Author Topic: B12 - Cyanocobalamin  (Read 1460 times)

Emmortal

• Getbig V
B12 - Cyanocobalamin
« on: March 23, 2008, 01:43:05 PM »
&feature=related

Any truth to this?  I had just picked up some injectable B12 and it's of course the Cyanocobaliamin =)  Thankfully I haven't used any yet but wanted to get some feedback from people if this is true or not.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
Re: B12 - Cyanocobalamin
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 08:29:25 PM »
im going to research this, methylcobalmin is the active form that crosses the blood brain barrier.

I would much rather use the methyl form.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 08:30:03 PM »
aren't you a doctor? if so, why dont you just research it yourself?

if not, nevermind. :D

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 08:32:40 PM »
I'm not a doctor heh, not sure where you got that from.

And from what I've been researching, this guy is the only negative I can find about it.  It's commonly prescribed by doctors to patients with B12 deficiencies so I don't think there's really any truth to it.  Unless someone else has something to throw in...

E N A N T H A T O R

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 08:36:58 PM »
im going to research this, methylcobalmin is the active form that crosses the blood brain barrier.

I would much rather use the methyl form.
Correct

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 08:38:01 PM »
I'm not a doctor heh, not sure where you got that from.

And from what I've been researching, this guy is the only negative I can find about it.  It's commonly prescribed by doctors to patients with B12 deficiencies so I don't think there's really any truth to it.  Unless someone else has something to throw in...

i think the guy is a tit, but im in the process of trying to dig up some info on pubmed, ill let you know if i find something as im interested in this as well. It is the shittier form, but i doubt it is toxic, and all anti-oxidants can be pro oxidants, fish oil has shown negative effects in studies, so take it with a grain of salt.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 08:48:43 PM »
From the full text

"Recently, a number of cobalamin analogs were subjected to in vivo testing in rats. Some of them caused marked elevations in the serum levels of homocysteine and methylmalonic acid, suggesting vitamin B12 antagonism.14 Among the most active of these compounds was hydroxocobalamin [c-lactam], a B-ring derivative formed when cobalamin is heated in alkaline solution. The closely related compound, cyanocobalamin [c-lactam], was therefore examined in tissue culture, for the purpose of developing a model of vitamin B12-deficient hematopoiesis. "

this guy who is selling this shit says its what he uses in his products then goes on to say that cyanocobalamin is the anti-vitamin? Dude is a fucking moron, the study also linked his perferred form of B12 more so, maybe thats why its cheaper because its shit.

cyanocobalamin seems to be decently safe and the only bad studies i could pull from pubmed in this short time is under the same author with no other contributors.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 09:03:08 PM »
ALSO. his statement on blindness and b12 injections

"Vitamin B-12 in the form of cyanocobalamin is contraindicated in early Leber's disease, which is hereditary optic nerve atrophy. Cyanocobalamin can cause severe and swift optic atrophy, but other forms of vitamin B-12 are available"

from wiki, so it seems that this does happen but in people with a genetic disorder of the eye.

cyanocobalamin converts to all the forms in the liver, with the least of these being methylcobalamin.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 12:12:38 PM »
That's pretty much what I had gathered.  Methylcobalamin being the preferred form that we would want to take and cyanocobalamin is "ok" just not the best.  I noticed in my beef liver tabs that they alos have the cyanocobalamin form of B12 as well which made me doubt this nit wit even more heh.