at least one puppy friend who was devoted to me regardless of how big of an asshole I was.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #730 on: September 21, 2020, 04:51:05 AM »
Stop by anytime, gents!

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #731 on: September 21, 2020, 07:55:06 AM »
9/21/20

Seated calf raises - 5x12
Gironda Sissy squats bodyweight - 3x15
Leg curls - 3x10
Behind neck press - 3x10
Standing db alternate curls - 3x10
Behind neck lat pulldowns with hooks - 5x12
30° Incline bench press - Pyramid 10,8,3 then back to 10
Stiff leg deadlift - 1x14
Walk with one fat grip dumbbell for 3 sets of 45 feet each hand.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You'd think these would kill your knees but they don't.  I hang on to the power rack while doing them.  They're hard to do as the movement is unusual.  Funny he talks about keeping his elbows high but then drops them way down doing the exercise.

Go to 3:20

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #732 on: September 21, 2020, 07:00:36 PM »

Keep fighting the good fight. Do what you can do.  Not relevance to your situation except to show how others adapted. I saw a bunch of old guys all well over 70 at the beach's closest road. They met for early bike rides. None had a typical road bike with skinny high pressure tires. They all had comfortable hybrid bikes. They all rode for miles every day. In their earlier days they were runners but now this is their cardio. I bet they wished they could still meet for runs but this is their life now.

Your approach is the correct one. Light weights and multiple sets. Nothing wakes up muscle memory like that method. Hope you regain more function.  I have a feeling you will if you keep up this rehab.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #733 on: September 22, 2020, 07:28:48 AM »
9/22/20

Isometric incline press, standing press behind neck, bar curl.

Grip work - grip machine, wrist curls, pinch grip

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #734 on: September 23, 2020, 11:06:26 AM »
9/23/20

Something a little different today to mix things up.

Donkey calf raises - 4x20
Sissy squats - 3x15
Belt squats - 1x12 superset Leg curl - 1x10
Giant set: Behind neck press / Side db raises / Rear db laterals / Upright rows - all 1x12
Giant set: Behind neck lat pulldown  / Db rows / Front lat pulldown / Straight arm lat machine pulldown / Stiff leg deadlift- all 1x12
Giant set: Incline barbell press / Incline db fly / Flat db fly / Decline db fly - all 1x12
Tricep pushdowns - 4x12
Giant set: Standing db alternate curls / Wide grip barbell curls / Narrow grip barbell curls / Db concentration curls - all 1x12
Farmers walk with fat grip dumbbells.
Block pinch each hand

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #735 on: September 23, 2020, 12:35:51 PM »
Great part about working out at home is the ability to do super sets, giant sets and tri sets. I haven't done super sets in ages. Maybe it's about time.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #736 on: September 23, 2020, 12:37:58 PM »
Great part about working out at home is the ability to do super sets, giant sets and tri sets. I haven't done super sets in ages. Maybe it's about time.
Yes, some benefits.  Once in awhile it's good to change things up.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #737 on: September 23, 2020, 03:30:19 PM »
I do my farmers walks two tricep bars with a fatgrip.  I have two 50 lb plates on each one and with the fat grip it is pretty difficult.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #738 on: September 23, 2020, 04:44:35 PM »
Speaking of trying to hold onto stuff the commercial gym I trained at on vacations I couldn't do deadlifts. The bars were fat and really smooth. I couldn't hold on to the bar. I've run into this before with commercial gyms. They spare no expense on flooring, machines, mirrors and fancy locker rooms. Then they skimp on barbells the most.  Just junk barbells that should be thrown out. They could buy quality bars for $500 but they seem to buy bars from an exercise equipment used warehouse. Some of these bars look 40 plus years old and they were junk when they were new.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #739 on: September 26, 2020, 08:15:09 AM »
9/26/20

Seated calf raises - 7x12
Reverse calf raises with bodyweight - 2xMax Reps
Gironda Sissy squats holding empty bar - 3x15
Leg curls - 3x10
Behind neck press - 3x10
Bent over rear db laterals - 1xmax reps
Behind neck lat pulldowns with hooks - 3x12
30° Incline bench press - 3x10
Alternate db rows - 3x12
Stiff leg deadlift - 1x18
Standing db alternate curls - 3x10 superset Tricep pushdowns - 3x12
Handgripper - 3 sets max reps
Carry heavy bag back and forth a couple times.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #740 on: September 27, 2020, 02:29:02 PM »
I do my farmers walks two tricep bars with a fatgrip.  I have two 50 lb plates on each one and with the fat grip it is pretty difficult.

Is there an advantage to using the fatgrip?

