Author Topic: Help me construct a routine for leg strength  (Read 2683 times)

Methyl m1ke

• Getbig IV
Help me construct a routine for leg strength
« on: July 25, 2020, 08:28:17 AM »
Hello all, I am trying to put together a routine for legs i can do here at home since I have no gym to train at that builds strength and size independently. Im thinking something along the lines of this- workout A focuses on heavy squats going down to 2-4 reps followed by extensions workout B (done 4 days or so later) focuses on supporting movements to build squat strength. Glutes hips stretching that sort of thing.

I am not sure about hamstring work but since on my heavy day im only doing 2 exercises i will overload my hams on that day and do minimal hamstring work in the B workout.

This is what i have so far.

A-squats 15, 12, 10, 8, 2-4
Single leg extensions (my workout bench at home cant hold enuf weight to do 2 leg extensions) 15, 14, 8-12

Do i need more volume on extensions? Last set done to failure.

Lying leg curls 15, 14, 12, 8-10
Stiff legged deadlifts same as above
And then? I dont have any machines to do say 1 leg lying leg curls standing like at the gym. For peak contraction.

B- 1 leg bulgarian split squats? Or?
Glute activations? Or?
Hip drops? Or????
Light ham work????

Calves done both days 1 leg standing raises and seated raises with cinder blocks on my lap.

My B workout is up in the air at this point. And i have nonidea set and rep ranges for the ancillary work like for hips glutes etc.

What kind of stretching should i do and when? Right now before squats i warmup by squatting the bar (i have a 10 foot hollow 1inch steel bar i got from home depot) for 20 reps then i do runners stretches. Groin, hips, quads calves hams and rectus femoris and calves.

Input appreciated.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
Re: Help me construct a routine for leg strength
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 08:48:34 AM »
Read about the Conjugate System by Louie Simmons.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 08:59:14 AM »
You can do barbell squats?

If so, pyramid up to a work weight for a hard 6 reps.

Do 3 sets of 6.  Add 20-30 lbs and do a hard set of 3+ reps.

Take off 10-15 lbs and try to get 6 reps. The weight will feel lighter.

Next workout add weight to your starting 6 Rep set.

Following squats do some heavy cheat barbell rows for 3-5 sets of 6.

Then 3 sets of calf work.

Repeat when you feel recovered after a few days.

That's it.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 09:03:12 AM »

If so, pyramid up to a work weight for 6 reps.

Squat sets of 6 for 2 hours straight.

After that do some barbell rows for 3-5 sets.

Repeat when you feel recovered.

That's it.
He may be dead before he recovers.

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 09:09:15 AM »
Hello all, I am trying to put together a routine for legs i can do here at home since I have no gym to train at that builds strength and size independently. Im thinking something along the lines of this- workout A focuses on heavy squats going down to 2-4 reps followed by extensions workout B (done 4 days or so later) focuses on supporting movements to build squat strength. Glutes hips stretching that sort of thing.

I am not sure about hamstring work but since on my heavy day im only doing 2 exercises i will overload my hams on that day and do minimal hamstring work in the B workout.

Single leg extensions (my workout bench at home cant hold enuf weight to do 2 leg extensions) 15, 14, 8-12

And then? I dont have any machines to do say 1 leg lying leg curls standing like at the gym. For peak contraction.

Glute activations? Or?
Hip drops? Or????
Light ham work????

Calves done both days 1 leg standing raises and seated raises with cinder blocks on my lap.

My B workout is up in the air at this point. And i have nonidea set and rep ranges for the ancillary work like for hips glutes etc.

What kind of stretching should i do and when? Right now before squats i warmup by squatting the bar (i have a 10 foot hollow 1inch steel bar i got from home depot) for 20 reps then i do runners stretches. Groin, hips, quads calves hams and rectus femoris and calves.

Input appreciated.

You sound like a feminine little twink soyboi.

Quit now, you’ll never accomplish anything and you will end up on the spitting end of many dicks.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 09:10:19 AM »
He may be dead before he recovers.

I used to do that once a week and my legs were strong as hell.

However, I changed my post above to another less insane but very effective routine.

harmankardon1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 09:11:30 AM »
Do some hanging leg raises as well they help stabilise the spine....

