Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 406641 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Over 45 training
« on: July 20, 2015, 04:10:16 PM »
I assume many guys over 45 come to the history page for nostalgia. I know the current physiques can't compare to the past ones in my opinion. They look bloated and soft like they are all taking the same drugs.  The pictures in the magazines are heavily retouched. I'm still interested in current bodybuilders but the past is where my interest in physical culture lie.

I hope this will be a place where the older guys can share what they are doing in the gym. Hopefully a thread where guys can be civil.  

I mentioned this before on other threads but I mainly train in my basement. Before I was retired it was home and work gyms. I mentioned to my wife prior to my birthday that it might be fun to return to a commercial gym for a couple of months. She gave me a three month membership to one of those massive chain gyms. I found a lot of serious trainers. A lot of ego trainers doing the usual half reps to impress with the weight used that they couldn't use for real. What is so different from my youth is that bodybuilding gyms were all guys in my 20's. It was a rare event to find a girl training. Now it might be 50/50 male to female ratio.  Some of the women work out really hard.

Today I trained back and chest. No warm ups are listed.

Pull ups 2 x max
Seated V grip cable rows 2 x 12
Single dumbbell row off a bench 2 x 10
Hammer strength pulldowns 2 x 8 (This machine feels better than a normal pulldown machine)

Flat dumbbell benches 2 x 7 ( I went full range. So many use half reps so they can grab the giant dumbbells. Truth be told they would get better muscle stimulation, have more flexible shoulder joints if they would use dumbbells they could handle)
Hammer Strength inclines 2 x 8
Hammer Strength declines 2 x 8
Flat dumbbell flies 2 x 10

Dead lifts 2 x 4 (Used 290lbs. I have a severely sprained foot with nerve damage that I'm trying to heal. If I go any heavier it's just too much for my bad foot. Tried to load up the bar with a respectable weight. I lifted it 4 inches off the ground and it was just too painful. Unloaded the bar with my tail between my legs.)
Leg kickback machine 2 x 12 ( Never saw this machine before. It's an excellent machine. It has a foot pad that you push back. It hits right in the glute ham area.

Ab coaster 2 x 24 with 20lbs.

The hyper extension benches are garbage in this gym. It's one of those 45 degree ones. Just doesn't hit the lower back like a horizontal one. I did 2 x 15 weighted back extensions at home.  

Gym observations:

1. I saw a young college age guy teaching his girlfriend how to do Olympic lifts. I never give advice except when someone is doing something dangerous. Couple of days ago I saw a teenager doing power squats without a spotters or safety racks. After I talked to him the next time he was doing his squats in the power rack with the safety bars in place. Any way back to the Olympic lifting. He really had limited knowledge. I gave him some pointers. You just don't see Olympic lifts in typical gyms. I told him about the hook grip that he didn't know about. I also told him many open their hands so they can get their elbows up to catch the bar on the shoulder shelf.  

2. Saw what I guess is typical ego lifter. He is using the smith machine for delt press behind the necks with 4-45lbs plates only going half way down. If he took 225lbs off the squat racks I doubt he could do one full rep. These guys are really delusional about how strong they are.

3. I said it on another thread. There is this in shape blonde with abs. She looks like she could be a fitness model. She has everything needed. I don't know how she trains with all the guys bothering her between sets. She is super friendly with every guy that talks to her. I bet these guys think they have a shot. She wears a belly top and those panty hose leggings. It just curves in right in her hot tiny heiny.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 07:26:23 PM »
saw u2 last nite in nyc at the garden out late 4 me on sunday.. felt a bit weaker still good training .

chest

inc press 165/185/185-135 drop
hammer lying press 2 45's side 10 reps x3
inc flyes db's 50/50/40
cable crossovers with dips 10x10 reps x3
seated chest press 'stack version'x2

tris
pushdowns narrow inner grip x3
reverse underhand grip x3
tricep seated extension machine x3
db extensions across body db starts side head and straight out x2

abs

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 09:11:50 PM »
Great thread rich, it's just after 6am here and I will be going for an early morning run as tonight not much time and it's cool now.  ;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 09:51:58 PM »
Good start with this thread. Did not make it to the gym today. On the third Monday of each month, I chair a board meeting out of town. It pretty much shoots the day. Training 3 days a week allows for a more flexible schedule, like this week I will hit the gym on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

Slightly sore from last week's chest routine. My arms aren't sore at all. I probably need to step up the arm workout. My biceps are getting harder if not bigger. The triceps are showing a little better.

This morning I was 2 lbs away from my goal of 175. Of course water weight varies from day to day.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 01:22:58 AM »
Good start with this thread. Did not make it to the gym today. On the third Monday of each month, I chair a board meeting out of town. It pretty much shoots the day. Training 3 days a week allows for a more flexible schedule, like this week I will hit the gym on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

Slightly sore from last week's chest routine. My arms aren't sore at all. I probably need to step up the arm workout. My biceps are getting harder if not bigger. The triceps are showing a little better.

