Author Topic: Are bodybuilders "athletes"?  (Read 48485 times)

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
Re: Are bodybuilders "athletes"?
« Reply #400 on: April 11, 2010, 03:19:37 PM »
yeah it is

your responses are weak if you ask me

E
Alright, competitive dance is now starting to be viewed as a sport. So do judges refer to the competitors as athletes or dancers? And though you find my responses weak, they uphold against the debate which you claim pro body builders are athletes. You haven't responded with anything solid to refute.

So let's make it easy again:
In a body building competition what is it that the competitors do during the show that shows athletic ability? Jumping, running, throwing, hurdling, shooting a ball, dribbling a ball, hitting a ball, dang I'll even take mandatory push ups...............what exactly is it that a body builder does to show athletic ability?

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #401 on: April 11, 2010, 05:32:55 PM »
I don't disagree about another pro athlete being unable to succeed in another sport that they aren't good at. Never have. The debate is whether or not a pro body builder is an "athlete". You haven't given any solid foundation, even according to your use of the dictionary term, that a body builder is one. Even the lame use as posing as the criteria for athleticism is feeble at best.

ok if it makes you feel better to be a fan of a "male beauty pageant", be my guest ;)

me and every major newspaper will continue to see it for what it is, a sport

nothing you have said can convince me otherwise, and apparently nothing i say will change your mind so whatever

E
E

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #402 on: April 11, 2010, 05:35:07 PM »
LOL @ earl still trying to convince people bbing is a sport.

Bbing is as much of a sport as the Miss America pageant.

As a matter of fact, I'd say it takes more talent to compete for Miss America since they have to give some gay speach.

hahahahha Could you imagine Ronnie being judged for his answer on why he would make the best Mr Olympia? ;D

this is what i'm talking about, all of you keep repeating the same nonsense

and you expect me to change my mind ::)

it's very strange for all of you to follow what you feel is a "male beauty pageant"

i guess bay was right, most of you are at least bi curious :-X

E
E

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #403 on: April 11, 2010, 05:37:49 PM »
Alright, competitive dance is now starting to be viewed as a sport. So do judges refer to the competitors as athletes or dancers? And though you find my responses weak, they uphold against the debate which you claim pro body builders are athletes. You haven't responded with anything solid to refute.

So let's make it easy again:
In a body building competition what is it that the competitors do during the show that shows athletic ability? Jumping, running, throwing, hurdling, shooting a ball, dribbling a ball, hitting a ball, dang I'll even take mandatory push ups...............what exactly is it that a body builder does to show athletic ability?

i've already gone over this, but it seems you've conditioned your mind to think that my responses are "feeble" so i'm not going to repeat myself, like you basically are

keep following those "male beauty pageants", at least mindspin admitted he would've been gay if he didn't have women around while competing ;D

E
E

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
« Reply #404 on: April 11, 2010, 09:10:57 PM »
i've already gone over this, but it seems you've conditioned your mind to think that my responses are "feeble" so i'm not going to repeat myself, like you basically are

keep following those "male beauty pageants", at least mindspin admitted he would've been gay if he didn't have women around while competing ;D

E
I'm saying you're stating that posing is the "athletic" participation of body building. And now posing won't even be scored so where does that leave the "athleticism" in body building now?
In all of the body building magazines, posing isn't considered "athletic" but an "art". I agree. It's an art and not an athletic portion of a show.

Rhino

• Getbig IV
  • Jesus Christ is lord and savior
Re: How can we have a moderator that is not into bodybuilding(mindspin)
« Reply #405 on: April 12, 2010, 03:31:30 AM »
It's true, you can't make it without the drugs... that's what I've realized after 20 - 25 years of natural training... and it's good to know that to become an "all natural" pro, is just a lofty goal that ain't gonna happen. So now, I just train to be healthy and to get the most out of life because I don't like to waste time. 
X

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
Re: How can we have a moderator that is not into bodybuilding(mindspin)
« Reply #406 on: April 12, 2010, 04:04:26 AM »
Mindspin is an original getbigger from the days of anarchy. The days long before people whined to have others time-outted. In fact, time out didn't exist.

MS would regularly attack and own along with the best of them and never hid behind the paltry bit of power being a "mod" gave him.

