Author Topic: Anti-LGBT Baker FORCED to bake cakes for Homosexual Weddings?  (Read 91258 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Anti-LGBT Baker FORCED to bake cakes for Homosexual Weddings?
« Reply #350 on: February 04, 2015, 10:38:43 AM »
Christians must follow the laws just like everyone else

Rehabilitation class over

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #351 on: February 04, 2015, 11:54:59 AM »
Christians must follow the laws just like everyone else

Rehabilitation class over

You know those are the same dumb asses that want the country and Constitution were founded on Christianity and the Bible.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #352 on: April 27, 2015, 03:42:13 PM »
Bakers face $135,000 fine for refusing to make cake for gay wedding
By Todd Starnes
Published April 26, 2015
FoxNews.com

The owners of an Oregon bakery learned Friday that there is a severe price to pay for following their Christian faith.

A judge for the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries (BOLI) recommended a lesbian couple should receive $135,000 in damages for their emotional suffering after Sweet Cakes by Melissa refused to make them a wedding cake.

As a result - Aaron and Melissa Klein could lose everything they own — including their home.

The Oregonian reports the recommended penalty is not final and could be raised or lowered by State Labor Commissioner Brad Avakian.

The controversy started in 2013 when Aaron Klein declined to provide a cake for a lesbian wedding. Later that year, the women filed a complaint against Klein and his wife, Melissa.

"The facts of this case clearly demonstrate that the Kleins unlawfully discriminated against the Complainants,” read a statement by the BOLI to the Oregonian. “Under Oregon law, businesses cannot discriminate or refuse service based on sexual orientation, just as they cannot turn customers away because of race, sex, disability, age or religion. Our agency is committed to fair and thorough enforcement of Oregon civil rights laws, including the Equality Act of 2007."

Within hours of the ruling, the Family Research Council facilitated the establishment of a GoFundMe account to help the Kleins raise the money the need. In less than eight hours, more than $100,000 was raised.

However, late Friday GoFundMe pulled the plug — sending this message to would-be donors:

“After careful review by our team, we have found the ‘Support Sweet Cakes By Melissa’ campaign to be in violation of our Terms and Conditions,” the message read. “The money raised thus far will still be made available for withdrawal.”

Family Research Council President Tony Perkins blasted the harsh penalty levied against the Kleins.

“The state of Oregon has given a new meaning to shotgun weddings,” Perkins said. “You will be forced to participate in same-sex weddings and violate your beliefs.”

Perkins wondered what impact the Oregon ruling would have on religious freedom across the country.

“If Americans are not free to decline to be involved in a specific activity that violates their beliefs, then we are not free,” he said.

It’s not exactly clear what led GoFundMe to drop the fundraising drive - but Perkins blamed it on gay activists.

“This reveals two very important aspects of the redefinition of marriage, Americans are not going along with it and two - the intolerance of those trying to redefine marriage is historically unprecedented,” Perkins said.

Samaritan's Purse a Christian ministry run by Franklin Graham, has stepped up and offered to raise funds for the embattled Christian couple. The website can be found here.

Aaron Klein told me they will appeal the judge’s recommended fine.

“All Americans should be free to live and work by their faith without the fear of the government punishing them,” he told me.

Klein told me the gay rights activists won’t be satisfied until her family is living in a homeless shelter.

“This is not coming out of our business assets - the business has already been shuttered,” he said. “This is coming out of personal property. They want to take our house. They want to put us out on the street.”

Melissa told me the state of Oregon is trying to send a message to Christian business owners.

“They are trying to say — look what will happen to you if you decide to live by your faith,” she said. “They won’t be satisfied until we lose everything.”

The Kleins said they were incredibly moved by the generosity of their supporters.

And while they were disappointed that GoFundMe removed the campaign - they are not upset.

“If GoFundMe does not believe in our cause or what we are doing — that’s their right,” Aaron told me. “And that’s what we are fighting for. We should have that right, too. If it goes against our faith or beliefs we should be able to say we won’t do that.”

The Kleins also had kind words for Franklin Graham. They talked by telephone on Friday.

“A while ago Franklin told me that if I needed anything to give him a call,” Aaron said. “So I called him after the verdict. He said to not get discouraged — that God is good.”

