Author Topic: Sweeping changes to Georgia elections signed into law  (Read 2084 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Sweeping changes to Georgia elections signed into law
« on: March 26, 2021, 06:51:27 AM »
https://www.ajc.com/politics/bill-changing-georgia-voting-rules-passes-state-house/EY2MATS6SRA77HTOBVEMTJLIT4/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

Changes to Georgia elections

Absentee ballots will be verified based on driver’s license numbers or other documentation instead of voter signatures.

Ballot drop boxes will only be allowed inside early voting locations and available strictly during business hours.

Weekend voting will be expanded for general elections, with two mandatory Saturdays offered statewide. Counties could also choose to offer early voting on two optional Sundays.

Early voting for runoffs will be reduced to a minimum of one week because runoffs will occur four weeks after general elections.

The deadline to request an absentee ballot will be set 11 days before election day.

Members of the public will be prohibited from distributing food or water to voters waiting in line. Election workers are allowed to set up self-service water stations for voters in line.

The State Election Board could remove county election boards and replace them with an interim elections manager.

A hotline to report illegal election activities will be set up in the attorney general’s office.

Counties will be required to certify election results within six days, instead of the 10 days currently allowed. Election workers will also be required to count ballots without stopping until they’re finished.

OzmO

• Getbig V
Re: Sweeping changes to Georgia elections signed into law
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 08:08:26 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/georgia-voting-restrictions-bill-03-25-21/h_f7830a6516f53d90e47bca2ba99ea293

It's now a crime in Georgia to approach voters in line to give them food and water

Republicans in Georgia have passed a sweeping elections bill that voting rights advocates say is a bald-faced attempt at voter suppression.

The new law imposes new voter identification requirements for absentee ballots, empowers state officials to take over local elections boards, limits the use of ballot drop boxes and makes it a crime to approach voters in line to give them food and water.

The law is seen as a win for former President Trump and his allies, who falsely claimed widespread voter fraud during the 2020 election. Trump himself pressured Georgia leaders to overturn Joe Biden's victory in the state.

President Biden has called bills like this "sick" and "un-American." Other Republican-led states are considering similar voter suppression laws, sparking calls for federal legislation to set a national baseline for voting rules.

Advocates said they were alarmed by measures that will allow any Georgian to lodge an unlimited number of challenges to voter registrations and eligibility, saying it could put a target on voters of color.

And Democrats in the Georgia Senate on Thursday lambasted measures that boot the secretary of state as chair of the state elections board and allow lawmakers to install his replacement, giving lawmakers three of five appointments.

Voting rights groups argue that granting the state new powers over county elections bucks the tradition of local control and could lead to a scenario in which state officials swoop in to prevent a county from certifying its election results.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 08:09:53 AM »
https://news.trust.org/item/20210325223236-nzehq

ATLANTA, March 25 (Reuters) - Georgia on Thursday enacted broad voting restrictions championed by Republicans that activists said aimed to curtail the influence of Black voters who were instrumental in state elections that helped Democrats win the White House and narrow control of the U.S. Senate.

As soon as Republican Governor Brian Kemp signed the law, voting rights activists vowed to challenge it. The provisions add a new ID requirement for absentee ballots and limit ballot drop boxes.

Opponents of the measure decried it as among the country's most damaging attempts to limit access to the ballot box, and said it was designed to reduce the influence of Black voters.

Kemp said he expected outrage from the political left and that he offered no apology for "taking another step to making our elections fair and secure."

He alluded to the 2020 presidential race, which prompted widespread but unsubstantiated claims of election fraud from Republicans after former President Donald Trump lost to President Joe Biden, a Democrat.

"There's no doubt there were many alarming issues with how the election was handled, and those problems led to a crisis of confidence in the ballot box here in Georgia," Kemp said.

The Georgia legislation is one of more than 250 bills Republicans have filed proposing new voting limits across the country since Trump's loss in November. It passed both the state House of Representatives and Senate on Thursday afternoon; no Democratic lawmakers voted for the measure.

Asked about Republican legislators' efforts to restrict voting access throughout the United States, Biden on Thursday called such measures "un-American."

The Georgia law will make it a misdemeanor crime to give food or drinks to voters waiting in long lines. It also will set up a fraud hotline, forbid local county elections offices from taking breaks while counting ballots and shorten the runoff election cycle from nine weeks to four weeks. It will allow the state election board the power to replace local county election boards and permit challenges to voting eligibility.

Early versions of the legislation sought to limit Sunday voting, which would have curtailed traditional "Souls to the Polls" voter turnout programs popular in Black churches. Those days were restored after Democrats pushed back, and additional Saturday voting days also were included - provisions Republicans cited as examples of the law making voting more accessible.

But Andrea Young, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Georgia, said the law "attacks absentee voting, criminalizes giving Georgians a drink of water to their neighbors (and) allows state takeover of county elections."

On Thursday, the ACLU and Georgia's state NAACP said they would consider every legal option to fight the law.

