Author Topic: Big tax hike in Oregon results in substantially less revenue (Rich people left)  (Read 3740 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
simple example

Reagan raised social security tax to pay for tax cuts he gave to the weathly

every tax cut that is not paid for with spending cuts just passes the burden/defict to the masses

in general the "class warfare" claim is bullshit

there never was a war

the wealthy won by default yet they are always the one making the claim that such a war exists
LOL so by that logic obama spending more and raising and wanting to raise taxes on the wealthy is class warfare by the poor?

what percentage of the tax burden do you think is right for the top 10% or earners in the US?

and same for the bottom 50%?

thanks in advance for answering the questions  

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
LOL so by that logic obama spending more and raising and wanting to raise taxes on the wealthy is class warfare by the poor?

what percentage of the tax burden do you think is right for the top 10% or earners in the US?

thanks in advance for answering the questions  

The Republicans holding up every bit of legislation until they get tax cuts for millionares (keep in mind that the Dems offered favorable tax cuts up to 500k or so and it wasn't good enough) is definitely class warfare in fact it's outright warfare against our country regardless of class

tonymctones

• Getbig V
The Republicans holding up every bit of legislation until they get tax cuts for millionares (keep in mind that the Dems offered favorable tax cuts up to 500k or so and it wasn't good enough) is definitely class warfare in fact it's outright warfare against our country regardless of class
LOL again so obama raising spending and funding it by raising taxes on the rich is class warfare as well?

thanks in advance for answering the questions  ;)

FOR THE FOURTH TIME!!!!

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
LOL again so obama raising spending and funding it by raising taxes on the rich is class warfare as well?

thanks in advance for answering the questions  ;)

FOR THE FOURTH TIME!!!!

spare me the caps and bold

I've said all I care to on the matter of the phony baloney class war on the rich

If you can't figure out my point of view then go back and read this thread again

tonymctones

• Getbig V
spare me the caps and bold

I've said all I care to on the matter of the phony baloney class war on the rich

If you can't figure out my point of view then go back and read this thread again
LOL by your logic brain child increasing spending and raising taxes on the rich is class warfare by the poor

do you not understand that?

way to not address any of the questions, how old are you seriously?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
LOL by your logic brain child increasing spending and raising taxes on the rich is class warfare by the poor
do you not understand that?

way to not address any of the questions, how old are you seriously?

did I say that?

No I did not

as usual, I simply have run out of patience and interest with trying to explain things to you over and over again

tonymctones

• Getbig V
did I say that?

No I did not

as usual, I simply have run out of patience and interest with trying to explain things to you over and over again
LOL you said that reagan cutting social security to pay for tax cuts for the rich was an example of the rich ppls warfare on the poor

so logically obama wanting to extend unemployment benefits while trying to raise taxes on the rich to pay for it is?

follow the logic dumb ass  ::)

goodness gracious youre bright one  :o

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
LOL you said that reagan cutting social security to pay for tax cuts for the rich was an example of the rich ppls warfare on the poor

so logically obama wanting to extend unemployment benefits while trying to raise taxes on the rich to pay for it is?

follow the logic dumb ass  ::)

goodness gracious youre bright one  :o

oh brother

the logic professor strikes again

go back and re-read the thread and you'll know exactly what I think about phony claim of class war made by the rich and only by the rich

tonymctones

• Getbig V
oh brother

the logic professor strikes again

go back and re-read the thread and you'll know exactly what I think about phony claim of class war made by the rich and only by the rich

LOL its using your same logic

hahahahah yet another classic straw man thread as I said earlier

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
REVIEW & OUTLOOKMAY 27, 2009.
Millionaires Go Missing
Maryland's fleeced taxpayers fight back

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:79Jn15BeztoJ:online.wsj.com/article/SB124329282377252471.html+maryland+millionaires+leave+state&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Here's a two-minute drill in soak-the-rich economics:

Maryland couldn't balance its budget last year, so the state tried to close the shortfall by fleecing the wealthy. Politicians in Annapolis created a millionaire tax bracket, raising the top marginal income-tax rate to 6.25%. And because cities such as Baltimore and Bethesda also impose income taxes, the state-local tax rate can go as high as 9.45%. Governor Martin O'Malley, a dedicated class warrior, declared that these richest 0.3% of filers were "willing and able to pay their fair share." The Baltimore Sun predicted the rich would "grin and bear it."