This morning I was 2 lbs away from my goal of 175. Of course water weight varies from day to day.
3 days a week is great. I'm just slowly integrating what I can do full body style.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 09:37:13 PM »
Good workout today. Changed up elliptical for stationary bike. This put a spark in cardio.

Today was leg day. Upped the resistance a little as well as the reps.
Nautilus; hams 3 sets of ten. Nautilus; leg extensions, 3 sets of 12. Hammer leg presses; 3 sets of 15. Nautilus; 3 sets of 15.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 03:10:06 AM »
going to start doing some circuits to aid my Fitness and recovery...heavy lifting is out for a while so i will do this ...

Boxing circuit: Round 1

Skipping (1 min)
Double crunch (1 minute)
Overhead press with medicine Ball (1 minute)

Round 2:

step ups (1 min)
Incline press ups( hands on bench, maybe not 1 min as long as i can due to neck)
Punch bag (1 min)

Round 3:

Half sit ups /leg raises (1min)
skipping (1 min)
Arm punches, light weights  (1 min)

will of course change exercise to suit injury like using a medicine ball. Lats are not worked directly but i still feel them on the push ups wide grip. maybe throw in a rowing ex for good measures. Number of circuits will depend on fitness on that Day.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 05:20:23 AM »
going to start doing some circuits to aid my Fitness and recovery...heavy lifting is out for a while so i will do this ...

Boxing circuit: Round 1

Skipping (1 min)
Double crunch (1 minute)
Overhead press with medicine Ball (1 minute)

Round 2:

step ups (1 min)
Incline press ups( hands on bench, maybe not 1 min as long as i can due to neck)
Punch bag (1 min)

Round 3:

Half sit ups /leg raises (1min)
skipping (1 min)
Arm punches, light weights  (1 min)

will of course change exercise to suit injury like using a medicine ball. Lats are not worked directly but i still feel them on the push ups wide grip. maybe throw in a rowing ex for good measures. Number of circuits will depend on fitness on that Day.
good to hear...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 05:23:38 AM »
good to hear...
lean mean fighting machine  ;) if i canŽt do 1 min pushups iŽll do the Nieder press holding a plate. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 08:18:05 AM »
Trained legs today. I wanted to start with the leg press and I saw the gym "mayor" sitting in it. The mayor is this 50 something 6'4" steroid using guy who never stops talking and actually struts when he walks. He is so full of himself. I ask him how many sets he has? He says, "With what!?"  I'm just a little perplexed with his ass hole attitude. Figure he thinks it's a rude question to ask. I start my leg day now with dumbbell squats. He has to know deep down inside that a pretty steroid body doesn't mean the ability to fight.  

Dumbbell squat 2 x 12 (body upright and ass as low as it can go. I don't bend over and deadlift the weight. I use straps for grip. Brutal exercise.)
leg extensions 3 x 12
seated leg curl 2 x 10 ( this expensive gym machine stinks compared to the cheap one I have in my basement. Just made wrong.)
lying leg curl 2 x 12 ( this commericial machine was made perfect)
inner and outer leg machine 2 x 12 on each
leg press 2 x 12 then add weight 1 x 8 ( felt dizzy after. Heart or I was holding my breath unintentionally?)

Seated calf machine 2 x 15 ( hurt my bad foot but just like a dope I did them anyway)
Donkey calf machine 2 x 15

ab coaster 2 x 24 20lbs
twisting ab machine 2 x 10 (incredible machine. Looking forward to hitting the heavy bag again to see if this machine helped)

Before I left I used this lady butt machine. It has enough plates to make it really hard. It's hard to describe with words but you push a pad back standing with a single leg. It's almost like a weird kind of standing squat. Hits the butt hard. (insert joke here)

Other than the gym mayor giving me attitude it was a good training day. I keep to my self when I  train and I rarely talk to anyone. I just want to get the job done. I saw the same people when I arrived and when I left so I was doing something right.

Gym observations:

1. The mayor of the gym is a jerk who will have to be dealt with.

2. There were a whole crew of ego lifters today. You know the ones. They grab giant dumbbells and in order to use them they short stroke the movement because if they went full range they wouldn't be able to use them. Delusional "strong men."

3. I got caught checking out a girl's ass. Didn't know she was looking at me in the mirror. She didn't seem to mind.

4. So far I haven't been trapped by a trainer trying to sell himself in the 3 weeks I have worked out in this commercial gym. They do hawk members but maybe they can see I know what I'm doing.

