Author Topic: Ex-C.I.A. Chief Tenet about to punch more holes in WMD story  (Read 714 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Ex-C.I.A. Chief Tenet about to punch more holes in WMD story
« on: February 12, 2007, 10:26:19 PM »
The floodgates are opening on the lies Bush used to enter the war.

3125 Dead as of today.

WASHINGTON, Feb. 12 _ — For the past two years, George J. Tenet has maintained a determined silence even as senior White House officials have laid the blame for the prewar mistakes about Saddam Hussein on him. But now Mr. Tenet, the nation’s former spy chief, is preparing to return fire.

Doug Mills/The New York Times

President Bush awarding George J. Tenet a Medal of Freedom.
Mr. Tenet was awarded a Presidential Medal of Freedom at a grand White House ceremony in December 2004, after stepping down as director of central intelligence, only to have Vice President Dick Cheney appear on “Meet the Press” 21 months later and pin the mistake about the Iraq intelligence squarely on him.

Now, as he races to complete a memoir due out this spring, the talk in Washington has turned to how Mr. Tenet, known for fierce loyalty and political survival instincts that enabled him to weather both Democratic and Republican administrations, will use the book to juggle a host of agendas: polishing his legacy, settling scores and explaining just what he meant when he said it was a “slam dunk” that Mr. Hussein had unconventional weapons.

Of course, Mr. Tenet must finish the book first, which has proved to be something of challenge. The book was supposed to hit shelves last week, but Mr. Tenet was still writing as late as last month. The book has also undergone a slow vetting process at the White House and the C.I.A., which reviewed it to ensure it did not contain classified information.

Friends and former colleagues of Mr. Tenet note that he built his career by making more friends than enemies, and they say he is unlikely to use his book to pick new fights. But some of president Bush’s top aides with whom Mr. Tenet clashed in the past, including Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, are said to be targets of criticism.