Author Topic: What happens when women run the economy?  (Read 2343 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
What happens when women run the economy?
« on: April 06, 2021, 04:39:20 AM »
What happens when women run the economy? We're about to find out.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-global-economy-women/what-happens-when-women-run-the-economy-were-about-to-find-out-idUSKBN2BT14S?il=0

"Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen, Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo and trade czar Katherine Tai hold top jobs in U.S. President Joe Biden’s administration and many of his economic advisers also are women, as are nearly 48% of his confirmed cabinet-level officials."

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Re: What happens when women run the economy?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 06:19:44 AM »
They’ll ruin it of course.

Sissysquats

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 07:11:19 AM »
Oh i dunno. My wife accounting/finance/cpa kicked ass of corporate and domestic budgets. Couldn’t have done it without her. So it depends of the quality and the goals of those women in public service

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 07:54:27 AM »
Oh i dunno. My wife accounting/finance/cpa kicked ass of corporate and domestic budgets. Couldn’t have done it without her. So it depends of the quality and the goals of those women in public service

From what I’ve seen, women like her are the exception not the rule.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 12:15:35 PM »
I've worked with some amazing female businesswomen that were very good at what they did. However, they are few and far between.

A lot of female Engineers are very successful. Some of the best Engineers on my team are women.

When i worked for one of the largest Energy companies in the world, they did the "gender 50/50" balance attempt. They forced a ton of women into management roles just because they had a vagina. It did not work out well, a lot of very well run groups started to fail within the first year. But i think a lot of it was because they weren't ready for that role yet.

Funny thing, after about 2 years they "restructured" the groups and moved a few more experienced men into key advisory roles, but they didn't remove the women; they assigned these "advisors" to the groups that were failing and within a few months things were pointed in the right direction.

The group i was in had around 350 people and it tanked so hard they took one of the Senior Managers from Australia and moved him to Houston to run the group for a year. Considering we were operating a 20 billion dollar asset, i can understand why. ;D

I don't necessarily think all women would perform the same. But you know Biden selected them just because they are women and not based on merit. Just matching his VP selection. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 12:18:00 PM »
Affirmative Action = many incompetents.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 01:31:52 PM »

Frankly, I think the question: What happens when women run the economy? and what it suggests is pretty fucking ignorant.

There are competent women and competent men as well as incompetent women and incompetent men.

Who fucking cares?  if you are incompetent, get the fuck out.  If you are competent, please stay.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 02:06:53 PM »
Frankly, I think the question: What happens when women run the economy? and what it suggests is pretty fucking ignorant.

There are competent women and competent men as well as incompetent women and incompetent men.

Who fucking cares?  if you are incompetent, get the fuck out.  If you are competent, please stay.

Do you think women should be placed in positions of power just because they have a vagina?

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 02:16:44 PM »
Problem is when you try to force equality when it just doesn’t exist. Silicon valley is super liberal yet there’s still a big disparity between male and female programmers. Is it all because of sexism?

https://www.zippia.com/computer-programmer-jobs/demographics/

Computer Programmer Gender Ratio

Among computer programmers, 29.1% of them are women compared to 66.0% which are men.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 02:38:47 PM »
Problem is when you try to force equality when it just doesn’t exist. Silicon valley is super liberal yet there’s still a big disparity between male and female programmers. Is it all because of sexism?

Among computer programmers, 29.1% of them are women compared to 66.0% which are men.

It's like Structural Engineering. The graduate classes are always like 70% male. The industry is primarily male too, go figure. ::)

Plus, most of the young female engineers i've hired, will just have kids and retire by 30 years old. It's very rare to have a long term female in this industry.

There are plenty of industries that are primarily female, and you don't see men making a big deal out of it.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 02:38:54 PM »
Do you think women should be placed in positions of power just because they have a vagina?

Do you think people shouldn't put in positions of power because they have a vagina?

I mean, really, what about my post makes you think that I would support people being put into positions of power because they have a vagina?

