Author Topic: " All-loving God "  (Read 43996 times)

Wikidudeman

• Getbig II
  • Nu mă, Nu mă iei!
Re: " All-loving God "
« Reply #200 on: April 27, 2007, 12:55:26 PM »
You were doing what?  Paraphrasing?  Yeah, sure you were. 

So if it doesn't say that the inhabitants are buried, that means that they were not buried?  No, it doesn't mean that. 

The "booty" or "plunder" or "spoils" would include the human beings? Why?  That's false in general, but even in this one passage it is false.  Here God is being very specifics about to do with each one separately: "people", "livestock" and "plunder". 

Wikidudeman,
Is it necessary for you to paraphrase the Bible in order to make your point?  Why do you have to resort to deception and why do you have to put words in God's mouth?  Do you realize what this does to your credibility?

We all know that THAT means?  Really?  What does it mean?  That those virgins became sex slaves?  It doesn't say that, does it?  Above you said that if the Bible doesn't say it, it didn't happen.  Again, you are being manipulative to make your point.  If according to you, the Bible is full of errors and contradictions, why are you having to interpret, paraphrase and add to God's word to make your point?  You shouldn't have to do that to prove your point, right?

I never mentioned sex slaves. Where'd you get that from?  8)

The fact that you notice it implies they will be kept as sex slaves is evidence enough. I never mentioned sex slaves and yet you still realized that was the implication. The fact that Moses made sure that they only kept the women or young girls who had not had sex before is pretty clear that they intended to keep them for sex slaves. Are you truly naive enough to believe otherwise?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #201 on: April 27, 2007, 01:08:30 PM »
The fact that you notice it implies they will be kept as sex slaves is evidence enough. I never mentioned sex slaves and yet you still realized that was the implication.

This has been debated for years and skeptics always bring it up to say God told them to take up "sex slaves".  That's where I came up with that and I know that's what you mean. 

But 1. It  doesn't say that.  And 2. what we know of the culture and the time tells us that is not what they were for.  Israeli men did not keep sex slaves.   ;D

Wikidudeman

• Getbig II
  • Nu mă, Nu mă iei!
« Reply #202 on: April 27, 2007, 01:46:23 PM »
This has been debated for years and skeptics always bring it up to say God told them to take up "sex slaves".  That's where I came up with that and I know that's what you mean. 

But 1. It  doesn't say that.  And 2. what we know of the culture and the time tells us that is not what they were for.  Israeli men did not keep sex slaves.   ;D

Wrong.

Leviticus 25:44-46
44 However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you.
45 You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property,
46 passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way.

Exodus 21:7-11
7 "When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are.
8 If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her.
9 And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter.
10 If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife.
11 If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #203 on: April 27, 2007, 02:07:38 PM »
wow,  God talks of owning slaves?

The word of GOD?

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #204 on: April 27, 2007, 02:10:05 PM »

The word of GOD?

Homosexuality bad, but slavery ok?

Yeah,  this is Logical.

this is divine. 

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #205 on: April 27, 2007, 02:24:07 PM »

Yeah,  this is Logical.

this is divine. 

all praise be to allah.

it is a book written by men. although i have to give props to loco who maintains himself, and doesnt regress into name calling.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #206 on: April 28, 2007, 09:37:53 AM »
Wrong.

Leviticus 25:44-46
44 However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you.
45 You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property,
46 passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way.

7 "When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are.
8 If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her.
9 And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter.
10 If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife.
11 If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment.

Wikidudeman,
These are NOT "sex slaves".  I never said that Israelites didn't own slaves.  I said that Israelites did not own "sex slaves", which is the point that you are trying to make.

[/quote]

We can start a whole new thread on the Bible on slavery, but the point here is that these were not "sex slaves".  Slave owners may have had sex with them, I don't know, but the Bible does not say that God would approve of this. 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #207 on: April 28, 2007, 10:23:23 AM »

The word of GOD?

OzmO,
Yes, He does:

Deuteronomy 23:15-16
15 “You shall not give back to his master the slave who has escaped from his master to you. 16 He may dwell with you in your midst, in the place which he chooses within one of your gates, where it seems best to him; you shall not oppress him."

Isaiah 58:6
"Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?"