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/04/26/bakers-must-pay-135000-for-refusing-to-make-cake-for-gay-wedding/

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #353 on: April 27, 2015, 03:59:40 PM »
So a Jewish baker should be made to bake a cake for a neo-nazi? 

yes

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #354 on: April 27, 2015, 05:19:09 PM »
yes

So a black owned bakery should have to bake a cake for the Grand Wizard of the KKK with little black people hanging from trees on the cake top? Sounds reasonable  ::)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #355 on: April 27, 2015, 06:23:42 PM »
Is a Neo-Nazi or the KKK the same as gender, race, religion, sexual orientation and protected against discrimination under the law

I'm not aware that it is

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #356 on: April 27, 2015, 07:52:21 PM »
fire up the oven and start baking a lot of cupcakes.
they'll make a ton o' money.
w

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #357 on: April 28, 2015, 07:12:05 AM »
Is a Neo-Nazi or the KKK the same as gender, race, religion, sexual orientation and protected against discrimination under the law

I'm not aware that it is

exactly.....ideology that is not a religion is not protected....

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #358 on: April 28, 2015, 08:21:59 AM »
Thats cool...all the fags who have threatned these people should be made to wear pink triangles and marched to the showers. Fuck them.....its never enough for you libs is it. It will be I guess when you get to burn the Constitution huh.....
L

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #359 on: April 28, 2015, 09:06:03 AM »
Thats cool...all the fags who have threatned these people should be made to wear pink triangles and marched to the showers. Fuck them.....its never enough for you libs is it. It will be I guess when you get to burn the Constitution huh.....

the story on this page didn't mention anything about threats

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #360 on: April 28, 2015, 11:12:03 AM »
They threatened the crowd fund people.....a whole bunch of pansy ass fags get together and demand demand demand......keep demanding...they assume incorrectly people like them.
L

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #361 on: April 28, 2015, 02:46:09 PM »
They threatened the crowd fund people.....a whole bunch of pansy ass fags get together and demand demand demand......keep demanding...they assume incorrectly people like them.

the story posted above doesn't mention any threats

all it says it that super fundie Tony Perkins "blamed it on gay activists"

It’s not exactly clear what led GoFundMe to drop the fundraising drive - but Perkins blamed it on gay activists

are there other actual threats against "these people" (from your first statement I assumed "these people" were the couple who own the bakery) or GoFundMe?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #362 on: June 09, 2015, 07:53:38 PM »

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #363 on: June 10, 2015, 10:24:47 AM »
Time to order a Mohamed head cake from a Muslim baker....

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #364 on: July 03, 2015, 11:05:23 AM »
Christian bakers fined $135,000 for refusing to make wedding cake for lesbians
By Todd Starnes 
Published July 03, 2015

The owners of a mom and pop bakery have just learned there is a significant price to pay for following their religious beliefs.

Aaron and Melissa Klein, the owners of Sweet Cakes By Melissa, have been ordered to pay $135,000 in damages to a lesbian couple after they refused to bake them a wedding cake in 2013.

Click here to follow Todd on Facebook for Conservative Conversation!

The Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industry (BOLI) awarded $60,000 to Laurel Bowman-Cryer and $75,000 in damages to Rachel Bowman-Cryer for “emotional suffering.”

“This case is not about a wedding cake or a marriage,” the final order read. “It is about a business’s refusal to serve someone because of their sexual orientation. Under Oregon law, that is illegal.”

According to the BOLI, the lesbian couple suffered great angst. One of the women “felt depressed and questioned whether there was something inherently wrong with the sexual orientation she was born with.” They said she had “difficulty controlling her emotions and cried a lot.”

The other woman “experienced extreme anger, outrage, embarrassment, exhaustion, frustration, intense sorrow and shame” simply because the Kleins refused to provide them with a wedding cake.

Jeez. That must have been one heck of a cake.

It sounds as if the state of Oregon is sending a stern warning to Christian business owners like the Kleins.

“Within Oregon’s public accommodations law is the basic principle of human decency that every person, regardless of their sexual orientation, has the freedom to fully participate in society,” the ruling states. “The ability to enter public places, to shop and dine, to move about unfettered by bigotry.”

Does The Bureau of Labor and Industry truly believe that Christians who want to follow the teachings of their faith are bigots?

It certainly seems to me the only entity guilty of unfettered bigotry is the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industry.

Since the day they turned away the lesbian couple’s business, the Kleins have suffered greatly. Their business was subjected to boycotts and pickets. LGBT activists and their supporters threatened any wedding vendor that did business with Sweet Cakes By Melissa.

Mrs. Klein told me her five children were subjected to death threats -- death threats for simply refusing to participate in a same-sex wedding.  That doesn’t sound very tolerant to me.

Eventually, the bullying became so severe the family had to shut down their retail store and Mr. Klein had to take a job picking up garbage. Today, Mrs. Klein continues to make cakes in her home.

“We were just running our business the best we could – following the Lord’s example,” she said. “I’m just blown away by the ruling. They are punishing us for not participating in the wedding.”

Mr. Klein said he plans on appealing the ruling and had harsh words for BOLI Commissioner Brad Avakian.

“This man has no power over me,” Klein said. “He seems to think he can tell me to be quiet. That doesn’t sit well with me and I refuse to comply.”

