Author Topic: Advil, the new wonder drug for bodybuilders??!!!  (Read 3807 times)

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
Advil, the new wonder drug for bodybuilders??!!!
« on: April 07, 2008, 04:58:06 PM »
Maybe Tom Prince was onto something!

Muscle Mass/Strength Increased By Ibuprofen Or Acetaminophen In Long-Term Resistance Training

Article Date: 07 Apr 2008 - 3:00 PDT

Taking daily recommended dosages of ibuprofen and acetaminophen caused a substantially greater increase over placebo in the amount of quadriceps muscle mass and muscle strength gained during three months of regular weight lifting, in a study by physiologists at the Human Performance Laboratory, Ball State University.

Dr. Chad Carroll, a postdoctoral fellow working with Dr. Todd Trappe, reported study results at Experimental Biology 2008 in San Diego on April 6. His presentation was part of the scientific program of the American Physiological Society (APS).

Thirty-six men and women, between 60 and 78 years of age (average age 65), were randomly assigned to daily dosages of either ibuprofen (such as that in Advil), acetaminophen (such as that in Tylenol), or a placebo. The dosages were identical to those recommended by the manufacturers and were selected to most closely mimic what chronic users of these medicines were likely to be taking. Neither the volunteers nor the scientists knew who was receiving which treatment until the end of the study.

All subjects participated in three months of weight training, 15-20 minute sessions conducted in the Human Performance Laboratory three times per week. The researchers knew from their own and other studies that training at this intensity and for this time period would significantly increase muscle mass and strength. They expected the placebo group to show such increases, as its members did, but they were surprised to find that the groups using either ibuprofen or acetaminophen did even better. An earlier study from the laboratory, measuring muscle metabolism (or more precisely, muscle protein synthesis, the mechanism through which new protein is added to muscle), had looked at changes over a 24 hour period. This "acute" study found that both ibuprofen and acetaminophen had a negative impact, by blocking a specific enzyme cyclooxygenase, commonly referred to as COX.

But that study looked at only one day. Over three months, says Dr. Trappe, the chronic consumption of ibuprofen or acetaminophen during resistance training appears to have induced intramuscular changes that enhance the metabolic response to resistance exercise, allowing the body to add substantially more new protein to muscle.

The amount of change was measured in quadricep muscles using Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), the gold standard for determining muscle mass. The researchers now are conducting assays of muscle biopsies taken before and after the three-month period of resistance training, in order to understand the metabolic mechanism of the positive effects of ibuprofen and acetaminophen.

One of the foci of Ball State's Human Performance Laboratory is the adaptation of the elderly to exercise. Another is the loss of muscle mass that takes place when astronauts are exposed to long-term weightlessness. This work has implications for both groups, says Dr. Trappe.

----------------------------
Article adapted by Medical News Today from original press release.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/102997.php

Meltdown

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
Re: Advil, the new wonder drug for bodybuilders??!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 05:04:09 PM »
It's all about Use and Abuse baby.Drugs used correctly are a great thing, Drugs Abused well look at Tom Prince.Fuked. ;D

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 05:06:03 PM »
WHAT???

this is crazy man.

for years ive been readin how acetominophen and ibuprofen both reduce protein synthesis.

and now it promotes muscle mass?

these fucking scientists need to make up their minds!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 05:07:59 PM »
WHAT???

this is crazy man.

for years ive been readin how acetominophen and ibuprofen both reduce protein synthesis.

i don't think anyone ever said the reduce protein synthesis, what was said was that they reduce post workout muscle inflammation which is needed to start the growth process.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 05:09:10 PM »
arent they 'nsaids' ? becuse MD has posted several different "studies" that supposedly show that nsaids reduce protein synthesis.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 05:10:19 PM »
arent they 'nsaids' ? becuse MD has posted several different "studies" that supposedly show that nsaids reduce protein synthesis.
nsaids might do that but Advil and Ibuprofen are anti inflammatories.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 05:11:34 PM »

The previous study is mentioned in this article.

This study is not to be taken as something that is automatically applicable to us since it was done on the elderly. Other factors come into play.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 05:11:41 PM »
He's All Advil!