Jeremiah 34:10
So all the officials and people who entered into this covenant agreed that they would free their male and female slaves and no longer hold them in bondage. They agreed, and set them free.

Galatians 3:28
There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

OzmO, I find that everything I post gets nick picked, questioned, picked apart, and over analyzed by you, which is fine with me.  However, as soon as Wiki posts something against Christianity or the Bible, you immediately accept it as fact.

I really think it's cool how you don't just accept anything I post, but you analyze it, ask questions and pick it apart.  But I do suggest you do the same with Wiki or with anyone who posts here.  A lot of what he posts is false.  Who can blame him?  He's just copying and pasting stuff from the Internet, mainly Wikipedia.

Wikidudeman , God bless you!  I'm praying for you, that God will guide you to the truth so that you too may have forgiveness and eternal life through faith in Jesus Christ!

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #208 on: April 28, 2007, 10:25:48 AM »
it is a book written by men. although i have to give props to loco who maintains himself, and doesnt regress into name calling.

Thanks, usmokepole!  But I give God credit even for that.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #209 on: April 28, 2007, 10:31:55 AM »

Yeah,  this is Logical.

this is divine. 

OzmO,
You are correct, that the Bible does openly and very clearly condem Homosexuality. 

The Bible does not openly condem slavery.  However, the Bible never says that slavery is okay or that it is a good thing either.  So these two issues can't compare.

15 “You shall not give back to his master the slave who has escaped from his master to you. 16 He may dwell with you in your midst, in the place which he chooses within one of your gates, where it seems best to him; you shall not oppress him."

"Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?"

So all the officials and people who entered into this covenant agreed that they would free their male and female slaves and no longer hold them in bondage. They agreed, and set them free.

There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #210 on: April 28, 2007, 11:58:32 AM »
From what i understand it was acceptable, i don;t know if it was considered moral.  Adultery is certainly part of our culture but we don't consider it moral.

Ozmo,
I think you need to read about "Greek pederasty".  It was considered moral, very moral, and not by just a few Greeks, but by all of Greek civilisation for a long period of time.  They even considered that the practice itself so "spiritual" moral and good that it was what separated them from Barbarians.  Can you believe that?

These men who had sex with boys may have not felt any inkling of wrong doing becuase fo what their culture taught them.  They also may have not been in any way in touch with God inside them. 
Not all men had sex with boys....not all men commit adultery.  So many people in this world, and i'm sure you'll agree, are so spiritually detracted.  Probably wasn't much different then.

The entire civilization was out of touch with the god inside of them?  How can that be?  No, not all of them had sex with boys, but all of them thought it was moral and "beautiful", what separated them from barbarians. 

I wouldn't believed it was moral becuase i would have saw the boys suffering.

How?  How would you have seen the boys suffering?  The act was specifically a one on one act.  A mentor or teacher would take a little boy under his care, teach him morality and...have sex with him.  How would you have witnessed the boys suffering unless you were the one having sex with the boy? 

Are you saying that you are good, while they were all evil, everyone of them?  Does this not contradict your belief that all humans are good and do not need forgiveness or a savior?

Remember not to confuse a small part of that culture with every man living in Greece at the time.

No, not a small part.  It was all of Greece and for a long period of time that they believed the practice was "spiritual", good and moral.

i agree, that's why culture's progress, societies progress.  That's what ultimately this Internet will do for the world.....help it progress.  You remember 16th century Japan?  Killing was normal.  The value of life was viewed differently.

Progress?  At that point in time, with such a civilized and advanced culture, I would call that regress, not progress.

Access wouldn't be the same as it is today and why would they want to?  Why would they give any credit to it?  Remember, not all religions are good, almost all have some truth in them, moral consistencies, but some have very few.  In that culture, although they had access, base on their upbringing, environment, culture, the ordinary Greek wouldn't pay any mind to it.
This is where most christains are out of touch with reality.  They think because it was around back then or even now that people have no excuse.  Is that why you believe 80 billion will go to hell?

OzmO, I said that they had access to the Bible only in case the argument was made that they did not have access to it.  Why would they want to have access to the Bible?  They did want to, and they went through a whole lot of trouble to get access to the Bible.  You need to read the "Letter of Aristeas" to get an idea of the trouble the Greeks went through to obtain the Bible.  Once they finally had it translated, it was available at the Library of Alexandria, where Greek scholars, teachers, mentors, philosophers, religious leaders and all the people of influence had access to it.