He is/was the best kind of mod: didn't want it, didn't ask for it and never abused it.

There is a positive board for pure muscle worship and a healthy scepticism towards drug abusers/dealers in panties is really not the end of the world..
O

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #407 on: April 12, 2010, 05:28:50 PM »
ok if it makes you feel better to be a fan of a "male beauty pageant", be my guest ;)

nothing you have said can convince me otherwise, and apparently nothing i say will change your mind so whatever

E

Earl post up the article in anyone of the following papers the New York Times, Boston Herald, The Sporting News, LA Times or USA Today about last year Mr. Olympia.  We'll wait
No Worries 4 me

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
« Reply #408 on: April 12, 2010, 06:00:12 PM »
Earl post up the article in anyone of the following papers the New York Times, Boston Herald, The Sporting News, LA Times or USA Today about last year Mr. Olympia.  We'll wait
Watching the paint dry on the wall right now.

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #409 on: April 12, 2010, 06:04:49 PM »
Keep merging ... Hopefully, one day, we can merge everything and just have a mega thread.
O

Rhino

• Getbig IV
« Reply #410 on: April 12, 2010, 11:27:58 PM »
I remember those old days here and I miss them as much as the old days in the gym too. There was just one board to post and there was not so many people here. Now, there's too much info.  :-\
X

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #411 on: April 13, 2010, 12:04:07 AM »

Man I ask Earl to complete a very very simple task since he said every major paper covered BB and yet he has not come back.  I'll make it even easier Earl.  Post just one article about BB in any of those newspaper from a show other than located in the same town.  Don't post an article on the Ironman in the LA Times (the Ironman is in LA right?)
No Worries 4 me

Rhino

• Getbig IV
« Reply #412 on: April 13, 2010, 03:23:17 AM »
I hope that they don't start calling that show "The Biggest Loser" a soprt.
X

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
« Reply #413 on: April 13, 2010, 06:41:35 AM »
I hope that they don't start calling that show "The Biggest Loser" a soprt.
Lol, some of the contestants consider themselves "athletes". Although I give credit to some of them because some have done marathons during their weight losses for challenges.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #414 on: April 13, 2010, 10:19:47 AM »

i've been telling you this for years now ::)

NEWSPAPERS AND MEDIA DO NOT COVER SPORTS THAT NOBODY CARES ABOUT

i already posted a NY times article where they acknowledge bodybuilding as a sport but you are free to keep calling it a "male beauty pageant", says a lot about you ;D

E

E

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #415 on: April 13, 2010, 10:25:34 AM »
i've been telling you this for years now ::)

NEWSPAPERS AND MEDIA DO NOT COVER SPORTS THAT NOBODY CARES ABOUT

i already posted a NY times article where they acknowledge bodybuilding as a sport but you are free to keep calling it a "male beauty pageant", says a lot about you ;D

E

That is your comeback.  NOW they don't cover BB.  First you said all the major papers do and now you say they don't Earl get it straight.  And where is that article.  At least you say there is one article.  Not bad for over 50 years.  Now show it.
No Worries 4 me

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #416 on: April 13, 2010, 10:27:36 AM »
Man I ask Earl to complete a very very simple task since he said every major paper covered BB and yet he has not come back.  I'll make it even easier Earl.  Post just one article about BB in any of those newspaper from a show other than located in the same town.  Don't post an article on the Ironman in the LA Times (the Ironman is in LA right?)

why on earth would a new york newspaper talk about a bodybuilding show that is taking place in los angeles?  should a new york newspaper cover a las vegas arena football team::)

why is that so hard for you to comprehend?  media covers what people actually care about

why is it so important for you to "prove" that your favorite sport (you're never seen in the sports forum) is actually a beauty pageant?

E
E

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #417 on: April 13, 2010, 10:30:55 AM »
That is your comeback.  NOW they don't cover BB.  First you said all the major papers do and now you say they don't Earl get it straight.  And where is that article.  At least you say there is one article.  Not bad for over 50 years.  Now show it.

when bodybuilding is mentioned in the papers it is in the sports section, where did i say that every newspaper covers bodybuilding shows?   

the article is in this thread, maybe if you actually read my posts instead of refusing to listen you would've seen it ::)

go back to stalking goodrum, that's what you're "good" at

E
E

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #418 on: April 13, 2010, 10:30:55 AM »
why on earth would a new york newspaper talk about a bodybuilding show that is taking place in los angeles?  should a new york newspaper cover a las vegas arena football team::)

why is that so hard for you to comprehend?  media covers what people actually care about

why is it so important for you to "prove" that your favorite sport (you're never seen in the sports forum) is actually a beauty pageant?

