Author Topic: Electric Car And Autonomous News  (Read 8993 times)

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
Re: Electric Car And Autonomous News
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2021, 09:44:04 AM »
Send them the link to the No New Car thread from here.

They'll quickly realize they are wasting their time.

I think they should include North Dakota and Montana and create a charging network that would allow someone to drive from San Diego to Detroit.  I'm assuming an already existing network along the West coast.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2021, 09:46:49 AM »
The perfect vehicle to drop you off at the FEMA camps.  ;)

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2021, 10:44:52 AM »
I think they should include North Dakota and Montana and create a charging network that would allow someone to drive from San Diego to Detroit.  I'm assuming an already existing network along the West coast.

Agreed.

Getting the Midwest to buy in is huge. It’s a sign the big 3 realize that electric cars are part of the future.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2021, 01:54:49 PM »
 Lucid Air deliveries now underway
A total of six Lucid Air Dream Edition sedans are pictured sitting on a car carrier for delivery
By Jeremy Korzeniewski

Judging by the company's official Twitter account, it appears that deliveries for the Lucid Air Dream Edition are just getting underway.

Lucid plans to build 520 Air Dream Edition sedans, each spinning out a total of 1,080 horsepower, a range of 520 miles and carrying an asking price of $169,000.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/10/25/lucid-air-deliveries/

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2021, 01:37:03 PM »
Rivian valued at over $100 bln in debut, after world's biggest IPO of 2021

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/ev-maker-rivian-set-high-profile-market-debut-after-mammoth-ipo-2021-11-10/

Rivian has produced 180 vehicles to date and has $3 Billion cash on hand and a market cap of over $100 Billion.  Interesting times.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2021, 06:26:17 PM »
When we are all driving electric cars what will the power plants run on that provide the electricity to charge the batteries?  Will it be coal, gas, oil or nuclear power?  Power plants don't run on windmills and solar panels.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2021, 07:40:32 PM »
When we are all driving electric cars what will the power plants run on that provide the electricity to charge the batteries?  Will it be coal, gas, oil or nuclear power?  Power plants don't run on windmills and solar panels.

I personally don't care and I don't really believe global warming is a problem.  I would be fine if they were all powered by coal.

My interest in electric cars is based on weather they're descent vehicle to drive and own.  I have no problem with gas powered cars as well. 

More importantly, I don't believe there should be any government intervention in the auto industry.  I'm even opposed to Cafe fleet average fuel economy standards and I'm quite fond of big block V8's.  I'm in favor of both gas and electric vehicles and believe the choice should be open to the individual. 

The reality is the technology of electric cars is progressing so rapidly right now, they will soon eclipse gas powered cars. 

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2021, 01:07:53 AM »

We won't be able to power the American grid with solar and/or wind within our lifetime.

A lot of people believe it's more about emissions, rather than saving fuel/resources.

There is a balance.

Very few people understand the fuel and emissions required by a larger source that are required to power a grid of "electric" cars.

Most of it is complete nonsense.

Here in NM they are working on solar technology that can power your house and charge your car, using just the sun. It works rather well but it's expensive and not practical for 90% of the planet.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2021, 03:06:12 AM »
We won't be able to power the American grid with solar and/or wind within our lifetime.

A lot of people believe it's more about emissions, rather than saving fuel/resources.

There is a balance.

Very few people understand the fuel and emissions required by a larger source that are required to power a grid of "electric" cars.

Most of it is complete nonsense.

Here in NM they are working on solar technology that can power your house and charge your car, using just the sun. It works rather well but it's expensive and not practical for 90% of the planet.
Yes, they are idiots.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2021, 08:28:09 AM »
EV sales in China surpass 3 million units in 2021.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2021, 08:40:37 AM »
XPeng’s New G9 Is An All-electric Luxury SUV With LiDAR Tech.

It can charge 200 KM range in 5 minutes.

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2021, 09:10:08 AM »
Saudi Arabia owns over 50% of Lucid and huge parts of Rivian and Uber, yet their People’s Investment Fund knew not to touch Nikola and dumped Tesla.