Trump battled with Republican state leaders and elections officials in Georgia for weeks after his narrow defeat, making baseless claims of election fraud that were disproved by a hand and machine recount and rejected by the courts and investigators.

On Monday, Trump endorsed a challenger looking to defeat Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger in the 2022 Republican primary. (Reporting by Rich McKay in Atlanta; Editing by Colleen Jenkins, Jonathan Oatis, Bill Berkrot and Cynthia Osterman)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 08:11:15 AM »
I don't see the big deal about providing food/water to people in line. The other stuff doesn't seem like any sort of negative changes on their surface.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 08:21:33 AM »
I don't see the big deal about providing food/water to people in line. The other stuff doesn't seem like any sort of negative changes on their surface.

yeah, I am trying to understand why this is such a big deal.  I am hoping someone can provide a reasonable viewpoint. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 10:45:19 AM »
People hand out water and then try to influence voters.

Bring your own water.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 02:07:33 PM »
People hand out water and then try to influence voters.

Bring your own water.

If water changes your vote......

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 02:39:34 PM »
If water changes your vote......

Some people are easily influenced. Particularly the elderly. People will try at the last minute to change someone's mind.

I have no problem with requiring ID to vote.

It should be required and the voting boxes should be safe and monitored.

Every vote should be verified.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 02:42:45 PM »
Some people are easily influenced. Particularly the elderly. People will try at the last minute to change someone's mind.

I agree.   

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2021, 02:48:16 PM »

I thought the same thing. Maybe it is an effort to keep people who aren't there to vote from influencing the vote of those who are. There are laws against campaigning and voter intimidation at the polls. They can be difficult to enforce if there are non voters hanging about.

In Oregon we vote by mail in the privacy of our own homes where there is water to drink and food to eat.  :) There's not much opportunity for voter intimidation or campaigning on election day. Oregon has a history of very low incidence of voter fraud. We started voting by mail in 1987 and have been voting exclusively by mail since 1998.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2021, 04:56:38 PM »

bullshit

Everything in this bill is specifically designed to suppress Democratic votes

Anyone who actually cares about Democracy would want to make it EASIER for every legal voter to cast their vote

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2021, 05:44:31 PM »
bullshit

Anyone who actually cares about Democracy would want to make it EASIER for every legal voter to cast their vote

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2021, 07:05:24 PM »
bullshit

It's already easy to vote.  But then, you already knew this but tend to view yourself as compassionate.  I tend to think of you as nothing but compASSionut.

It's called talent, child of iniquity.  This ain't the real world ace.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2021, 07:14:50 PM »
It's already easy to vote.  But then, you already knew this but tend to view yourself as compassionate.  I tend to think of you as nothing but compASSionut.

It's called talent, child of iniquity.  This ain't the real world ace.

compASSionut....Lol! Scott you have such a way with words. Maybe they aren't real words, but they often say more than the real ones even can. Gotta love it! I am so happy you are back on Getbig and just as feisty as ever.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2021, 07:17:22 PM »
compASSionut....Lol! Scott you have such a way with words. Maybe they aren't real words, but they often say more than the real ones even can. Gotta love it! I am so happy you are back on Getbig and just as feisty as ever.

Well thank you, sir.  I try but am not the wordsmith that John was nor my own beloved mother in her younger days  They along with life, taught me to express myself.   Still can't do math, though.  Or science.  Or... ;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2021, 07:25:31 PM »
Well thank you, sir.  I try but am not the wordsmith that John was nor my own beloved mother in her younger days  They along with life, taught me to express myself.   Still can't do math, though.  Or science.  Or... ;D

Everyone has their shortcomings. Focus on your skills and downplay being short. I bet your mom was a hoot back in the day. There is a lot I can't do like...most other folks...just like you.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2021, 07:26:10 PM »
bullshit

Hahahahahah....you have to be trolling 😂😂🤣

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2021, 07:34:16 PM »
bullshit

Explain.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2021, 07:46:33 PM »
America is the greatest country in the world.

It should not be easy to come here, stay here or vote here.

That's what makes this country fall apart.

Why on earth should the greatest country on the planet not require ID to vote and verification of votes? that's third world shit.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2021, 08:15:10 PM »
America is the greatest country in the world.

It should not be easy to come here, stay here or vote here.

That's what makes this country fall apart.

Why on earth should the greatest country on the planet not require ID to vote and verification of votes? that's third world shit.

Yep

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2021, 10:14:01 PM »
saw a post earlier that summed it up

what if we proposed the ability to buy a gun to mirror the republicans attempt at voter suppression

The right wing nuts would cry "Against the constitution". But it's ok when applied to voter suppression. GMAFB

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2021, 10:18:20 PM »

what if we proposed the ability to buy a gun to mirror the republicans attempt at voter suppression

The right wing nuts would cry "Against the constitution". But it's ok when applied to voter suppression. GMAFB

Seriously? Lol

tatoo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2021, 06:07:15 AM »
bullshit

good lmao... you pussy

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2021, 08:23:30 AM »

Name the specific parts that you believe are voter suppression.
And it's quite obvious you've never bought a gun in Commiefornia. ::)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!