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #741 on: September 27, 2020, 03:17:58 PM »
Is there an advantage to using the fatgrip?
It makes it difficult to hold on to.  In theory increase grip strength. The grip fails first when doing these.  Carrying heavy objects has a very practical carryover to useful strength.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #742 on: September 27, 2020, 03:59:03 PM »
It makes it difficult to hold on to.  In theory increase grip strength. The grip fails first when doing these.  Carrying heavy objects has a very practical carryover to useful strength.

No wonder just the thought of doing these made my arthritic hands ache.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #743 on: September 27, 2020, 06:07:31 PM »
No wonder just the thought of doing these made my arthritic hands ache.

Actually, using fat grips is easier on the hands than grabbing a hard thinner bar. 

You can't close the hand to the same degree and damage the tendons.  Plus the fat grip has some give to it since it's a dense foam.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #744 on: September 28, 2020, 12:51:00 PM »
9/28/20

Donkey calf raises - 6x20
Belt squats - 3x12
Sissy squats - 3x15
Leg curls - 3x8-10
Behind neck press - 3x10
Rear db laterals - 3x10
Behind neck lat pulldown - 3x12
Incline barbell press - 3x8-10
Alternate db rows - 3x12
Standing Alternate db curls - 3x10 superset Tricep pushdowns - 3x12
Suitcase carry

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #745 on: September 30, 2020, 01:34:15 PM »
9/30/20

Alternated sets of arms with legs for a change and skipped the incline press and did flat flyes. 

Leg curls - 3x10
Hack squats holding barbell - 5x15
EZ bar curls sets of 10 supersetted with Tricep pushdowns sets of 12 (alternating sets with above leg exercises)
Behind neck press - 3x10 alternated with...
Behind neck lat pulldowns - 3x12
Seated calf raises - 6x12
Flat db flyes - 3x10 superset Alternate db rows - 3x12
Stiff leg deadlift - 1x20
Wrist curls - 3 sets max reps each way
Block pinch singles to a max

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #746 on: September 30, 2020, 03:57:46 PM »
9/26/20

Alternated sets of arms with legs for a change and skipped the incline press and did flat flyes. 

Leg curls - 3x10
Hack squats holding barbell - 5x15
EZ bar curls sets of 10 supersetted with Tricep pushdowns sets of 12 (alternating sets with above leg exercises)
Behind neck press - 3x10 alternated with...
Behind neck lat pulldowns - 3x12
Seated calf raises - 6x12
Flat db flyes - 3x10 superset Alternate db rows - 3x12
Stiff leg deadlift - 1x20
Wrist curls - 3 sets max reps each way
Block pinch singles to a max

Good job, Nat!  I haven't tired pinch grip stuff in probably years.  Thick bar is out of the question for now too, dammit! ;D

I could not do one negative dip with body weight today after doing ten sets of 5 to 40 reps on tricep pressdowns with 25 lbs. I also did 5 sets of DB curls with 15 lbs each. 

As the Beatles song goes, it's getting better all the time!  I'm going to watch the original "Invisible Man" tonight from a restored collection of Universal Blu-Rays.  My oldest brother and his wife watched it last night and he said it was the weakest of the collection so I figure after being too weak to do a single negative dip at body weight I should watch it tonight!  I know...Reaching, huh?   ;D

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #747 on: September 30, 2020, 05:24:01 PM »
Don't push it too hard, Scotty.  Slow and steady brother!

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #748 on: September 30, 2020, 05:42:05 PM »
Don't push it too hard, Scotty.  Slow and steady brother!

I will back off as you and my older brother both think the same.  I just got off the phone with him and while he rarely lifts anymore he is smarter than me.  I visited him a short time back and he gave me a pair of solid 30 lb. DBs.  I can't use them yet. ;D

Being me, I am easily made happy on simple things.  When our sister sent him the photos of me at 250 and then at 230 I got worked up and hurt myself trying to be 26 again.  Even one of the pictures with me a 195 or so pounds looked better than now.  My daughter gave me a picture of me holding her (I'm about 230 in that one)when she was the same age as her daughter is now.  Damn...I was kinda big back then.

Oh. I may have already said this but I am now a grandfather.  I have not held her and she is almost 6 months old but I don't wish to drop her.  I am sometimes dizzy and weak so it's best not to rush that.  My wife reminds me constantly though. :o  ;D

My doctors say I am doing much better and that makes me want to do more but maybe  less will be more in short run and allow me to run further this time!   Thanks, brother! ;D

Applogies for the errors. I'm having some trouble and am trying to correct some of them.  I need to call my brother in Arizona soon as I want to vist him and then our brother in northern california.   I woud like to get  to the midwest but many of my family refuse to see the Conservative goy, LOL!  My sister there is not one of them.  I am rambling. sorry! 

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #749 on: September 30, 2020, 06:20:45 PM »
No problemo, my friend.