Author Topic: Any atheists read The Bible/Book of Mormon/Quran  (Read 4038 times)

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
Any atheists read The Bible/Book of Mormon/Quran
« on: April 16, 2013, 03:03:37 PM »
For the historical aspect, and not "convert"?  I ask, because I believe most that aren't into that, will read it in a moment of vulnerability and ultimately be looking for something and become born again or whatever. My question, anyone read any of these books, put them down when done reading, and think, "huh, well that was entertaining" and move on? Any of you atheist convert after reading? I'd like your input getbig.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Re: Any atheists read The Bible/Book of Mormon/Quran
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 03:06:11 PM »
Yeah, they are all garbage.

Check this out:

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2010/0928/In-US-atheists-know-religion-better-than-believers.-Is-that-bad

In US, atheists know religion better than believers. Is that bad?
A new study shows that many devout Americans know less about religion than do atheists. To some observers, it suggests a shallowness of faith. To others, it is evidence that Americans know the spirit better than the letter of religion.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 03:07:00 PM »
The US Religious Knowledge Survey, released Tuesday from the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life, found atheists and agnostics know more basic facts about the Bible than either Protestants or Catholics.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 03:08:06 PM »
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/sep/28/nation/la-na-religion-survey-20100928

Atheists, agnostics most knowledgeable about religion, survey says
Report says nonbelievers know more, on average, about religion than most faithful. Jews and Mormons also score high on the U.S. Religious Knowledge Survey.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 03:12:37 PM »
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/sep/28/nation/la-na-religion-survey-20100928

Atheists, agnostics most knowledgeable about religion, survey says
Report says nonbelievers know more, on average, about religion than most faithful. Jews and Mormons also score high on the U.S. Religious Knowledge Survey.

I'm telling you, those are two squared away groups of people. The religion is run more businesslike than some evangelical idiot who is lining his own pockets fleecing the congregation, and doing the opposite of what he says one should do.   I have a buddy that goes to a church where the pastor lives in a three million dollar house and flies a helicopter to services. But hey, he's got "charisma"  ::)

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 03:14:17 PM »
  I have read most of them. NRP.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 03:14:59 PM »
  I have read most of them. NRP.

NRP = no reply? ???

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 03:15:09 PM »
Dragonforce is my religion  8)  :D

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 03:15:41 PM »
ttt for 2,000.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 03:18:06 PM »
bible, quran, torah, talmud, sanskrit, etc

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 03:18:33 PM »
I have found that atheists are very smart people. Well read in the religious texts

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 03:19:55 PM »
I'm telling you, those are two squared away groups of people. The religion is run more businesslike than some evangelical idiot who is lining his own pockets fleecing the congregation, and doing the opposite of what he says one should do.   I have a buddy that goes to a church where the pastor lives in a three million dollar house and flies a helicopter to services. But hey, he's got "charisma"  ::)
piousness, no way!
Watch Black Dynamite, the episode where he meets his dad, Daddy Dynamite, who is preacher who fleeces the neighborhood.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 03:20:40 PM »
No Religious Preference

USA

USMC

NRA

NRP

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 05:02:47 PM »
I was an agnostic, afraid to call a spade a spade. Then I read the bible (NT only) and the quran. Now I'm an atheist.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 05:06:47 PM »
I was an agnostic, afraid to call a spade a spade. Then I read the bible (NT only) and the quran. Now I'm an atheist.

Lol.

How's work?

BDsauce

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 05:07:39 PM »
There's a Satan  ;D

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 05:27:26 PM »
why only the New Testament?

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2013, 05:27:59 PM »
Good thread. I was actually going to start reading the bible. Having a child on the way has me thinking I need to better educate myself on religion. Being a science nerd it's going to be tough to do though.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 05:31:46 PM »
Good thread. I was actually going to start reading the bible. Having a child on the way has me thinking I need to better educate myself on religion. Being a science nerd it's going to be tough to do though.

I understand where you're coming from. I had a baby ten days ago and it really gets your brain going. I love history and was going to read the Old Testament for the history aspect of it. I don't really believe in any religion, but think there is something out there, maybe like the movie "Mission to Mars" where we came from aliens or something.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 05:33:53 PM »
not really...as a child I was reading The Animal Encyclopedia and the Dinosaur Dictionary (very technical stuff for a 4th grader) as well as The bible...
You take what they are at face value...and I believe it's time for me to get back into reading the Bible as well. It's sitting right on my counter.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2013, 05:37:06 PM »
I understand where you're coming from. I had a baby ten days ago and it really gets your brain going. I love history and was going to read the Old Testament for the history aspect of it. I don't really believe in any religion, but think there is something out there, maybe like the movie "Mission to Mars" where we came from aliens or something.

Congratulations! Makes sense that having a child would cause one to better understand all religions. I've always been very harsh on the subject, basically stating anyone of religious faith,flat out can't have a brain. Trying to change that giving my child the chance to make that call on their own without influence. Possible? Doubtful.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 05:39:11 PM »
Congratulations! Makes sense that having a child would cause one to better understand all religions. I've always been very harsh on the subject, basically stating anyone of religious faith,flat out can't have a brain. Trying to change that giving my child the chance to make that call on their own without influence. Possible? Doubtful.

Probably what I'll do. Maybe take him to a non denominational, then let him figure it out as I did. My wife is a believer, but we don't argue over it. I do get a little bit of an atheist on a turbulent plane though.  ;D

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2013, 05:45:42 PM »
???
Why would you bother doing this?  ???

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2013, 05:47:01 PM »
Why are you people "going back to the bible"?  There is nothing in it worth a shit.  Its nothing but violence and nonsense?  You want your child to be a Violent, Superstitious Moron?  ???

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2013, 05:47:55 PM »
Lol.

How's work?
Work's great! Actually changed position again (temporary this time) because they needed me back at my old department, where I'm now replacng my former boss until the end of the ear. Yay baby boomers retiring.  ;D