FLEX mag mentioned it in 2004 as well.  NSAID = non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.  I think ibuprofin (advil, motrin) and tylenol both fall into the category?  I dunno.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 05:13:19 PM »
There is so many conflicting studies out there...its hard to know what to believe.   

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 05:13:19 PM »
NSAIDs are anti-inflammatories. NSAIDs = Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs. Advil belongs to this group.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 05:14:41 PM »
Guys can live on advil and get big, see tom prince.

however for us normal guys, it might slow down growth if we're taking 6 advils a day.  I know personally, I was taking 4 a day for sinuses (stupid, I know).  Layne norton told me that was too much and it's when I strated growing.  Also I am always getting bruised up (playing with kid all day, playing basketball 4 times a week, and playing in a band and carrying all the equipment).  I used to hold the bruise for 2-3 weeks when I was on advil all the time.  Since stopping it, I never bruise at all, even when I get huge hits on me.

Zaphod

• Getbig IV
  • IFBB Mr Canada 1970
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 05:16:14 PM »
WHAT???

this is crazy man.

Hahahah, thats the first intelligent thing I've ever heard you say.  ;D

I agree, fuckin wierd shit.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 05:27:03 PM »
There is so many conflicting studies out there...its hard to know what to believe.   

Exactly...just pick one that sides with what you want to believe & run with it.  ;)

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 05:28:46 PM »
Exactly...just pick one that sides with what you want to believe & run with it.  ;)
;D

SHRREDDitUP

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 05:32:33 PM »

bigj2k3

• Getbig II
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 05:44:53 PM »

jason armstrong

• Getbig IV
  • Riverview Trailer Park St Louis MO
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 06:25:40 PM »
boy you are a stupid fat fk :-X trying to sound smart....bliderass is correct write it down so you remember next time chubby fat ass. :-*

NSAIDs are anti-inflammatories. NSAIDs = Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs. Advil belongs to this group.

correct.

jason armstrong

• Getbig IV
  • Riverview Trailer Park St Louis MO
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 06:29:34 PM »
Guys can live on advil and get big, see tom prince.

however for us normal guys, it might slow down growth if we're taking 6 advils a day.  I know personally, I was taking 4 a day for sinuses (stupid, I know).  Layne norton told me that was too much and it's when I strated growing.  Also I am always getting bruised up (playing with kid all day, playing basketball 4 times a week, and playing in a band and carrying all the equipment).  I used to hold the bruise for 2-3 weeks when I was on advil all the time.  Since stopping it, I never bruise at all, even when I get huge hits on me.
be careful

Analgesic Nephropathy (Painkillers and the Kidneys)

* Acute Kidney Failure
    * Analgesic Nephropathy
    * Treatment
    * For More Information

An analgesic is any medicine intended to relieve pain. Over-the-counter analgesics—that is, painkillers available without a prescription—include aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, naproxen sodium, and others. These drugs present no danger for  most people when taken in the recommended dosage. But some conditions make taking even these common painkillers dangerous for the kidneys. Also, taking one of these drugs regularly over a long period of time may increase the risk for kidney problems. Most drugs that can cause kidney damage are excreted only through the kidneys. That is, they are not broken down by the liver, as alcohol is, or passed out of the body through the digestive tract.

Analgesic use has been associated with two different forms of kidney damage: acute renal failure and a type of chronic kidney disease called analgesic nephropathy.

Acute Kidney Failure

Some patient case reports have attributed incidents of sudden-onset acute kidney failure to the use of over-the-counter painkillers, including aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen sodium. Some of these patients experienced acute illnesses involving fluid loss or decreased fluid intake. Other patients in these reports had risk factors such as systemic lupus erythematosus, advanced age, chronic kidney disease, or recent heavy alcohol consumption. These cases involved a single dose in some instances and generally short-term analgesic use of not more than 10 days.

Acute kidney failure requires emergency dialysis to clean the blood. Kidney damage is frequently reversible, with normal kidney function returning after the emergency is over and the analgesic use is stopped.