E

It is a sport.  Every major newspaper carries sports from all over the world.  And wouldn't you think the biggest BB show in the world and history is ther Mr. Olympia yet NOT ONE major paper covers it.  Why is that?  NOT ONE.   Come Earl come up with something,.  You are talking out of your ass now.  Forst you say every paper covers BB and now you say why would they.  Get it straight, you are embarassing yourself
No Worries 4 me

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #419 on: April 13, 2010, 10:33:40 AM »
It is a sport.  Every major newspaper carries sports from all over the world.  And wouldn't you think the biggest BB show in the world and history is ther Mr. Olympia yet NOT ONE major paper covers it.  Why is that?  NOT ONE.   Come Earl come up with something,.  You are talking out of your ass now.  Forst you say every paper covers BB and now you say why would they.  Get it straight, you are embarassing yourself

BECAUSE NOBODY OTHER THAN PEOPLE LIKE ME AND YOU CARE ABOUT IT

you are the one talking out of your ass, i never once said every paper covers it ::)

show me one post where i say every newspaper covers bodybuilding shows, all i said was when they cover a show it is in the sports section

E
E

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #420 on: April 13, 2010, 11:17:28 AM »
BECAUSE NOBODY OTHER THAN PEOPLE LIKE ME AND YOU CARE ABOUT IT

you are the one talking out of your ass, i never once said every paper covers it ::)

show me one post where i say every newspaper covers bodybuilding shows, all i said was when they cover a show it is in the sports section

E

ok if it makes you feel better to be a fan of a "male beauty pageant", be my guest Wink

Not sure but i think you said EVERY paper sees it as a sport.  Not sure but I think that is what it says
No Worries 4 me

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
« Reply #421 on: April 13, 2010, 11:31:27 AM »
when bodybuilding is mentioned in the papers it is in the sports section, where did i say that every newspaper covers bodybuilding shows?   
Lol, when body building is mentioned at all now, it's just for steroids busting. ;)  Some body builders have to peddle steroids to make a living, because working a regular job might get in the way of their eating and training. ::)

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=10198633

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/sports/27steroids.html?_r=2&oref=slogin

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=567310

http://www.taylorhooton.org/_blog/Hoots_Corner/post/Steroid_Bust_of_the_Week/

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #422 on: April 13, 2010, 11:43:48 AM »
ok if it makes you feel better to be a fan of a "male beauty pageant", be my guest Wink

Not sure but i think you said EVERY paper sees it as a sport.  Not sure but I think that is what it says

yes they see it as a sport, where did i say that they cover every show ::)

E
E

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #423 on: April 13, 2010, 11:45:39 AM »
Lol, when body building is mentioned at all now, it's just for steroids busting. ;)  Some body builders have to peddle steroids to make a living, because working a regular job might get in the way of their eating and training. ::)

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=10198633

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/sports/27steroids.html?_r=2&oref=slogin

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=567310

http://www.taylorhooton.org/_blog/Hoots_Corner/post/Steroid_Bust_of_the_Week/

yes because that is the only thing interesting to the average person about the sport

the news tends to focus on the negative, especially when nobody cares about the positive

E
E

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
« Reply #424 on: April 13, 2010, 12:24:19 PM »
yes because that is the only thing interesting to the average person about the sport

the news tends to focus on the negative, especially when nobody cares about the positive

E
While I agree on the negative focus of the media, what in Pro body building today is so positive? I mean it's cool to see how freaky body parts can be, but with the excess drug use, even if monitored by a physician, the use of synthol to enhance body parts, the BS of promoting supplements that they say "made them a freak", GH guts, and the non comradery that really didn't exist amongst prior pros of the 80's and even early 90's, there's not much positive. Unless maybe your gay and today's freaks with big guts gets you off.