Mr. Klein accused the BOLI of ordering him to not speak publicly about the case – an order he said is unconstitutional.

“When my constitutional freedoms have been violated by the state I’m going to speak out,” he said. “That’s the way it is.”

Regardless, the Klein case has demonstrated once again that gay rights trump religious liberty. Other Christian business owners should pay close attention.

The Kleins had a choice. They could obey the government or they could obey God. They chose God – and now they must pay the price.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/07/03/christian-bakers-fined-135000-for-refusing-to-make-wedding-cake-for-lesbians.html?intcmp=trending

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #365 on: July 03, 2015, 11:07:10 AM »
Just make the cake and shut up...or better yet, farm it out to another bakery and skim some profit off the top

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #366 on: July 04, 2015, 10:35:18 AM »
or find a job that allows you to practice your own beliefs and not have to deal with the public.
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #367 on: July 04, 2015, 10:38:23 AM »
"Eventually, the bullying became so severe the family had to shut down their retail store and Mr. Klein had to take a job picking up garbage. "

I dunno about that.  Anti-bullying protocols in schools are at an insane high.  You mention the word "bullying" and there is paperwork, committees and downtown involved instantly now.  If it was so bad they had to start picking up trash, I dunno, sounds a little dramatized there.

There is heavy, heavy opinion in the piece.. it's not a news piece, it's an editorial, so they may be a little looser with the facts/exaggeration.  I agree a bakery should be able to bake what they want and pass on jobs they want, like any business.  The bakery down the street can make the cake and gain market share, win.  But "bullied to bad we had to pick up trash" sounds like bullshit.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #368 on: July 04, 2015, 11:48:50 AM »
or find a job that allows you to practice your own beliefs and not have to deal with the public.

They're just being a pain in the ass

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #369 on: July 05, 2015, 08:00:33 AM »

exactly

there is a reason why we don't have Amish bus drivers

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #370 on: July 13, 2015, 09:38:33 AM »
State of Oregon now targeting the home of bakers who refused to make lesbian wedding cake
11 Jul, 2015
by Rachel Alexander

Aaron and Melissa Klein, the owners of Sweet Cakes by Melissa, were ordered by the State of Oregon to pay $135,000 in damages to a lesbian couple for refusing to bake a cake for their wedding. If they don’t come up with the money by July 13, the state is threatening to place a lien on their home. They’ve also bizarrely been placed under a gag order that prohibits them from publicly speaking about their refusal to make cakes for same-sex weddings. The state’s Bureau of Labor and Industry (BOLI) Commissioner Brad Avakian is a vocal LGBT supporter and appears to be doing everything he can to ruin the couple.

Fox News’ Todd Starnes reports,

Avakian’s strong arm tactics against the Christian bakers have outraged Christians across the nation.

“This guy would make Mussolini proud,” said Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research council. “This is a wannabe dictator.”

It certainly appears that Avakian and the state of Oregon have declared war on the Klein family.

Brad Avakian“Not only do they want to drive them out of business, but they want to make them homeless,” Perkins told me.

The Kleins say they are filing a stay and do plan on appealing the state’s decision.

“Brad and his cohorts at BOLI have overstepped their constitutional rights in requiring me to cease and desist from my constitutional freedom,” Mr. Klein said. “I will fight them with every last breath I have.”

GoFundMe caved in to pressure and disabled a page that had been set up to raise money for the Kleins. The couple has already stated they are going to be forced to file for bankruptcy. While many of us are saying “lucky it didn’t happen to me,” who’s next? Florists? Bed and Breakfasts?

http://rightwingnews.com/top-news/state-of-oregon-now-targeting-the-home-of-bakers-who-refused-to-make-lesbian-wedding-cake/

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #371 on: July 13, 2015, 11:51:09 AM »
State of Oregon now targeting the home of bakers who refused to make lesbian wedding cake
11 Jul, 2015
by Rachel Alexander

Aaron and Melissa Klein, the owners of Sweet Cakes by Melissa, were ordered by the State of Oregon to pay $135,000 in damages to a lesbian couple for refusing to bake a cake for their wedding. If they don’t come up with the money by July 13, the state is threatening to place a lien on their home. They’ve also bizarrely been placed under a gag order that prohibits them from publicly speaking about their refusal to make cakes for same-sex weddings. The state’s Bureau of Labor and Industry (BOLI) Commissioner Brad Avakian is a vocal LGBT supporter and appears to be doing everything he can to ruin the couple.

Fox News’ Todd Starnes reports,

Avakian’s strong arm tactics against the Christian bakers have outraged Christians across the nation.

“This guy would make Mussolini proud,” said Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research council. “This is a wannabe dictator.”

It certainly appears that Avakian and the state of Oregon have declared war on the Klein family.