Analgesic Nephropathy

A second form of kidney damage, called analgesic nephropathy, can result from taking painkillers every day for several years. Analgesic nephropathy is a chronic kidney disease that over years gradually leads to irreversible kidney failure and the permanent need for dialysis or a kidney transplant to restore kidney function. Researchers estimate that four out of 100,000 people will develop analgesic nephropathy. It is most common in women over 30.

The painkiller phenacetin has been taken off the market because of its association with analgesic nephropathy. Recent studies have suggested that longstanding daily use of analgesics such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen may also increase the risk of chronic kidney damage, but this evidence is not as clear.

In view of these findings, people with conditions that put them at risk for acute kidney failure should check with their health care provider before taking any analgesic medicine. People who take over-the-counter painkillers regularly should check with their primary care physician to make sure the drugs are not hurting their kidneys. The physician may be able to recommend a safer alternative and can order regular tests to monitor their kidney function.

Treatment

If you have been taking analgesics regularly to control chronic pain, you may be advised to find new ways to treat your pain, such as behavior modification or relaxation techniques. Depending on how much your kidney function has declined, you may be advised to change your diet, limit the fluids you drink, or take medications to avoid anemia and bone problems caused by kidney disease. Your doctor will monitor your kidney function with regular urine and blood tests.

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 06:30:04 PM »
advil doesnt effect muscular growth, it assists it.
Nasser called Palumbo an acromegalion

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 06:37:23 PM »

A second form of kidney damage, called analgesic nephropathy, can result from taking painkillers every day for several years. Analgesic nephropathy is a chronic kidney disease that over years gradually leads to irreversible kidney failure and the permanent need for dialysis or a kidney transplant to restore kidney function. Researchers estimate that four out of 100,000 people will develop analgesic nephropathy. It is most common in women over 30.

thanks man.  i appreciate the heads up.  I was only taking 4 of the 200 mg pills each day, spread out, the only way to deal with my brutal sinus pressure.  But I would tell the difference with the bruises. 

I'm very worried about kidney issues... I drink a bottle of cranberry juice each week, lots of water, and I actually stopped taking creatine and cut way back on vitamins.  I used to get all sorts of free samples, ans while I loved them, I realized I was taxing my body like crazy.  Since cutting out all alcohol, creatine, ibuprofin (I still take maybe one 200 mg now and then, or just an 81 mg aspirin), I get sick way less.  IMO your body can only process so many things at a time.  good looking out tho!

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2008, 06:43:34 PM »
thanks man.  i appreciate the heads up.  I was only taking 4 of the 200 mg pills each day, spread out, the only way to deal with my brutal sinus pressure.  But I would tell the difference with the bruises. 

I'm very worried about kidney issues... I drink a bottle of cranberry juice each week, lots of water, and I actually stopped taking creatine and cut way back on vitamins.  I used to get all sorts of free samples, ans while I loved them, I realized I was taxing my body like crazy.  Since cutting out all alcohol, creatine, ibuprofin (I still take maybe one 200 mg now and then, or just an 81 mg aspirin), I get sick way less.  IMO your body can only process so many things at a time.  good looking out tho!

milk meat and grains activate 'white' mucos or white bloodcells, your body is fighting the white devil thats why you got brutal sinus pressure

you need to change your die't

A

fearANDloathing

• Getbig III
  • Deep in The Plak Tow. Don't Fuck with me!
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2008, 04:12:21 AM »

Arnold, Robby Robinson, Kent Kuhen, Roger Collard, Ken Waller ...
Ah, The good old days. Recognize anyone else?

io856

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2008, 04:32:28 AM »
milk meat and grains activate 'white' mucos or white bloodcells, your body is fighting the white devil thats why you got brutal sinus pressure

you need to change your die't

you dont know much... stick to painting

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2008, 04:43:16 AM »
WHAT???

this is crazy man.

lol, "for years"!

You can count the no. of years that you are able to  read on one hand, let alone the few months you've been lifting.
Remember, you were veryobese not long ago.

Hope this helps.

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008, 04:53:00 AM »