One year later, nobody's grinning. One-third of the millionaires have disappeared from Maryland tax rolls. In 2008 roughly 3,000 million-dollar income tax returns were filed by the end of April. This year there were 2,000, which the state comptroller's office concedes is a "substantial decline." On those missing returns, the government collects 6.25% of nothing. Instead of the state coffers gaining the extra $106 million the politicians predicted, millionaires paid $100 million less in taxes than they did last year -- even at higher rates.

No doubt the majority of that loss in millionaire filings results from the recession. However, this is one reason that depending on the rich to finance government is so ill-advised: Progressive tax rates create mountains of cash during good times that vanish during recessions. For evidence, consult California, New York and New Jersey (see here).

The Maryland state revenue office says it's "way too early" to tell how many millionaires moved out of the state when the tax rates rose. But no one disputes that some rich filers did leave. It's easier than the redistributionists think. Christopher Summers, president of the Maryland Public Policy Institute, notes: "Marylanders with high incomes typically own second homes in tax friendlier states like Florida, Delaware, South Carolina and Virginia. So it's easy for them to change their residency."

All of this means that the burden of paying for bloated government in Annapolis will fall on the middle class. Thanks to the futility of soaking the rich, these working families will now pay Mr. O'Malley's "fair share."

:o  :o  :o

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
The war is the govt against the taxpayer.

so the United States of America is conducting a war against it's own citizens?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Yes.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Those missing millionaires
Waterbury Republican-Republican ^ | December 28, 2010 | Editorial

________________________ ________________________ _________________

The left-leaning Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy and right-leaning Wall Street Journal editorial page are debating the whereabouts of thousands of missing millionaires. It seems that whenever a state government imposes a big tax increase on high-earning or wealthy taxpayers — they're not always one and the same — revenue projections turn up catastrophically wrong because the so-called millionaires are nowhere to be found.

For example, Maryland expected to raise $106 million in 2008 by increasing the income-tax rate on high earners from 4.75 percent to 6.25 percent. Instead, "taxes paid by rich filers fell by 22 percent, and instead of their payments increasing by $106 million, they fell by some $257 million," the Journal's editorial page observed March 17.

More recently, the Journal revisited the Maryland experience by way of Oregon. "In 2009 the state legislature raised the tax rate to 10.8 percent on joint-filer income of between $250,000 and $500,000, and to 11 percent on income above $500,000," the Journal noted Dec. 21. "Instead of $180 million collected last year from the new tax, the state received $130 million."

During the same period, the number of high-end filers declined from 38,000 to 28,000. That's where ITEP jumps in.

"There is a much simpler explanation for this discrepancy," it said in a Dec. 22 paper. "These 10,000 taxpayers earned less than the Legislative Revenue Office expected in 2009 as a result of the economic recession, and therefore fell below the income threshold at which the new brackets took effect."

Hmmm. All of them? So the Journal was wrong when it pointed out in March, "A lot of rich people have two homes," and not a single tycoon was moved to declare himself a legal resident of Florida?

What the tax-increasers and class-warfarists never seem to understand is that everybody — rich, poor and those in the middle — makes financial decisions based on rational evaluations of their circumstances.

A few years ago, a study found a poor person living in Connecticut, lacking skills and education, would have to earn $14 an hour by working to match the benefits, in cash and services, he received through various public-assistance programs. He's not lazy or stupid; quite the opposite. By not working, he's making a rational economic decision based on the fact he couldn't earn $14 an hour in the work force.

Of course, if those welfare benefits were withdrawn, he'd have to move to a state where welfare benefits were more generous or the cost of living was commensurate with the amount he could actually earn in a job. Such a circumstance would result in a better life for him and a lighter burden on taxpayers.

Is it any wonder wealthy people and high earners — again, not necessarily one and the same — respond in much the same way to economic stimuli and impositions by government?

This year, Connecticut lawmakers and the new governor, Dan Malloy, will have some tough decisions to make regarding taxes, spending and entitlements. They should be wary of solutions that send them down the same paths Oregon, and Maryland before it, followed, to their eventual dismay.