I'd personally put more focus on the DB and bb stiff legs than extensions if strength is your goal. And adjust your rep ranges and resistance when appropriate to avoid stagnation, especially important on the squat.

harmankardon1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 09:15:57 AM »
Also no heavy stretching prior to squatting, just do as you say some light warm ups, or extensions if you need them for your knees then pyramid up in weight to your working sets.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 09:56:17 AM »

This

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2020, 10:33:16 AM »
If ur big and natty u gotta use light weight squats or lunges 30to80 reps

U build with calories and bloating
A

Methyl m1ke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2020, 01:38:08 AM »

I did and #1 I am working with cinder blocks here. #2 I dont know what 80% of the lifts mentioned even are. Appreciate the 411, will examine further over next coue weeks.

1. Rack lockouts to max single; 2 sets of moderate dumbbell press flat; 6 to 8 sets of dumbbell triceps extension roll backs; 6 to 8 sets of chest-supported rows; 8 sets side and rear delt raise; hammer curl 3 to 4 sets.

2. Floor press plus 200 pounds of chain, singles; 5 sets of low-pulley rows; 3 sets of dumbbell power cleans for 20 reps; 6 to 8 sets rear and side delts; hammer curls.

3. Incline press to max single; light weight for 15 reps close and wide; dumbbell rows 6 to 8 reps sets heavy; face pulls high reps 2 sets; 6 sets straight bar triceps extension; hammer curls.

4. 2-board press raw max single; 3 to 6 sets of dumbbell extensions with elbows out to side; 6 sets of lat pull-downs; dumbbell power cleans for 20 reps for 2 sets; hammer curls.

5. Max bench with mini-bands; J.M. press 4 to 6 sets for 3 to 5 reps; 2 sets of dumbbell incline; low-pulley rows 4 to 8 sets heavy; rear and side delt raises; hammer curls.

6. Decline press to max single; incline dumbbell press for 5 sets heavy; dumbbell roll back extensions 8 sets of 8 reps; lat pull-downs for 6 sets; face pulls for 4 sets; hammer curls.

7. 2-board light band press max; drop down with close grip for max 5 reps; 2 sets of seated press 10 to 15 reps; elbows out dumbbell extensions; 6 sets of push downs; 6 sets of 15 reps of dumbbell power cleans; 2 sets of 15 reps hammer curls.

8. Foam press to max single; 6 sets of dumbbell flat bench 10 to 15 reps; low-pulley rows 6 sets; dumbbell rows 6 sets; superset dumbbell roll back with light push-down; hammer curls.

9. Floor press with monster minis to max; kettlebell press 6 sets of 10 to 15 rep max; dumbbell extensions with elbows out 8 sets of 8 reps; barbell rows 6 sets of wide grip; hammer curls.

10. Pick a dumbbell 100, 125, or 150 pounds for a 3 set max rep, no less than 10 reps per set; lat pull-downs 8 sets; face pull 3 sets dumbbell power clean; 2 sets of 15 reps hammer curls.

11. Future band press to max single; 2 sets of decline press with close grip and light weight for 20 reps; upright rows for 6 sets; hammer curls.

12. 4-board press to max 3 reps; J.M. press, work up to max 3 reps; superset with light push-downs 15 reps; dumbbell power cleans 2 sets of 15 reps; low-pulley rows for 6 sets heavy; hammer curls.

Three other max effort workouts will be with a bench shirt. Use a shirt about every 3 or 4 weeks. Last shirt workout is 3 weeks away from meet day. This comes to 15 max effort workouts to rotate in any system you want. You must after time make your own programs. No two people are totally alike, so some workouts will work better for one lifter than they do for another.

All the exercises I have discussed are similar to the classical lifts–squat, bench press, and deadlift–and will contribute to success in the contest lifts.

The Westside system makes it possible to lift a max each week all year long. I know of no other system that can do this. The Monday and Wednesday max effort days make one very strong. The speed days of Friday and Sunday make one very explosive, and all workouts with high volume make one very big through special exercises. This also helps you to perfect form by shoring up your weaknesses. What more can you ask for?

^slightly overwhelming.

Methyl m1ke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2020, 01:39:04 AM »

If so, pyramid up to a work weight for a hard 6 reps.

Do 3 sets of 6.  Add 20-30 lbs and do a hard set of 3+ reps.

Take off 10-15 lbs and try to get 6 reps. The weight will feel lighter.

Next workout add weight to your starting 6 Rep set.

Following squats do some heavy cheat barbell rows for 3-5 sets of 6.

Repeat when you feel recovered after a few days.

That's it.

Will do. Last leg workout I got 2 good reps out of 10 cinderblocks. See how tonight goes.

Methyl m1ke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2020, 01:40:48 AM »
Do some hanging leg raises as well they help stabilise the spine....

I'd personally put more focus on the DB and bb stiff legs than extensions if strength is your goal. And adjust your rep ranges and resistance when appropriate to avoid stagnation, especially important on the squat.