5. Making great gains but I still can't do cardio because of an injury to my foot. I think I'm looking pretty good for a non steroid user.  I think the adrenaline flows in the commercial gym and I really push myself. Maybe I have been slacking off in my home gym. This membership has been a good kick in the ass to get me to be the best I can be.

6. I have never been in the locker room. Just afraid of what I will see there. Probably naked old men drying their balls with the hand dryer.  

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 09:24:13 AM »
Trained legs today. I wanted to start with leg press and I saw the gym "mayor" sitting in it. The mayor is this 50 something 6'4" steroid using guy who never stops talking and actually struts when he walks he is so full of himself. I ask him how many sets he has? He says, "With what!?"  I'm just a little perplexed with his ass hole attitude. Figure he thinks it's a rude question to ask. I start my leg day now with dumbbell squats. He has to know deep down inside that a pretty steroid body doesn't mean the ability to fight.  

Dumbbell squat 2 x 12 (body upright and ass as low as it can go. I don't bend over and deadlift the weight. I use straps for grip. Brutal exercise.)
leg extensions 3 x 12
seated leg curl 2 x 10 ( this expensive gym machine stinks compared to the cheap one I have in my basement. Just made wrong.)
leg press 2 x 12 then add weight 1 x 8 ( felt dizzy after. Heart or I was holding my breath unintentionally?)

Seated calf machine 2 x 15 ( hurt my bad foot but just like a dope I did them anyway)

ab coaster 2 x 24 20lbs
twisting ab machine 2 x 10 (incredible machine. Looking forward to hitting the heavy bag again to see if this machine helped)

Before I left I used this lady butt machine. It has enough plates to make it really hard. It's hard to describe with words but you push a pad back standing with a single leg. It's almost like a weird kind of standing squat. Hits the butt hard. (insert joke here)

Other than the gym mayor giving me attitude it was a good training day. I keep to my self when I  train and I rarely talk to anyone. I just want to get the job done. I saw the same people when I arrived and when I left so I was doing something right.

Gym observations:

2. There were a whole crew of ego lifters today. You know the ones. They grab giant dumbbells and in order to use them they short stroke the movement because if the went full range they wouldn't be able to use them. Delusional "strong men."

3. I got caught checking out a girl's ass. Didn't know she was looking at me in the mirror. She didn't seem to mind.

4. So far I haven't been trapped by a trainer trying to sell himself in the 3 weeks I have worked out in this commercial gym. They do hawk members but maybe they can see I know what I'm doing.

5. Making great gains but I still can't do cardio because of an injury to my foot. I think I'm looking pretty good for a non steroid user.  I think the adrenaline flows in the commercial gym and I really push myself. Maybe I have been slacking off in my home gym. This membership has been a good kick in the ass to get me to be the best I can be.

6. I have never been in the locker room. Just afraid of what I will see there. Probably naked old men drying their balls with the hand dryer.  

I LOVE THE OBSERVATIONS...I WOULD HAVE SAID TO THE MAYOR EXCUSE ME BUT UNTIL YOU REACH MY LEVEL OF LEGS I AM THE ONE THAT SAYS 'WITH WHAT'I HAVE JUST ABOUT EVERYONE YOU DESCRIBE IN MY GYM,SOME AMAZING GIRLS/LESBIANS TOO HARDCORE ONES LATLEY,A REAL GYMNAST GIRL IN GREAT SHAPE WHO IN BETWEEN SETS GOES ON THE FULL CHIN UP BAR RAISES HERSELF UP FLIPS SLOWLY OVER DOES A PULLUP AND BACK OVER SUPER SLOW ,DOES HANDSTANDS STRAIGHT UP WALKS THAT WAY AND GOES ONEHANDED WITHOUT DROPPING,,,SHE CAN BE COCKY ITS DESERVING..YES THOSE YOUNG KIDS THROW SOME PRETTY BIG DBELL WITH NO ARMS/PECS TO SPEAK OFF BLOWS MY MIND,,,WHEN IT COMES TO LEGS EVERYONE IN THE GYM KNOWS MY WORKOUTS/INTENSITY SOME WATCH MY SETS,,I'M QUIET IN FULL TRACK SWEATS AND LONG TSHIRT...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 10:10:31 AM »
Trained legs today. I wanted to start with leg press and I saw the gym "mayor" sitting in it. The mayor is this 50 something 6'4" steroid using guy who never stops talking and actually struts when he walks he is so full of himself. I ask him how many sets he has? He says, "With what!?"  I'm just a little perplexed with his ass hole attitude. Figure he thinks it's a rude question to ask. I start my leg day now with dumbbell squats. He has to know deep down inside that a pretty steroid body doesn't mean the ability to fight.  

leg extensions 3 x 12

ab coaster 2 x 24 20lbs

Gym observations:

2. There were a whole crew of ego lifters today. You know the ones. They grab giant dumbbells and in order to use them they short stroke the movement because if the went full range they wouldn't be able to use them. Delusional "strong men."

