Author Topic: gym etiquette  (Read 8655 times)

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
Re: gym etiquette
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2005, 04:09:03 PM »
what do you guys do when you are in the middle of an exercise and some d***head comes up to you and asks how many sets or whatever you have to go?  it happened to me while i was doing heavy leg presses.  i thought i were about to kill the f***ing idiot.

Ignore him until you're finished the set.  Then tell him you have 10 more sets to go, when you really only have 1 more.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2005, 03:29:08 PM »
what do you guys do when you are in the middle of an exercise and some d***head comes up to you and asks how many sets or whatever you have to go?  it happened to me while i was doing heavy leg presses.  i thought i were about to kill the f***ing idiot.

I was doing a set of pec decs a few years ago and a guy barged up to my face and said " how many sets you got left". After my set was done I found him  and said I quote " don't you ever fucking bother me while I am doing a set again" I haven't seen the guy since!. He was clueless.
The House that Ruth built

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2005, 03:32:26 PM »
yo

the thing is also it is very easy for a person to wait for you to finish, hell i have had people ask if i would get them after i am finished with the machine and i am more than happy to do so, but when you are in a rhythm and you don't have the time to wait for someone else to load and unload and make your 20 min exercise turn into 45min it kills what you are trying to get done .....

some people just need to wait.... i know that i have waited for a lot of people

Vinnie

I like doing sets about 15 to 30 seconds apart for most movements. Working in with most people screws me all up.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2005, 03:34:52 PM »

I often stuggle with these issues, I am (most often) helpful at times
and a DICK at other times . . . I am not (necessarily) looking to make
friends while at the gym - I am looking to make bigger muscles.

Worthy thread . . .

Sometimes you have to be a dick if your workout is important to you. Especially in a gym environment where you have lots of less than hardcore lifters.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2005, 03:37:58 PM »
thoughts:  no matter how nicely you said it, you're still an ass for not letting him work in.  You could've just told him he had to change the weight, i'm sure he would've done it.  Now obviously if he really started a fight then he's got some problems as well, but I think that one should always be accomodating- the gym is for everyone.

He was right for not letting him work in. Maybe the guy learned a lesson not to bug someone doing a movement with lots of weight when all you can do is get in the way. Changing out that much weight after each set is just plain wrong to ask anybody to do. Including if it was the little guy who was on the machine first.

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2005, 08:53:34 AM »
I was doing a set of pec decs a few years ago and a guy barged up to my face and said " how many sets you got left". After my set was done I found him  and said I quote " don't you ever fucking bother me while I am doing a set again" I haven't seen the guy since!. He was clueless.

In a gym you find people who don't have the slightest idea what it is to train hard and heavy. The kind of people who talk while doing sets. I guess this guy assumed that you could give him an answer while doing a set,just like he's used to.

jpeso

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2005, 10:39:20 AM »
This is a good point: Do you educate or go about your business?  I answer this question based on the persons body language.  You can tell if someone want to be a dick, or wants to learn.  Specifically, I had a newb approach me during my deadlift workout last week.  He waited untill I was done with a set and asked to work in.  He clearly was new and wouldn't have been able to go beyond 135, and definetly didn;t know proper form.  I let him work in but made him change the weights around.  He came off as a know i all and didn't do one correct deadlift rep.  He attempted one max rep with 225 and thought he was going to seriously hurt himself.  When I offered my opinion, he rebuffed it, stating he had done'way more in the past'....OH WELL.

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2005, 01:16:32 PM »
When training seriously,using the heaviest weights you possibly can lift in a proper form,sometimes you get people staring at you like you're nuts.

I should stare at them when they smalltalk during sets,using the smallest weights they can,or when using weights way to heavy for them to handle properly.

I usually mind my own business and do my thing.

