Author Topic: gym etiquette  (Read 8659 times)

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
gym etiquette
« on: November 26, 2005, 09:23:53 PM »
what do you guys do when you are in the middle of an exercise and some d***head comes up to you and asks how many sets or whatever you have to go?  it happened to me while i was doing heavy leg presses.  i thought i were about to kill the f***ing idiot.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: gym etiquette
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 08:48:07 AM »
what do you guys do when you are in the middle of an exercise and some d***head comes up to you and asks how many sets or whatever you have to go?  it happened to me while i was doing heavy leg presses.  i thought i were about to kill the f***ing idiot.

Were you inbetween sets?
:

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 08:52:03 AM »
Were you inbetween sets?

i was in the middle of a set, pushing hard and trying to concentrate.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 09:06:28 AM »
i was in the middle of a set, pushing hard and trying to concentrate.

That's just rude in ANY environment.  Some people have no manners.
I would just ignore them until your set is over and you've caught your breath.
:

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 09:07:16 AM »
just ignore the douchebag, i had a moron come up to me after my first set of barbell shrugs with 225, he said can i work in with you i said yeah, no problem he did his set with 225 and i asked him what he was going to  he said 245, i said just go ahead and do your sets i'm going up to six plates.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 11:17:46 AM »
6 plate son each side?
Valhalla awaits.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 11:37:14 AM »
if someone had no senise to wait. i would be pissed

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 03:13:17 PM »
Jaejonna rows 125!!

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 03:20:35 PM »

Robbie

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 09:07:50 PM »
Sarcasm must be huuuuge! ;)

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2005, 09:31:51 PM »
if sarcasm was HUGE he wouldn't be such a hater.

Robbie

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2005, 10:10:07 PM »
Amen to that... :)

vinniedablade

• Getbig II
  • It's not vengeance...It's Punishment!
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2005, 11:51:35 PM »
yo

I have one for you I was in the middle of a leg press routine I had 8 plates on each side working my way up to 10 on each side and some kid who was about 5'6'' and maybe 135lbs asks me if he could work in so I asked him what did he want to start with he tells me 2 on each side.....

well I told him very nicely no, you cant work in, because I am working legs; not how to load and unload leg press machine. if you can please wait 10 min and you can have the machine....

he then tried to start a fight I just sat there and laugh at him and told him to get lost...
some people just need a kick in the ass...

vinnie

blaster

• Getbig III
  • If bodybuilding was easy, everyone would be big!
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 04:06:42 PM »

If u r in the middle of the movement, ignore the girl.

If ur resting, tell him a few more.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 04:10:34 PM »
yo

I have one for you I was in the middle of a leg press routine I had 8 plates on each side working my way up to 10 on each side and some kid who was about 5'6'' and maybe 135lbs asks me if he could work in so I asked him what did he want to start with he tells me 2 on each side.....

well I told him very nicely no, you cant work in, because I am working legs; not how to load and unload leg press machine. if you can please wait 10 min and you can have the machine....

he then tried to start a fight I just sat there and laugh at him and told him to get lost...
some people just need a kick in the ass...

thoughts:  no matter how nicely you said it, you're still an ass for not letting him work in.  You could've just told him he had to change the weight, i'm sure he would've done it.  Now obviously if he really started a fight then he's got some problems as well, but I think that one should always be accomodating- the gym is for everyone.
:-)

blaster

• Getbig III
  • If bodybuilding was easy, everyone would be big!
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2005, 05:55:27 PM »
thoughts:  no matter how nicely you said it, you're still an ass for not letting him work in.  You could've just told him he had to change the weight, i'm sure he would've done it.  Now obviously if he really started a fight then he's got some problems as well, but I think that one should always be accomodating- the gym is for everyone.

Dude, ur missing the point.

He means when u are actually in the middle of the movement, as in he was already squatting, which would put u off.

If u wanna work in, fine, but ask once the set is completed. Oh, and FFS, don't ask a guy who is obviously WAAAAAYYYY stronger than u, cause it takes too much time unloading plates.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2005, 06:15:45 PM »
blaster, you're probably right.  Generally i look at it this way.  Ask how many sets a person has left, which opens the door for them to offer to let you work in....if they don't, you're SOL.

