Author Topic: Giuliani: Both for and against abortion  (Read 3239 times)

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
Re: Giuliani: Both for and against abortion
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2007, 01:01:42 PM »
unless womens eggs suddenly turn into babies WITHOUT sperm .... the short answer is no :)

as much as i weep for the woman having the late term abotion (2 birds/1 stone if they die in jimmy's eyes) ... ill focus on the argument about living outside the womb: being self sufficient is not a prereq for being alive (a guy with 2 broken arms who cant feed himsefl isnt alive if thats the case)

no babies will be living without their mothers care (weather thats care in the womb or in the first 2 someodd years of post natal life) ....  if were allowed to kill anything thats not self sufficient we should be allowed to kill babies up to the point where they can take care of themsevles, not to mention anyone on medication, life support etc

as for 2 death certificates being issued, death certificates kill people who are "legally" born ... if she was 8.5 months preg and the baby could survive outside the womb, would there be 2 certificates? :)

It's kind of pointless to argue when life begins because people have differing opinions and no one is possessed of the divine knowledge necessary to make the distinction. I personally would never have an abortion, but I don't believe life begins at conception. You have some other viewpoint on the subject.

But going back to the earlier reference to history... historically speaking, men have not been overwhelmingly great about taking responsibility for their own.  Not even so long ago, women who found themselves with child sans husband, were ostracized, the children shunned etc... History tells us that when  left to their own devices and without the legal binds of marriage, men are incredibly "selfish" when it comes to "doing the right thing." To a great degree, women have abortions because the father wants them to. Isn't it a little arrogant to hold women up to some higher standard just because some societal value decrees that they're "supposed" to be selfless or more generous.

History also notes that women have been aborting unwanted babies at least since Cleopatra's time.  Statistics tells us that women continue to have abortions even when the procedure is illegal. It seems pointless to enforce some law requiring women to have children, when historically that law is unenforcable. Obviously, there is something wrong with that law.   

Statistics show that the women who have abortions are for the most part without the financial means to support them, more often than not they are without a support system i.e. no father in the picture, or are otherwise unfit to raise a child. You've said yourself that abortion should be available for at least some of these reasons... so where is the argument? Statistics show that women literally have millions of abortions each year. What would this already over-populated planet look like if all of these millions of unwanted babies were foisted into stretched to the limit welfare systems or abused in horrible homes?  I'm not sure what you're arguing... you say abortion is necessary, and yet women are selfish for having them  ???

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2007, 01:18:18 PM »
  I'm not sure what you're arguing... you say abortion is necessary, and yet women are selfish for having them  ???

Jimmy just hates women.  ;D
Ron: "I am lazy."

sandycoosworth

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2007, 01:54:41 PM »
It's kind of pointless to argue when life begins because people have differing opinions and no one is possessed of the divine knowledge necessary to make the distinction. I personally would never have an abortion, but I don't believe life begins at conception. You have some other viewpoint on the subject.

i dont see it as pointless at all, not all opinions were created equal ....  just like lawyers argue their sides to the "reasonable individual" axiom, the same can be done here; using precedent and implication (just as i did re surviving outside the body) to see the situation as objectively and logically as possible...

the problem is people cannot look at the issue without thinking of the morality....this leads to logical absurdities, like saying life doesnt begin at contraception (if its not a life than what exactly is it you are aborting? :D) because if it did begin at contraception abortion automatically = murder = wrong when youre considering moarilty

But going back to the earlier reference to history... historically speaking, men have not been overwhelmingly great about taking responsibility for their own.  Not even so long ago, women who found themselves with child sans husband, were ostracized, the children shunned etc... History tells us that when  left to their own devices and without the legal binds of marriage, men are incredibly "selfish" when it comes to "doing the right thing." To a great degree, women have abortions because the father wants them to. Isn't it a little arrogant to hold women up to some higher standard just because some societal value decrees that they're "supposed" to be selfless or more generous.

but its 'a womans body, and a womans right to choose blah blah' ... this is why its not the mans decision to have an abortion, and since its not his body, why should he have to do anything if he doesnt want to?

whose trying to hold woman up to a higher standard, i never said men were any better ...