Seems legitimate…. ::)

The younger generations of Americans don’t want to own a maintenance intensive asset like a house or a car. So if the vehicles were to become fully autonomous, you wouldn’t own one, you would just request it like an Uber ride.

So picture a conglomerate of EV/Autonomous car companies that sell you rides over your cell phone when you order one - and you never have to own your own vehicle. Or even a government agency that owns all the cars and you have to rent a ride from them when you need one.

That’s the future of EV/autonomous cars in big cities, communist countries, and in Europe. The government (or politically owned and affiliated firms) will take over under the guise of climate change.

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2021, 09:41:21 AM »
But there is a hidden secret.

The infrastructure to maintain a full grid for mass transit is decades away.

I think at some point in time it MAY be possible to have autonomous cars full scale, but not for a very very long time.

There are a lot of problems too.

Read about the Japanese Shinkansen train system. A friend of mine from college actually moved to Japan for 5 years to help work on it.

It's an amazing system.

One day this will be more practical.

Electric cars are great, i never liked them until a drove a Tesla. I'll end up getting one eventually.

In 20 years we won't have a choice anyway.
  if i'm not mistaken it's the leading part of the 7g rollout(which is 20 years away)

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2021, 06:09:33 AM »
Baidu Officially Launches Robotaxi Service In Beijing After Getting The OK To Charge Fees
BY Brad Anderson

Chinese technology giant Baidu has launched its robotaxi service in Beijing, China and started collecting fees from paying customers.

Baidu has been testing autonomous robotaxis throughout the city for over a year and earlier this week, received regulatory approval allowing it to start collecting fares from users.

The company currently operates 67 self-driving cars in Beijing’s suburban district of Yizhuang. It hasn’t said how much users will have to pay but told CNBC that fares will be comparable with the premium level services offered by ride-hailing apps like Didi which, as the outlet notes, can cost twice as much as ordinary rides. Baidu’s vice president and chief security operation officer, Wei Dong, expects other major cities like Shanghai, Guangzhou, and Shenzhen to start allowing it to charge users.

According to Baidu, more than 20,000 users each take at least 10 rides in its robotaxis each month and the company plans to roll out an additional 100 robotaxis onto the streets each year.

The Baidu Apollo Go robotaxi service currently operates in five cities and a plan from chief executive Robin Li calls for the service to grow to 65 cities by 2025 and to 100 cities by 2030. Baidu also says that its next generation of robotaxi vehicles will cost half the price to manufacture than its current vehicles.

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/11/baidu-officially-launches-robotaxi-service-in-beijing-after-getting-the-ok-to-charge-fees/

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2021, 07:43:32 AM »
Hasn't Musk himself said the future of autonomous cars is that you won't own the car?

This is all conjecture at this point.  Futuristic predictions rarely come true.

The free market usually determines what happens but now the governments are trying to control the future.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2021, 10:27:28 AM »
Hasn't Musk himself said the future of autonomous cars is that you won't own the car?

This is all conjecture at this point.  Futuristic predictions rarely come true.

The free market usually determines what happens but now the governments are trying to control the future.

I think every automaker has connected the dots on what consumers are going to do when cars become fully autonomous.  The changes coming in the next ten years are going to be huge and all forms of transportation will be affected by autonomous

Notomorrow

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2021, 09:03:07 PM »
There will have to be some MAJOR infrastructure changes for autonomous cars to become mainstream. A few are....

1. Insurance companies. They make money by charging high premiums on higher risk drivers, will everyone with an autonomous car have the same rate? Or you'll have some switch to change from auto drive to manual? Sounds a bit dangerous to me to be switching back and forth from autonomous to manual. But insurance companies are a big lobby. They'll have to figure out how to charge insurance for autonomous cars. Can you legally even have to have insurance for what your car does if you leave it in auto drive?

2. CHP and traffic tickets create billions in revenue. Will autonomous cars be allowed to break traffic laws? All those tickets like running stop signs, illegal lane change without blinker, and most especially DUI's will be eliminated(a good thing). But this will cost local government revenue billions without petty traffic infractions.