Letter of Aristeas
http://www.ccel.org/c/charles/otpseudepig/aristeas.htm

It's not a little voice,  it's more of a feeling.  You need a book, written thousands of years ago that's full of manipulation, violence, etc... I guess, to tell you what's right and wrong, and i don't.  I trust the voice of God and what God gave me, the sense of right and wrong,  not someone else's interpretation which in organized religion is for the purpose of promoting and growing the said church. 

Well, this book, the Bible, would have kept me from accepting such immoral practice as moral had I lived there in those days.  The god inside the Greeks did not work.  But the Bible had already established that such life style is immoral.

I don't need a scientific study to know when someone is suffering do you?  (you asked for proof, so i said "scientific study", but real the proof is in the boy's suffering)

No, I don't need a scientific study to know when someone is suffering.  But again, how would you have known boys were suffering in those days due to Greek pederasty?  Unless you yourself were present in the act, either by participating or by witnessing it? 

Also, how do you know a certain life style today is not going to create a "victim" or cause a person emotional trauma years down the road?  In some cases, yes, scientific studies are needed to find out why all of a sudden a certain generation of people have damage of some kind, physical, emotional, etc.  Some times it takes years to notice that people are suffering due to a certain practice, habit or life style.  But when it comes to morality, I will not sit around and wait until a scientific study proves to me what is moral or what is immoral.  I will go by what the Bible says.  The Bible sets the moral standards and it is the final authority in my life.

OzmO, based on the above, I cannot share your beliefs without running into a dilemma.  That is why I cannot rely on the little voice inside of me, or wait for culture to progress, or for scientific studies to tell me what is moral and what is immoral.

Wikidudeman

• Getbig II
  • Nu mă, Nu mă iei!
« Reply #211 on: April 28, 2007, 02:36:45 PM »
Wikidudeman,
These are NOT "sex slaves".  I never said that Israelites didn't own slaves.  I said that Israelites did not own "sex slaves", which is the point that you are trying to make.

We can start a whole new thread on the Bible on slavery, but the point here is that these were not "sex slaves".  Slave owners may have had sex with them, I don't know, but the Bible does not say that God would approve of this. 

It says "If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again." Anyone who doesn't see this as sex slavery really has some problems of perception due to their preconceived notions.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #212 on: April 28, 2007, 04:18:11 PM »

It says "If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again." Anyone who doesn't see this as sex slavery really has some problems of perception due to their preconceived notions.

not at all. please can mean many things, such as obedience, loyalty,hard working etc etc... qualities i would want in a slave. your "argument" that please somehow infers sexual favors is misguided and wrong. what are the qualities that are prized in a slave?

i assume that "please" means her ability to perform those duties. some of the duties may be sex, but yet again your argument is inconclusive.

"please" can be interpreted many ways, and yours is just one of many.

i dont want to argue with you im just supporting loco in his argument against your non-sense.

if i bought an animal, it may not "please" me, this can be applied to the situation outlined above. it doesnt mean the dog didnt lick my balls, it may have had a bad temperment, been ugly, smelled etc etc.

wrong again. continue on loco ;D

Wikidudeman

• Getbig II
  • Nu mă, Nu mă iei!
« Reply #213 on: April 28, 2007, 05:05:23 PM »
not at all. please can mean many things, such as obedience, loyalty,hard working etc etc... qualities i would want in a slave.

Including sex.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #214 on: April 28, 2007, 05:17:06 PM »

Including sex.

yes i said that. however, "Anyone who doesn't see this as sex slavery really has some problems of perception due to their preconceived notions" is a bit of a stretch. also, it could me some or all of said qualities, the point is it is speculation on both parties sides, and loco doesnt have perception problems. its like his saying it means "cooking veggie soup slaves" because that would be pleasing, and saying you have a perception problem if you dont see "please" to indicate that.

your please is just one of many interpretations, and to assume its the correct one for some reason you have yet to prove is false.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #215 on: April 29, 2007, 04:26:20 PM »
OzmO,
Yes, He does:

OzmO, I find that everything I post gets nick picked, questioned, picked apart, and over analyzed by you, which is fine with me.  However, as soon as Wiki posts something against Christianity or the Bible, you immediately accept it as fact.