If you can do the job well, I don't care if you have both and dress like a giraffe. 

I am about results.  The rest is bull shit or low-hanging fruit for political tools/hacks.

OzmO

• Getbig V

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2021, 02:47:50 PM »

I don't think so.  I think it has more to do with interests that begin at an early age.  Most people who hire for a company aren't sexist idiots. 

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2021, 03:09:13 PM »

I love that 5% are unknown.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2021, 03:12:49 PM »
I love that 5% are unknown.

they are "non-binary". lol

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2021, 03:18:38 PM »
Study after study has shown that women are less aggressive than men when it comes to investing. There are various arguments about why this is so. One theory is that that lower earnings from smaller paychecks result in a more conservative approach, as women try not lose what little they have. Another suggests that biology and the maternal instinct play a role, arguing that the protective instinct often credited to mothers makes them more reluctant to take risks. Potential reasons aside, the more conservative approach to investing is generally associated with a variety of traits, including greater risk aversion, more concern about losses and less frequent trading. According to popular logic, these are all negative attributes to have when your objective is to make money in the financial markets.

Setting aside popular wisdom to focus on the math, studies of gender differences in investment behavior consistently show that, in the long term, female investors consistently outperform men. This difference in performance is most notable when markets are bad. Why did women fare better? They took less risk; they worried more about losses; they traded less and earned more.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/031313/women-and-investing-its-style-thing.asp

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2021, 03:19:43 PM »
Unless a woman wants to  forego having and raising her kids it's pretty much impossible to compete with a man who has a stay-at-home wife to do all that for him.

Women also miss lots of work because they are sick from their period, they are pregnant, they have a baby, etc.

Employers know this so they pay women less and hesitate to give them jobs that require lots of hours, etc.

They know the woman will not stick around.

There are career women who give up their childbearing years for their job or use surrogate mothers.  Those that wait until 40 have to deal with being unable to conceive naturally.  They could freeze eggs too.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2021, 03:19:52 PM »
The world's top 10 billionaires are all men.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2021, 03:21:43 PM »

Word.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2021, 03:22:57 PM »
Study after study has shown that women are less aggressive than men when it comes to investing. There are various arguments about why this is so. One theory is that that lower earnings from smaller paychecks result in a more conservative approach, as women try not lose what little they have. Another suggests that biology and the maternal instinct play a role, arguing that the protective instinct often credited to mothers makes them more reluctant to take risks. Potential reasons aside, the more conservative approach to investing is generally associated with a variety of traits, including greater risk aversion, more concern about losses and less frequent trading. According to popular logic, these are all negative attributes to have when your objective is to make money in the financial markets.

Setting aside popular wisdom to focus on the math, studies of gender differences in investment behavior consistently show that, in the long term, female investors consistently outperform men. This difference in performance is most notable when markets are bad. Why did women fare better? They took less risk; they worried more about losses; they traded less and earned more.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/031313/women-and-investing-its-style-thing.asp

Testosterone, bro.  That's what makes men take on more risk.  It's all chemical.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2021, 03:31:11 PM »
Do you think people shouldn't put in positions of power because they have a vagina?

I mean, really, what about my post makes you think that I would support people being put into positions of power because they have a vagina?

If you can do the job well, I don't care if you have both and dress like a giraffe. 

I am about results.  The rest is bull shit or low-hanging fruit for political tools/hacks.

Just an honest question. ;D

A lot of people feel differently these days.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2021, 03:47:34 PM »
Testosterone, bro.  That's what makes men take on more risk.  It's all chemical.

:D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2021, 03:51:32 PM »

It also makes us stupid.  Or as I always say, testosterone kills brain cells.   :)

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2021, 03:55:44 PM »
A woman acquaintance had her eggs frozen.  Mid 30s?

She's pregnant now. 

Not sure why she did it but probably thinking career which is silly.  She's middle management.

A job is not worth it.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2021, 04:03:59 PM »
Just an honest question. ;D

A lot of people feel differently these days.

Hehehe.  Yeah it’s crazy