Author Topic: Hey Bod,how do you feel about Dustin at short?  (Read 2167 times)

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
Hey Bod,how do you feel about Dustin at short?
« on: December 02, 2009, 10:43:49 AM »
He said the Red Sux asked him to move to short.

body88

Re: Hey Bod,how do you feel about Dustin at short?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 12:33:46 PM »
I don't care.  If they can bring in a player that betters the team, then why not? 

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 05:56:54 AM »
I don't care.  If they can bring in a player that betters the team, then why not? 

Can he do it? and who plays second?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 06:48:34 AM »
If Lowell stays at third, the left side of the infield will have poor defense.

I can only see Epstein doing this if he feels he will acquire a decent 2bman, and the only one I can think that will upgrade the sox will be Uggla.

IMO, the sox best move would be to re-sign Bay and make a move at Lackey.  That way they keep Buchholz and Matzusaka in the back of the rotation and have a solid 1-2-3.  That's a really good pitching staff.

If they can't get Bay back, they'll need a big bat, and I don't know who that will be.  All this stuff about acquiring A Gonzalez.   A Gonzalez will  cost so much since he's under 6M per for the next two years.

I'm interested in how this all plays out.
Y

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 06:58:34 AM »
If Lowell stays at third, the left side of the infield will have poor defense.

I can only see Epstein doing this if he feels he will acquire a decent 2bman, and the only one I can think that will upgrade the sox will be Uggla.

IMO, the sox best move would be to re-sign Bay and make a move at Lackey.  That way they keep Buchholz and Matzusaka in the back of the rotation and have a solid 1-2-3.  That's a really good pitching staff.

If they can't get Bay back, they'll need a big bat, and I don't know who that will be.  All this stuff about acquiring A Gonzalez.   A Gonzalez will  cost so much since he's under 6M per for the next two years.

I'm interested in how this all plays out.

Uggla can hit but is nothing special at second.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 07:28:06 AM »

Uggla can hit but is nothing special at second.

Right.  But the sox need additional production, even if they sign Bay.  The problem is, the position they have a need to fill, SS, doesn't generally have much offensive firepower.  I think that's why they're contemplating moving Pedroia to SS.

They will benefit from a full year of Victor Martinez, so that should help them, but they really have to sign Bay/Holliday.
Y

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 07:50:26 AM »
Right.  But the sox need additional production, even if they sign Bay.  The problem is, the position they have a need to fill, SS, doesn't generally have much offensive firepower.  I think that's why they're contemplating moving Pedroia to SS.

They will benefit from a full year of Victor Martinez, so that should help them, but they really have to sign Bay/Holliday.

True they need a corner outfielder but look how bad their middle defense would be if they move Dustin to SS and he's not made for it.
Victor behind the plate,Dustin at short and a weaker second base.that a recipe for disaster.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 07:53:26 AM »

True they need a corner outfielder but look how bad their middle defense would be if they move Dustin to SS and he's not made for it.
Victor behind the plate,Dustin at short and a weaker second base.that a recipe for disaster.

Definitely.  It's not Theo's way either - he's big on total player evaluation.  That's why his reluctant to give long term deals to players that don't fit the mold.

I really don't know whether they're going to make a big splash, or wait until a better crop of players is available.  They're still a top AL team, but they have issues to address.  Beckett's going to be looking for huge money after this year.
Y

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 08:19:38 AM »
Definitely.  It's not Theo's way either - he's big on total player evaluation.  That's why his reluctant to give long term deals to players that don't fit the mold.

I really don't know whether they're going to make a big splash, or wait until a better crop of players is available.  They're still a top AL team, but they have issues to address.  Beckett's going to be looking for huge money after this year.

Eh,none of this will matter after the Yanks get Roy :D

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 08:23:26 AM »

Eh,none of this will matter after the Yanks get Roy :D

I think they might, but I think they're going to be reluctant to spend too much this year.
Y

body88

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 11:30:06 AM »
The Sox have talked about taking a step back for the betterment of the team in the long run.  Lucino wants the revanue sharing program overhauled and I agree with him.  No more bottom feeding teams pockting all their luxury tax money and not spending it on player salaries.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 12:00:26 PM »
The Sox have talked about taking a step back for the betterment of the team in the long run.  Lucino wants the revanue sharing program overhauled and I agree with him.  No more bottom feeding teams pockting all their luxury tax money and not spending it on player salaries.

I agree with him.  Henry pointed out that the worst teams have the best margins.

Not saying you, but I don't know if RSN will handle a step back very well.  I still think they should take one more shot while they have the current personnel.  Beckett's going to cost a ton next year, and, if they don't sign him, will be very tough to replace.  I know you're high on Buchholz, but he's very hit or miss right now.

