Author Topic: 40 Reps For Growth  (Read 1117 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
40 Reps For Growth
« on: June 19, 2023, 06:40:12 AM »
A good idea.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/tip-use-the-40-reps-method-for-growth/

When most people think of sets and reps, their fallback scheme is 3 sets of 10 reps (3x10). Here's something different that will break you out of a training rut: forget about the number of sets. Instead, think about hitting a certain amount of total reps for the exercise. A good number to shoot for is 40 reps. So your goal is to accumulate 40 reps for a particular exercise. The number of sets is (almost) meaningless.

falco

• Getbig V
Re: 40 Reps For Growth
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2023, 06:52:57 AM »
I read this circa 1994 when i started lifting.

lamarclark09

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2023, 11:58:11 PM »
Great accomplishment! And a nice target to set further. According to me, 40 reps are quite enough.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2023, 06:05:31 PM »
I remember the 40-50 total rep thing while in high school (around 1988 or so).  Can burn out pretty fast for most guy's, but it did seem to work up to a point, as most exercise programs do.Than on to something else. A key factor being having a mental discipline as well as a physical one. Was being done two, maybe three times a week along with their regular workouts. Actually those 40-50 rep workouts went by fairly fast.  Keeping the same weight on the bar throughout, with brief pauses when needed until 40 was hit. Don't really have official sets, just those brief pauses. Can also affect stamina (endurance & strength)

Most popular exercises were pullups/chinsups and dip. Don't know why, just the way it was, at least in SoCal. No doubt heavier high rep exercises (20-30), like DL's cleans, benches and squats will add size, been proven over and over again.

Good Luck.
F