Author Topic: Dodging US Government Spying Efforts  (Read 3570 times)

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
Dodging US Government Spying Efforts
« on: January 05, 2014, 07:20:47 PM »
I hope some privacy advocates can scrutinize my inadvertent gooberment spying reduction regime, even though I have literally nothing worth snooping for anyway (this is still a fun academic exercise, I think):

-Building a Linux machine
-An email service hosted overseas by one of those activist sites, e.g., riseup.net
-Thunderbird with Enigmail to encrypt/sign emails
-A VPN then used to access Tor for browsing
-Truecrypt to encrypt various folders/usb drives as needed
-KeePass password management software to generate long, secure passwords. Keep KeePass encrypted on a flash drive
-Replicant phone operating system using Linphone for encrypted VOIP calls via either 3G or Wifi
-Encrypted chatting/file sharing via Retroshare
-Cloud storage via self-hosting a server on a Raspberry Pi

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
Re: Dodging US Government Spying Efforts
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 09:21:25 PM »
My mistake ladies and gentlemen, let's get back to discussing the precise albedo one's thong should be to best hypnotize the schmoes.  ::)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 10:19:45 PM »
What do you suppose they're looking for?

Trapper_Slapper

• Getbig IV
  • Clean and Jerks pull the bitches!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 10:58:51 PM »
I'm all about that VPN life. 8)

But what's this "Tor" you speak of? Speciality browser or something?

I'm a newb at this...

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 02:22:15 AM »
V

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
  • flirtin with disaster everyday
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 07:17:13 AM »
You could live in a one room shack in the woods of Montana and only use various US post offices for your correspondence, wait what?

dustin

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 07:36:08 AM »
With all those efforts they'll still find a way to infiltrate it.

I may be an asshole and do all that as well, giving them a bit of a harder time. But at the end of the day you're just giving yourself a false sense of security. To piss them off, I would go these lengths though. If I get a long weekend I'll rig something up like that. It's the least I can do to piss them off. Bunch of cock suckers. :-\

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 07:40:37 AM »
I knew it.  Syntax is an international spy. 
A

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 01:58:06 PM »

I don't possess anything of value to the USG. But this fact doesn't reduce my desire to exercise my right not to be continually surveilled by my own government, however innocuous a form that surveillance takes (e.g., the metadata of all my digital communications being stored, but never retrieved, in some database in Maryland).

It's also worth noting that the measures outlined in the OP are useful for parrying corporate attempts to subvert your privacy, as when insurance companies attempt to collect as much information about your digital life as possible when deciding whether to grant you a policy, among other things.

But what's this "Tor" you speak of? Speciality browser or something?

I'm a newb at this...

It's a proxy service that, when used properly, enables anonymous browsing via Firefox. It grants access to the deep web, the seedy underbelly of the internet where the Silk Road and pedos reside (and much else besides).

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 02:06:30 PM »
Cory Doctorow talked about this the other day. Apparently some spooks only buy their computers by randomly walking into random computer stores at random times (etc.) and taking a floor or boxed model to the cash. That way avoiding intercepted deliveries and installed malwares or devices. Fark me.   :-\

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 02:07:47 PM »
No matter what, don't have anabolichalo's ex encrypt your .pdf docs.
Y

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 02:17:20 PM »

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 02:18:45 PM »
Interesting article written by a GetBigger (Really):

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2046227/meet-darknet-the-hidden-anonymous-underbelly-of-the-searchable-web.html

"1"

Basile wrote this article?   :o

Most of the flotsam and jetsam found in the Deep Web are unintentional cast-offs
Y

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 02:23:52 PM »
I don't possess anything of value to the USG. But this fact doesn't reduce my desire to exercise my right not to be continually surveilled by my own government, however innocuous a form that surveillance takes (e.g., the metadata of all my digital communications being stored, but never retrieved, in some database in Maryland).

It's also worth noting that the measures outlined in the OP are useful for parrying corporate attempts to subvert your privacy, as when insurance companies attempt to collect as much information about your digital life as possible when deciding whether to grant you a policy, among other things.

It's a proxy service that, when used properly, enables anonymous browsing via Firefox. It grants access to the deep web, the seedy underbelly of the internet where the Silk Road and pedos reside (and much else besides).
The only way you are going to win is if you support organizations like the ACLU and vote for the proper representation in government that opposes such measures.

Building your crappy 12 frames per second budget box that still can easily be broken into is not going to do anything.