Brad Avakian“Not only do they want to drive them out of business, but they want to make them homeless,” Perkins told me.

The Kleins say they are filing a stay and do plan on appealing the state’s decision.

“Brad and his cohorts at BOLI have overstepped their constitutional rights in requiring me to cease and desist from my constitutional freedom,” Mr. Klein said. “I will fight them with every last breath I have.”

GoFundMe caved in to pressure and disabled a page that had been set up to raise money for the Kleins. The couple has already stated they are going to be forced to file for bankruptcy. While many of us are saying “lucky it didn’t happen to me,” who’s next? Florists? Bed and Breakfasts?

http://rightwingnews.com/top-news/state-of-oregon-now-targeting-the-home-of-bakers-who-refused-to-make-lesbian-wedding-cake/

I see a gofundme in their future.. again

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #372 on: July 13, 2015, 01:26:21 PM »
The fine was not just for refusing to bake a cake.   ::)

-----------
When Aaron Klein received the complaint, he immediately published it on his Facebook page in full, with Laurel’s name and address included.

State officials told the Bowman-Cryers that if they couldn’t protect the foster children in their home from the harassment that resulted from the Klein’s public posting of their home address, etc., they would lose the children—the children they were trying to adopt. Can you say stressful?!

The Bowman-Cryers weren’t awarded $135,000 only for the pain and suffering they experienced as a result of being refused service based on their sexual orientation but also as a result of the Kleins’ decision to dox them and then go on national media across the country. The media firestorm brought with it death threats, harassment, and the possibility of losing their children. The court found that the Bowman-Cryers suffered intensely, and that their suffering was a direct reaction of the Kleins’ actions both in refusing the cake and in keeping their refusal in the media.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #373 on: July 13, 2015, 01:49:22 PM »
The fine was not just for refusing to bake a cake.   ::)

-----------
When Aaron Klein received the complaint, he immediately published it on his Facebook page in full, with Laurel’s name and address included.

State officials told the Bowman-Cryers that if they couldn’t protect the foster children in their home from the harassment that resulted from the Klein’s public posting of their home address, etc., they would lose the children—the children they were trying to adopt. Can you say stressful?!

The Bowman-Cryers weren’t awarded $135,000 only for the pain and suffering they experienced as a result of being refused service based on their sexual orientation but also as a result of the Kleins’ decision to dox them and then go on national media across the country. The media firestorm brought with it death threats, harassment, and the possibility of losing their children. The court found that the Bowman-Cryers suffered intensely, and that their suffering was a direct reaction of the Kleins’ actions both in refusing the cake and in keeping their refusal in the media.

so christians who believe that the Kleins were being persecuted for their religious beliefs decided to respond by persecuting this gay couple, including death threats

nice job fundies

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #374 on: July 13, 2015, 02:00:17 PM »
Did anyone really think they were getting fined 135K just because they didn't bake a damn cake?

Well... ok... we are talking about religious retards here.... so yeah, they probably did think that.  Obviously, the courts didn't
http://www.oregon.gov/boli/SiteAssets/pages/press/Sweet%20Cakes%20FO.pdf

And that gag order?  The violation of their First Amendment and religious persecution for not allowing them to talk about their beliefs?  Another bunch of bullshit that religious retards kept repeating without a clue.  The judge did not in fact bar the Kleins from talking about their beliefs, he only barred them from advertising that their bakery will not serve gay couples. Because, as we know, refusing service based on sexual orientation is against Oregon law.  So they can talk about their beliefs all they want.  They can post what their religious limitations allows them to do or not to do on their FB page.  They can go on tv and talk about their "faith" and condemn gay people all they want.

But what they can't do is violate the state of Oregon discrimination law.  

-----------------

NOW, THEREFORE, as authorized by ORS 659A.403(4), and to further eliminate the effect of the violation of ORS 659A.403 by Respondent Aaron Klein, the Commissioner of the Bureau of Labor and Industries hereby orders Respondents Aaron Klein and Melissa Klein to cease and desist from denying the full and equal accommodations, advantages, facilities, and privileges of Sweetcakes by Melissa to any person based on that person’s sexual orientation.

NOW, THEREFORE, as authorized by ORS 659A.850(4), and to further eliminate the effect of the violations of ORS 659.A409 by Respondents Aaron Klein and Melissa Klein, the Commissioner of the Bureau of Labor and Industries hereby orders Respondents Aaron Klein and Melissa Klein to cease and desist from publishing, circulating, issuing or displaying, or causing to be published, circulated, issued or displayed, any communication, notice, advertisement or sign of any kind to the effect that any of the accommodations, advantages, facilities, services or privileges of a place of public accommodation will be refused, withheld from or denied to, or that any discrimination will be made against, any person on account of sexual orientation.