Author Topic: Does anyone else take the boards 'seriously'  (Read 6881 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Does anyone else take the boards 'seriously'
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2012, 06:06:18 PM »
Although I have some fun with some folks on these boards, I am a serious person. So yeah, I take these boards seriously for the most part. However, I realize there are a few infantile people posting here who wouldn't know serious if it bit them in the ass. These folk are best ignored.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2012, 06:11:08 PM »
Sometimes I'll read the boards and the topics will stick in my mind and ill carry it.
For instance, yesterday some guy posted "old man beats up bodybuilder" and the comments indicated a consensus view that the media always makes the big bodybuilder out to be the bad guy while the elderly man is immediately assumed to be a hero. I started thinking about this later and came to te conclusion that getbiggers are right.

The problem is, today I was at the gym about to work on my supersets and this elderly man -- must've been 70 at least, with a skinny frame was just sitting there on the bench with his dirty little white towel, out of breath, monopolizing the bench--using it as a literal 'bench'. Well i started thinking about that video of the old man and burst out, "stop monopolizing the bench you old fucck!!!!" And he looked really scared as he left the gym. I thought, "this old man is weak and can't do shit - plus he's violating rules". (Truthfully you are NOT supposed to wait on the bench in between sets-- and anyway what good is working out going to do him?? It benefits me much more..

Does anyone else take the boards seriously ?

What a hero you are for yelling at old grandpa and getting him scared enough to leave the gym.
Did you kick any small dogs today or slap your grandma?

pulling weight

• Getbig III
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2012, 07:41:04 PM »
What a hero you are for yelling at old grandpa and getting him scared enough to leave the gym.

I am a hero. Everyone in the gym is tired of these old fuccks monopolizing the equipment. I just did what everyone else was thinking in their heads. I'm sure the old fucc will report me to the front desk, but it really doesn't matter because I'm friends with the manager so I don't think he'll get very far.
T

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2012, 10:02:13 AM »
I am a hero. Everyone in the gym is tired of these old fuccks monopolizing the equipment. I just did what everyone else was thinking in their heads. I'm sure the old fucc will report me to the front desk, but it really doesn't matter because I'm friends with the manager so I don't think he'll get very far.

You mean you think you are a hero. When you learn to get your point across without being rude or cussing at people then you might be a hero.

I've been going to the same gym for the last 30 years. During that time there have been three owners and a lot of different employees. I was friends with the original owners and I am friends with the current owners. I wouldn't think of tell someone off in the way you did and not expect to be called on it because the owner is my friend.

Incidentally, I've seen plenty of young people with inconsiderate behavior at the gym, doing things like leaving the weights were they drop them and not clearing the weights from a machine after using it. I have been known to say something to them when I notice it; something like, "I believe you forgot to put the weights away," or "Are you through with this machine?" They know I mean business from the tone of my voice and not from my choice of language. I have yet to have someone ignore me.

pulling weight

• Getbig III
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2012, 12:40:24 PM »
Prime, normally I choose my words very carefully and don't have outburst like that. I am a strength athlete and so I am very disciplined. The problem is I read a certain thread posted here a few days ago and I took it to heart. I scared that elderly man for getbiggers. but if I hadn't read that thread which makes out strong guys to be bad I wouldn't have reacted that way in all likelihood. I also don't like punk ass kids but fortunately my gym has zero tolerance for them (not for te elderly fucks tho)

I have not heard from the management so maybe this guy didn't complain and decided not to come back  ;D
He's usually here, and seems to think the gym is more about socializing. Just another goddamn hobbyist
T

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2012, 12:46:55 PM »
I am scared of the guy.. ::)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2012, 12:50:14 PM »

Always good to have friends in high places. I play cards with the chief of police so the laws on my side.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2012, 04:11:57 PM »
Prime, normally I choose my words very carefully and don't have outburst like that. I am a strength athlete and so I am very disciplined. The problem is I read a certain thread posted here a few days ago and I took it to heart. I scared that elderly man for getbiggers. but if I hadn't read that thread which makes out strong guys to be bad I wouldn't have reacted that way in all likelihood. I also don't like punk ass kids but fortunately my gym has zero tolerance for them (not for te elderly fucks tho)

I have not heard from the management so maybe this guy didn't complain and decided not to come back  ;D
He's usually here, and seems to think the gym is more about socializing. Just another goddamn hobbyist

I for one know that I do not work out with the same intensity that I did when I was in my 20's, 30's, 40's or even 50's. However, when I am at the gym, I am there to work out and not to shoot the breeze with my cronies. Presently, I am using machines because I took about a year off and am just easing back into it. I do one set of twelve reps with very controlled movement, (controlled means pacing and going through the movement slowly, as in 2 seconds and 4 seconds on the return. I manage to get through about 16 different exercises in less than a half hour. Obviously, I don't sit around between exercises or I would never get that much done in that amount of time.

Earl, who works out at the gym I do, is ten years older than I am. Like me, he has been a member since the gym opened 30 years ago. About 10 years ago he won first place in a national power lifting contest. He was 68 at the time. When Earl was a young man he entered and placed in bodybuilding competitions. A photo of him from those times past is on the "hall of fame" wall. Last year, Earl's longtime work out partner died. Sometimes Earl just needs to talk to someone. When he talks to me, I will stop my workout for awhile to let him. It is a matter of respect.

It is easy to make fun of old men when one is young and cannot envision themselves ever being old. But guess what, unless an accident or unplanned illness comes your way, if you like to work out, you will someday be just another oldtimer at your gym. Just be cautious not to rest too long on some piece of equipment or some young smart ass may decide to rudely tell you off.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2012, 05:52:27 PM »
I for one know that I do not work out with the same intensity that I did when I was in my 20's, 30's, 40's or even 50's. However, when I am at the gym, I am there to work out and not to shoot the breeze with my cronies. Presently, I am using machines because I took about a year off and am just easing back into it. I do one set of twelve reps with very controlled movement, (controlled means pacing and going through the movement slowly, as in 2 seconds and 4 seconds on the return. I manage to get through about 16 different exercises in less than a half hour. Obviously, I don't sit around between exercises or I would never get that much done in that amount of time.

Earl, who works out at the gym I do, is ten years older than I am. Like me, he has been a member since the gym opened 30 years ago. About 10 years ago he won first place in a national power lifting contest. He was 68 at the time. When Earl was a young man he entered and placed in bodybuilding competitions. A photo of him from those times past is on the "hall of fame" wall. Last year, Earl's longtime work out partner died. Sometimes Earl just needs to talk to someone. When he talks to me, I will stop my workout for awhile to let him. It is a matter of respect.

It is easy to make fun of old men when one is young and cannot envision themselves ever being old. But guess what, unless an accident or unplanned illness comes your way, if you like to work out, you will someday be just another oldtimer at your gym. Just be cautious not to rest too long on some piece of equipment or some young smart ass may decide to rudely tell you off.

In all seriousness prime your physique pawns 99% of other guys your age. All that work you have put into it over the years has paid off and now you can breeze by with less intensity and reap the benefits of previous years.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2012, 06:58:03 PM »
In all seriousness prime your physique pawns 99% of other guys your age. All that work you have put into it over the years has paid off and now you can breeze by with less intensity and reap the benefits of previous years.

Thanks for the encouragement. Why do I still compare my physique to guys in there prime? -Probably because I cannot or will not accept that I am an old man.

I remember my dad telling me that you can be anything you wish to be if you are willng to do the work to achieve it.  Maybe this is why I still keep on keeping on. still pumping those weights.