I think with signing Lackey and keeping Matsuzaka and Buchholz in the 4-5 slot, that give the sox a pitching staff that can hang with any team in baseball.
Y

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 12:04:39 PM »
The Sox have talked about taking a step back for the betterment of the team in the long run.  Lucino wants the revanue sharing program overhauled and I agree with him.  No more bottom feeding teams pockting all their luxury tax money and not spending it on player salaries.

X2 with Lucino.

body88

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 12:56:34 PM »
I agree with him.  Henry pointed out that the worst teams have the best margins.

Not saying you, but I don't know if RSN will handle a step back very well.  I still think they should take one more shot while they have the current personnel.  Beckett's going to cost a ton next year, and, if they don't sign him, will be very tough to replace.  I know you're high on Buchholz, but he's very hit or miss right now.

I think with signing Lackey and keeping Matsuzaka and Buchholz in the 4-5 slot, that give the sox a pitching staff that can hang with any team in baseball.

I hear you, but there is just not a lot out there right now.  It's going to cost the farm to get any of the guys available, and Theo won't do it if it weakens the team long term.  Another factor is the Yankees, they will pay whatever a player wants and if they want someone the sox ain't getting them.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 12:58:46 PM »

I hear you, but there is just not a lot out there right now.  It's going to cost the farm to get any of the guys available, and Theo won't do it if it weakens the team long term.  Another factor is the Yankees, they will pay whatever a player wants and if they want someone the sox ain't getting them.

I don't think the sox and Yankees will be competing for the same players right now.  Other than LF, they have entirely different needs.
Y

body88

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 02:14:37 PM »
I don't think the sox and Yankees will be competing for the same players right now.  Other than LF, they have entirely different needs.

Everyone needs pitching.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2009, 08:36:10 AM »
Herald says they signed Scutaro to a 2 yr deal with a team option. Big mistake IMO.

body88

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2009, 08:49:10 AM »
Herald says they signed Scutaro to a 2 yr deal with a team option. Big mistake IMO.

I don't think so.  He's had two very good years in Toronto.  The more he plays, the better his numbers get.  The sox won 95 games with Gonzo at short, and this guy is a far better offensive player than Gonzo.  He's a good fielder, too.  This is a good short term move until a long term option is available.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 04:21:42 PM »
I don't think so.  He's had two very good years in Toronto.  The more he plays, the better his numbers get.  The sox won 95 games with Gonzo at short, and this guy is a far better offensive player than Gonzo.  He's a good fielder, too.  This is a good short term move until a long term option is available.
I'd rather have Gonzo tbh. Scutaro was a utility guy up until 2 years ago and im always leery of signing guys after a "career year". Theo at best is shaky with middle infield free agents and he's coming off a foot problem. I agree that its only 2 years so its not that big a deal.

body88

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009, 09:25:28 PM »
I'd rather have Gonzo tbh. Scutaro was a utility guy up until 2 years ago and im always leery of signing guys after a "career year". Theo at best is shaky with middle infield free agents and he's coming off a foot problem. I agree that its only 2 years so its not that big a deal.

Not me....Scutaro is a better player, by a lot - imo.  Gonzo had an amazing glove, but he stunk at the plate.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2009, 12:39:18 PM »
Scutaro had one decent year in his walk year and has been a below average player every single year before that.  To me, he reeks of Julio Lugo.  Players don't magically get better at age 34 and just stay that way.

He's not very good, but he's better at hitting than Gonzalez, so it's still an upgrade.
Y

body88

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2009, 01:41:56 PM »
Scutaro had one decent year in his walk year and has been a below average player every single year before that.  To me, he reeks of Julio Lugo.  Players don't magically get better at age 34 and just stay that way.

He's not very good, but he's better at hitting than Gonzalez, so it's still an upgrade.

He had a poor year in 2008?  The more he's played, the better he's gotten.  If he "stays the same" as he was last year for the next two years, it will be a fantastic move.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2009, 07:13:58 PM »
He had a poor year in 2008?  The more he's played, the better he's gotten.  If he "stays the same" as he was last year for the next two years, it will be a fantastic move.

I think his 2008 was really poor.  AVG/OBP/SLG/OPS  was .267 / .341 / .356 / .697.   That's pretty bad.  Slugging .356 is downright anemic.  In fact, I don't know what's worse:  Scutaro's 2008, or the fact that I'm answering this at 10 o'clock on a Saturday night.

I'm not saying this because he's on the Sox, either.  I had him as a fill-in on my FBB team last year and he did pretty well for me.  It's just that I'm not convinced that one good year is the norm for him since he's done nothing close to it any other year.  I don't see players his age improving and just staying that way.

I think they could get the same production from Lowrie at a fraction of the cost, and put the saved dollars toward Holliday, who would be awesome at Fenway.

Y