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 02:28:01 PM »
I hope some privacy advocates can scrutinize my inadvertent gooberment spying reduction regime, even though I have literally nothing worth snooping for anyway (this is still a fun academic exercise, I think):

-Building a Linux machine
-An email service hosted overseas by one of those activist sites, e.g., riseup.net
-Thunderbird with Enigmail to encrypt/sign emails
-A VPN then used to access Tor for browsing
-Truecrypt to encrypt various folders/usb drives as needed
-KeePass password management software to generate long, secure passwords. Keep KeePass encrypted on a flash drive
-Replicant phone operating system using Linphone for encrypted VOIP calls via either 3G or Wifi
-Encrypted chatting/file sharing via Retroshare
-Cloud storage via self-hosting a server on a Raspberry Pi
what about the phone?

they have access to everything easy if they want.

and i think whatever is on the net they can somehow find out.

some italian mob boss once said only messages on little papers,or in person.

but,whatfor anyway.

itd be up to congresses worldwide to stop the madness, but i dont see it hapening
n

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 02:29:23 PM »
The only way you are going to win is if you support organizations like the ACLU and vote for the proper representation in government that opposes such measures.

Building your crappy 12 frames per second budget box that still can easily be broken into is not going to do anything.

One thing about the ACLU I dislike is that they've remained very quiet on gun rights.
A

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 02:31:19 PM »
One thing about the ACLU I dislike is that they've remained very quiet on gun rights.
Not really.

http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/320357-nra-claims-nsa-illegally-created-a-gun-database

NRA joins ACLU lawsuit, claims NSA starting 'gun registry' (Video)

By Brendan Sasso
Share on facebook6.3K Share on twitter0 Share on google_plusone_share More Sharing Services 0 Share on email

The National Rifle Association joined the American Civil Liberties Union's lawsuit on Wednesday to end the government's massive phone record collection program.

In a brief filed in federal court, the NRA argues that the National Security Agency's database of phone records amounts to a "national gun registry."

"It would be absurd to think that the Congress would adopt and maintain a web of statutes intended to protect against the creation of a national gun registry, while simultaneously authorizing the FBI and the NSA to gather records that could effectively create just such a registry," the group writes.

After leaks by Edward Snowden, the NSA acknowledged that it collects records on virtually all U.S. phone calls. The data include phone numbers, call times and call durations, but not the contents of the conversations. The NSA says it only "queries" the database a limited number of times for specific national security reasons. 

The NSA argues that Congress authorized the phone data surveillance with Section 215 of the Patriot Act, which allows for the collection of business records "relevant" to terrorism.

In its filing, the gun-rights group claims that the NSA's database would allow the government to identify and track gun owners based on whether they've called gun stores, shooting ranges or the NRA.

"Under the government’s reading of Section 215, the government could simply demand the periodic submission of all firearms dealers’ transaction records, then centralize them in a database indexed by the buyers’ names for later searching," the NRA writes.

The group claims that Congress could never have meant to authorize such a vast surveillance operation because it has repeatedly rejected proposals to create a national gun registry.

The NRA's brief also claims that the phone record program violates its members' First Amendment rights to associate and communicate freely. The group argues that people could fear retribution for associating with the gun-rights group if they knew the government was monitoring their phone records.

The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, along with a host of news organizations including Bloomberg, Fox, National Public Radio and The New Yorker, also filed a brief on Wednesday in support of the ACLU lawsuit. The groups claim that the phone data collection inhibits the ability of journalists to contact sources and gather news.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 02:31:24 PM »
what about the phone?

they have access to everything easy if they want.

and i think whatever is on the net they can somehow find out.

some italian mob boss once said only messages on little papers,or in person.

but,whatfor anyway.

itd be up to congresses worldwide to stop the madness, but i dont see it hapening

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 02:33:48 PM »

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 02:34:18 PM »
No matter what, don't have anabolichalo's ex encrypt your .pdf docs.

Is that Cuban creation  :)

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 02:34:19 PM »

It will make me feel good.

Also, I'm not so sure utilizing the above methods is totally ineffective in subverting surveillance. Have any evidence to the contrary?

Finally, even if they aren't effective against the gooberment, they may work to varying degrees against corporate violators.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 02:36:39 PM »
http://digitaljournal.com/article/275781

ACLU Defends Gun Rights in New Orleans
Like this article37
By Carol Forsloff   
Jul 11, 2009 in Politics

Read more: http://digitaljournal.com/article/275781#ixzz2pf1KzR8I

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 02:37:20 PM »

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 02:37:59 PM »
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2008/jul/11/only-nevada-aclu-opposes-gun-control/

Nevada ACLU supports an individual’s right to bear arms

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 02:39:57 PM »

Seems you're getting Google-Fued, dude. TA is a 7th degree black belt.