Author Topic: Trying to figure out an out of control heart rate  (Read 1083 times)

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
Trying to figure out an out of control heart rate
« on: September 21, 2009, 05:08:20 PM »
A buddy of mine is a fairly serious runner and for the last month or so on his runs (he does a 6 mile with about 12% grade for at least half the distance) he has been having his heartrate skyrocket uncontrollably. usually it stays about 150-160 but for some reason sporadically it will jump to 230 or so and stay there well over an hour after he is finished running. He had en EKG done and stress test, both were normal. Today he is trying the run with this funky heart monitor the doc gave him. ANybody have any thoughts on this? We theorize it might be caffeine related though he does not drink much coffee. He's I think 39 years old. Does not smoke, no drinking that i know of. He also says it seems to happen if he drinks really cold water before the run. Any thoughts? Besides the stupid BS that I expect here at Getbig...

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Trying to figure out an out of control heart rate
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 05:13:59 PM »
What better place to get advice on heart problems than Getbig?!

WebMD? Nahhh...
Cardiologist? ?? definitley not either

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 05:16:08 PM »

WebMD? Nahhh...

Your name - System Of A Down Inspired ?

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 05:17:32 PM »

WebMD? Nahhh...

Sweet so since YOU are apparently the resident WebMD expert please enlighten me! Also since reading is apparently not your strength he IS seeing a cardiologist. DOH!

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 05:23:16 PM »

Sweet so since YOU are apparently the resident WebMD expert please enlighten me! Also since reading is apparently not your strength he IS seeing a cardiologist. DOH!

I'm not a resident expert on anything other than calling out fucktards when I see them. The opinion of a professional with 10+ years of school in a specialized field has always got to be reviewed by getbiggers.

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 05:24:42 PM »
Your name - System Of A Down Inspired ?

It's got nothing to do with SOAD ... haha havent' even thought of it until you mentioned it.

The first CD was my favorite.

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 05:31:16 PM »
I'm not a resident expert on anything other than calling out fucktards when I see them. The opinion of a professional with 10+ years of school in a specialized field has always got to be reviewed by getbiggers.

When you reach puberty and consequently high school I hope you learn to comprehend material that you read. He IS SEEING  a professional and they have not found anything wrong. I would say 230 beats a minute is a bit fast and for well over an hour post workout would be a little scary. Maybe you disagree???

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 06:19:04 PM »
pluck OFF!

This is Getbig. We are all Medical Doctors, Neurologists, Astrophysicists, Endocronoligists and everything els in between...

Where have you been?

- Block!
?

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 06:42:43 PM »
Maybe LAF (lone atrial fibrilation).  Tell him to google it.  If so, the major threat is clotting in the atrium and stroking out.  Q10, magnesium, no caffeine, and good nutrition/filtered water are all helpful.  Anticoagulants like warfarin could be helpful in some cases (to prevent clotting only, won't stop the fibrilation) but also have their own sides, of course.  Hopefully the monitor will pick up an episode to confirm it, but the downside is that the doc will probably tell him there's nothing to be done about it.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 06:44:32 PM »
A buddy of mine is a fairly serious runner and for the last month or so on his runs (he does a 6 mile with about 12% grade for at least half the distance) he has been having his heartrate skyrocket uncontrollably. usually it stays about 150-160 but for some reason sporadically it will jump to 230 or so and stay there well over an hour after he is finished running. He had en EKG done and stress test, both were normal. Today he is trying the run with this funky heart monitor the doc gave him. ANybody have any thoughts on this? We theorize it might be caffeine related though he does not drink much coffee. He's I think 39 years old. Does not smoke, no drinking that i know of. He also says it seems to happen if he drinks really cold water before the run. Any thoughts? Besides the stupid BS that I expect here at Getbig...

Tell him to cut back on the cocaine and he'll be fine.
Ron: "I am lazy."

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 07:17:44 PM »
Maybe LAF (lone atrial fibrilation).  Tell him to google it.  If so, the major threat is clotting in the atrium and stroking out.  Q10, magnesium, no caffeine, and good nutrition/filtered water are all helpful.  Anticoagulants like warfarin could be helpful in some cases (to prevent clotting only, won't stop the fibrilation) but also have their own sides, of course.  Hopefully the monitor will pick up an episode to confirm it, but the downside is that the doc will probably tell him there's nothing to be done about it.
I started an IV on this lady the other day who uses Coumadin(anti-coagulant/blood thinner) and she bleed on me like a stuck pig.

Lots of people live with A.Fib and they don't even know it. I reccomend all Getbiggers over 30yrs old to get a regular check-up!

- Block!
?

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 07:23:46 PM »

Bingo, was gonna say same thing, brother has it and had exact same symptoms as the original post.

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 07:32:47 PM »
Dang LAF sounds scary. is it serious? Sounds like a strong candidate for what he has.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 09:56:54 AM »
Dang LAF sounds scary. is it serious? Sounds like a strong candidate for what he has.

Most docs will tell you to just go and live with it as far as I know.  Oh, and that there's nothing you can do about it.

My old man has it and has done a lot of research.  He swears by q10, magnesium, no caffeine (including chocolate), and no chlorinated water.  He also lives a very healthy life in general, food, exercise, etc.  His fibrilation episodes have dropped to damn near zero. 

If your friend's attacks aren't frequent, some aspirin is probably a good idea when one happens.  If he has them all the time his doc might put him on an anticoagulant, but like Block said that can carry its own risks.  A doctor is probably going to be more inclined to let a patient carry the risk of an existing ailment than stick his own MD neck out by prescribing something which could reduce the risk of the condition but which could cause other trouble.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 01:17:46 PM »
My advice is not to drink cold water - how hard is that?  ::)

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 03:50:25 PM »
He tested the cold water theory yesterday and it worked twice without fail while running. Also, he said after the run his HR was 180 and would not go down until he ate something. Within minutes it was down to 70-80. We are thinking it has to do with his thyroid.

Signifying Monkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 03:53:46 PM »
He should be glad he can get his heart to beat that fast at his age

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 04:00:06 PM »
He should be glad he can get his heart to beat that fast at his age

He said it was stuck at 220 for over an hour so no he is not glad. He wore a crazy monitor all day yesterday. Doing fasted bloodword tomorrow morning I believe. It's an interesting mystery!