Will do. My legs always respond, problem seems to be i am really inconsistently training. I guess inventing am ever more complex routine might not be the solution but im willing to do whatever it takes to get back in the groove.

harmankardon1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2020, 02:19:04 AM »
Will do. My legs always respond, problem seems to be i am really inconsistently training. I guess inventing am ever more complex routine might not be the solution but im willing to do whatever it takes to get back in the groove.

Yeah as you know consistency is king when it comes to these things, keep at it bro you'll get it..

Methyl m1ke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2020, 02:31:23 AM »

Yeah as you know consistency is king when it comes to these things, keep at it bro you'll get it..

When i was 24 you couldn't keep me from my workouts. Now it just aint the same. I feel great when i lift but so quickly days go by and workouts easily missed. I need a training partner like i used to have but i cant find one.  :( will keep going i never quit. Only when you dont stand back up are you a loser and i am not a loser.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2020, 12:02:41 PM »
Since I can't go to a gym and don't have a squat rack, what I've been doing with deadlifts is going down lower with deeper bent knees and focusing on using my legs to lift the weights more like a squat and limiting the amount of back involved.

Methyl m1ke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2020, 08:51:39 AM »
Since I can't go to a gym and don't have a squat rack, what I've been doing with deadlifts is going down lower with deeper bent knees and focusing on using my legs to lift the weights more like a squat and limiting the amount of back involved.

Seems like good advice.

Gerard

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2020, 08:50:58 PM »
If you want to properly train your legs, then you also need to make sure that your legs get quality rest. I know that it's very important that the legs aren't swollen, you need to put them on a level higher than the head. I know that there are special leg pillow Ortorex that you can use to properly position your feet. It's very convenient and you can actually fall asleep faster. Also, your legs will be more rested in the morning. You only need to try to feel the difference.

BossBoss

• Getbig III
  • part-time IFBB-Professional
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2020, 09:15:48 PM »

Glute activations? Or?
Hip drops? Or????
Light ham work????

Input appreciated.

This is to complicated. The best workout is the workout you do. (with max intensity)
I would use only two exercices. High Volume Front Squads and lying leg curls for hamstrings.
You should get realy good Legs from Front Squads alone.

If you do 3-4 Sets Front Squads with 20 Repetitions you're Legs will explode.

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2020, 09:18:25 PM »

Glute activations? Or?
Hip drops? Or????
Light ham work????

Input appreciated.

here is what you do bro

first buy some test and syringest

stick the needle in your ass, but not to deep so you dont get pip,

do leg extensions,  superset with leg press and man squats

eat alot fuck alot and shit alot.

after awhile your legs will grow and your balls with shrink, and get small  but your legs will be bigger.

most whores do not care about your leg size, they only care about money and your your pee pee.

hope this helps.

epic is back

• Getbig V
  • It is only in darkness that light is brightest
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2020, 09:22:13 PM »
get off meth

eat

and then think about strenght

escrima

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2020, 12:12:46 AM »
This is to complicated. The best workout is the workout you do. (with max intensity)
I would use only two exercices. High Volume Front Squads and lying leg curls for hamstrings.
You should get realy good Legs from Front Squads alone.

If you do 3-4 Sets Front Squads with 20 Repetitions you're Legs will explode.
Yeah agree with this
can also do barbell hack squats

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2020, 01:03:06 AM »
West side really doesn’t do shit unless you have several super strong, super motivated guys to religiously workout with you...it’s the only reason west side was successful back in the day.

Bench

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2020, 09:01:40 AM »
West side really doesn’t do shit unless you have several super strong, super motivated guys to religiously workout with you...it’s the only reason west side was successful back in the day.

Bench
It's the conjugate system theory of exercise that really works and can be adapted to bodybuilding.  Changing up exercises frequently along with sets, reps and speed work eliminates the stagnation that most bodybuilders or powerlifters suffer from.

Methyl m1ke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2020, 02:59:28 PM »
If you want to properly train your legs, then you also need to make sure that your legs get quality rest. I know that it's very important that the legs aren't swollen, you need to put them on a level higher than the head. I know that there are special leg pillow Ortorex that you can use to properly position your feet. It's very convenient and you can actually fall asleep faster. Also, your legs will be more rested in the morning. You only need to try to feel the difference.

Interesting idea. Ortorex you say? Ill look into that. Fwiw I sleep on a couch. Have for bout 7 years now. I havent owned or slept in a bed in at least 15 years. Byproduct of several bouts of homelessness.