Getbig Main Boards > Politics and Political Issues Board

Supporters of 'Personhood Amendment' Make Case to Mississippi Voters

<< < (2/80) > >>

kcballer:
Hahaha come on.  This has to be a joke. 

Roger Bacon:
I'm no supporter of abortion, but come on! 

Insanity, lol

Dos Equis:

--- Quote from: Hugo Chavez on October 26, 2011, 11:59:04 AM ---Kind of shocking that this thread didn't explode into 30 pages.  

My personal belief is that life does start at conception.  With that said I sure would not want to tell rape and incest victims they had to have the baby that resulted from their rape or force a mother to give birth to a baby that doesn't have any chance at life.  Also not cool if it results in the state deciding who dies if it comes down to the mother or the baby.

--- End quote ---

I agree life begins at conception.  That's the logical starting point, rather than some arbitrary "viability" line, etc.  I think people who have been involved with the pregnancy and the birth of a child (male or female) is more likely to understand and appreciate that there is actually a life in the womb (whether the law recognizes it or not).  

In terms of the rape and incest exceptions, I don't think there can be a logical distinction between aborting a baby conceived through consensual sex and aborting one conceived through rape.  It's still an innocent child.  So, if a state is going to ban it, a rape/incest exception isn't reasonable IMO.  

I view the mother's life and health differently, because then you have competing interests (mother vs. baby).  Not saying this should happen, just following the argument to its logical (or illogical) conclusion.    

In any event, I've said this many times before, but I don't think there is a political solution to this issue, short of a "personhood amendment," and even then it probably will never be settled.  

Straw Man:
If life begins at conception then God is the biggest abortionist on the planet since, "according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists .... anywhere from 10-25% of all clinically recognized pregnancies will end in miscarriage"

As to when human life "begins" I agree with Bill Hicks

You're not a human being until you're in my phone book. - Bill Hicks

Skip8282:
"The amendment in Mississippi would ban virtually all abortions, including those resulting from rape or incest. It would bar birth control methods, including IUDs and "morning-after pills" that prevent fertilized eggs from implanting in the uterus. It would also outlaw the destruction of embryos created in laboratories."

I don't see how this will survive current SCOTUS rulings, but...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version