I generally always offer, usually no one is pretentious enough to try to work in if you're much stronger; they get scared away. 
:-)

vinniedablade

• Getbig II
  • It's not vengeance...It's Punishment!
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2005, 08:57:42 PM »
yo

the thing is also it is very easy for a person to wait for you to finish, hell i have had people ask if i would get them after i am finished with the machine and i am more than happy to do so, but when you are in a rhythm and you don't have the time to wait for someone else to load and unload and make your 20 min exercise turn into 45min it kills what you are trying to get done .....

some people just need to wait.... i know that i have waited for a lot of people

Vinnie

mem

• Getbig III
  • lifetime athlete
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2005, 05:53:11 AM »
Some people need guidance with actual training tips (gentle pointers)
Some *newbies* need help with basic manners or gym etiquette - MANY need both . . .
including a thump on the (proverbial) head.

I often stuggle with these issues, I am (most often) helpful at times
and a DICK at other times . . . I am not (necessarily) looking to make
friends while at the gym - I am looking to make bigger muscles.

Worthy thread . . .
1 life 1 liver

DGW Muscle

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2005, 09:57:10 AM »
I agree.  I never ask someone if I can work in unless I know them from the gym or unless they are similar in strength and / or gym knowledge.  I was on calves last night and some fat pig and his sloppy 12 yr old son come in and ask to do calves with me.  I just left and told them I was done and went to standing calves....then the A-holes come over there and pull the same thing.  When I am at the gym I don't want to talk to anyone, especially some fat ass and his dip sh*t son.  

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2005, 11:27:55 AM »
wow that story almost makes me laugh i don't know what I'd do
bodybuildersreality.com

g0ddang

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2005, 12:38:11 PM »
i agree with not making friends at the gym. i hate conversating at the gym. once in a while is okay. saying wussup with a quick head nod is fine. acknowledging ones existence is fine. but catching me resting and pulling me into a 5-15min convo is big no no. i'm already restricted on time as it is and i like to get in and out of the gym as quick as possible with a satisfied work out.

since i work out in the mornings, i don't deal with people asking to work-in with me since everyone is basically in the same state of mind i am. "gym. work out. shower. eat. go to work.."

and having someone interrupt your work out is straight up rude. i'd give the guy the dirtiest look and ignore him until i'm done.

and vinniedablade, i would've done the same thing if i was in your shoes. i'd just tell the guy to wait till i'm done. putting weights on and off is annoying and time consuming. it'd be faster if the guy just waited, then to have him work-in with you

muscle19

• Getbig IV
  • Lifes To Short To Be Small!!!
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2005, 12:46:51 PM »
i have no problem working in with somebody but if they are taking their sweet ass time then i get upset (expecially them knowing i want to use the maching) i go into the gym already knowing what i want to lift, exercise wise, and not being able to do that throws me off, and with the comment on leg press, he can respect the fact that it would take more time to unload and load the press then actually waiting for a bit till ur done, some people are so selfish that if they cant get their way, they will start a fight like they did to u.
some people suck, u heard!

muscle
muscle

robmeister

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2005, 03:18:57 PM »
i never had anything like this ever happen to me. if it ever did, i just just tell the dude to kindly wit his turn. i mean like, there are other machines he could us in the meantime! so, what the f..k is the problem here?! ???

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2005, 04:05:23 PM »
was in the middle of a leg press routine I had 8 plates on each side working my way up to 10 on each side and some kid who was about 5'6'' and maybe 135lbs asks me if he could work in ......

once i had this skinny guy working in with me on the leg press.  he could hardly do half-presses with 5 plates on each side.  i was going higher and higher and this fool's ego was telling him he could do it too, so he ended up doing some shitty 1/16 movements with nine plates on.  i did not know whether i should educate him or not (in the end, i did not).  if he had gotten crushed under the weight i would not have been able to push the weight up without first unloading some plates.

have you ever told somebody they were using really bad form?  i mean not on biceps curls -- who gives the shit -- but on some exercise where you can really hurt yourself, e.g. squats, deadlifts, etc.