3.Lawsuits. For every accident, a person can be sued civilly, and just default or go bankrupt but now accident survivors and relatives can sue auto companies, creating the possibility for massive fraud. Auto accident ambulance chasing attorneys must be just drooling at the idea of class action lawsuits for some glitch or breakdown of autonomous technology.

4. Mechanics. It will take a while for all mechanics to be able to learn and be able to repair this technology. There will have to be new certifications, etc. All machines break eventually.

There will have to be a complete infrastructure change to implement autonomous cars on a large scale. This may take a while.

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2021, 10:29:27 PM »
There will have to be some MAJOR infrastructure changes for autonomous cars to become mainstream. A few are....

1. Insurance companies. They make money by charging high premiums on higher risk drivers, will everyone with an autonomous car have the same rate? Or you'll have some switch to change from auto drive to manual? Sounds a bit dangerous to me to be switching back and forth from autonomous to manual. But insurance companies are a big lobby. They'll have to figure out how to charge insurance for autonomous cars. Can you legally even have to have insurance for what your car does if you leave it in auto drive?

2. CHP and traffic tickets create billions in revenue. Will autonomous cars be allowed to break traffic laws? All those tickets like running stop signs, illegal lane change without blinker, and most especially DUI's will be eliminated(a good thing). But this will cost local government revenue billions without petty traffic infractions.

3.Lawsuits. For every accident, a person can be sued civilly, and just default or go bankrupt but now accident survivors and relatives can sue auto companies, creating the possibility for massive fraud. Auto accident ambulance chasing attorneys must be just drooling at the idea of class action lawsuits for some glitch or breakdown of autonomous technology.

4. Mechanics. It will take a while for all mechanics to be able to learn and be able to repair this technology. There will have to be new certifications, etc. All machines break eventually.

There will have to be a complete infrastructure change to implement autonomous cars on a large scale. This may take a while.

I work for Munich Re, we're pretty much cutting all our digital partners that aren't willing to pivot to rideshare\long haul truckers and municipality transport.   

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2021, 08:38:35 AM »
Ford looks to surpass Tesla. Investing in coal might be a better idea if we need to charge millions of EV.

I look for Musk to continue to sell his way out of Tesla, maybe sell to the Chinese.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/ford-ceo-says-company-targets-600000-evs-year-wants-surpass-tesla-us-ev-sales

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2021, 08:58:26 AM »
All electric vehicles do is move the emissions from the car to another source, be it a coal burning power plant, nuclear facility, etc. There is no free lunch.
Meanwhile, wars will start in the Congo over cobalt mining, lol

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2021, 02:16:25 AM »
All electric vehicles do is move the emissions from the car to another source, be it a coal burning power plant, nuclear facility, etc. There is no free lunch.
The Congo people have nothing better to do with their time.

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2021, 12:35:48 PM »

We won’t all be driving cars, that’s the point of lockdowns.

We will likely move to 1 car households.

Get food delivered. Get online shopping delivered. The odds are much more in favour of us owning an electric scooter or electric motorbike to get around. Cheaper to buy/run/maintain. Less energy. Easier to park.

When money gets tight and you have 120k of cars in the driveway which move 500km month combined, people are gunna dump the second car.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2021, 12:42:56 PM »

They don't trust people with resources. They own the world in their eyes. That is what this is all about - centralization of resources and controlled distribution or lack thereof.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2022, 02:18:39 PM »

NHTSA Says Human Controls Now Unnecessary for Autonomous Vehicles
By Matt Posky

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) had decided there’s no need for modern vehicles to possess steering wheels, pedals, or other human controls — provided they’re intended to be fully autonomous.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2022/03/nhtsa-says-human-controls-now-unnecessary-for-autonomous-vehicles/

This is moving very quickly.  I'm not sure I'm comfortable with this, but government regulations allow cars to have no steering wheel and pedals. 

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2022, 04:30:27 PM »

We won’t all be driving electric cars because our grid doesn’t support it nor is everybody owning electric cars inline with the global carbon emissions targets.

Besides, 90% won’t be able to afford one once we move through the deflationary-inflationary phases but that won’t be a problem because most of us will be working from home and remain in our suburb/LGA anyway.