I like observation 3...  looking at her ass. Everyone does it just got to be discreet  ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 04:56:29 PM »
I LOVE THE OBSERVATIONS...I WOULD HAVE SAID TO THE MAYOR EXCUSE ME BUT UNTIL YOU REACH MY LEVEL OF LEGS I AM THE ONE THAT SAYS 'WITH WHAT'I HAVE JUST ABOUT EVERYONE YOU DESCRIBE IN MY GYM,SOME AMAZING GIRLS/LESBIANS TOO HARDCORE ONES LATLEY,A REAL GYMNAST GIRL IN GREAT SHAPE WHO IN BETWEEN SETS GOES ON THE FULL CHIN UP BAR RAISES HERSELF UP FLIPS SLOWLY OVER DOES A PULLUP AND BACK OVER SUPER SLOW ,DOES HANDSTANDS STRAIGHT UP WALKS THAT WAY AND GOES ONEHANDED WITHOUT DROPPING,,,SHE CAN BE COCKY ITS DESERVING..YES THOSE YOUNG KIDS THROW SOME PRETTY BIG DBELL WITH NO ARMS/PECS TO SPEAK OFF BLOWS MY MIND,,,WHEN IT COMES TO LEGS EVERYONE IN THE GYM KNOWS MY WORKOUTS/INTENSITY SOME WATCH MY SETS,,I'M QUIET IN FULL TRACK SWEATS AND LONG TSHIRT...

Truth be told the mayor has way better legs than me but I don't use steroids. I'm also guessing  I can out sprint him and out distance him in running even if I don't have  bodybuilding legs.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 05:16:22 PM »
This is as close as I can find to a picture of the butt machine I wrote about in my gym. It's not the exact machine but close to the design. It's actually a good leg machine if you go full range.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 06:06:01 PM »
I like observation 3...  looking at her ass. Everyone does it just got to be discreet  ;D
Hahaa yes, classic mirror move. ;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 06:17:33 PM »
Hahaa yes, classic mirror move. ;D

Yep, I got caught. Checking her ass out to see her looking at me right in the eyes in the mirror.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 07:16:17 PM »
Yep, I got caught. Checking her ass out to see her looking at me right in the eyes in the mirror.
I bet she didn't bother to move, kept on teasing you.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 07:56:23 PM »
back
 chins wide x2x12 inner x2 x10
tbar row basic front loaded standup version 2 plates/2.5/3/3.5
low cable rows 160/180/180 sets 10
underhand pulldowns x3
standup stretch pulldowns to waist slight bend at waist x3

weighted hypers x3x12-15

shrugs
225x15
275 x12
295x 12
295x12

reverse shrug
225x12
275x12
275x12

calves
4 drops standing calf raises 200/180/160/140 10 reps per 3x

abs

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 08:49:48 PM »
Isn't there already a Mature Training thread in the Training subforum?

Why make another one?
X

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 08:52:42 PM »

Why make another one?

His old coot memory must have forgotten, HA!
(See you fags there in 7 years...)
?

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 09:00:53 PM »

Why make another one?
Donny got mad cause he couldn't control it, started one here, it was moved to the training board so I merged it with the original and now Donny has talked oldtimer1 into starting this one.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2015, 11:03:46 PM »
back
 chins wide x2x12 inner x2 x10
tbar row basic front loaded standup version 2 plates/2.5/3/3.5
low cable rows 160/180/180 sets 10
underhand pulldowns x3
standup stretch pulldowns to waist slight bend at waist x3

weighted hypers x3x12-15

shrugs
225x15
275 x12
295x 12
295x12

reverse shrug
225x12
275x12
275x12

calves
4 drops standing calf raises 200/180/160/140 10 reps per 3x

abs

Do you find you get a full range of movement using that weight? Are you using a bar or other connected shrug device as opposed to dumbbells? I like to use the Hammer strength bench press for shrugs because each side is independent of the other and I can use more weight. I like doing shrugs. I might add them in on Saturday when I work delts.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2015, 11:09:27 PM »
I like observation 3...  looking at her ass. Everyone does it just got to be discreet 

Being a kindly old man, you wouldn't believe what I can get away with.  ;D

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2015, 12:35:19 AM »
Donny got mad cause he couldn't control it, started one here, it was moved to the training board so I merged it with the original and now Donny has talked oldtimer1 into starting this one.

Oldtimer1(Rich) saw an intelligent solution, you didn't...simple as that. ;)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2015, 12:42:25 AM »
Being a kindly old man, you wouldn't believe what I can get away with.  ;D
I believe you Jay..  ;D  we had to change the direction the Adduction/Abduction machines were facing because ..well i guess some made it too obvious.. :D