History also notes that women have been aborting unwanted babies at least since Cleopatra's time.  Statistics tells us that women continue to have abortions even when the procedure is illegal. It seems pointless to enforce some law requiring women to have children, when historically that law is unenforcable. Obviously, there is something wrong with that law.   

history tells us people have been raping, stealing and murdering since even before cleopatra, even when these action are illegal people continue steal, rape and murder ... :D

Statistics show that the women who have abortions are for the most part without the financial means to support them, more often than not they are without a support system i.e. no father in the picture, or are otherwise unfit to raise a child. You've said yourself that abortion should be available for at least some of these reasons... so where is the argument? Statistics show that women literally have millions of abortions each year. What would this already over-populated planet look like if all of these millions of unwanted babies were foisted into stretched to the limit welfare systems or abused in horrible homes?  I'm not sure what you're arguing... you say abortion is necessary, and yet women are selfish for having them  ???

they couldnt put the babies up for adoption?

i love abortion, it means more earth foy jimmy and it should be legal (and in some cases mandatory)

my arguement is that calling it anything other than murder is illogical and that its selfish thing to do, while at the same time being selfless(because it helps society) :)

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2007, 04:25:38 PM »
i dont see it as pointless at all, not all opinions were created equal ....  just like lawyers argue their sides to the "reasonable individual" axiom, the same can be done here; using precedent and implication (just as i did re surviving outside the body) to see the situation as objectively and logically as possible...

the problem is people cannot look at the issue without thinking of the morality....this leads to logical absurdities, like saying life doesnt begin at contraception (if its not a life than what exactly is it you are aborting? :D) because if it did begin at contraception abortion automatically = murder = wrong when youre considering moarilty

I sure hope life doesn't begin at contraception... or I'm in big doodoo.  ;)

The point being, you believe one thing I believe another.  I don't believe a hunk of dough, now matter how well-formed it is, is what you would call bread until it comes out of the oven.  You believe it's bread from the moment someone mixed the ingredients with active yeast.  But I would hazard a guess that if you were walking past a dump and saw two things - a newly born infant, and . - but you could only save one, you would save the newly born infant, because that is a viable person, the other is not.

I don't look at the issue with any kind of morality in mind... I look at it with extremely cold practicality. I don't really care what other people might call it.  Murder... the removal of some cells... tomaytoe, tomahtoe. The issue to me is no. 1) people must have a right to do what they wish with their own bodies... that means the right to refuse treatment for cancer, or to terminate a pregnancy while in the early stages.

they couldnt put the babies up for adoption?

i love abortion, it means more earth foy jimmy and it should be legal (and in some cases mandatory)

my arguement is that calling it anything other than murder is illogical and that its selfish thing to do, while at the same time being selfless(because it helps society)

It's difficult, at best, to place unwanted babies as it is.  There are 46 million abortions performed worldwide each year.  Imagine if these terminated pregnancies translated into actual children arriving on this crowded planet EVERY YEAR. Do you think there are adequate homes for them? Even if only half of these were born into abject poverty and crack ho moms... that still makes over 20 million of them. It's unfathomable.

but its 'a womans body, and a womans right to choose blah blah' ... this is why its not the mans decision to have an abortion, and since its not his body, why should he have to do anything if he doesnt want to?

whose trying to hold woman up to a higher standard, i never said men were any better ...

You know I adore you to distraction, but do you think this has made your case any better? Women should be unselfish enough to burden themselves with an unwanted child, and yet, the father walks away free of any responsibility? That *is* the way it is... and that's why women lobbied for many years to have access to abortion if they need it... to level the playing field and assure their own autonomy.  That's why the christian fundies are so adament about making the procedure illegal.  God has nothing to say about abortion, and there is no mention of it being a "bad thing" in either of the testaments. God does not care. The simple fact is, that the very idea of a woman having autonomy over her own body weakens the patriarchal style of family the fundies espouse. It's purely political.

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2007, 11:13:39 PM »
I'll answer you more thoroughly tomorrow as the pre-bday white I have enjoyed this evening as made me too joyous and merry to respond.  :D

...but did you mean contraception, or conception?  If life begins at contraception I think I'd have more kids by now than your average Hutterite.

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2007, 11:20:41 PM »
schmart ass >:(

join me on the new board hun!

Lol!

Which board buns?