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2005, 06:20:27 PM »
There's a guy in my gym who looks about 6'1" 195. he has big arms, and shoulders and everything else looks pretty regular exept his skinny legs. Every time I see him train he's "lifting" about double what he should. the other day he was pretending to squat 6 plates on each side. the squats were about 3 inches up and down. Then with calves he put all the plates he could on that and did a some fake sets. since he was alternating between the calves and the squats he was taking up just about all the plates in the leg room and everyone was pissed and looking at him like he was a fool. when he curls he does the EZ bar and uses a 45 and another 10 or so pounds on each side. he pulls the weight up about 2 inches and then gets under it as if he were doing clean and press, then he moves the weight another couple of inches up on his own. he does this for every rep. when he trains with cables he actually does sets of 3, 2, and a 1 rep max. I see people talking to him sometimes obviously telling him that what he's doing is pretty useless and he just listens looking kinda angry then gives them some rediculous explaination i'm guessing because he talks back. he's into martial arts because he is always wearing a shirt that says something about Krav Maga. He's probably like "i'm training for power cause i do martial arts".

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2005, 10:36:02 AM »
When they come to me while I was in the middle of some reps, I f**king ignore the douchebag.  That is insane.  Just leave me the f**k alone while I'm workingout.  Thats why I wear my MP3 player.  If they talk to me, I point to my ear and say I can't hear you and walk off or continue my set. 

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2005, 11:13:23 AM »
It's funny, people rarely come up to me in the middle of a set....and in the events that they do, i usually am able to "scare them off" simply by saying i have 2+ sets left. 
:-)

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2005, 11:15:43 AM »
that being said, here are things i will let people work in on:

bench (hey, it gets me a free spotter) but flat only, i do ok on incline
anything cable where they're using the same attachment
most machines
pretty much anything involving calves

things i absolutely REFUSE to let people work in on:
squats- even if they just want the rack and don't plan on touching the bar
actually, come to think of it, anything legs
anything back, except for chins and cable rows provided they're doing chins or cable rows
most delt stuff; i like to move fast
and by all means I'M NOT SHARING THE DBs SO QUIT ASKING

i'm done  ;D

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2005, 12:05:38 PM »
It's funny, people rarely come up to me in the middle of a set....and in the events that they do, i usually am able to "scare them off" simply by saying i have 2+ sets left. 
scare them huh, it must be those massive 50's you're pressing on the flat bench. ::)
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2005, 12:31:22 PM »
scare them huh, it must be those massive 50's you're pressing on the flat bench. ::)

yeah ever since i got a membership to Peak Fitness for Women i've been the strongest one in the gym! Yeah baby!

blaster

• Getbig III
  • If bodybuilding was easy, everyone would be big!
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2005, 06:29:20 PM »

Ha! I had to read that twice. I guess you meant 50lbs, not 50kgs, which isn't bad.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2005, 09:58:41 PM »
Ha! I had to read that twice. I guess you meant 50lbs, not 50kgs, which isn't bad.

yeah sarcasm sucks at insults

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2005, 08:35:03 AM »

even 50 kilos ain't shit, what's that 110lbs, pussy weight for a flat db press.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Canadiancutie

• Getbig II
  • MissY WhoEver
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2005, 12:28:21 PM »
My gym is heavily dominated by men and whenever i use a bench or a squat rack i feel like im taking up space.. so be nice guys :P

Even some of the light weights take the work out seriously.. it's not the amount you lift.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2005, 02:20:49 PM »
My gym is heavily dominated by men and whenever i use a bench or a squat rack i feel like im taking up space.. so be nice guys :P

Even some of the light weights take the work out seriously.. it's not the amount you lift.

hey cutie, i was just kidding.  sarcasm is an ass so i was just avoiding retaliation.  i really respect girls who have the guts to work out in the free weights area...it's pretty hot, too.  so keep doin what you're doin, no worries.  guys should be chivalrous inside the gym and out.

blaster

• Getbig III
  • If bodybuilding was easy, everyone would be big!
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2005, 03:31:10 PM »
even 50 kilos ain't shit, what's that 110lbs, pussy weight for a flat db press.

I'm not talking about YOUR 1 rep max, dude, but for reps.  :o

young guns

• Getbig IV
  • being mortal sucks...
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2005, 04:41:54 PM »
the answer to this prob is to merely, consume 1 whey shake, and 2 cans of tuna..right before lifting...while your in between sets just let em rip, enough methane will keep just about anybody away.