I really think it's cool how you don't just accept anything I post, but you analyze it, ask questions and pick it apart.  But I do suggest you do the same with Wiki or with anyone who posts here.  A lot of what he posts is false.  Who can blame him?  He's just copying and pasting stuff from the Internet, mainly Wikipedia.

Wikidudeman , God bless you!  I'm praying for you, that God will guide you to the truth so that you too may have forgiveness and eternal life through faith in Jesus Christ!

The mere fact the "god" described in the Bible gives advice or direction on purchasing slaves, treating children of other families as "property", selling daughters as slaves and keeping them slaves longer than men, is reprehensible and not indicative or representative of, Jesus or God.  And then at the same time making homosexuality a sin?

this is the crap that Slavery was justified with by white westerners for years. 

That is pathetic.  It looks like the word of Satan to me.

How can you sit there and say the bible is the word of God when "god" is giving out advice on how to manage slaves? 

And you call this book a moral compass?   ::)

That is not GOD.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #216 on: April 29, 2007, 04:29:31 PM »
Ozmo if you don't believe the Bible is God's inspired word, what do you rely on to help determine right and wrong? 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #217 on: April 29, 2007, 04:36:54 PM »
Ozmo if you don't believe the Bible is God's inspired word, what do you rely on to help determine right and wrong? 

for the most part i believe it is.  Just not 100%,  actually quite less than 100%.   People get their morals from many places but we all know the difference between right and wrong.  Some just chose not to pay attention to it.

don't confuse this......i'm not saying you can't get morals from the bible.

unless it comes to slavery  ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #218 on: April 29, 2007, 04:42:08 PM »
for the most part i believe it is.  Just not 100%,  actually quite less than 100%.   People get their morals from many places but we all know the difference between right and wrong.  Some just chose not to pay attention to it.

don't confuse this......i'm not saying you can't get morals from the bible.

unless it comes to slavery  ::)

But how do you determine which parts are inspired and which parts are not?  Is it just the parts you disagree with that you don't consider God's word?

These are not set-up questions.  Just trying to understand where you're coming from. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #219 on: April 29, 2007, 04:58:54 PM »
Ozmo,
I think you need to read about "Greek pederasty".  It was considered moral, very moral, and not by just a few Greeks, but by all of Greek civilisation for a long period of time.  They even considered that the practice itself so "spiritual" moral and good that it was what separated them from Barbarians.  Can you believe that?

Really it was considered moral by ALL Greeks? 

Was there a poll? 

Did everyone fill out survey questions?

Did every Greek that ever lived during that time feel the exact same way?

Do you tell yourself this stuff and actually believe it?   ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Com on loco,  we are both educated people here.

While it may have been a part of main stream culture does not take away from the fact children were suffering and it is certain that people knew of their suffering INCLUDING the parents who eventually grew up.  And while most just repeated what happened to them, some didn't....much like child abuse from generation to generation.  I'm sure there were many families that didn't practice it.

It's common sense loco.  Common sense evolves.....  just society has.......like WITH SLAVES FOR EXAMPLE .......no thanks to the stupid BIBLE.

The entire civilization was out of touch with the god inside of them?  How can that be?  No, not all of them had sex with boys, but all of them thought it was moral and "beautiful", what separated them from barbarians. 

How?  How would you have seen the boys suffering?  The act was specifically a one on one act.  A mentor or teacher would take a little boy under his care, teach him morality and...have sex with him.  How would you have witnessed the boys suffering unless you were the one having sex with the boy? 

Are you really asking me this question?

Were you lying about your education on another thread?

Tell you what,  I'm not going to even answer that.  Go find a place that treats children who have been molested, or go to Borders and buy a book on it.

You starting to look like you'll say anything to make a point in a debate.

No, not a small part.  It was all of Greece and for a long period of time that they believed the practice was "spiritual", good and moral.

here we go again, using "all" to make a point in describing poeple on something 2300 years ago.   Do you use "every" and "always" too when you get in arguments?

OzmO, I said that they had access to the Bible only in case the argument was made that they did not have access to it.  Why would they want to have access to the Bible?  They did want to, and they went through a whole lot of trouble to get access to the Bible.  You need to read the "Letter of Aristeas" to get an idea of the trouble the Greeks went through to obtain the Bible.  Once they finally had it translated, it was available at the Library of Alexandria, where Greek scholars, teachers, mentors, philosophers, religious leaders and all the people of influence had access to it.

So what?  you have access to a Koran right?  Doesn't mean you are going to read it and make a change to it.  Same with them.  But you figure they had their chance and didn't take it so too bad they are going to have to go to hell huh?

Quite typically arrogant of Christians.

Progress?  At that point in time, with such a civilized and advanced culture, I would call that regress, not progress.
What do you mean here?   

I was pointing out that 16th century Japan was screwed up and now it's progressed.  they don;t kill as a matter of practice when someone doesn't pay the appropriate respect to a samuri.

Well, this book, the Bible, would have kept me from accepting such immoral practice as moral had I lived there in those days.  The god inside the Greeks did not work.  But the Bible had already established that such life style is immoral.

Again you are making an "all" assumption.  Remember i'm not saying you can't get morals from the Bible, i'm saying the bible isn't the 100% word of god.
No, I don't need a scientific study to know when someone is suffering.  But again, how would you have known boys were suffering in those days due to Greek pederasty?  Unless you yourself were present in the act, either by participating or by witnessing it?

If i was a greek, i would have been present in the act as a boy. 

Also, how do you know a certain life style today is not going to create a "victim" or cause a person emotional trauma years down the road?  In some cases, yes, scientific studies are needed to find out why all of a sudden a certain generation of people have damage of some kind, physical, emotional, etc.  Some times it takes years to notice that people are suffering due to a certain practice, habit or life style.  But when it comes to morality, I will not sit around and wait until a scientific study proves to me what is moral or what is immoral.  I will go by what the Bible says.  The Bible sets the moral standards and it is the final authority in my life.

So slavery is moral then?  You're ok with that?

OzmO, based on the above, I cannot share your beliefs without running into a dilemma.  That is why I cannot rely on the little voice inside of me, or wait for culture to progress, or for scientific studies to tell me what is moral and what is immoral.

Hey man,  I'm not trying to convince you of anything.  my point here is that the Bible is not the 100% word of god and you have done quite a lot in this debate to convince me of just that.

And also, it's too bad you do not have the confidence in yourself and of the tools and access to God which he gave you  from birth as his creation,   instead your security and direction lies in a book.

You see, murdering 3000 people is wrong.  Anyone can see that, just like they can with slavery.  But a person who's shut off part of his common sense (another great gift from God) will be sure find some alibi to justify it.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #220 on: April 29, 2007, 05:00:38 PM »
But how do you determine which parts are inspired and which parts are not?  Is it just the parts you disagree with that you don't consider God's word?

These are not set-up questions.  Just trying to understand where you're coming from. 

if i went back a re-read it all i could give you detailed answers,  but let's just stick with God ordering the murder of 3000 people in exodus fro being insecure while moses came down with the 10 commandments one of which was:  thou shall not kill.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #221 on: April 29, 2007, 05:07:53 PM »
if i went back a re-read it all i could give you detailed answers,  but let's just stick with God ordering the murder of 3000 people in exodus fro being insecure while moses came down with the 10 commandments one of which was:  thou shall not kill.

I'm not asking for details or specific instances, just how you, in general, determine what is and is not the inspired word.  Sounds like it's just the parts you disagree with? 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #222 on: April 29, 2007, 05:12:46 PM »
I'm not asking for details or specific instances, just how you, in general, determine what is and is not the inspired word.  Sounds like it's just the parts you disagree with? 

i don't disagree with the book in it's entirety, but i do disagree that it's the 100% word of God. 

There is quite a lot of what i would consider the W.O.G in it.  Lessons of compassion, charity, resolve.

Wikidudeman

• Getbig II
  • Nu mă, Nu mă iei!
« Reply #223 on: April 29, 2007, 07:28:09 PM »

Studies show that moral choices of atheists and those who are religions are statistically the same.

www.wjh.harvard.edu/~mnkylab/publications/recent/HauserSingerMoralRelig05.pdf

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #224 on: April 29, 2007, 07:41:55 PM »
Studies show that moral choices of atheists and those who are religions are statistically the same.

www.wjh.harvard.edu/~mnkylab/publications/recent/HauserSingerMoralRelig05.pdf

"religious".